EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

How to bring people back to the series ( NHL20)

Replies

• Sinbin
    1323 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Bring back accountability to your actions. Too many years. Too many bad goals are rewarded to players who make bad decisions and get rewarded for it. It’s not fun being in a good position making a smart defensive play just for the other player to get bailed out by the game and the puck go into the back of the net.

Also, I think players are fed up with guarantee goals disguised as “high quality scoring areas”. No reason why a shot should always go in from a particular area. That doesn’t promote hockey. It promotes who can get to the exploit area faster. Yes, I get that there is high scoring areas on the ice in real life. But if you try to score in the same spot from the same area, a goalie will learn where you’re where gonna go with the shot.

If you're letting them get to the same spot all game long, that's kinda on your defense.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Bring back accountability to your actions. Too many years. Too many bad goals are rewarded to players who make bad decisions and get rewarded for it. It’s not fun being in a good position making a smart defensive play just for the other player to get bailed out by the game and the puck go into the back of the net.

Also, I think players are fed up with guarantee goals disguised as “high quality scoring areas”. No reason why a shot should always go in from a particular area. That doesn’t promote hockey. It promotes who can get to the exploit area faster. Yes, I get that there is high scoring areas on the ice in real life. But if you try to score in the same spot from the same area, a goalie will learn where you’re where gonna go with the shot.

If you're letting them get to the same spot all game long, that's kinda on your defense.

You say that like we want them to go there all game long every game. That’s not the case. There are times in hockey where you can’t defend everything, that’s why you relay on your goalie to make some basic saves.

A lot of the goals are from the goalie completely out of position. An example. I play EASHL. I see a forward who’s a righty come into the zone off the rush with a teammate (his teammate) behind him, the righty with puck will go the top of the left face off circle and fire it to the blocker unscreened. The goalie is out of position and let’s it in. I expect the goalie to save a shot from the top of circle without a screen. If me or my d-man partner let him walk into between the hashmarks. That’s our fault. But when he’s goes to the opposite side in which he came into the zone from and scores consistently, that’s garbage.

These so called “snipes” aren’t snipes. They’re a cheese garbage exploit that results in way to many unskillful goals. As long as I have been playing the EA NHL series, there’s always a been an exploit that essentially guarantees a goal. A lot of people jumped off this ship because they must have realized that this series is about exploits, not hockey smarts and plays. It’s 2019 and still feels like we’re playing an old gen hockey game where we expected in the future to have a hockey game that plays like actual hockey. That’s yet to happen.

• sgiz1 wrote: »
    EA needs to stop programming the game to the "all play" "everyone can win" mindset. Get back to the hardcore days of NHL 09/10/11/12.

Yes! NHL13 even as well. The ps4 experiment has been a disaster from the beginning.

Bring back OTP lobbies, legend 3 card (150gms), custom equipment (skate/stick blade, stick flex) and remove 1 touch dekes, auto animations, multiple menus, the word "chel" from the game. Start with these and it'll be a good start.
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "How is 19 not hardcore enough?"

Because randomness, garbage shots on goal, traffic, deflections, give the less skilled player ample scoring opportunities every game. 09/10/11/12 you had to maintain a cycle to open up high % shots, today these high% shots go in less while they increased the random goal to level out the field.

You can dominate 12 min. TOA with 20 great cycle set up shots and only score 2 and your opponent only has 3 min TOA with 15 random shots from all over the place and end up with 3 goals.

This isn't real life hockey so don't say that's hockey, its a game, skill should dictate outcomes, not random rebounds, deflections, etc.

That is all this game is now, skate across blue line and fire shots at net, even if its a bad shot, or low % shot, just looking for garbage is a viable strategy now. If you throw random shots on net the game should be programmed to save 99% of them, you shouldn't be rewarded for throwing pucks and hope for luck.

Randomness is also a part of hockey. Throwing a shot on net hoping for a rebound is a real world tactic. You still can cycle to open high percentage shots. Look at guys that work the puck around trying to get you to leave the short side open. Yeah, I don't like how easy it is to score, but you have to at least work to make it happen. Unless your opponent is terrible at defending it. Goals aren't so random though. Look at goals in the real world. It's not like all of them are highlight reel worthy. They deflect, trickle in, there's loose pucks in the crease that get tapped in, pucks bounce off players and float in. Watch the Weird NHL series on YouTube and you'll see things people would claim only happen in the video game.

Random shots get stopped the majority of the time. Yeah, they go in sometimes and games have been won by them. We've all been in those, but guys that know how to cycle and set up those high percentage shots are way more successful.

Just because something happens a few times per year doesnt mean it should be a regular occurance.

When Crosby had 5 swat in goals a couple years ago, I feared they were gonna implement a swinging motion action in the game. Same with how they had stick lifts breaking sticks. It is 100% impossible a one piece pro grade stick would break from somebody lifting it.

EA needs to get the fundamentals of the sport mastered before they start including freak plays into the mix.
    EA needs to stop programming the game to the "all play" "everyone can win" mindset. Get back to the hardcore days of NHL 09/10/11/12.

How is 19 not hardcore enough? There's a world of difference between a highly skilled player and someone lesser skilled. You can't just go in to any mode at any level and expect to be successful if you don't know what you're doing.

I cant tell if you are being serious or trolling saying that. In my opinion, there is absolutely not much of a difference. It doesnt take much to be "elite" in this game and that in itself creates a low skill gap. EA loves using the skill gap phrase and they term it incorrectly. This game is programmed so everybody has a chance to win. You commented in a latter statement talking about random acts. Those exact acts that are random are one of the reasons the skill gap is so low. It doesnt take skill to blindly throw pucks on net from all angles and to rip shots as soon as you cross the blue line, nor does it take skill to be rewarded for not pressing buttons and making bad, unrealistic hockey plays. It takes no skill or creativity with these cookie cutter EASHL builds. It doesnt allow players to play to their strengths and the limitations of these builds makes people all play the same way. It makes the game very boring and most games all have the same feel and end result.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Remake NHL 11

Winner winner chicken dinner!

I am not paying $60 + for a 10 year old game.

Yet you paid $60 for a brand new, and to a certain degree, inferior game. How many people bought CoD WW2 just for the Modern Warfare copy? How many bought the Modern Warfare copy when they sold it solo on current gen consoles?

The problem is EA removes things people want and like and if they just listened and put all the stuff from previous games that people didn't want removed back in, a lot of the problems with the game would be solved.

• So I think there is definitely a skill gap. That is the reason you see the same 20-30 players basically never lose to anyone but each other. The major issue, though, is that the skill gap is all basically derived from the horrendous puck protect/glide and backward skate exploiting. It is not who makes smart passes, clean breakouts, or cycles the puck better. It is who can ice dance in the corner better until the short side shot or cross crease opens up. If you are great at puck protect, glide, and backwards skating you will be a top player. That is absolutely a joke.

That being said, outside of that elite few, a lot of the games everyone else plays might as well be a crapshoot, and this is where people come up with ice tilt theories, because sometimes the randomness of the game makes it feel that way. Real hockey is random, but nowhere near how random this game feels sometimes.

What I am basically saying is that the top, top players are basically unbeatable unless you can also abuse puck protect, glide, and backwards skating. After that, though, the game seems tuned to make it that anyone can win in any given game. This, I think, drives all but the top players away from the game.
  • Sinbin
    1323 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

How is 19 not hardcore enough? There's a world of difference between a highly skilled player and someone lesser skilled. You can't just go in to any mode at any level and expect to be successful if you don't know what you're doing.

I cant tell if you are being serious or trolling saying that. In my opinion, there is absolutely not much of a difference. It doesnt take much to be "elite" in this game and that in itself creates a low skill gap. EA loves using the skill gap phrase and they term it incorrectly. This game is programmed so everybody has a chance to win. You commented in a latter statement talking about random acts. Those exact acts that are random are one of the reasons the skill gap is so low. It doesnt take skill to blindly throw pucks on net from all angles and to rip shots as soon as you cross the blue line, nor does it take skill to be rewarded for not pressing buttons and making bad, unrealistic hockey plays. It takes no skill or creativity with these cookie cutter EASHL builds. It doesnt allow players to play to their strengths and the limitations of these builds makes people all play the same way. It makes the game very boring and most games all have the same feel and end result.

To each their own. I just see a big difference between the high and low skilled players. I don't get scored on a lot by shots from someone just crossing the blue line and those rarely go in for me. That's also still skill related because you're not defending it. Why are you letting someone constantly step over the blue line and shoot?

Isn't every multiplayer game programmed so everyone has a chance to win? It's up to you to use your skill to win with the tools you're given. Just like everyone else. If someone sees you not defending from a particular area, they're going to exploit that. Recognize what your opponents are doing and adjust your strategies.
  • VeNOM2099
    2588 posts Member
    That's just the thing: if your main strategy is to just step over the blue line and let her rip over and over again, you shouldn't even come close to scoring. I don't care if you shoot 100 times on net like that, you're getting NO goals.

It's not up to me to get in front of muffins to stop them, it's up to the programmers to PROGRAM this game correctly.

You say randomness happens in real NHL games. Guess what also happens? D-men will let their goalies stop shots they ABSOLUTELY can stop, like muffins from the point. Every time. Do these shots sometimes go in? Yeah, sometimes a goalie can bobble the puck and it goes in. But this is a video game, not real life.

The programmers at EA didn't program real life into this game. The AI players don't decide things, they don't learn, they don't do "mistakes". They are programmed to do something and they dovwhat they're supposed to do according to the programmer's parameters they were given. So when a puck deflects a certain way, that's not real life, that's been programmed into the game. It's manipulated by the code so that users aren't frustrated at wasting time chasing loose pucks when there's only 4 minutes in each period. To keep the game "flowing".

And there are certain aspects of EA NHL that if they were too realistic, it would make things not fun from a 'video game' standpoint.

That's really the most frustrating part for me; as a lover of the actual SPORT of hockey, this game makes too many concessions towards the videogame enthusiasts rather than those who know and love the sport.

Shooting 15 times from the blue line over and over is as viable a strategy in NHL 19 as cycling the puck to score. It doesn't matter if you stopped it 14 times in a row, all it takes is that one random chance... I have no interest in playing a game like that.

I don't care if I'm up 5-0, if my opponent scores an "EA Goal", I'm out. Mentally and physically, I just can't be bothered.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• I mean, I'm gonna shoot from wherever to make sure you boys are awake.

;)
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • apperos76 wrote: »
    So I think there is definitely a skill gap. That is the reason you see the same 20-30 players basically never lose to anyone but each other. The major issue, though, is that the skill gap is all basically derived from the horrendous puck protect/glide and backward skate exploiting. It is not who makes smart passes, clean breakouts, or cycles the puck better. It is who can ice dance in the corner better until the short side shot or cross crease opens up. If you are great at puck protect, glide, and backwards skating you will be a top player. That is absolutely a joke.

That being said, outside of that elite few, a lot of the games everyone else plays might as well be a crapshoot, and this is where people come up with ice tilt theories, because sometimes the randomness of the game makes it feel that way. Real hockey is random, but nowhere near how random this game feels sometimes.

What I am basically saying is that the top, top players are basically unbeatable unless you can also abuse puck protect, glide, and backwards skating. After that, though, the game seems tuned to make it that anyone can win in any given game. This, I think, drives all but the top players away from the game.

Very well said. I agree fully to this. There is a skill gap, the same guys are always winning tourneys but from the footage I have watched on twitch they all play the same game (skate back, semi turn, glide protect 1 hand tuck short side wrister). Good on them for having great thumbs and learning/perfecting the system. BUT they are a small portion of a small community IMO. Rewarding good hockey sense and plays is essential to bring back old fans (if even possible) and bring in new fans. After all the market for a hockey game is already small since I am guessing most buyers are hockey fans.
  • Cifeo
    3 posts Member
    edited May 16
    [quote="VeNOM2099;c-2068629"]That's just the thing: if your main strategy is to just step over the blue line and let her rip over and over again, you shouldn't even come close to scoring. I don't care if you shoot 100 times on net like that, you're getting NO goals.

It's not up to me to get in front of muffins to stop them, it's up to the programmers to PROGRAM this game correctly.

You say randomness happens in real NHL games. Guess what also happens? D-men will let their goalies stop shots they ABSOLUTELY can stop, like muffins from the point. Every time. Do these shots sometimes go in? Yeah, sometimes a goalie can bobble the puck and it goes in. But this is a video game, not real life.

The programmers at EA didn't program real life into this game. The AI players don't decide things, they don't learn, they don't do "mistakes". They are programmed to do something and they dovwhat they're supposed to do according to the programmer's parameters they were given. So when a puck deflects a certain way, that's not real life, that's been programmed into the game. It's manipulated by the code so that users aren't frustrated at wasting time chasing loose pucks when there's only 4 minutes in each period. To keep the game "flowing".

And there are certain aspects of EA NHL that if they were too realistic, it would make things not fun from a 'video game' standpoint.

That's really the most frustrating part for me; as a lover of the actual SPORT of hockey, this game makes too many concessions towards the videogame enthusiasts rather than those who know and love the sport.

Shooting 15 times from the blue line over and over is as viable a strategy in NHL 19 as cycling the puck to score. It doesn't matter if you stopped it 14 times in a row, all it takes is that one random chance... I have no interest in playing a game like that.

I don't care if I'm up 5-0, if my opponent scores an "EA Goal", I'm out. Mentally and physically, I just can't be bothered. [/quote]

You and I are very alike. I've been playing the game for almost 14 years and the EASHL goals given to really bad teams to make the game exciting or give them a chance at winning just break the spirit.

Yes, hockey is random, but there are very clearly instances of scripted goals that go in the net under certain circumstances. Late game when the AI takes a penalty, close games where stats are similar but one team is down by 2 or more goals, experienced high level teams in EASHL losing to teams that were just created, and more. People say these are based on your actions in the game, but there is absolutely a "comeback" mechanic at play sometimes. It's not lag and it's not bad play, it's just RNG and sometimes you get screwed over even if you shouldn't.

[Socair - edited for profanity]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • rcompton78 wrote: »
    apperos76 wrote: »
    So I think there is definitely a skill gap. That is the reason you see the same 20-30 players basically never lose to anyone but each other. The major issue, though, is that the skill gap is all basically derived from the horrendous puck protect/glide and backward skate exploiting. It is not who makes smart passes, clean breakouts, or cycles the puck better. It is who can ice dance in the corner better until the short side shot or cross crease opens up. If you are great at puck protect, glide, and backwards skating you will be a top player. That is absolutely a joke.

Very well said. I agree fully to this. There is a skill gap, the same guys are always winning tourneys but from the footage I have watched on twitch they all play the same game (skate back, semi turn, glide protect 1 hand tuck short side wrister). Good on them for having great thumbs and learning/perfecting the system. BUT they are a small portion of a small community IMO. Rewarding good hockey sense and plays is essential to bring back old fans (if even possible) and bring in new fans. After all the market for a hockey game is already small since I am guessing most buyers are hockey fans.

Totally agree with your post and also it's these same elite players that were crying in the beginning of release that the goalies were to hard to score on because the couldn't score their go to moves

To each their own. I just see a big difference between the high and low skilled players. I don't get scored on a lot by shots from someone just crossing the blue line and those rarely go in for me. That's also still skill related because you're not defending it. Why are you letting someone constantly step over the blue line and shoot?

Isn't every multiplayer game programmed so everyone has a chance to win? It's up to you to use your skill to win with the tools you're given. Just like everyone else. If someone sees you not defending from a particular area, they're going to exploit that. Recognize what your opponents are doing and adjust your strategies.

The problem with these “defending areas” you mentioned are not all good scoring areas but yet have a high chance to go in this game. The further away you are from the net and shoot without a screen, it’s gonna be a save. Or should at least be if this series had any indication of what a good scoring area is. There are many areas that aren’t going to be defended on ice. It’s just not possible to defend everything like I said.

I for one am sick and tired, year after year its the same thing. It’s a boring product when you absolutely know there’s going to be an exploit every year that determines games, not actual skill. Why is the same guarantee breakaway goal from NHL 18 back in NHL 19? Why? Players complained about penalty shots or breakaways being a guaranteed goal every time. The devs have said there are no guaranteed goals in this series. But I beg to defer.
  • rcompton78 wrote: »

Totally agree with your post and also it's these same elite players that were crying in the beginning of release that the goalies were to hard to score on because the couldn't score their go to moves

Goalies for once were at least decent at doing there jobs. I remember struggling to score. And guess what? It was fun. It was refreshing that you had to work for shots to go in. Scoring felt rewarding. Now you can go to certain areas and fire it and it was goes in like the goalie is programmed to let them in.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    rcompton78 wrote: »

Goalies for once were at least decent at doing there jobs. I remember struggling to score. And guess what? It was fun. It was refreshing that you had to work for shots to go in. Scoring felt rewarding. Now you can go to certain areas and fire it and it was goes in like the goalie is programmed to let them in.

Totally agree yes the game was fun and it did feel like a totally brand new game and it did feel rewarding ,but in my opinion do I see EA making goalies any better for 20 no for 20 they should have different tuners for each mode ..as always it's always great to read your posts 👍

You are on PS4 correct?
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

The problem with these “defending areas” you mentioned are not all good scoring areas but yet have a high chance to go in this game. The further away you are from the net and shoot without a screen, it’s gonna be a save. Or should at least be if this series had any indication of what a good scoring area is. There are many areas that aren’t going to be defended on ice. It’s just not possible to defend everything like I said.

I for one am sick and tired, year after year its the same thing. It’s a boring product when you absolutely know there’s going to be an exploit every year that determines games, not actual skill. Why is the same guarantee breakaway goal from NHL 18 back in NHL 19? Why? Players complained about penalty shots or breakaways being a guaranteed goal every time. The devs have said there are no guaranteed goals in this series. But I beg to defer.

The guy totally missed the point of my response and for some reason attempted to give me some advice as if I need it or asked for it.

My point was the this so called skilled gap people are so hung up on is program related, not skill related and the ones saying they see a skill gap from themselves and the elites is probably due so more to themselves than the actual spoken about gap. The only skill differential I see is when people have no general understanding of the basics of the sport and apply their misconceived concepts on the ice.

It doesnt take skill to just shoot the puck once you cross the blue line or shoot the puck from odd angles and its sad someone actually thinks those are plays that should be rewarded and is the exact reason this game is in the state of disarray it's in. Its mind numbing to keep reading complaints about user controlled issues that dont need a tuner to fix but instead a reevaluation of their actions but that's a moot point considering, like how I've said numerous times, the game rewards mediocrity and laziness and further cements the notion into those players by giving them rank on a misinterpreted leaderboards system for them to brag.
  • renamed57635
    182 posts Member
    edited May 16
    rcompton78 wrote: »

In all fairness, most of the YouTubers are hardly anything "elite". I could make myself an elite streamer too if I edited and only posted video of where I played subpar opponents or had friends play against me to make me look good. If us players would stop putting these people on a pedestal and pay them attention, they wouldn't be much but an afterthought.
  • Cifeo wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    That's just the thing: if your main strategy is to just step over the blue line and let her rip over and over again, you shouldn't even come close to scoring. I don't care if you shoot 100 times on net like that, you're getting NO goals.

I don't care if I'm up 5-0, if my opponent scores an "EA Goal", I'm out. Mentally and physically, I just can't be bothered.

You and I are very alike. I've been playing the game for almost 14 years and the EASHL goals given to really bad teams to make the game exciting or give them a chance at winning just break the spirit.

Yes, hockey is random, but there are very clearly instances of scripted goals that go in the net under certain circumstances. Late game when the AI takes a penalty, close games where stats are similar but one team is down by 2 or more goals, experienced high level teams in EASHL losing to teams that were just created, and more. People say these are based on your actions in the game, but there is absolutely a "comeback" mechanic at play sometimes. It's not lag and it's not bad play, it's just RNG and sometimes you get screwed over even if you shouldn't.

[Socair - edited for profanity]

From what I read here, we can agree that we want to play a game and either win or lose by our own actions, not by some programmed, scripted nonsense. Unfortunately, I think we are in the minority on that though.