EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th


Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

How to bring people back to the series ( NHL20)

Replies

  • Lol I meant the "Elite Twitch" streamers hope you know the ones I referring to some who it seems EA values their opinion more than they do the hockey community that wants to see a little more realistic game of hockey
  • Cifeo wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    That's just the thing: if your main strategy is to just step over the blue line and let her rip over and over again, you shouldn't even come close to scoring. I don't care if you shoot 100 times on net like that, you're getting NO goals.

    It's not up to me to get in front of muffins to stop them, it's up to the programmers to PROGRAM this game correctly.

    You say randomness happens in real NHL games. Guess what also happens? D-men will let their goalies stop shots they ABSOLUTELY can stop, like muffins from the point. Every time. Do these shots sometimes go in? Yeah, sometimes a goalie can bobble the puck and it goes in. But this is a video game, not real life.

    The programmers at EA didn't program real life into this game. The AI players don't decide things, they don't learn, they don't do "mistakes". They are programmed to do something and they dovwhat they're supposed to do according to the programmer's parameters they were given. So when a puck deflects a certain way, that's not real life, that's been programmed into the game. It's manipulated by the code so that users aren't frustrated at wasting time chasing loose pucks when there's only 4 minutes in each period. To keep the game "flowing".

    And there are certain aspects of EA NHL that if they were too realistic, it would make things not fun from a 'video game' standpoint.

    That's really the most frustrating part for me; as a lover of the actual SPORT of hockey, this game makes too many concessions towards the videogame enthusiasts rather than those who know and love the sport.

    Shooting 15 times from the blue line over and over is as viable a strategy in NHL 19 as cycling the puck to score. It doesn't matter if you stopped it 14 times in a row, all it takes is that one random chance... I have no interest in playing a game like that.

    I don't care if I'm up 5-0, if my opponent scores an "EA Goal", I'm out. Mentally and physically, I just can't be bothered.

    You and I are very alike. I've been playing the game for almost 14 years and the EASHL goals given to really bad teams to make the game exciting or give them a chance at winning just break the spirit.

    Yes, hockey is random, but there are very clearly instances of scripted goals that go in the net under certain circumstances. Late game when the AI takes a penalty, close games where stats are similar but one team is down by 2 or more goals, experienced high level teams in EASHL losing to teams that were just created, and more. People say these are based on your actions in the game, but there is absolutely a "comeback" mechanic at play sometimes. It's not lag and it's not bad play, it's just RNG and sometimes you get screwed over even if you shouldn't.

    [Socair - edited for profanity]

    From what I read here, we can agree that we want to play a game and either win or lose by our own actions, not by some programmed, scripted nonsense. Unfortunately, I think we are in the minority on that though.

    Hut feels so scripted at times from players not be able to pick the puck missing passes ..etc so you can add me to that minority
  • Lol I meant the "Elite Twitch" streamers hope you know the ones I referring to some who it seems EA values their opinion more than they do the hockey community that wants to see a little more realistic game of hockey

    Like I said, anybody can be an elite streamer like how I said in my original post about it. It's the people that give them views, subs and value their opinions that make them relevant. Maybe I should start making videos. You guys just tell me what you want fixed but be warned, i, like them, will be pushing my own agenda first and foremost lol. I could have you guys volunteer to play vs me and you all play one handed and I'll put in work and dummy you guys with my sweet "dangles" and "rip dingers" for some "top shelf cheese". Everytime I score, I'll "celly" by yelling "chel god".
  • The thing is, you can't please everybody. I actually think that for online play, AI goalies should be weak (equal to NHL11). If I stop somebody from scoring, I should have to do it with my skill by either going manual goalie (for vs/HUT) or by defending well (all online modes). Nothing is more frustrating than constantly out playing my opponents defensive play and getting open looks in good spots and yet getting denied because of nothing my opponent did, but rather, that the game "decided" I shouldn't have scored.
  • renamed57635
    189 posts Member
    edited May 16
    The thing is, you can't please everybody. I actually think that for online play, AI goalies should be weak (equal to NHL11). If I stop somebody from scoring, I should have to do it with my skill by either going manual goalie (for vs/HUT) or by defending well (all online modes). Nothing is more frustrating than constantly out playing my opponents defensive play and getting open looks in good spots and yet getting denied because of nothing my opponent did, but rather, that the game "decided" I shouldn't have scored.

    This is contradictory. ^^^

    So instead, you would be less frustrated and rather outplay your opponent defensively just to have them score some weak goal on your NHL11 calibrated netminder? How is that skillful to lower goaltender attributes? Regardless of the goalies attributes, the game is ultimately "deciding" if you should have scored or not. Next you will want them to remove goalies all together.
  • Ka1serSoz3
    62 posts Member
    edited May 16
    I think what he means is NHL 11 rewarded puck movement and good gameplay over button mashing. Not that NHL 19 rewards literal button mashing, but it’s not really that far off when compared to the games prior to NHL 15 or so.

    That kind of stuff is fine for a fighting game... in a hockey game it’s totally unacceptable.
  • VeNOM2099
    2593 posts Member
    Ka1serSoz3 wrote: »
    I think what he means is NHL 11 rewarded puck movement and good gameplay over button mashing. Not that NHL 19 rewards literal button mashing, but it’s not really that far off when compared to the games prior to NHL 15 or so.

    That kind of stuff is fine for a fighting game... in a hockey game it’s totally unacceptable.

    Being someone that actually plays fighting games competitively, I can say that your fighting game analogy is a bit flawed.

    At high level, there are times when both players do absolutely NOTHING but walk in and out of each other's attack range. That's called the "Neutral" state. The outcome of many matches are decided simply by how well each player plays in neutral.

    Same with hockey. There is a misguided notion that in order to be "skilled", you need to do something in this game. When in reality, doing NOTHING often takes more skill. Take defense for instance; 90% of defense is simply positioning. If you're in the correct spot to limit your oponnent's options, you'll come up on top of every engagement throughout the game. When I used to coach hockey several years ago, we used to tell players to be smart and learn to play without the puck. A very simple concept that has ONE player closest to the puck give chase, while every other player picks up an open man. The idea was that if the puck handler has no options to go to because our players are taking away every outlet he may have had, then eventually he'll cough up the puck. Either by losing it to the player shadowing him, or because he's going to be forced eventually to try to force a pass or a shot.

    This game however, turns that very smart concept into a mess of people mashing poke check or the RS to try to take away the puck from the opponent. Because again, the (very pedestrian) thought process in this videogame series is that you need to do in order to be.

    When it's actually smarter for you to BE, in order to DO...
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

  • WainGretSki
    2989 posts Member
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Ka1serSoz3 wrote: »
    I think what he means is NHL 11 rewarded puck movement and good gameplay over button mashing. Not that NHL 19 rewards literal button mashing, but it’s not really that far off when compared to the games prior to NHL 15 or so.

    That kind of stuff is fine for a fighting game... in a hockey game it’s totally unacceptable.

    Being someone that actually plays fighting games competitively, I can say that your fighting game analogy is a bit flawed.

    At high level, there are times when both players do absolutely NOTHING but walk in and out of each other's attack range. That's called the "Neutral" state. The outcome of many matches are decided simply by how well each player plays in neutral.

    Same with hockey. There is a misguided notion that in order to be "skilled", you need to do something in this game. When in reality, doing NOTHING often takes more skill. Take defense for instance; 90% of defense is simply positioning. If you're in the correct spot to limit your oponnent's options, you'll come up on top of every engagement throughout the game. When I used to coach hockey several years ago, we used to tell players to be smart and learn to play without the puck. A very simple concept that has ONE player closest to the puck give chase, while every other player picks up an open man. The idea was that if the puck handler has no options to go to because our players are taking away every outlet he may have had, then eventually he'll cough up the puck. Either by losing it to the player shadowing him, or because he's going to be forced eventually to try to force a pass or a shot.

    This game however, turns that very smart concept into a mess of people mashing poke check or the RS to try to take away the puck from the opponent. Because again, the (very pedestrian) thought process in this videogame series is that you need to do in order to be.

    When it's actually smarter for you to BE, in order to DO...

    It's a video game. People have no patience and are constantly attacking the puck instead of waiting for the puck to come to them. Everybody wants results. Big results, and they want it fast. While poke checks are leading to a bit too many penalties in my opinion as it is, you can also see why so many are given. People just spam like crazy and need that puck at all costs, and as soon as possible.

    Hockey is a game of patience and strategy, not constantly attacking and spazzing everywhere on the ice. As you say, shadow the carrier, keep him to the outside and choke off his options and that puck ain't going anywhere dangerous.
  • Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    EA needs to stop programming the game to the "all play" "everyone can win" mindset. Get back to the hardcore days of NHL 09/10/11/12.

    How is 19 not hardcore enough? There's a world of difference between a highly skilled player and someone lesser skilled. You can't just go in to any mode at any level and expect to be successful if you don't know what you're doing.

    I cant tell if you are being serious or trolling saying that. In my opinion, there is absolutely not much of a difference. It doesnt take much to be "elite" in this game and that in itself creates a low skill gap. EA loves using the skill gap phrase and they term it incorrectly. This game is programmed so everybody has a chance to win. You commented in a latter statement talking about random acts. Those exact acts that are random are one of the reasons the skill gap is so low. It doesnt take skill to blindly throw pucks on net from all angles and to rip shots as soon as you cross the blue line, nor does it take skill to be rewarded for not pressing buttons and making bad, unrealistic hockey plays. It takes no skill or creativity with these cookie cutter EASHL builds. It doesnt allow players to play to their strengths and the limitations of these builds makes people all play the same way. It makes the game very boring and most games all have the same feel and end result.

    To each their own. I just see a big difference between the high and low skilled players. I don't get scored on a lot by shots from someone just crossing the blue line and those rarely go in for me. That's also still skill related because you're not defending it. Why are you letting someone constantly step over the blue line and shoot?

    Isn't every multiplayer game programmed so everyone has a chance to win? It's up to you to use your skill to win with the tools you're given. Just like everyone else. If someone sees you not defending from a particular area, they're going to exploit that. Recognize what your opponents are doing and adjust your strategies.

    The problem with these “defending areas” you mentioned are not all good scoring areas but yet have a high chance to go in this game. The further away you are from the net and shoot without a screen, it’s gonna be a save. Or should at least be if this series had any indication of what a good scoring area is. There are many areas that aren’t going to be defended on ice. It’s just not possible to defend everything like I said.

    I for one am sick and tired, year after year its the same thing. It’s a boring product when you absolutely know there’s going to be an exploit every year that determines games, not actual skill. Why is the same guarantee breakaway goal from NHL 18 back in NHL 19? Why? Players complained about penalty shots or breakaways being a guaranteed goal every time. The devs have said there are no guaranteed goals in this series. But I beg to defer.

    How is throwing a shot on net from the blue line a high scoring chance when they so rarely go in? Maybe it's how I play. I don't know. It's just very uncommon a weak shot from someone stepping over the blue line goes in. Both for and against me. Yeah, I take them now and then if I don't have any other options, but it's incredibly rare if it scores. It's also really uncommon that someone takes this shot against me. Maybe it's how I defend. I don't play passive with 2 defenders deep in my zone. I tend to force my opponents to work their way in to my zone. Which very frequently means they don't get chances to take a weak shot once they step over the blue line.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    EA needs to stop programming the game to the "all play" "everyone can win" mindset. Get back to the hardcore days of NHL 09/10/11/12.

    How is 19 not hardcore enough? There's a world of difference between a highly skilled player and someone lesser skilled. You can't just go in to any mode at any level and expect to be successful if you don't know what you're doing.

    I cant tell if you are being serious or trolling saying that. In my opinion, there is absolutely not much of a difference. It doesnt take much to be "elite" in this game and that in itself creates a low skill gap. EA loves using the skill gap phrase and they term it incorrectly. This game is programmed so everybody has a chance to win. You commented in a latter statement talking about random acts. Those exact acts that are random are one of the reasons the skill gap is so low. It doesnt take skill to blindly throw pucks on net from all angles and to rip shots as soon as you cross the blue line, nor does it take skill to be rewarded for not pressing buttons and making bad, unrealistic hockey plays. It takes no skill or creativity with these cookie cutter EASHL builds. It doesnt allow players to play to their strengths and the limitations of these builds makes people all play the same way. It makes the game very boring and most games all have the same feel and end result.

    To each their own. I just see a big difference between the high and low skilled players. I don't get scored on a lot by shots from someone just crossing the blue line and those rarely go in for me. That's also still skill related because you're not defending it. Why are you letting someone constantly step over the blue line and shoot?

    Isn't every multiplayer game programmed so everyone has a chance to win? It's up to you to use your skill to win with the tools you're given. Just like everyone else. If someone sees you not defending from a particular area, they're going to exploit that. Recognize what your opponents are doing and adjust your strategies.

    The problem with these “defending areas” you mentioned are not all good scoring areas but yet have a high chance to go in this game. The further away you are from the net and shoot without a screen, it’s gonna be a save. Or should at least be if this series had any indication of what a good scoring area is. There are many areas that aren’t going to be defended on ice. It’s just not possible to defend everything like I said.

    I for one am sick and tired, year after year its the same thing. It’s a boring product when you absolutely know there’s going to be an exploit every year that determines games, not actual skill. Why is the same guarantee breakaway goal from NHL 18 back in NHL 19? Why? Players complained about penalty shots or breakaways being a guaranteed goal every time. The devs have said there are no guaranteed goals in this series. But I beg to defer.

    How is throwing a shot on net from the blue line a high scoring chance when they so rarely go in? Maybe it's how I play. I don't know. It's just very uncommon a weak shot from someone stepping over the blue line goes in. Both for and against me. Yeah, I take them now and then if I don't have any other options, but it's incredibly rare if it scores. It's also really uncommon that someone takes this shot against me. Maybe it's how I defend. I don't play passive with 2 defenders deep in my zone. I tend to force my opponents to work their way in to my zone. Which very frequently means they don't get chances to take a weak shot once they step over the blue line.

    It ain’t hard at all to score once you cross the blue and head for the top of the face off circle and fire it far side low and there’s a high chance it can go in. I see it every time I play EASHL. Righty’s seem to have an advantage at this. It might be an over exaggeration of saying hit the blue and fire and it goes in a lot. If it don’t go in, you can’t get a cheese rebound that the goalie will seem to kick toward a teammate. A lot of goal. I see both for and against are simply because of terrible goaltending not “snipes”.

    I guess the point is, if the goalie can see it. It should be a save. With goals being scored like they are in this series, it’s not a wonder why no one wants to play it.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    587 posts Member
    edited May 16
    Cifeo wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    That's just the thing: if your main strategy is to just step over the blue line and let her rip over and over again, you shouldn't even come close to scoring. I don't care if you shoot 100 times on net like that, you're getting NO goals.

    It's not up to me to get in front of muffins to stop them, it's up to the programmers to PROGRAM this game correctly.

    You say randomness happens in real NHL games. Guess what also happens? D-men will let their goalies stop shots they ABSOLUTELY can stop, like muffins from the point. Every time. Do these shots sometimes go in? Yeah, sometimes a goalie can bobble the puck and it goes in. But this is a video game, not real life.

    The programmers at EA didn't program real life into this game. The AI players don't decide things, they don't learn, they don't do "mistakes". They are programmed to do something and they dovwhat they're supposed to do according to the programmer's parameters they were given. So when a puck deflects a certain way, that's not real life, that's been programmed into the game. It's manipulated by the code so that users aren't frustrated at wasting time chasing loose pucks when there's only 4 minutes in each period. To keep the game "flowing".

    And there are certain aspects of EA NHL that if they were too realistic, it would make things not fun from a 'video game' standpoint.

    That's really the most frustrating part for me; as a lover of the actual SPORT of hockey, this game makes too many concessions towards the videogame enthusiasts rather than those who know and love the sport.

    Shooting 15 times from the blue line over and over is as viable a strategy in NHL 19 as cycling the puck to score. It doesn't matter if you stopped it 14 times in a row, all it takes is that one random chance... I have no interest in playing a game like that.

    I don't care if I'm up 5-0, if my opponent scores an "EA Goal", I'm out. Mentally and physically, I just can't be bothered.

    You and I are very alike. I've been playing the game for almost 14 years and the EASHL goals given to really bad teams to make the game exciting or give them a chance at winning just break the spirit.

    Yes, hockey is random, but there are very clearly instances of scripted goals that go in the net under certain circumstances. Late game when the AI takes a penalty, close games where stats are similar but one team is down by 2 or more goals, experienced high level teams in EASHL losing to teams that were just created, and more. People say these are based on your actions in the game, but there is absolutely a "comeback" mechanic at play sometimes. It's not lag and it's not bad play, it's just RNG and sometimes you get screwed over even if you shouldn't.

    [Socair - edited for profanity]

    From what I read here, we can agree that we want to play a game and either win or lose by our own actions, not by some programmed, scripted nonsense. Unfortunately, I think we are in the minority on that though.

    I would gladly accept a loss every time if it’s me who loses the game. There are times I feel like I don’t have a fair chance against my opponent. I can grease harder and play better just to lose to garbage. It’s the staple of the series.
  • rcompton78 wrote: »
    apperos76 wrote: »
    So I think there is definitely a skill gap. That is the reason you see the same 20-30 players basically never lose to anyone but each other. The major issue, though, is that the skill gap is all basically derived from the horrendous puck protect/glide and backward skate exploiting. It is not who makes smart passes, clean breakouts, or cycles the puck better. It is who can ice dance in the corner better until the short side shot or cross crease opens up. If you are great at puck protect, glide, and backwards skating you will be a top player. That is absolutely a joke.

    That being said, outside of that elite few, a lot of the games everyone else plays might as well be a crapshoot, and this is where people come up with ice tilt theories, because sometimes the randomness of the game makes it feel that way. Real hockey is random, but nowhere near how random this game feels sometimes.

    What I am basically saying is that the top, top players are basically unbeatable unless you can also abuse puck protect, glide, and backwards skating. After that, though, the game seems tuned to make it that anyone can win in any given game. This, I think, drives all but the top players away from the game.

    Very well said. I agree fully to this. There is a skill gap, the same guys are always winning tourneys but from the footage I have watched on twitch they all play the same game (skate back, semi turn, glide protect 1 hand tuck short side wrister). Good on them for having great thumbs and learning/perfecting the system. BUT they are a small portion of a small community IMO. Rewarding good hockey sense and plays is essential to bring back old fans (if even possible) and bring in new fans. After all the market for a hockey game is already small since I am guessing most buyers are hockey fans.

    Totally agree with your post and also it's these same elite players that were crying in the beginning of release that the goalies were to hard to score on because the couldn't score their go to moves

    In all fairness, most of the YouTubers are hardly anything "elite". I could make myself an elite streamer too if I edited and only posted video of where I played subpar opponents or had friends play against me to make me look good. If us players would stop putting these people on a pedestal and pay them attention, they wouldn't be much but an afterthought.

    Agreed that a lot of streamers and youtube players are not elite. My original post that this poster quoted was about the e-sports tourney NHL team tourney winners and the GWC players that are always contending and winning. They always seem to be the same players from 18 to 19. I mean I think the same 3 players have won all the NHL backed tourneys this year. it shows you something for sure. They have learned the system and are good at it.
  • lphabsfan
    36 posts Member
    edited May 18
    Guys (and gals). When are you going to realize that EA as a whole does not give a damn about any of this. Some new features sure but when it comes to gameplay there is a trend in all games and especially at EA that in order to make money you need to create a competitive imbalance. This gets people to spend money hoping that better gear or players or whatever will make them better and more dominant. It's just that simple.

    They don't care that that it's unrealistic to simply hold a button and make it nearly impossible to take the puck off someone. They don't care that the AI is going to be a detriment to your ability to defend (even when you continuously switch players to try and defend. Goalies who make the weirdest decisions ever in terms of positions? Bring it on. Ice tilt? Goals from the blue line? Penalties that don't make sense? Stick lift attempts that turn into hooks for some reason? Poke checks that probably only 1 out of 7 times works and at least two of which turn in to automatic penalties? Who cares.

    And nowhere is this more evident in their controller design. They know that a significant percentage of their gamer base does not have the ability/inclination to learn the skill stick. And that's fine. If you're able to master that then sure, go ahead and open up more abilities and puck control. But can anyone justify why there are key buttons that are available on skill shift that aren't available on the hybrid yet there are empty buttons?

    Hustle is gone yet L3 is not being used.
    Strategies/quick plays aren't there yet there is no use for the 4-way pad.
    Line changes are not available even during a stoppage of play when we'd be able to press a button and scroll through since it's not in game.
    Protect the puck which has become a huge component isn't there despite the triangle button having no use.
    There also seems to be a huge difference in terms of stick checking between the two controllers.

    Am I a hybrid control person? yes. Does it tick me off? You're damn right. Do I acknowledge that the skill stick will naturally have an advantage? Absolutely.

    But this is a focused competitive disadvantage that EA is intentionally creating. Will anything happen? Probably not. Why? Because at the end of the day those that are invested in the game will buy it. Those that are frustrated with it will probably buy it to because of FOMO. And those that don't have a clue won't have a clue because they'll see the commercials of players doing crazy things and false advertising of legends and all that stuff.


    [Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    lphabsfan wrote: »
    Guys (and gals). When are you going to realize that EA as a whole does not give a damn about any of this. Some new features sure but when it comes to gameplay there is a trend in all games and especially at EA that in order to make money you need to create a competitive imbalance. This gets people to spend money hoping that better gear or players or whatever will make them better and more dominant. It's just that simple.

    They don't care that that it's unrealistic to simply hold a button and make it nearly impossible to take the puck off someone. They don't care that the AI is going to be a detriment to your ability to defend (even when you continuously switch players to try and defend. Goalies who make the weirdest decisions ever in terms of positions? Bring it on. Ice tilt? Goals from the blue line? Penalties that don't make sense? Stick lift attempts that turn into hooks for some reason? Poke checks that probably only 1 out of 7 times works and at least two of which turn in to automatic penalties? Who cares.

    And nowhere is this more evident in their controller design. They know that a significant percentage of their gamer base does not have the ability/inclination to learn the skill stick. And that's fine. If you're able to master that then sure, go ahead and open up more abilities and puck control. But can anyone justify why there are key buttons that are available on skill shift that aren't available on the hybrid yet there are empty buttons?

    Hustle is gone yet L3 is not being used.
    Strategies/quick plays aren't there yet there is no use for the 4-way pad.
    Line changes are not available even during a stoppage of play when we'd be able to press a button and scroll through since it's not in game.
    Protect the puck which has become a huge component isn't there despite the triangle button having no use.
    There also seems to be a huge difference in terms of stick checking between the two controllers.

    Am I a hybrid control person? yes. Does it tick me off? You're damn right. Do I acknowledge that the skill stick will naturally have an advantage? Absolutely.

    But this is a focused competitive disadvantage that EA is intentionally creating. Will anything happen? Probably not. Why? Because at the end of the day those that are invested in the game will buy it. Those that are frustrated with it will probably buy it to because of FOMO. And those that don't have a clue won't have a clue because they'll see the commercials of players doing crazy things and false advertising of legends and all that stuff.


    [Socair - edited swear filter]

    Are you saying they removed changing lines/strategies from hybrid controls to force people to spend more money? I don't see how that's remotely true. I don't have numbers to back this up, but I don't know anyone that uses hybrid controls. I know there are some out there, like yourself, but to say it's a significant percentage of the playerbase does not have the ability or inclination to learn the skill stick seems a bit unrealistic.

    You get hooking calls when you stick lift out of position. You take penalties for tripping when you poke from bad angles. That's not some form of ice tilt. You just need to learn how to defend better and play a more disciplined game.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Are you saying they removed changing lines/strategies from hybrid controls to force people to spend more money? I don't see how that's remotely true. I don't have numbers to back this up, but I don't know anyone that uses hybrid controls. I know there are some out there, like yourself, but to say it's a significant percentage of the playerbase does not have the ability or inclination to learn the skill stick seems a bit unrealistic.

    You get hooking calls when you stick lift out of position. You take penalties for tripping when you poke from bad angles. That's not some form of ice tilt. You just need to learn how to defend better and play a more disciplined game.

    I am saying that 100% the people at EA have a goal in mind to create a competitive imbalance in order to make money. Removing strategies and changes is one of many (which you chose to ignore the others) ways in which they do that.

    There has been enough evidence shown on the boards to show that the poke check aspect of the game is extremely broken. With regards to the hooking calls, I was unaware there was something called the "hook" button. I was under the impression it was called the "lift stick" button. My mistake.

    And how can you defend better when anyone who uses the stick control functions has the hustle buttons and hybrid doesn't. See? Competitive disadvantage.
  • lphabsfan wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Are you saying they removed changing lines/strategies from hybrid controls to force people to spend more money? I don't see how that's remotely true. I don't have numbers to back this up, but I don't know anyone that uses hybrid controls. I know there are some out there, like yourself, but to say it's a significant percentage of the playerbase does not have the ability or inclination to learn the skill stick seems a bit unrealistic.

    You get hooking calls when you stick lift out of position. You take penalties for tripping when you poke from bad angles. That's not some form of ice tilt. You just need to learn how to defend better and play a more disciplined game.

    I am saying that 100% the people at EA have a goal in mind to create a competitive imbalance in order to make money. Removing strategies and changes is one of many (which you chose to ignore the others) ways in which they do that.

    There has been enough evidence shown on the boards to show that the poke check aspect of the game is extremely broken. With regards to the hooking calls, I was unaware there was something called the "hook" button. I was under the impression it was called the "lift stick" button. My mistake.

    And how can you defend better when anyone who uses the stick control functions has the hustle buttons and hybrid doesn't. See? Competitive disadvantage.

    The idea of multiple controller schemes was to gradually shift the players who were used to those controls on older games to transition to the new control setup. How is it EAs fault if you or anybody else doesnt take the time to learn and accustom yourselves to the updated controls? I didn't start playing EASHL till NHL11 and I used classic controls until NHL13. I now play with and against the best on the console I play on. I decided to learn the proper controls to be competitive during the summer when the game dies down so I was prepared for the next installment. Complaining about this is like if I decided to complain to the console company about party chats because I refused to purchase a headset. Start getting used to the controls now and be ready for NHL20. Start in free skate mode, move up to offline mode, starting at the lowest difficulty then progress to online. You will eventually get there.
  • Daddy5B
    48 posts Member
    > @EpiCxOwNeD said:
    > Bring back accountability to your actions. Too many years. Too many bad goals are rewarded to players who make bad decisions and get rewarded for it. It’s not fun being in a good position making a smart defensive play just for the other player to get bailed out by the game and the puck go into the back of the net.
    >
    > Also, I think players are fed up with guarantee goals disguised as “high quality scoring areas”. No reason why a shot should always go in from a particular area. That doesn’t promote hockey. It promotes who can get to the exploit area faster. Yes, I get that there is high scoring areas on the ice in real life. But if you try to score in the same spot from the same area, a goalie will learn where you’re where gonna go with the shot.


    This is something I've been wanting for years now. The goalies should gradually learn during the game. Say, if he gives up 2 goals from the same spot short-side, he should shift over a bit. Or if they're beat by the backhand-forehand-backhand on a breakaway, take that away the next time. And add some randomness to it. It's a bit boring seeing the same goals over and over, and I'm guilty of it, too. I'll take the high percentage shot unless I feel like changing it up for whatever reason.
    Casual goalie gameplay: https://t.co/tQnYxAsyKy
  • Daddy5B wrote: »
    > @EpiCxOwNeD said:
    > Bring back accountability to your actions. Too many years. Too many bad goals are rewarded to players who make bad decisions and get rewarded for it. It’s not fun being in a good position making a smart defensive play just for the other player to get bailed out by the game and the puck go into the back of the net.
    >
    > Also, I think players are fed up with guarantee goals disguised as “high quality scoring areas”. No reason why a shot should always go in from a particular area. That doesn’t promote hockey. It promotes who can get to the exploit area faster. Yes, I get that there is high scoring areas on the ice in real life. But if you try to score in the same spot from the same area, a goalie will learn where you’re where gonna go with the shot.


    This is something I've been wanting for years now. The goalies should gradually learn during the game. Say, if he gives up 2 goals from the same spot short-side, he should shift over a bit. Or if they're beat by the backhand-forehand-backhand on a breakaway, take that away the next time. And add some randomness to it. It's a bit boring seeing the same goals over and over, and I'm guilty of it, too. I'll take the high percentage shot unless I feel like changing it up for whatever reason.

    A great idea that will never happen y ,let's once again go back to the beta were you had to actually work for a goal but all it took were the "Elite Twitch Streamers" and their disciples to complain that it was to hard to score and boom they made the goalies trash once again ,I hold no hope that 20 will be any better than 19
  • Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    lphabsfan wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Are you saying they removed changing lines/strategies from hybrid controls to force people to spend more money? I don't see how that's remotely true. I don't have numbers to back this up, but I don't know anyone that uses hybrid controls. I know there are some out there, like yourself, but to say it's a significant percentage of the playerbase does not have the ability or inclination to learn the skill stick seems a bit unrealistic.

    You get hooking calls when you stick lift out of position. You take penalties for tripping when you poke from bad angles. That's not some form of ice tilt. You just need to learn how to defend better and play a more disciplined game.

    I am saying that 100% the people at EA have a goal in mind to create a competitive imbalance in order to make money. Removing strategies and changes is one of many (which you chose to ignore the others) ways in which they do that.

    There has been enough evidence shown on the boards to show that the poke check aspect of the game is extremely broken. With regards to the hooking calls, I was unaware there was something called the "hook" button. I was under the impression it was called the "lift stick" button. My mistake.

    And how can you defend better when anyone who uses the stick control functions has the hustle buttons and hybrid doesn't. See? Competitive disadvantage.

    Where is there proof here on these boards that poke check is extremely broken? It's probably the best it's ever been. You're punished for bad pokes. That's how it should be.

    It makes no sense whatsoever to add some kind of balancing by the game. It's totally pointless to have it. That's been debated endlessly here so I'm not getting in to it. The only thing I'll say is that you will never get any better at this game so long as you believe the computer scripts your wins and your own skill isn't to blame.

    For me it's a stick lift button because the majority of the time I'm lifting because I'm in a good position. Yeah, sometimes I get a hooking call because I'm attempting a lift from behind. That's my fault.

    You choose to play on Hybrid. It's good EA has that option as there are some people that don't have full control over their hands so simpler controls mean they can still enjoy the game.
  • Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    Daddy5B wrote: »

    This is something I've been wanting for years now. The goalies should gradually learn during the game. Say, if he gives up 2 goals from the same spot short-side, he should shift over a bit. Or if they're beat by the backhand-forehand-backhand on a breakaway, take that away the next time. And add some randomness to it. It's a bit boring seeing the same goals over and over, and I'm guilty of it, too. I'll take the high percentage shot unless I feel like changing it up for whatever reason.

    So, score 2 shots the same way, then you know the goalie is going to cheat in that direction and leave the other side wide open. That would be horribly exploited.

Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!