EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 gets development boost from EA

Replies

• Jammerx73x wrote: »
    Yeah it was a failure. First of all they are a number of players who couldn't play this game for months due to the Dressing Room Error's. 2nd, they tooned this game so much that you had to do a complete 180 to adjust every month to where it started playing nothing like the demo and more like NHL18. 3rd, don't even get me started on the match making debacle.

And it's not unique for Devs to listen when the game wasn't working for most of it's customers.

That's fair. I was never affected by the dressing room errors. I had the same amount of issues this year as I have in past years.

I disagreed with a lot of the tuning they did this year, like I do every year, but for the first time ever they actually changed it back. You say other devs do that all the time, but not these ones. They usually treat us like morons and keep heading down the wrong direction. Every year the same thing, they release a great demo/beta, tune back to the previous game despite complaints, ignore pleas to change it back, and then release another great demo/beta, and then change it back again after people bought it.

So yeah, compared to other years, I don't consider this a failure.

I don’t think I would consider NHL 19 a failure, I personally would say it was a wasted opportunity. Beta was fantastic. Maybe a little tweaks here and there. But then we ultimately played NHL 18 2.0 for three months. I guess once that happened, many people were upset that the game they bought off beta gameplay had just lost hope I guess. It’s going to be hard to convince people to trust the series again.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Oh for sure Seth has every right to have his opinion and like the game. There are certain (very few) aspects I like about the game myself.

That said he called the game great and a step in the right direction. I wanted to know "why" it was so.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Oh for sure Seth has every right to have his opinion and like the game. There are certain (very few) aspects I like about the game myself.

That said he called the game great and a step in the right direction. I wanted to know "why" it was so.

I'm speaking purely about the gameplay, and I like it. The skating is so much improved over last year (though I do think it was better in the beta). I like poke-checks as they are (though again, I preferred how it was in the beta). I never complained about poke spamming, but I do like how risky they are. When you do time it right, it works, we've had years where that wasn't the case. I already mentioned the fact that the puck carrier can't drag the puck through a defenders skate or stick. Other years have done this too, but they have had years where you could in between.

I feel like there is a good goal scoring variety. One-timers aren't automatic, can be defended, and the goalie makes saves on them sometimes. I think they are too good at getting across to make a save, but it's not impossible to score. You can score on a few different breakaway moves, you can plain beat the goalie with a wrister, or slapshot and even beat them five-hole. Yes, there are still some terrible goals given up, but no worse than any other year. Yes, there are some automatic goals that can be called an exploit, but it is defendable. If you come across a team that only tries for this type of goal, it's easy to shut them down if you play smart.

The AI is still awful. I don't understand how it was better last gen than this gen. It was a big step backward, and it was already not good back then.

As far as other modes, or menu issues, I don't disagree. The menus are terrible. How can a current gen game struggle so much with some text over a picture? Stop making us download so much info, so many times, to get through the menus! It makes the whole game feel cheap and broken. Stop making opening bags a chore! Why does it take so many steps, so many menus to open up all the bags? Let us open all of them, let us skip the animation, don't make us hold right on the stick to "unzip" them. It's cute the first time. It's mind-bogglingly frustrating after the 10th. Let me jump right to the dressing room from the main menu. I don't want to have to go to World of Chel menu, play menu, mode menu, load dressing room, choose a position, ready up, start matchmaking.

I was only speaking of gameplay.

I'm speaking purely about the gameplay, and I like it. The skating is so much improved over last year (though I do think it was better in the beta). I like poke-checks as they are (though again, I preferred how it was in the beta). I never complained about poke spamming, but I do like how risky they are. When you do time it right, it works, we've had years where that wasn't the case. I already mentioned the fact that the puck carrier can't drag the puck through a defenders skate or stick. Other years have done this too, but they have had years where you could in between.

I feel like there is a good goal scoring variety. One-timers aren't automatic, can be defended, and the goalie makes saves on them sometimes. I think they are too good at getting across to make a save, but it's not impossible to score. You can score on a few different breakaway moves, you can plain beat the goalie with a wrister, or slapshot and even beat them five-hole. Yes, there are still some terrible goals given up, but no worse than any other year. Yes, there are some automatic goals that can be called an exploit, but it is defendable. If you come across a team that only tries for this type of goal, it's easy to shut them down if you play smart.

The AI is still awful. I don't understand how it was better last gen than this gen. It was a big step backward, and it was already not good back then.

As far as other modes, or menu issues, I don't disagree. The menus are terrible. How can a current gen game struggle so much with some text over a picture? Stop making us download so much info, so many times, to get through the menus! It makes the whole game feel cheap and broken. Stop making opening bags a chore! Why does it take so many steps, so many menus to open up all the bags? Let us open all of them, let us skip the animation, don't make us hold right on the stick to "unzip" them. It's cute the first time. It's mind-bogglingly frustrating after the 10th. Let me jump right to the dressing room from the main menu. I don't want to have to go to World of Chel menu, play menu, mode menu, load dressing room, choose a position, ready up, start matchmaking.

They can be defended but there are times you'll be looking at the puck as a defender, relatively far away from the passer, and the puck will go right through you. On the other hand players will intercept a pass they can't even see. I feel like intercepting passes was more consistent before.
    Casual goalie gameplay: https://t.co/tQnYxAsyKy
  • Daddy5B wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

They can be defended but there are times you'll be looking at the puck as a defender, relatively far away from the passer, and the puck will go right through you. On the other hand players will intercept a pass they can't even see. I feel like intercepting passes was more consistent before.

I absolutely agree. I have another post on here from the other day complaining about passes getting picked off by a guy not looking at the puck. And yeah, it is inconsistent when defending the slot (I usually take the body of the pass recipient), but it's always been inconsistent. I think it's a pretty good balance now, maybe defenders should be a little better. I don't think it would be good if defenders picked off every pass that they were looking at and within reach of.

• I agree with the mario lemuix avatar guy.this years game hands down the best of new gen. Other than the dressing room errors/cr glitches this game plays way better than any past nhl games on new gen. they just need to fix the L2 spam glitch tho that all top players use to gain speed boost. two top teams playing against each other doesn't even feel like a hockey game just players gaming a game by l2 spamming to speed boost, skating backwards to enter the zone etc.
  • zingaa1 wrote: »
    After the failure this year, I just can't trust EA to do anything right. With the developers talking of implementing something new into 20, in addition to fixing the problems from this year, is just way too much for them to handle.

What failure? This has been the best game this generation, and finally a turn in the right direction, including undoing some fixes that were causing problems that the devs didn't really think were happening. Listening to the community and their observations to undo a change is pretty unique from this dev team, so I've been very pleased this year.

Agreed. I joined 6s leagues again and am having a lot of fun again. I haven't enjoyed an NHL game this much in I can't remember how long
  • I was talking about the gameplay also. It’s just OK, it’s not great.

There are still remnants of the old skating engine that cause a “stuck in the mud” feeling, like especially when accelerating. There are still goalies making eye popping saves on 2 on 0’s as if it’s predetermined, then letting in “snipes” from the point with no screens/deflections. There are a HOST of other things.

In NHL 08 to 11 I could tell right away whether or not a game was going to be easy by the way a player moved. Not just in those games either, but in pretty much all the NHL games prior to 13 or maybe 12. I’ll just stick with NHL 08 to 11 (or last gen) for a point of reference.

I can still tell when a player’s not very good with the controller. They bee line for hits all day on defense and fire shots on net from every spot on the ice on offense. They’re frantic. They don’t set up in the offensive zone and at all or set up nice passing plays. Against these players on last gen the scores would be literally 15-1 if they lasted the entire game without quitting. Now they get bailed out by the AI.

I’ve been playing EA hockey games and sports games in general A LOT since the first one ever released. Not at all trying to sound like I’m bragging about it - I’m not, just trying to bring home a point - but I do know how to play them. I’m not the best BY FAR but I’m pretty good with a controller in my hand. I now have to sweat out 3-2 wins against these players even though I’m DAMAGING them in actual gameplay because AI intervention, goalies, and so called realistic, scrambly play which allows Bobby button masher to stay in the game and feel good about himself, instead of making him step back and learn to play the game better.

Yet I still play the game because it’s not that bad - despite all the randomness it’s actually great at times when playing someone who plays the game creatively, win or lose. But my god if there was ever a lower skill gap in a video game I’ve yet to witness it.

I’m not making this up. After dealing with this over and over again I decided to track this out of frustration. I took out a 10 game sample of some of the most one sided games I’ve played over the past few days where the score didn’t resemble the play at all. That’s 10 out of roughly 40 so say 25%. Here are the numbers summed up:

TOA 101:00 to 38:07
    SHOTS 238 to 143
    SCORE 20 to 17
    W/L RECORD 7 and 3

Now you could say I suck and I don’t know how to score or whatever which I guess is evident in this case, but my aim can’t be THAT BAD and theirs THAT GOOD. I don’t know how to glitch well, nor do I care to practice it. But I didn’t know how to glitch well on last gen either. The difference is my record on those 10 games would’ve been 10 and 0 or maybe 9 and 1 at worst with a much much much bigger goal differential.

Defensively I clog the lanes and keep high danger scoring chances to a minimum. Offensively I try to set up plays and get my opponent turning the wrong way, chasing, over pursuing etc. Like a matador to a bull - only unlike in the past, this gen’s games really aid the bull.

I obviously have no way of proving anything so you’ll have to take my word for it here and if you want I’m open to playing anyone and discussing the game so you can PM me.

I don’t even care much about losing. To be honest sometimes losses are thoroughly satisfying. It’s just the things that go on in this game are WOW. I’m the first one to give it up to a person after they’ve scored a goal or beat me by outplaying me.

I think there are a few people reading this who can relate. A lot of my friends who were NHL junkies and diehards have altogether stopped playing even though I’ve tried to convince them that 19 is decent. The problem is they want more than decent. We all do. Bring it back to where it was. Stop it EA. Stop with the randomness. Bring back full control.
  • Yeah they definitely need some help/new developers moving forward for making this game, it's crazy how bad they have gotten at developing it, normally you see this kind of stuff from a new company, not a company that's been making games for 25 years. They're supposed to get better and improve as the years go on, not get worse to the point where it's like it's the first time they've ever created a hockey game, 19 is garbage.
  • Tonysl79 wrote: »
    When they have no competition from other game makers there’s no real reason to invest time and money into nhl since regurgitating the same game helps ea generate its 2018 net worth to 5.15 billion.

So whether a few people decide not to buy nhl 20 ea will be just fine and focus on profitability and getting extra online content purchases as the cfo said in his interview last year.

It would be awesome if the additional development resources were a result of some knowledge of a competitor.

• lphabsfan
    105 posts Member
    Dev boost to do what? Make an even crappier nonsensical "game"? The number of holes this game is mind boggling.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    I mean, NHL wasn't even whispered in their EA Play thing... Not even a mention or logo, nothing. LOL!
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    I mean, NHL wasn't even whispered in their EA Play thing... Not even a mention or logo, nothing. LOL!

They wait for the NHL Awards show to make announcements. They haven't been at EA Play in a couple of years.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    Which isn't the same as mentioning their game. A pamphlet. A loose leaf article... A logo. Anything to say "Hey, we're making a game, but we'll show it later".

You know what other EA game didn't even get a mention? Anthem... And we all know how THAT game is doing. LOL.
  • jrago73
    618 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

They wait for the NHL Awards show to make announcements. They haven't been at EA Play in a couple of years.

Which I think is a huge mistake. The guys watching the awards have a level of interest that we will seek out the info as it's made available. EA play however catches a lot more eyes that might be enticed to play for the first time.
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    edited June 2019
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Which I think is a huge mistake. The guys watching the awards have a level of interest that we will seek out the info as it's made available. EA play however catches a lot more eyes that might be enticed to play for the first time.

I personally like the way the studio have done it for the past couple of years, it feels as if they are targeting their core community rather by doing so. That's my own opinion though.
    Which isn't the same as mentioning their game. A pamphlet. A loose leaf article... A logo. Anything to say "Hey, we're making a game, but we'll show it later".

You know what other EA game didn't even get a mention? Anthem... And we all know how THAT game is doing. LOL.

Even if we had mentioned it at EA Play I'm pretty sure Keanu Reeves showing up after would have erased it from our memory.
    tenor.gif?itemid=14310969
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    EA_Roger wrote: »
    Even if we had mentioned it at EA Play I'm pretty sure Keanu Reeves showing up after would have erased it from our memory.

Nothing can beat Keanu's reveal... That and the big PSO2 coming to the west officially and on Xbox Exclusively blew everyone's minds. But in all seriousness, it was a huge missed opportunity, IMO. Like I said, didn't need to be anything but a logo with a "hey, we're gonna show you the game after the NHL awards, we haven't forgotten. "
    EA_Roger wrote: »

Nothing can beat Keanu's reveal... That and the big PSO2 coming to the west officially and on Xbox Exclusively blew everyone's minds. But in all seriousness, it was a huge missed opportunity, IMO. Like I said, didn't need to be anything but a logo with a "hey, we're gonna show you the game after the NHL awards, we haven't forgotten. "

I agree with Roger. Why talk about NHL games when you will do so at the awards where they won't talk about other games? The NHL games have their own specific reveal time. Nothing wrong with that, imo. I see your point though, but at the same time, not required by EA considering the NHL awards.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    NHL being talked about at E3 would be overshadowed immensely by everything else. I like how they have their own little news day after the other hype dies.
    PSN: B-Bunny