EA Forums - Banner

Question about batting in rebounds mid air and other rebounds

Something I never learned , it I see lots of people do it online . When they take a shot , and a rebound comes out, and when they have a couple offensive players around the net , they seem to automatically try and one time the puck . Even if it’s in mid air . I play singles online and it honestly looks like he’s not even selecting that player . Sometimes 2-3 times in a row I see this animation. I’m wondering if there’s a button combo to hold down to put the players in rebound mode , or is it just like a one timer ? Any ideas ?

Replies

• There's nothing you can do to manually trigger this animation.
  • So is it best to not try and switch players after a shot on net ?
  • I know holding L2 and doing a slap shot will one time a loose puck , but these quick rebound batting in I still can’t figure out
  • They higher your guys “hockey iq” trait is ....the more likely he will try this.
    There’s is no button ...it’s just about having good positioning in front of the net.
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    There's nothing you can do to manually trigger this animation.

And there should be. Both in the offensive and neutral zone.
  • I recorded a little clip from a game . If you watch the oiler puck carrier, he is highlighted in grey. . He shots the puck and the oiler trailing down the middle never gets highlighted in grey and he automatically takes a swipe at the rebound , Sometimes I see this multiple times in the same set of rebounds . My team never seems to auto shoot . Any ideas?
    youtube.com/watch?v=svtiTMB_d9g
  • Won’t let me post a link , (says I’m too new ) so just google what I put down as a partial you tube link if youd like to see what I kinda mean
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    RSall14 wrote: »

I don't see how this can be done. When you are not in possession of the puck, the RS is for hitting. Too many people would be complaining about interference hits while trying to bat loose pucks in, and with reason. Some things need to be automatic, like puck deflections. However, more logic could be applied to it to clean it up a bit. Like for instance actually looking at the shot and being poised for it rather than just being in the general vicinity of a shot and your back turned to it.

You have a suggestion how to implement this?

I don't see how this can be done. When you are not in possession of the puck, the RS is for hitting. Too many people would be complaining about interference hits while trying to bat loose pucks in, and with reason. Some things need to be automatic, like puck deflections. However, more logic could be applied to it to clean it up a bit. Like for instance actually looking at the shot and being poised for it rather than just being in the general vicinity of a shot and your back turned to it.

Get hitting off the RS.
    RS could always be your stick, and maybe net front and board play could be made more interesting.
    EASHL player

Get hitting off the RS.
    RS could always be your stick, and maybe net front and board play could be made more interesting.

Agreed it’s already bad enough trying hit a guy only to wind up and take a slap shot at his shins. Or you hit him the first time and it’s a bounce off and you line him up for the second hit and end up shooting the puck off his Stick. Very frustrating.

But how else would you direct a hit? Or aim your hit? If you tried Mapping it to anywhere else how would it work? Where would you map it to? Unfortunately it needs to be on the analong stick. For aim/direction of hit, backing off of a hit, making a soft hit etc. There is so many options with using the analong for hitting that it must stay this way. there is no other logical place on the controller.

I hope somehow just like @WainGretSki said they tune it up a bit, make for less mistakes in animations and logic. I agree with deflections/redirects you should be facing the shot and ready to make that play. Logic like that needs to be tuned a little. Same with hitting in the dZone your obviously not trying to one timer the puck outta your zone your trying get a hit on. That logic can be cleaned up I’m sure.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

Get hitting off the RS.

Not a bad idea at all. In fact, I have thought about it as well, just don't see another button that could be used to replace RS hitting. Don't forget, your button mapping has to be for all modes, so line changes and strats and whatnot have to be taken into account.

As @Snapcaster1 said though, there are times where you want a hit, but shoot the puck instead, or vice versa. Removing RS hitting would fix all of that in one fell swoop, just don't see how it could be done though.
  • Strategies and line changes could be a Dpad hold and a RS wheel, like GTA/Red Dead's L1 Weapon Wheel.
    Frees up playstation's Square to be Hit.

As to Directing/Aiming/Softness of a hit, Does RS really allow any of that? When you hold RS in any direction near a puck carrier, doesn't it lock on to them?

Loose puck battles are so ugly, would really like to see RS freed up for better stick work / knocking around of the puck.
    EASHL player
  • Strategies and line changes could be a Dpad hold and a RS wheel, like GTA/Red Dead's L1 Weapon Wheel.
    Frees up playstation's Square to be Hit.

As to Directing/Aiming/Softness of a hit, Does RS really allow any of that? When you hold RS in any direction near a puck carrier, doesn't it lock on to them?

Loose puck battles are so ugly, would really like to see RS freed up for better stick work / knocking around of the puck.

Not a bad idea. I like the way you think.

Get hitting off the RS.

Or maybe an easier, albeit temporary solution, is to press L2 + RS for a hit. Normal RS would be to shoot a loose puck and not go for a hit. Would certainly remove that randomness between a hit or a shot.