EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

“Not a P3 50? Looks like I’m leaving!”

Replies

• rcompton78
    232 posts Member
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to end the game if:

A. the Goalie leaves
    B. At least 3 players leave ONE team (not including the goalie)
    C. At least 2 players from each team leave.

Also, remove the QUIT option from the menu. Most online games have no "QUIT" option. If you started to play, you're in it until the end unless you turn off your console. And if you turn off your console, then you are guilty of RQ.

RQ three times in a row and you get put on a cooldown period until you can play the next game.

I would agree to the ending of the game rules if I were able to find a game faster. Still takes me 5-10 minutes to get a game going with DRE and people lobby surfing for newbs. Sometimes I just want to play no matter what the opponents. That's desperate lol but it happens. We usually try at least 4 each team but after a few fails we would play anything.

I always thought that if you quit mid game and you tried to join again you would go back in to the game you quit. That would do a few things

1- Quitters would have to wait until the game is over no matter what.
    2- Accidental drops or AFK for minutes would allow you to join the game. Great for club games if you ask me. Hate losing a guy for a crash or network error.

Once quitters realized that if they leave they have to wait they might stick it out. Downfall is that it might cause for trolling after a while. More anti trolling would have to be added.

Finally maybe add a vote to surrender option for a team. If all players agree then you surrender the win to the other team. Because let's be honest either EA matchmaking is terrible or the community is that small because I am sure more of us have been on both ends of a match that should never really happen. You learn playing better players but there is a fine line IMO. If you are just running around defending in awe never touching the puck the whole game I don't think you learn much. You just get frustrated and don't feel like playing anymore which also affects community size.
  • BoboFloggins
    2169 posts Member
    Lobbies, cool down period for quitting for drop in games, make grades mean something again (and one way would be to add actual player progression).
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

A. the Goalie leaves

Also, remove the QUIT option from the menu. Most online games have no "QUIT" option. If you started to play, you're in it until the end unless you turn off your console. And if you turn off your console, then you are guilty of RQ.

RQ three times in a row and you get put on a cooldown period until you can play the next game.

I think there should be Halo Reach style “bans” for leaving. Leave one game, nothing. Second leave you get a warning next time will be a ban. Third leave is a 5 minute ban from matchmaking. Fourth leave is 15 minutes. The time increases as you keep leaving. My firmed has like a 2 hour matchmaking ban in Reach for leaving nonstop. The time resets after a week of the last game you left.

No. You would have no players playing.

A. the Goalie leaves

I think there should be Halo Reach style “bans” for leaving. Leave one game, nothing. Second leave you get a warning next time will be a ban. Third leave is a 5 minute ban from matchmaking. Fourth leave is 15 minutes. The time increases as you keep leaving. My firmed has like a 2 hour matchmaking ban in Reach for leaving nonstop. The time resets after a week of the last game you left.

yeah this is why i said they have to work harder to solve the problems that cause people to leave because lets be honest in general, the players leaving are leaving for a reason that usually involves someone that is in the game. Not going to punish the "good" for trying to get away from what the "bad" are doing to them.
  • TheMajjam
    422 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

A. the Goalie leaves

How do you solve incidents where internet is involved? Where it really isn't the fault of the player?

How do you solve when enough players leave or drop, and the game drops, that the team that lost players who still had people playing, don't get penalized for it?

These are things you have to consider, and since EA hasn't found a resolution for the fact that if people leave and the game drops, those that didn't leave still get a CR penalty as well as a loss. All because some idiot wants to leave being down by two goals mid-way through the 1st period.

A. the Goalie leaves

If you’re going to play a game mode in which all positions are filled with humans and you leave, you should face some sort of consequence besides losing some CR. It takes one person to leave to ruin the entire game. It seems when one person leaves sometimes, the floodgates opens and everyone starts to quit.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »

A. the Goalie leaves

How do you solve incidents where internet is involved? Where it really isn't the fault of the player?

How do you solve when enough players leave or drop, and the game drops, that the team that lost players who still had people playing, don't get penalized for it?

These are things you have to consider, and since EA hasn't found a resolution for the fact that if people leave and the game drops, those that didn't leave still get a CR penalty as well as a loss. All because some idiot wants to leave being down by two goals mid-way through the 1st period.

That’s the only downside of the bans. When you lose connection. I’ve said in another post, they should have us be able to re connect to the game. There also a chance a player will purposely disconnect themselves from the internet to avoid the ban. With the reconnect feature, you must rejoin the game or it counts as a quit. But if you legitimately keep losing connection to the servers, then I don’t have an answer for that as unfortunate as it is.

If let’s say 3 or 4 people quit and the game now becomes mostly CPUs, those who leave after the quota don’t face any kind of ban.
    TheMajjam wrote: »

A. the Goalie leaves

That’s the only downside of the bans. When you lose connection. I’ve said in another post, they should have us be able to re connect to the game. There also a chance a player will purposely disconnect themselves from the internet to avoid the ban. With the reconnect feature, you must rejoin the game or it counts as a quit. But if you legitimately keep losing connection to the servers, then I don’t have an answer for that as unfortunate as it is.

If let’s say 3 or 4 people quit and the game now becomes mostly CPUs, those who leave after the quota don’t face any kind of ban.

Reconnection to a game that you crashed from would be awesome.
  • jmwalsh8888
    731 posts Member
    edited May 12

A. the Goalie leaves

If you’re going to play a game mode in which all positions are filled with humans and you leave, you should face some sort of consequence besides losing some CR. It takes one person to leave to ruin the entire game. It seems when one person leaves sometimes, the floodgates opens and everyone starts to quit.

I'll play devil's advocate.

If you are going to play a mode in which you allow humans to play with you and completely ruin the game for everyone, and EA does nothing to stop or even discourage it... their should be NO consequences for leaving.
  • jrago73
    275 posts Member

A. the Goalie leaves

This has been addressed in the past. Too difficult on a technical level to pull off in an acceptable way. Think of how long it takes to load into the start of a game, now you need everyone in the game to sit there in menu that long anytime a person joins in order to have everything sync'd up.
  • jrago73 wrote: »

A. the Goalie leaves

This has been addressed in the past. Too difficult on a technical level to pull off in an acceptable way. Think of how long it takes to load into the start of a game, now you need everyone in the game to sit there in menu that long anytime a person joins in order to have everything sync'd up.

i've never seen this addressed in the past... at least not someone that knows what they are talking about from EA.

This should NOT be a big issue many games do it. The only person that should have to "sync" up is the one rejoining.

i just have to assume that the many problems this game has had with online play is because it was poorly built over 10 years ago and never really redone. so many similar games don't have any of these issues.
  • jrago73 wrote: »

A. the Goalie leaves

I didn't know this was tried but maybe have the player join the game non-active and the next whistle it pauses during one of the 300000000000 cut scenes to re-sync? To me re-sync doesn't seems too difficult from a coding stand point although I have never done game synchronization so I could be out in left field. If a player disconnects too many times in 1 game they cannot reconnect just to avoid too much annoyance.
  • Cifeo
    3 posts Member
    I started at 1050CR when my team quit the game a month ago. I've played OTP this last month and at one point dropped all the way down to 550CR because of trolls, people quitting as soon as the game loads, and players who are just generally bad at the game. I've played with P350's who are insanely bad, lack basic passing skills, and lose 95% of their faceoffs, and I've also played with level 30's who are almost as good as me.

CR seems to be completely irrelevant and players like me should not be punished for playing a game with people who aren't Prestige. I play games with low level players which are normally lost from the start of the game because I hope they'll watch how I play and learn and then continue to play and keep this game alive.

I will say that I've been playing NHL online for almost 14 years, and with it's high learning curve, punishing skilled players like me who take low level games with bad players by giving me -30CR because my teammates don't know how to aim a pass will only make it die faster. I'm forced to dodge 90% of my OTP lobbies now, even though I know CR means nothing, because I can't find a team on my skill level since my CR has plummeted from trying to help newbs in drop-ins.

Just remove CR completely, and since the game is on it's last legs, everyone will know each other by name and icon pretty soon and you can dodge games with players you know aren't very good.
  • TheMajjam
    422 posts Member
    edited May 14
    Cifeo wrote: »
    I started at 1050CR when my team quit the game a month ago. I've played OTP this last month and at one point dropped all the way down to 550CR because of trolls, people quitting as soon as the game loads, and players who are just generally bad at the game. I've played with P350's who are insanely bad, lack basic passing skills, and lose 95% of their faceoffs, and I've also played with level 30's who are almost as good as me.

CR seems to be completely irrelevant and players like me should not be punished for playing a game with people who aren't Prestige. I play games with low level players which are normally lost from the start of the game because I hope they'll watch how I play and learn and then continue to play and keep this game alive.

I will say that I've been playing NHL online for almost 14 years, and with it's high learning curve, punishing skilled players like me who take low level games with bad players by giving me -30CR because my teammates don't know how to aim a pass will only make it die faster. I'm forced to dodge 90% of my OTP lobbies now, even though I know CR means nothing, because I can't find a team on my skill level since my CR has plummeted from trying to help newbs in drop-ins.

Just remove CR completely, and since the game is on it's last legs, everyone will know each other by name and icon pretty soon and you can dodge games with players you know aren't very good.

I understand what you're saying. Can't see CR before the game, so Prestige is all you've got going. Despite what people are saying here, Prestige players are statistically better. Why the heck should I play a full team of P3 50's in 3's with a level 14 or 34?? Because they -might- be players with new accounts? Once in a blue moon I will run into a non-Prestige that knows how to play. Most of the time, they're flopping around like fish. I don't care much for my own CR, but I do care about playing the game right and I like to give myself the best change of that. My record is 303-126-22 and I have 908 points. Not the best record, not amazing stats, but for someone like myself who exclusively plays alone as a defenseman, I'm happy with the way I pick and choose my games.
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    210 posts Member
    edited May 14

I understand what you're saying. Can't see CR before the game, so Prestige is all you've got going. Despite what people are saying here, Prestige players are statistically better. Why the heck should I play a full team of P3 50's in 3's with a level 14 or 34?? Because they -might- be players with new accounts? Once in a blue moon I will run into a non-Prestige that knows how to play. Most of the time, they're flopping around like fish. I don't care much for my own CR, but I do care about playing the game right and I like to give myself the best change of that. My record is 303-126-22 and I have 908 points. Not the best record, not amazing stats, but for someone like myself who exclusively plays alone as a defenseman, I'm happy with the way I pick and choose my games.

You sound like you care about winning far more than you do about playing the game right.
    If your team had full P3-50's but the other team had a few non prestige's would you quit then too?
  • Moxrox84
    213 posts Member
    If CR tied into your actual gameplay, then they could group us together better, but this win/loss reflection is crap. The whole system is clearly broken, but considering how much they keep removing from the online experience, I wouldn't expect it to get better any time soon.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »

You sound like you care about winning far more than you do about playing the game right.
    If your team had full P3-50's but the other team had a few non prestige's would you quit then too?

lets be honest here, if you are playing drop ins alone and you are winning more than losing you are at least coming close to "playing the game right".

• I don't care too much about the player level and it doesn't affect my decision to leave the lobby unless it is a noob human goalie. Other things that make me leave are known trolls and Enforcer D-men on my team as I know they are not taking the game seriously. I will also back out of a game if I am stuck with randoms against a party of guys that I recognize to be 1100+ CR. There is no point playing that game as I know it will not end well.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    I don't care too much about the player level and it doesn't affect my decision to leave the lobby unless it is a noob human goalie. Other things that make me leave are known trolls and Enforcer D-men on my team as I know they are not taking the game seriously. I will also back out of a game if I am stuck with randoms against a party of guys that I recognize to be 1100+ CR. There is no point playing that game as I know it will not end well.

hate to say it but they shouldn't even let this happen. A full group of high level CR players belong in club. you join drop ins you should have to wait for similar sized group of similar CR. If you have to wait 30 mins, oh well, thems the breaks when you are trying to go seal clubbing.
  • TheMajjam
    422 posts Member
    edited May 15

You're telling me that in 3's that I don't care about playing the game right with a winning record? As D-men are usually the single point of failure in 3's, if I'm not playing right, then we're not winning. However, you're more than welcome to look for my other posts that show my gamertag. Plenty of clips there to keep you entertained on the way I play.

Also, of course I don't leave. Those guys don't have to stay either. I had to endure the same thing as a low level guy and get games where I could to make to to the P3 50. I played the stupid computer for EXP, played stupid Ones, played drops where I could, played LG, and played Club. I don't owe them, you, or no one else anything for the way I want to play.
    Post edited by TheMajjam on