EA Forums - Banner

Ice tilt

Replies

• I cannot for my life understand how any player that have played more than 100 online games do not see that Tilt/DDA exists. I also cannot understand why those people lurking around these forums and defend EA at all cost, what´s their motive? I mean, they clearly do not have a problem with the gameplay so why not play the game instead of hanging around here defending EA?

I stopped playing for a few months because the game was too frustrating even while winning at a 2:1 ratio. I recently started playing again a few games here and there and have been winning at an 8:1 ratio with a base gold team. I Just swept Division 2, some games were frustrating but I managed to battle through them. The two first games in Div 1 was ridiculous, the amount of tilt against my team was absolutely disgusting.

The usual reply to this is that Div 1 is a whole different level! But the thing is i first matched up against a Div 4 opponent with a crap team. He´s silver players were superhumans and yeah, totally unplayable for me. The usual reply then is that there is a lot of very good players in the lower division with alternative accounts.

But how do the matchup engine know that the opponent in Div 4 with this crappy team and mediocre win ratio will be a really tough test for me as i enter div 1. Why not match me up against a Div 1 opponent with a good record and a good team instead? This is not random, this is a pattern that repeats on every alt account i have played on for the past 4 years. Either you are on a good streak or you are on a bad streak. Sometimes the good streaks last for a couple of games only and the bad streaks can hold on for weeks in a row. Maybe some players have figured out how to break a slump, maybe you break the slump by winning and the good players always seem to find a way to win.

It´s so painfully obvious that EA adjusts the difficulty so we don't quit playing because we are satisfied, but continue playing because we are frustrated.

It is connection related and not the game forcing its way to give you a loss.

Funny how so many people complain the EA can't do anything right, yet ice-tilt is flawlessly executed.

The game isn't out to get you. When you have a flawless connection, your AI plays much better, just as you do.
    When you feel you are struggling, so is your AI. Again. Connection related. Whoever has the better connection to the servers has more chance and opportunities on their side.
    Amen.
  • xPDogg65x wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    ThomasN7 wrote: »
    People are still ignoring the fact that momentum is the deciding factor if you win or not. Get momentum and your skills work but not having momentum your skill is diminished because EA feels this is the best way to make a fair game which ofcourse we all know is not the way to a successful hockey game. Until they fix how momentum works then it will always be frustrating to play no matter what kind of bug fixes their are. It is all about the momentum or whatever they want to call it. The game isn't trash but it's not exactly what people were hoping for either. The diehards who still are playing this game only still play this game because they love hockey. I love hockey but this game keeps breaking your heart every year.

There is no momentum. It hasn't been in the game since the previous generation of systems.

This has been stated over and over again but some people will just not believe it.

Some say aliens exist while others don’t. You’re choice to believe wether in extraterrestrial beings exist so I guess you can choose to believe wether ice tilt exists or not, despite EA saying it don’t exist.
  • I cannot for my life understand how any player that have played more than 100 online games do not see that Tilt/DDA exists. I also cannot understand why those people lurking around these forums and defend EA at all cost, what´s their motive? I mean, they clearly do not have a problem with the gameplay so why not play the game instead of hanging around here defending EA?

I stopped playing for a few months because the game was too frustrating even while winning at a 2:1 ratio. I recently started playing again a few games here and there and have been winning at an 8:1 ratio with a base gold team. I Just swept Division 2, some games were frustrating but I managed to battle through them. The two first games in Div 1 was ridiculous, the amount of tilt against my team was absolutely disgusting.

The usual reply to this is that Div 1 is a whole different level! But the thing is i first matched up against a Div 4 opponent with a crap team. He´s silver players were superhumans and yeah, totally unplayable for me. The usual reply then is that there is a lot of very good players in the lower division with alternative accounts.

But how do the matchup engine know that the opponent in Div 4 with this crappy team and mediocre win ratio will be a really tough test for me as i enter div 1. Why not match me up against a Div 1 opponent with a good record and a good team instead? This is not random, this is a pattern that repeats on every alt account i have played on for the past 4 years. Either you are on a good streak or you are on a bad streak. Sometimes the good streaks last for a couple of games only and the bad streaks can hold on for weeks in a row. Maybe some players have figured out how to break a slump, maybe you break the slump by winning and the good players always seem to find a way to win.

It´s so painfully obvious that EA adjusts the difficulty so we don't quit playing because we are satisfied, but continue playing because we are frustrated.

Well said bravo
  • ThomasN7
    118 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    So when you play games when you are down 2-0 within 2 min of the game and it just so happens you score 2 quick goals to tie it, you mean there is no ice tilt, DDA or momentum going on here or at the end of every period you already know the percentage chance of scoring goes up greatly is not altering the games difficulty ? I know I am not the smartest person in the world but I am by far no dummy. Whatever it is they want to call it, it is messing up the game big time. They need to fix it how it works where the game is dependent upon your skill and only your skill.

Yesterday I played 4 games. Lost every game on the road and won my home game but let me guess, there is no dda, momentum or ice tilt right ? Why can't EA just fix it and lets all be done talking about this so we have more time to play right ?
  • monz
    958 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    So when you play games when you are down 2-0 within 2 min of the game and it just so happens you score 2 quick goals to tie it, you mean there is no ice tilt, DDA or momentum going on here or at the end of every period you already know the percentage chance of scoring goes up greatly is not altering the games difficulty ? I know I am not the smartest person in the world but I am by far no dummy. Whatever it is they want to call it, it is messing up the game big time. They need to fix it how it works where the game is dependent upon your skill and only your skill.

Yesterday I played 4 games. Lost every game on the road and won my home game but let me guess, there is no dda, momentum or ice tilt right ? Why can't EA just fix it and lets all be done talking about this so we have more time to play right ?

There is no ice tilt etc, this happens all the time IRL. The only difference is we watch pros who have the highest level of understanding. There coached from a young age to compete and battle. They can overcome based on these factors. Most people that play this game have a limited understanding strategically of what to do in situations such as you mentioned. That is why conspiracies of ice tilt etc, run wild. Cause its always easier to blame something else. People wake up the game works this way because it mimics real life hockey!

Like anything else in life there are issues like repetitive goals which goalies are unable to adapt to stop (most of this can be fixed with defensive adjustments, but sometimes common tendy) Improper rule application, such as goalies being allowed to advace towards a puck on an icing without negating it etc. Issues with collision detection, but mostly this game is an accurate representation of NHL hockey.

The real issue with this franchise is a complete and utter lack of care for the product. Ridiculously slow and overabundant menus, one of the worst matchmaking system ever invented(eashl). Terrible crash and DRE event ratio's, awful customer support and malicious corporate greed.
  • It is connection related and not the game forcing its way to give you a loss.

Funny how so many people complain the EA can't do anything right, yet ice-tilt is flawlessly executed.

The game isn't out to get you. When you have a flawless connection, your AI plays much better, just as you do.
    When you feel you are struggling, so is your AI. Again. Connection related. Whoever has a better connection to the servers has more chance and opportunities on their side.

I´m pretty sure it is not connection related because the feeling in those mud games is not different than those in offline challenges where DDA is obvious. But for the sake of the argument, why do EA match me up against people with connection advantages in a pattern. Before the servers, i could actually monitor the TCP packages that was going back and forth to my opponent IP and i would like you to explain how playing a guy from the same town with the same ISP and connected to the same gateway could have a connection advantage?
  • Have played OVP about 100 games, my CR is about 675. What I have noticed recently when players online have declined, I get matched up with players with 100 or more CR less. One game was matched against 475CR player. Whats interesting is those games feel impossible to win. My player ratings severely feel handicapped, and my goalie is always one play behind. I have only won 3 out of last 10 games where I have 100-150CR higher rating. Everytime I lose 10CR... When I play against 50-100CR better players the seems to be tilted for me. I have won almost all last games against way better players in rating.
    Haven’t noticed this so much when playing against equally rated players. Games were all within 10-30ms, so it shouldn’t be lag related. So there seems to be player handicapping/dynamic difficulty based on player rating. Maybe this is also in HUT? This definitely needs to go, or heavily toned down.
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    I've merged replies from other threads back in here, please try to keep the conversation in one place. I've also removed more replies from here, the majority of players here are trying to have a constructive debate please follow their example.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    It is connection related and not the game forcing its way to give you a loss.

When you feel you are struggling, so is your AI. Again. Connection related. Whoever has a better connection to the servers has more chance and opportunities on their side.

I´m pretty sure it is not connection related because the feeling in those mud games is not different than those in offline challenges where DDA is obvious. But for the sake of the argument, why do EA match me up against people with connection advantages in a pattern. Before the servers, i could actually monitor the TCP packages that was going back and forth to my opponent IP and i would like you to explain how playing a guy from the same town with the same ISP and connected to the same gateway could have a connection advantage?

EA has stated multiple times that there is no DDA in NHL.
  • It is not connection. Everyone can't have a bad connection causing crazy stuff to happen when we play. Maybe someone from EA can explain what exactly is happening so we can lay all assumptions to rest. So we all can move on from this subject. That would be nice. :D
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    It is not connection. Everyone can't have a bad connection causing crazy stuff to happen when we play. Maybe someone from EA can explain what exactly is happening so we can lay all assumptions to rest. So we all can move on from this subject. That would be nice. :D

They have. People just refuse to believe it because it's better to blame the game than take accountability.
  • If it’s not called “ice tilt” in the code, they can comfortably say there is no such thing as “ice tilt” in their game.

You guys are asking the wrong questions.
  • JubeiDOK wrote: »
    If it’s not called “ice tilt” in the code, they can comfortably say there is no such thing as “ice tilt” in their game.

Absolutely. How people aren't figuring this out is beyond me.
  • monz
    958 posts Member
    The ice can be "tilted" IRL, why not in a video game? I'll i ever read here, is arrogance and lack of accountability.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    JubeiDOK wrote: »
    If it’s not called “ice tilt” in the code, they can comfortably say there is no such thing as “ice tilt” in their game.

Yes. People should be asking themselves what they can be doing to improve their play so they stop using a scapegoat like ice tilt to explain their losses.
  • Wow, I just lost to someone with worse team than mine... that must mean there is something wrong with the game code
  • [quote="untouchable_BF1;c-2061512"][quote="WainGretSki;c-2061504"][quote="ThomasN7;c-2061459"]As soon as they lower the momentum swings this game will be 100% better. They refuse to do this because they want to make money. They want a person who has no idea how to play this game to pick up the game and be competitive. Its the wrong strategy for this game.

The correct strategy for the game is to cater to the diehard fans and players of the NHL series. Once that happens word of mouth is a very strong form of advertisement. Sports gamers who see their friends enjoying a good sports game will also want to be a part of that. That is the correct way to do it.

Why do you think NBA 2K is so popular. They made a game for their diehard fans and now all their friends want to be good at NBA 2K as well. Friends hang out with friends especially friends who game together.[/quote]

Die hards or not, seems almost everyone has a different view how this game should be. I for one would want the skill lever to be higher. Dekes should require practice to be better. I sometimes feel like this game "caters" too much to casuals as well, but it isn't as simple as that. All in all, I just think the whole game is due to be done from scratch and not carry any old code over. I was expecting this in NHL 15, yet it hasn't happened yet. With the current gen and its massive power over old gen, I was expecting a completely different experience honestly.[/quote]

All of EA’s offerings this gen have been disappointing at best. Madden is literally unplayable, FIFA is still the same boring, ping-pong arcade game it was seven years ago, NHL is still plagued by the same AI issues since NHL 07.

I too was in your shoes expecting greatness and getting massively let-down. The physics introduced this year as far as hitting and skating were things I expected in NHL 16. These were the massive gameplay leaps I was expecting to have early on that we’re continuously polished and refined throughout this generation.

The goalies actually getting rebuilt and re-programmed to be even halfway as believable as NHL 2k8-10 era of goalies was something I expected in this era, and it’s something we haven’t even come close to seeing.

The AI and their ability to make better decisions or at least be programmed to play tighter, more realistic neutral-zone gaps was something I expected this generation that hasn’t come close to happening. I was hoping the AI opponent would actually try to breakout more than one of two ways sometime this generation, that has not happened. I was expecting pucks to not go physically through goalies for CPU and user goals to be something coming this generation, that has not happened. For the love of all that’s hockey, I was expecting in-front of the net refinements, most importantly goalie covers and their ability to play scrambles in a realistic fashion...again that has not even come close to happening.

All of these disappointments still don’t scream “ice tilt” to me, but I just thought I’d add to your comment Wain. These lack of improvements aren’t limited to this series, and it easily shows that the big wigs have chosen the path of little improvements and a double-down on UT rather than actually allowing their developers to make worthwhile, game-changing improvements to their games.

I will not be buying 20. These devs work too hard and us customers deserve so much more than to continue feeding the beast. I feel bad for @NHLDev as I don’t think they’re given an even remote fighting chance at making QoL improvements in the such short life cycle these games have. We know you’re passionate and we know you care. Thanks for all of your responses this year, and thanks for producing the best possible product you can. [/quote]

The devs had the same “short life cycle” for the first NHL up to I believe it was 98 on Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. They also had that same time span in creating NHL 08 (I think this was the first for XBOX 360 and PS3) to NHL 11. I don’t know who was working on the games then, but they were downright amazing, especially the X360 and PS3 iterations.

Dev also stated there was no "catch up logic".

Any other terms or phrases you need to put your suspicions to rest? State the phrase you need to hear and I am sure @NHLDev will use that exact phrase.

Every year we get 45 of these topics and no matter what people hear, they are not convinced. No matter what the dev says, it isn't good enough.
  • JubeiDOK
    76 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Every year we get 45 of these topics and no matter what people hear, they are not convinced. No matter what the dev says, it isn't good enough.

Exactly. If there’s been any consistency in this game, it’s the amount of complaints of inconsistency year after year.

Why do you think that is? Everyone is just a poor loser and they never evolve?

Why not pay a visit to the Rocket League forums and see it it’s a point of discussion over there? Do poor losers only play hockey?

It’s not a designers job to ignore the feedback received from their player base. You can’t have the ego that ur design is perfect and anyone who complains is just bad or stupid. It’s their job to except the feedback and find the reasons behind it.

There are deep seeded issues within this games code that is creating this kind of feedback.

I would love to see this mystery get solved, but it’s not going to happen if we continue to let our egos into the discussion.

Exactly. If there’s been any consistency in this game, it’s the amount of complaints of inconsistency year after year.

Why do you think that is? Everyone is just a poor loser and they never evolve?

Why not pay a visit to the Rocket League forums and see it it’s a point of discussion over there? Do poor losers only play hockey?

It’s not a designers job to ignore the feedback received from their player base. You can’t have the ego that ur design is perfect and anyone who complains is just bad or stupid. It’s their job to except the feedback and find the reasons behind it.

There are deep seeded issues within this games code that is creating this kind of feedback.

I would love to see this mystery get solved, but it’s not going to happen if we continue to let our egos into the discussion.

No ego here. Over the years, multiple devs, multiple times, and multiple ways have stated there is no catch up logic, no ice tilt, and no ice catch tilt up logic or whatever term you want to use, are coded into the game. I repeat, not coded into the game.

Yet here you are talking about deep seeded issues coded into the game....

The game isn't perfect. It isn't consistent, we all agree. There is RNG for every position on the ice, for every play. There is definitely connectivity issues and varying degrees of lag. Those are your issues, not ice tilt.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.