EA Forums - Banner

Probably the most underwhelming franchise release yet?

Replies

• bmore_80
    81 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Follisimo wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    EA is so completely out of touch with its players. Who is coming up with these idiotic and unwanted ideas? Does Madden have battle royale? Fifa? NBA? Do those franchises have 1's equivalents? No. Why? Because they're stupid ideas. People have been asking for everything but what they're putting into the game. Honestly, I've never seen a gaming company that is so embarrassingly out of touch with its player base.

Honestly, whomever is in charge of this should resign.

You aren't looking at the big picture obviously. There is a reason Sony didn't go to E3 this year. There is a reason Microsoft didn't show off lots of new games at E3..... the next-gen consoles are next year.

That is why NHL added a battle royale type thing from an already existing mode. It's the gimmick of the game for 20. They did announce a new broadcast team which they said Doc n Eddie only got like 30hrs of time for them, while the new group has like 300hrs of time put in. They dropped the whole NBC Sports thing because well you gotta adhere to what is allowed and isn't by their standards. They made some gameplay changes and added some new things.

I'm not saying NHL 20 is gonna be amazing, but I merely hope they learned their lessons from NHL 15 going next-gen. So when they have to bring things over it would have been a waste to have GM Connected,Frostbite, or the game on PC this year. But it's merely hopes for NHL 21 that they are actually prepared when the time comes.

This is the first well thought out post with some common sense that I've seen around here today.

They will wait to upgrade the engine until NHL21 when they have new consoles to work with.

If you hate the franchize that much then stop buying it and play a different game.

Post edited by bmore_80 on
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    That's great thinking, maybe we should ALL save our money and wait for NHL21 ;)
  • Moxrox84
    319 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    You want to see the difference between EA's sports division? Look at this from the new Madden 20 game:

Face of the Franchise: QB1
    Take the journey of an NFL superstar. Create a college quarterback and dominate the College Football Playoff, then impress the scouts at the NFL Combine. Find out where your story begins at the NFL Draft, and then fight to prove you belong in the league. Last long enough and you just might leave a legacy and even play in a few Pro Bowls. This new and customizable career campaign is all about you, with personalized playable scenarios, events, and dynamic challenges. The choices you make early on will affect how your career pans out!

Imagine this in Be A Pro.

You think Madden or FIFA or NBA players would be happy to see some battle royale mode? I think not. In fact, we're the only franchise with game modes not related to the actual sport. 1's? Who the hell asked for that? Battle Royale? This isn't hockey. It's certainly not the NHL.

[Socair - edited for profanity]
  • I didn't see enough gameplay to freak out yet. But, since we know the history of EA hockey, I'm cautiously pessimistic.
  • nickels55 wrote: »
    I didn't see enough gameplay to freak out yet.

This is something I have to keep in mind as well. I've been pretty negative in my reaction to the information released thus far.

A transformative gameplay experience could change that - but with things like board play and A.I. remaining untouched, it's going to be an uphill battle.
  • a battle royal....

• nickels55 wrote: »
    I didn't see enough gameplay to freak out yet.

This is something I have to keep in mind as well. I've been pretty negative in my reaction to the information released thus far.

A transformative gameplay experience could change that - but with things like board play and A.I. remaining untouched, it's going to be an uphill battle.

This is the first in a while where there's not much gameplay to even be excited about. Last year we were excited to see the new skating. At least in previous years there were some mechanics getting reworked in, like stick tie ups. Legit there's no new gameplay mechanics aside from shot and pickup animations. Crazy
  • I'm not too upset about the No Frostbite. It doesn't HAVE to have Frostbite to be good. The BR mode sounds more like a tournament mode to me, so I wouldn't be too upset over that either. Just because they label it as a Royale doesn't mean it miraculously turned in to Fortnite... I am glad they brought ONES to single player, hopefully this goalie AI is a good addition (personally didn't have an issue in singly player in NHL19 after adjusting sliders, my goalies were averaging ~90 - 91 save%).

One thing though that REALLY ticked me off last year was Legends... If they could do one thing to redeem themselves from last year it'd be adding Legends and Legend teams in to ALL modes. Adding the rest of the legends would be a more than welcome addition as well.. OR, just add Player custom rosters like 2K does with NBA.
  • Hm, so maybe they'll at least charge like $30 for it or something?
    Considering it's the re-build year.
  • Hm, so maybe they'll at least charge like $30 for it or something?

well they went down to $50 here in Canada from $79 after the first few weeks of release. So that right there is a good indication.
    I understand that they are trying, I don't want to bash the devs but it just seems like what is being prioritized is online, and driven for online sales (micro transactions). They are changing stuff each year don't get me wrong, but there are some aspects that are really lacking. Defensive AI, boardplay (hasn't been touched since they introduced it, and by now is atrocious), loose puck pickup (especially when competing against CPU), Offensive AI (cycling, defensemen passing the puck from the blue line to the front of the net instead of shooting). I think sales of the game would benefit if they prioritized the overall game mechanics, even if it was just every other year. But then again, their online sales might suffer which can not be accepted...
  • barrett098 wrote: »
    usmckillem wrote: »
    abhzlsy3eouv.png
    iicvvzuibaw5.png

It says goalies are improved with the new AI. Show me where they’re improved with these screenshots. Goalies are still garbage. I’ll pass plus no PC. Thanks but no thanks ea devs.

on the new features list it said goalie got 200 new save animations/puck cover animations but on the reveal trailer they looked exactly the same..movements and save animations. same thing it has been for almost 4-5 yrs now.

Goalies needed an overhaul and I don’t that’s what we’re getting. I doubt animations are going to change anything for as long as I have played this series, there will always be exploit goals and I don’t think next year will be any different.

They talk about covering up the puck and new save animations, but goalies are still terrible outside of the grease. They skate slow and can’t comprehend on how to come out of the net and leave it for a teammate or when a puck is coming down and an attacker is coming they’ll sit in the crease instead of safely shooting the puck away.

I hope it is a overhaul. Not just some tweaks.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    SaydaNeen wrote: »
    Hm, so maybe they'll at least charge like $30 for it or something?

well they went down to $50 here in Canada from $79 after the first few weeks of release. So that right there is a good indication.

That's probably because the game doesn't sell, or the store wants to offer aggressive prices, I am guessing it has little to do with EA's price policy...in Finland, you can get the physical standard version around 40 euros while PS Store sells the digital version for 69,95 all year long (until discounts in spring etc.)

No way in heck I am going to pay 70 euros for NHL20 even if I prefer digital copies.

• yeah, honestly I never really understood (as a Gamechanger) why they don't think something like proper hockey masks wouldn't excite more people than these fake street gang masks (or what it is?)

Even for the casual crowd. Not only they look worse, but I kinda find it disrespectful to something like a national sport. Or is this really a norm?
    Like kids playing in streets with these things over faces? I would feel kinda weird and uncomfortable as a parent to buy NHL 20 to a kid :(
  • WFWR26
    47 posts Member
    Little to no interest in the new customizable balaclavas, hats, apparel, or “Battle Royale” mode. Would rather more customization in club, player faces, etc.

Community wanted custom goalie masks? Didn’t get it

Community wanted more faces scanned? Didn’t get it

Community wanted a single player upgrade to Be A Pro and upgrades to Be A GM?
    Didn’t get it

Community wanted upgraded graphics?
    Didn’t get it

Community wanted better stadium atmosphere?
    Didn’t get it

Community wants Roster Sharing--Didn't get it

Community wants GM Connected--Didnt get it

Thanks for making NHL 20 and the foreseeable future of buying NHL games a pass. The bait and switch after the NHL 19 demo took the cake. There is one way I will buy another NHL, and its not gonna happen if the 2 things I've added to your list arent "In the Game."
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited June 2019

I would feel kinda weird and uncomfortable as a parent to buy NHL 20 to a kid :(

You cannot actually be serious about this
    Post edited by KidShowtime1867 on
  • I won't be buying this year purely because of Battle Royal Mode.

Paying EA for this garbage only encourages more epicly blind decision making from executives that get paid way too much to screw up this badly.

I won't purchase the game unless this crap is removed and the game discounted to reflect the fact that we got less of a product thanks to checks and balances at EA allowing such an astoundingly stupid choice to make it through to development.
    Twitch: MadCard05
    Youtube: Madwolf Gaming
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    Do you remember what happened with NHL 15 next-gen?
    Do you think they want to repeat the same thing again?

Adding things like Frostbite, GM Connected, and other big things wouldn't have been smart with them having to try and port them over next year. The BR mode they added is nothing more than an online tournament mode and probably didn't take a ton of effort.

Btw FIFA 20 isn't doing anything special. They added Volta mode aka street mode which you can't even play with your friends. Another brilliant EA move. So even their bread and butter isn't doing anything special with more than twice the crew.

Let's just hope NHL 20 does these things...
    1.) Gets shooting right
    2.) Puck pick-ups are better and seamless
    3.) LT-ing is removed as an effective method of abuse
    4.) Baby back bumps are toned down immensely
    5.) Goalies don't give up the juicy rebounds
    6.) Servers aren't completely awful (we know they will be though)

If you don't think the game is worth $60 then wait til it goes on sale for a price you deem it worthy of.