EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 gets development boost from EA

Prev134
http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/nhl-20-gets-boost-ea/

"Persons close to the development of the game have told Sports Gamers Online that management added extra developers at EA Vancouver to assist with the build of NHL 20. This transition, according to one person with direct knowledge, took place shortly after the release of NHL 19 last September.

“With the next generation of systems coming, EA is determined not to make the same mistakes again,” the source said. “They want a smooth transition, and don’t want to spend years recovering from the jump.”"

What do you guys think about this?

Replies

  • RSall14
    605 posts Member
    Added help so they could finally move the game to Frostbite.
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    Added help so they could finally move the game to Frostbite.

    Why does everyone want nhl to go to frostbite? That system is known as a nightmare to work with. That's the exact opposite of what you want.
  • Kilumnatii
    3 posts New member
    Frostbite brings it to PC!!!
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    Added help so they could finally move the game to Frostbite.

    Why does everyone want nhl to go to frostbite? That system is known as a nightmare to work with. That's the exact opposite of what you want.

    I think it’s because since other EA sports titles are using it, I guess they can share features and other things easier maybe. Just a guess as to why.
  • RSall14
    605 posts Member
    RSall14 wrote: »
    Added help so they could finally move the game to Frostbite.

    Why does everyone want nhl to go to frostbite? That system is known as a nightmare to work with. That's the exact opposite of what you want.

    No clue, it's not like its going to fix all the current problems with the game.
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    Added help so they could finally move the game to Frostbite.

    EA’s Frostbite Engine Doing More Harm Than Good?
    http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/eas-frostbite-engine-doing-more-harm-than-good/
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    RSall14 wrote: »
    Added help so they could finally move the game to Frostbite.

    Why does everyone want nhl to go to frostbite? That system is known as a nightmare to work with. That's the exact opposite of what you want.

    From what I gather pretty much every EA game is to end up on Frostbite. They want a universal engine. From there, I would assume it is easier to swap devs and features from other titles.
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    Added help so they could finally move the game to Frostbite.

    Why does everyone want nhl to go to frostbite? That system is known as a nightmare to work with. That's the exact opposite of what you want.

    From what I gather pretty much every EA game is to end up on Frostbite. They want a universal engine. From there, I would assume it is easier to swap devs and features from other titles.

    New star wars game is going to unreal 4 i think. After the debacle of anthems launch, and the issues frostbite is responsible for, I'm gonna wager a move away from it is going to happen.
  • If they're remaking it "from the ground up" what modes will be removed this time?
    EASHL player
  • RSall14
    605 posts Member
    RSall14 wrote: »
    Added help so they could finally move the game to Frostbite.

    EA’s Frostbite Engine Doing More Harm Than Good?
    http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/eas-frostbite-engine-doing-more-harm-than-good/

    I know all the grievances it gives, just pointing out the added devs is probably because of the engine switch.
  • jrago73
    623 posts Member
    If they're remaking it "from the ground up" what modes will be removed this time?

    Hopefully everything but 6's eashl, vs, hut and franchise.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    Hopefully everything but 6's eashl, vs, hut and franchise.

    EASHL 3s needs to stay, its actually alot more fun that you'd think. Especially for smaller clubs

  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    RSall14 wrote: »
    Added help so they could finally move the game to Frostbite.

    Why does everyone want nhl to go to frostbite? That system is known as a nightmare to work with. That's the exact opposite of what you want.

    From what I gather pretty much every EA game is to end up on Frostbite. They want a universal engine. From there, I would assume it is easier to swap devs and features from other titles.

    New star wars game is going to unreal 4 i think. After the debacle of anthems launch, and the issues frostbite is responsible for, I'm gonna wager a move away from it is going to happen.

    That's a definite possibility. I would assume the universal Frostbite idea was before realizing all these issues. I would assume as well they will probably scrap that universal idea as well.

    As for the topic at hand, I am thinking all the added devs is probably to hopefully clean up some long overdue issues in NHL titles and probably for the transition to the new gen consoles. I guess time will tell. NHL 20 is definitely a defining title for me. It either floats or sinks for me. Getting tired of this game and its direction.
  • jrago73
    623 posts Member
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Hopefully everything but 6's eashl, vs, hut and franchise.

    EASHL 3s needs to stay, its actually alot more fun that you'd think. Especially for smaller clubs

    I hate 3's and dont like having the player base split up into 9 different queues.

    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You can like 3's, but you're wrong for doing so lol.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    Not sure what to make of it, honestly. Since the next gen is coming for 2021, does this mean they will develop both 2020 and 2021 simultaneously, or are these fresh forces working on 2021 version only?
  • zingaa1
    406 posts Member
    After the failure this year, I just can't trust EA to do anything right. With the developers talking of implementing something new into 20, in addition to fixing the problems from this year, is just way too much for them to handle.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited June 2019
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of it, honestly. Since the next gen is coming for 2021, does this mean they will develop both 2020 and 2021 simultaneously, or are these fresh forces working on 2021 version only?

    They was a next gen version and old gen version when the PS4 released. So perhaps. The next gen version was considerably stripped down though - ala NHL 15. I'd hope they learned a big lesson after that debacle.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of it, honestly. Since the next gen is coming for 2021, does this mean they will develop both 2020 and 2021 simultaneously, or are these fresh forces working on 2021 version only?

    They was a next gen version and old gen version when the PS4 released. So perhaps. The next gen version was considerably stripped down though - ala NHL 15. I'd hope they learned a big lesson after that debacle.

    From what I read, more devs have been brought in for 20 and most of the devs are working on 20, and a smaller team on next gen version, which would possibly be NHL 21. So it looks like they are taking an extra year (or 2 if it's NHL 22) to get ready for the next gen jump. I doubt we will get another 15 debacle, or at least, nowhere near as bad.

    Nothing confirmed of course, but apparently EA has learned their lesson and don't want us to think they don't care too much for their NHL franchise.
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Jammerx73x wrote: »
    If they don't have.....

    1. Custom logo importing.
    2. Create your own Goalie mask/ importing.
    3. Being able to use your own face.
    4. Custom music importing.
    5. Roster sharing.
    6. Winter Classic/ Stadium Series or any other outdoor setting.

    ..... in NHL 20 then I am not buying. If one of these things are missing, then I'm out. I'll get COD Modern Warfare or WWE 2K20 instead.

    Not only a personal face, I want to add all missing player faces to the game. Therefore need to scan photos fronm players on PC website of EA and upload to my account and to the missing players. A pic upload function for rhe many missing player profile pics we need to. It can not be that so many real players have no pics in her player profiles..
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    Unfortunately, I can't say I'm enthusiastic about this news. It won't matter if they add 500 or 5000 new developers for this game if in the end the DIRECTION the game takes is going to be the same exact direction it's been taking for the last 10 years.

    Sad to say, but I don't see it changing one bit. NHL 20 (and every iteration thereafter) will be the same arcade, casual-friendly bore-fest of a "hockey" game it's been forever. I'd dearly love to see them prove me wrong though...
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!