EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

EA, you have failed your core community and alienated your players

Prev134
I feel like a broken record, but when we keep getting the same game with a different cover, what else do you expect?

To any developers trying to gauge reactions to your NHL 20 reveal, we're disappointed but not surprised. Ever since the jump to current gen, your product has barely been anything more than a cash grab for a glorified $60 roster update. Your diverted focus to milking HUT for microtransactions while you continue to neglect gameplay and offline game modes is sickening. Trying to appeal to "artists, influencers and streamers" instead of trying to provide a game for actual hockey fans is insulting. Finally, introducing an embarrassing "Battle Royale" that no one asked for (and is nothing more than a simple bracket tournament) is a joke.

I understand that EA Vancouver is small studio with little resources when you compare it to the likes of FIFA and Madden. I get it, there's only so much you can do. I'm not sure if these are publishing decisions or a new direction you've adopted yourselves, but continue down this route and you will lose your core playerbase. You're appealing to new fans for a quick cash grab, but slowly you're watching your dedicated community walk out the door. How about working on features that we've been talking about for years? GM Connected, roster sharing, improved menu, simming and connectivity performance, the Winter Classic and All-Star game, etc. etc. If you're not going to listen to your community, don't expect us to buy your game.

I had already decided that I wouldn't be buying NHL 20 after being deceived by Legends from NHL 19. This reveal only solidifies that. I hope you guys get it together in time for NHL 21.

Replies

• Sort of embarrassing being under the ea umbrella and the best they can do for nhl 20 is a battle Royale that no one asked for.
    They ignored so many requests for roster sharing, winter classic, better connectivity and gameplay, gm connected all for cashing in on micro transactions. Congrats 🎉
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Yet EASHL gets as much, if not more attention than HUT and you say this game is focused on milking it for micro transactions. The thing is, without that you wouldn't see the amount of updates this game gets year after year. There is only one way to spend extra money in this game. One. Way. That's it. More time is spent between gameplay, EASHL, Franchise Mode and presentation than there is on HUT. It's not like the game is called HUT 20. So, yeah, you don't get GM Connected or Winter Classic. That's unfortunate, but just because of that it doesn't mean EA is only focused on nickel and diming you. My god. They made HUT even require spending less money.
  • That is exactly why I haven't bought the game since NHL 16. I've wanted to but I just tell myself there is better games out there and move on. I tried the 19 beta and I actually enjoyed myself but I didn't buy the game cause I just knew it was going to get tuned upon release and well....sure enough. I do believe I saw that they tuned it back to beta so I may download it of EA Access but the purchase of 20 is up in the air for me.

I like what I read about gameplay tuning but I mean, I'm extremely pessimistic. Unless something comes out over the summer that they held back (doubtful) or the gameplay tuning they do is implemented to perfection (lol) then it'll be another year of no virtual hockey for me. I got sick of giving EA my money for a subpar product over the years. This whole console generation has been a disappointment aside from the 19 beta which they ruined at release.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Yet EASHL gets as much, if not more attention than HUT and you say this game is focused on milking it for micro transactions. The thing is, without that you wouldn't see the amount of updates this game gets year after year. There is only one way to spend extra money in this game. One. Way. That's it. More time is spent between gameplay, EASHL, Franchise Mode and presentation than there is on HUT. It's not like the game is called HUT 20. So, yeah, you don't get GM Connected or Winter Classic. That's unfortunate, but just because of that it doesn't mean EA is only focused on nickel and diming you. My god. They made HUT even require spending less money.

In what single way does EASHL get more attention than HUT does? Last time I check HUT generates 100% more revenue than EASHL. EASHL didn’t get any improvement from 18. We still don’t have a practice mode. But yet, they still continue adding things to HUT.

They can use EASHL as their competitive format for ESports, yet they use a Draft Champions style HUT. There “highly competitive” game mode is ignored for versus style gameplay.
  • ieatstaples94
    18 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Sinbin wrote: »
    The thing is, without that you wouldn't see the amount of updates this game gets year after year.

This is why so many broken, half finished games being released; because of the mentality that a game needs to survive off of microtransactions and lootboxes. Publishers are taking advantage of this complacent mindset, and you're only feeding this mentality. EA's dirty hands have been stirring this pot for the last few years and it's only getting worse. Are you telling me single player story games don't make enough money to sustain themselves without microtransactions and loot boxes? The NHL series was going strong for 20 years before these ridiculous business practices.

Where does it even end? If we continue to buy a game that doesn't focus on offline game modes and gameplay, EA will see that as excuse to stop supporting it completely and diverting all attention to other microtransaction-heavy game avenues.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

In what single way does EASHL get more attention than HUT does? Last time I check HUT generates 100% more revenue than EASHL. EASHL didn’t get any improvement from 18. We still don’t have a practice mode. But yet, they still continue adding things to HUT.

They can use EASHL as their competitive format for ESports, yet they use a Draft Champions style HUT. There “highly competitive” game mode is ignored for versus style gameplay.

World of Chel. Threes. The new attribute system. Hockey bags, more customization, new drop-in system. All of that was reworked for 19. Yeah. It got just as much work attention as HUT it not more. HUT got more cards and new challenges and different synergies. Sure, no practice mode, but it's not the end of the world. They added more to EASHL than they did to HUT.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    The thing is, without that you wouldn't see the amount of updates this game gets year after year.

This is why so many broken, half finished games being released; because of the mentality that a game needs to survive off of microtransactions and lootboxes. Publishers are taking advantage of this complacent mindset, and you're only feeding this mentality. EA's dirty hands have been stirring this pot for the last few years and it's only getting worse. Are you telling me single player story games don't make enough money to sustain themselves without microtransactions and loot boxes? The NHL series was going strong for 20 years before these ridiculous business practices.

Where does it even end? If we continue to buy a game that doesn't focus on offline game modes and gameplay, EA will see that as excuse to stop supporting it completely and diverting all attention to other microtransaction-heavy game avenues.

The sport of hockey has to do with it as well. Look how popular it is compared to other sports. It ranks behind Basketball, which is behind Football, which is behind Soccer, etc. Baseball falls in there somewhere too. Hockey is more of a niche sport. It's not the kind of game kids play all over the world with minimal equipment. There's more going on here than what you perceive to be a video game lacking the features you think will make it sell millions of copies every year. If it were that easy, there wouldn't be only one company doing it.
    The sport of hockey has to do with it as well. Look how popular it is compared to other sports. It ranks behind Basketball, which is behind Football, which is behind Soccer, etc. Baseball falls in there somewhere too. Hockey is more of a niche sport. It's not the kind of game kids play all over the world with minimal equipment. There's more going on here than what you perceive to be a video game lacking the features you think will make it sell millions of copies every year. If it were that easy, there wouldn't be only one company doing it.

While you're not completely wrong, I think you're underestimating how popular hockey is. The growth of the game in the US has never been stronger when you look at how strong American development leagues are now, Scandinavian nations have always had a love for the game and there's no denying that's another market, and all of Canada? Hello? Want to talk niche? Let's talk Euro Truck Simulator and why that series is one of the best selling series on Steam. Like wut.

There's only one company making hockey games because EA has the sole license to the NHL.

All I'm saying is that if you put the effort into the game modes and features your core audience wants instead of grasping at straws for the demographic you think you should appeal, you'll have a solid game that will sell.
  • MadCard05
    91 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    It actually blew my mind how much of a let down the reveal was. I can generally find something to excite me, but for the first time in 6 years I'm at a complete loss.

I'm actually ticked off at the reveal. How is this what they came up with? And it stands to good reason that this isn't the people making the game at the ground level, but executives.

It literally looks like someone saw their grandson playing Fortnite and decided Battle Royal us what hockey needed. And you know, make HUT Cards shinier, and add scarves. The kids will love it!

It is embarrassing how out of touch this reveal felt. All I want is to play flipping hockey. The only thing they did to improve the core game play is add a small amount of new animations and improved the goalies, which I can only assume is because thr new animations exposed how bad they were and it had to be fixed.

That's it, despite the laundry list of crap they could have worked on with the core gameplay. And outside of that the non-HUT players got absolutely shafted in content.

I've never been ticked off at game management in 32 years until this crap. I can't believe how upset this has me.

Counting every Madden and NHL I've bought I've given these managment clowns over $1500 over the years. I wish I could have it all back.

Post edited by Socair on
    Twitch: MadCard05
    Youtube: Madwolf Gaming
  • twoorb
    52 posts Member
    I think they've moved onto work on next-gen console versions and just mailed it in with NHL 20
  • SaydaNeen
    47 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Here we go again, bashing the game before there is even gameplay....

"RPM Tech also ignites more speed to gameplay through revamped animation blending that allows players to execute shots, passes, and puck pickups without slowing a skater’s pace; creating faster, more skilled and more fluid plays up and down the ice."
    I am excited to see to what extent they mean by this ^ as some animations made it a bit awkward in certain situations. And I've been saying it for years that puck pickups, shooting sometimes (flipping to backhand for no reason, or spinning 360 slapshot) and some passing was lacking smoothness and sometimes looked far from reality. So, good on them.

They also added new broadcasting and looks like visuals were changed for the better which a lot of people were talking about for the past couple years. So, good on them.

Just because they mentioned "Royal" in the description doesn't mean it has turned in to Fortnite. It sounds more like an elimination tournament (which is EXACTLY what they said it was). Which could be interesting.

They also have to look at what makes them money, they are a business and HUT is a steady cashflow. Don't bash them for spending time improving the online portion as well as mechanics.

I think at this point people are just too eager to jump in and throw insults and accusations (and they are accusations because no real gameplay has been demo'd), chill out, wait until ~end of August to start complaining if it's warranted. Also noticed the majority of people that compain and bash have hardly any posts....

PS. If they could do one thing to redeem themselves from last year, Put Legends In ALL modes. Or, introduce roster sharing.
  • Still waiting for an nhl to hold my attention for longer the a few months. Last one I was seriously addicted too was 14.

Here's to hoping but I doubt it will fulfill my expectations. I expect the gameplay to be a dulled down version of hockey that cators more to content creators instead of hockey purists. I'm sure back skating will remain broken, goalies will not get the overhaul they so desperately needs and the online gameplay will be hit or miss.

And to the people saying common just wait for actually gameplay....we been goofed 5 years in a row. Same glitches and problems since 15, dont expect anything different in 20.

While you're not completely wrong, I think you're underestimating how popular hockey is. The growth of the game in the US has never been stronger when you look at how strong American development leagues are now, Scandinavian nations have always had a love for the game and there's no denying that's another market, and all of Canada? Hello? Want to talk niche? Let's talk Euro Truck Simulator and why that series is one of the best selling series on Steam. Like wut.

There's only one company making hockey games because EA has the sole license to the NHL.

All I'm saying is that if you put the effort into the game modes and features your core audience wants instead of grasping at straws for the demographic you think you should appeal, you'll have a solid game that will sell.

I would say you might be wildly overestimating the popularity of hockey. I like to use TV Viewership as an example as it's easier to see general interest across the board.

NBA Finals Average Viewership(in Millions)
    • 2019- 15.14 M
    • 2018- 17.56 M
    • 2017- 20.38 M

MLB World Series Average Viewership(in Millions)
    • 2018- 14.125 M
    • 2017- 18.926 M
    • 2016- 22.847

NFL Super Bowl(in Millions) (This ones comical)
    • LIII- 98 M
    • LII- 103 M
    • LI- 111M

NHL Stanley Cup(in Millions)
    • 2019- 5.3 M
    • 2018- 4.9 M
    • 2017- 4.7 M

I love hockey as much as everyone here. But people need to break the bubble that is hockey fandom and talk to non-hockey fans. They "just cant get into it" or "have no idea what's going on." We wont even get into the socioeconomic aspect of hockey being a bit of a "rich sport." People don't like to hear it but EA NHL gets such little work because the market is just as small. Even if everyone in Canada bought NHL 20. Thats 37 Million people. The state of California has a population of 39.5 Million. Context
  • NHL Stanley Cup(in Millions)
    • 2019- 5.3 M
    • 2018- 4.9 M
    • 2017- 4.7 M

I think you may be cherry picking your stats. I'm assuming you got these numbers from Wikipedia? How about Canadian viewership ratings? According to this source the 2017 playoffs reached 26 million viewers in Canada, and 24.6 million in 2018. I'm sure you can do the math to add it all up, but with US and Canada viewership combined, it surmounts the NBA and MLB. How about actual context?
  • NHL Stanley Cup(in Millions)
    • 2019- 5.3 M
    • 2018- 4.9 M
    • 2017- 4.7 M

I think you may be cherry picking your stats. I'm assuming you got these numbers from Wikipedia? How about Canadian viewership ratings? According to this source the 2017 playoffs reached 26 million viewers in Canada, and 24.6 million in 2018. I'm sure you can do the math to add it all up, but with US and Canada viewership combined, it surmounts the NBA and MLB. How about actual context?

I think you actually might be cherry picking here. "The entire playoff broadcast reached 24.6 million Canadians on Sportsnet and CBC, just slightly down from last year’s reach of 26 million." This is adding individual games together. The article you provided doesn't help the argument you are trying to make though. "The Stanley Cup Final between the Washington Capitals and the Vegas Golden Knights on Sportsnet and CBC took in an average audience of 2.7 million viewers, according to Numeris data provided by Sportsnet. So add that to my 2018 total and you are at 7.6 M. Still significantly lower than the NHLs counterparts.

More wikipedia numbers with Canadian specific numbers:
    The top 20 most watched broadcasts of all time:
    Number 8- 2011 SCF Boston vs Vancouver Game 7. 8.64 Million

Even that still doesnt come close to the NHLs counterparts
  • ieatstaples94
    18 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    NHL Stanley Cup(in Millions)
    • 2019- 5.3 M
    • 2018- 4.9 M
    • 2017- 4.7 M

I think you actually might be cherry picking here. "The entire playoff broadcast reached 24.6 million Canadians on Sportsnet and CBC, just slightly down from last year’s reach of 26 million." This is adding individual games together. The article you provided doesn't help the argument you are trying to make though. "The Stanley Cup Final between the Washington Capitals and the Vegas Golden Knights on Sportsnet and CBC took in an average audience of 2.7 million viewers, according to Numeris data provided by Sportsnet. So add that to my 2018 total and you are at 7.6 M. Still significantly lower than the NHLs counterparts.

More wikipedia numbers with Canadian specific numbers:
    The top 20 most watched broadcasts of all time:
    Number 8- 2011 SCF Boston vs Vancouver Game 7. 8.64 Million

Even that still doesnt come close to the NHLs counterparts

Yup, you're absolutely right. I misread the article and failed to look at the average viewership over the total for the playoffs. That's my bad!
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    629 posts Member
    edited June 2019

World of Chel. Threes. The new attribute system. Hockey bags, more customization, new drop-in system. All of that was reworked for 19. Yeah. It got just as much work attention as HUT it not more. HUT got more cards and new challenges and different synergies. Sure, no practice mode, but it's not the end of the world. They added more to EASHL than they did to HUT.

So putting EASHL into a new thing called World of Chel gets it more attention? Since the put EASHL into World of Chel along with the new lobby system, we’ve had more problems getting into games than ever before. This problem lasted the whole year and nothing was done about it. Now because EASHL doesn’t make any extra revenue for EA, it doesn’t hurt their revenue at all. Had HUT have any dressing room errors like EASHL did, it would be fixed in an instant.

Just because they added things like hockey bags I wouldn’t call it attention. It was a poorly thought idea of a way to unlock cosmetics. This hurt my club and many others that can’t unlock any more stuff because of max level. Some how EA didn’t notice this before launch nor care to fix the situation.

Arcade threes was already in NHL 18. They just added online functionality to it and it’s not an EASHL mode.

The attribute system for player classes is better, but I would like to more of a ability to tune my class to my liking. The only difference is the traits and you change the height and weight of your player. Not much of a difference to be honest.

Maybe they are putting more into EASHL. But what they’re adding hasn’t been helping the mode at all. It’s alienating the already small player base and adding more and more modes ain’t gonna do EASHL justice.

Just to add. I have not one care about the clothing as i mostly play club. So they can add thousands of more clothing options I won’t care.

Nobody asked customizations like they implemented nor were hockey bags or the "new attribute system". We asked for the ability to customize our players like in past games (legend cards), gameplay improvements, seperate tuners, practice room, otp lobbies, etc. To say EASHL received more focus is an inaccurate statement considering the main requests were ignored for cosmetics and gimmicks nobody wanted. On top of what everyone asked for, they should drop the CR nonsense and just show peoples dnf% instead, then reformat their leaderboards to represent how actual pro sports leaderboards reflect. Their customer base isnt large and the majority of people want to play a simulation not some arcade hockey version of NBA Jam.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

Nobody asked customizations like they implemented nor were hockey bags or the "new attribute system". We asked for the ability to customize our players like in past games (legend cards), gameplay improvements, seperate tuners, practice room, otp lobbies, etc. To say EASHL received more focus is an inaccurate statement considering the main requests were ignored for cosmetics and gimmicks nobody wanted. On top of what everyone asked for, they should drop the CR nonsense and just show peoples dnf% instead, then reformat their leaderboards to represent how actual pro sports leaderboards reflect. Their customer base isnt large and the majority of people want to play a simulation not some arcade hockey version of NBA Jam.

You're missing the point. It was stated that HUT was the main focus because it's where money is made and the rest of the game is ignored. I was pointing out that's blatantly not true due to the very high amount of work that went in to other modes besides HUT. Regardless of whether or not you liked it, building WoC was no trivial task. I have had very few problems with dressing room errors. Just like the rest of the Xbox crowd. It's mainly a PS4 issue. Unfortunate for sure. I'd hate to be in that situation. I can't imagine EA is very happy about it and has done all they can to get it fixed or fix it for 20.
  • Also skating got a massive, long overdue, highly requested overhaul in 19. Does anyone remember "TPS is a problem and needs to change" from the old forums? That thread might have been one of the largest of all time.

Saying "HUT is the main focus" is objectively wrong. Even franchise got some love for 19. I still think HUT is a gimmick and want no parts of it. But they have worked on EASHL extensively for 19.

Also
    Their customer base isnt large and the majority of people want to play a simulation not some arcade hockey version of NBA Jam.

That has to be hyperbole.