EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

How to bring people back to the series ( NHL20)

Replies

• 6. has to be on the frostbite engine

Everything I have read about frostbite used on sports games is not good. Frostbite has supposedly caused many problems in both madden and fifa. I don’t know specifics just ran into stuff on you tube and other sites.
  • xPDogg65x wrote: »
    6. has to be on the frostbite engine

Everything I have read about frostbite used on sports games is not good. Frostbite has supposedly caused many problems in both madden and fifa. I don’t know specifics just ran into stuff on you tube and other sites.

I love Madden franchise mode. Prolly the best feeling one they have made.

online / MUT plays like a tragedy, but franchise is really good IMO.
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • The game was sold with beta gameplay...based on beta gameplay....then during the year modified it so much that you bought a completely different game...no one trusts anymore once its lost

Theres only one way people will come back...include legends in franchise mode only because they cant take that away once its there

But thats not going to happen because hut is the bottom line $$$ cha ching is all coorporate cares about...and its not profit cause they will make money its greed ..i want the whole pie !

Thanks ea..thanks devs for saving me money next year no hut no money for you
    Many thanks!
  • sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    Remake NHL 11

Winner winner chicken dinner!
  • sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    EA needs to stop programming the game to the "all play" "everyone can win" mindset. Get back to the hardcore days of NHL 09/10/11/12.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Remake NHL 11

I am not paying $60 + for a 10 year old game.

• Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    EA needs to stop programming the game to the "all play" "everyone can win" mindset. Get back to the hardcore days of NHL 09/10/11/12.

How is 19 not hardcore enough? There's a world of difference between a highly skilled player and someone lesser skilled. You can't just go in to any mode at any level and expect to be successful if you don't know what you're doing.
  • jmwalsh8888
    731 posts Member
    edited April 25
    Remake NHL 11

Hah jokes on you.
    Remake NHL 11

Hah jokes on you.

I don't see how.

Comparing NHL 19 to NHL 11 is like comparing GTA 4 to GTA 3.
  • sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    "How is 19 not hardcore enough?"

Because randomness, garbage shots on goal, traffic, deflections, give the less skilled player ample scoring opportunities every game. 09/10/11/12 you had to maintain a cycle to open up high % shots, today these high% shots go in less while they increased the random goal to level out the field.

You can dominate 12 min. TOA with 20 great cycle set up shots and only score 2 and your opponent only has 3 min TOA with 15 random shots from all over the place and end up with 3 goals.

This isn't real life hockey so don't say that's hockey, its a game, skill should dictate outcomes, not random rebounds, deflections, etc.

That is all this game is now, skate across blue line and fire shots at net, even if its a bad shot, or low % shot, just looking for garbage is a viable strategy now. If you throw random shots on net the game should be programmed to save 99% of them, you shouldn't be rewarded for throwing pucks and hope for luck.
  • zingaa1
    401 posts Member

Agree with that, those were the best years. Unfortunately they will never fix this game, the franchise is long gone and can never be saved.
  • Sinbin
    1324 posts Member

Because randomness, garbage shots on goal, traffic, deflections, give the less skilled player ample scoring opportunities every game. 09/10/11/12 you had to maintain a cycle to open up high % shots, today these high% shots go in less while they increased the random goal to level out the field.

You can dominate 12 min. TOA with 20 great cycle set up shots and only score 2 and your opponent only has 3 min TOA with 15 random shots from all over the place and end up with 3 goals.

This isn't real life hockey so don't say that's hockey, its a game, skill should dictate outcomes, not random rebounds, deflections, etc.

That is all this game is now, skate across blue line and fire shots at net, even if its a bad shot, or low % shot, just looking for garbage is a viable strategy now. If you throw random shots on net the game should be programmed to save 99% of them, you shouldn't be rewarded for throwing pucks and hope for luck.

Randomness is also a part of hockey. Throwing a shot on net hoping for a rebound is a real world tactic. You still can cycle to open high percentage shots. Look at guys that work the puck around trying to get you to leave the short side open. Yeah, I don't like how easy it is to score, but you have to at least work to make it happen. Unless your opponent is terrible at defending it. Goals aren't so random though. Look at goals in the real world. It's not like all of them are highlight reel worthy. They deflect, trickle in, there's loose pucks in the crease that get tapped in, pucks bounce off players and float in. Watch the Weird NHL series on YouTube and you'll see things people would claim only happen in the video game.

Random shots get stopped the majority of the time. Yeah, they go in sometimes and games have been won by them. We've all been in those, but guys that know how to cycle and set up those high percentage shots are way more successful.
  • Socair
    1830 posts Game Changer
    I loved 11. I hooked up my ps3 a few months back and popped it in to remind myself of what the gameplay was like compared to now. Played a play now on all star and some Be A Pro. It’s ridiculously easy in comparison. Skating was on rails.

I know my skills have improved over the years, but man, we’d be seeing 10+ goal games and crazy stats if 19 played like that. It’s like being on arcade settings.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Every single element in this franchise is broken, all the way from the menu's to the audio...but most importantly gameplay.

Bottom line is they need to make the game fun again and right now it can be hit and miss.
  • > @sgiz1 said:
    > "How is 19 not hardcore enough?"
    >
    > Because randomness, garbage shots on goal, traffic, deflections, give the less skilled player ample scoring opportunities every game. 09/10/11/12 you had to maintain a cycle to open up high % shots, today these high% shots go in less while they increased the random goal to level out the field.
    >
    > You can dominate 12 min. TOA with 20 great cycle set up shots and only score 2 and your opponent only has 3 min TOA with 15 random shots from all over the place and end up with 3 goals.
    >
    > This isn't real life hockey so don't say that's hockey, its a game, skill should dictate outcomes, not random rebounds, deflections, etc.
    >
    > That is all this game is now, skate across blue line and fire shots at net, even if its a bad shot, or low % shot, just looking for garbage is a viable strategy now. If you throw random shots on net the game should be programmed to save 99% of them, you shouldn't be rewarded for throwing pucks and hope for luck.

This guy knows!
  • I feel like having an online/co-op be a pro mode would be really fun, so a bit like EASHL but instead of creating and modifying your team/arena you actually get drafted to a team with your friends (using your created character) like you would be able to play your season and playoffs with your friends vs CPU and have a skill/attribute tree where you can progress you character and battle off to try and win the cup, also have change ups in game with ratings and coach feedback, and practice in between games with like shooting and passing drills etc.. (can be skipped)and a bunch of other little features that are not in EASHL. Play with the actual updated roster as your cpu teammate's play with the lines manage your power play shorthanded lineups, would be a very cool addition to see in the game

Definitely the frostbite engine is a must
  • How to fix the online balance:

1. Make your AI off the puck actually competent and stop making them “cover” for the human the split-second you’re not exactly where the AI thinks you should be. This will promote more 1v1 defense, and should result in more 2v1 scenarios that actually look realistic rather than the backside D just literally sprinting away from a guy on the back door.

2. When you beat a human and are rewarded with a 2v1 scenario out of the corner, make the reward worth the skill it took to pull off. There’s no reason I should generate 8-10 backdoor one-timers and only score 1-3 if I’m properly freezing the goalie. As it stands, I can deke far-side, near-side, then throw a pass at the end of the deke and somehow the goalie can commit to both my dekes, then butterfly slide/Superman dive into a 1T save which is completely ridiculous. Also, it’s a video game. Why are my players missing multiple backdoor 1Ts wide/high when standing still uncovered? Makes the game extremely frustrating/not rewarding enough for good players. This is called a “skill gap” one that isn’t nearly apparent enough to warrant playing this game competitively in 1v1 modes.

3. One-timers should be the meta again, not glitch wristers or loading up wrist shots short-side, especially from the tops of the circles and out. The playoffs have seen some incredible goaltending (like usual) and we need less wrist shot goals that are scored by gliding, without an angle-change, and no screen from far away if it’s not kuch or Ovi lol. If I let someone walk-in past that point with that much time, I deserve to get sniped. I don’t deserve to get sniped from that spot on a rush where the pass is properly defended and the goalie should be taking an extra step on the shooter.

4. Back door 1T saves are perfectly acceptable when the pass is coming from far away. If I run at a guy on a 2-on-1 when he’s at the top of the circle or outside the dot gliding, I am forcing a pretty far pass and would hope my goalie is properly reading that he now has the pass. Good skaters should realize this pass takes awhile and should try and catch and go against the grain to slide it past the goalie and this would be a perfectly acceptable goal.

5. I don’t think tips and screens should go in any less, but high-danger 1Ts need to go in a lot more regularly than now especially when the shooter is gliding and has no pressure. Like Sinbin said, tips and screen are a perfectly acceptable hockey strategy but they shouldn’t be a winning strategy against a better player if you’re giving up lots of high-danger chances. With two very skilled people at both ends of the ice, simplifying your game could be the difference and that’s a perfectly acceptable strategy.

6. Rebound need to be overhauled. 105 mph slapshots are Velcro-ing to pads while 25 mph wristers/backhands and being kicked out to the faceoff dots. Just like shooting for goals, shooting for rebounds should require some skill. Taking shots with an angle change or while moving at high lateral speeds should result in a goalie being less “set” and therefore more prone to big rebounds. Rebounds should also be a lot less flat when leaving the pad and should be a bit bouncy and hard to pickup for guys crashing at high speeds. This will negate the 2-on-1 rebound cheese and should more accurately reward in-zone tips/deflections, and rebound produced from shots with lots of movement and screens compared to the former.

All of these things I’ve mentioned can be somewhat fixed offline with the correct sliders and simply playing be house rules. I never shoot for the far-toe on an odd-man rush offline because it’s too easy and unrewarding. I use manual passing and I set shot power levels higher to induce more powerful rebounds. I drastically lower puck control and bouncing puck reception ease to make the front of the net more scramble-y rather than automatic goals. I just genuinely think we need a harder game online. I don’t need my shooter missing an open net more often, or more Spider-Man saves on chances they should’ve had no prayer on to artificially decrease scoring, I just need a more realistic tuner. I don’t want to see the same short-side shot go in whenever I give it up. Yes, it’s easy to defend but it’s not realistic nor fun. I love seeing tip goals and shots through screens (which doesn’t happen in the online tuner as I’ve only been able to truly make screens fun with the screen effect at 100 offline) but someone only playing gritty hockey shouldn’t beat someone playing a skilled game who generated 8-10 backdoor one-timers a game.

Long story short, we need actual good opportunities to be rewarded but we need those opportunities to be hard to generate. We need players who are gritty and underskilled offensively, to have to play a dang near perfect defensive game to beat better skilled opponents. Lastly, we need good off-the-puck AI to reward people who really do move the puck well and generate a lot of chaos with their vision and efficient puck movement rather than only requiring one, maybe two passes at most to completely breakdown a defense.

• Definitely put in classic teams of the past. Plenty iconic teams to choose from.

I wish I could hit like and agree 100 x to this post.
  • Bring back accountability to your actions. Too many years. Too many bad goals are rewarded to players who make bad decisions and get rewarded for it. It’s not fun being in a good position making a smart defensive play just for the other player to get bailed out by the game and the puck go into the back of the net.

Also, I think players are fed up with guarantee goals disguised as “high quality scoring areas”. No reason why a shot should always go in from a particular area. That doesn’t promote hockey. It promotes who can get to the exploit area faster. Yes, I get that there is high scoring areas on the ice in real life. But if you try to score in the same spot from the same area, a goalie will learn where you’re where gonna go with the shot.