EA Forums - Banner

NHL® 20 FEATURES OVERVIEW

Replies

• Pretty sure this is my first ever post here and I have to say, I'm so disappointed.

There's a lot of posts here pretty much saying the same thing. It isn't rocket science to see how far removed the game is from the fan base, and as others have said, it really doesn't feel like you are part of their demographic.

My best guess is that the developers will me more than aware of all this and would have read posts of a similar nature a thousand times over. I suspect it's not their fault.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was some discord and some serious creative differences between the game's developers and EA Sports at a corporate level. As I say, it's hard to see how they can be so wide of the mark with the gap widening year upon year.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    Masontcarr wrote: »
    Still no Frostbite engine. Hopefully next year.

Please explain the benefits you expect from the 'Frostbite engine'

To be fair I would say EA does need to use a new engine for NHL series as the Ignite engine is probably tapped out on potential. While Frostbite is pretty much more of a beauty than performance thing it probably will come next-gen I feel. In a perfect world the sports titles would have an engine more designed for their needs and all would be great.

Sports titles just need a crisp performance engine over anything else. Rocket League is only on Unreal 3 and it's got amazing performance. Sadly we know the sports titles won't get the freedom that Star Wars is getting for their upcoming game.

It's just crazy how no one has been able to make a game engine to compete with Unreal Engine though

i hope NHL 21 has frostbite. and i hope it launches for the next gen Playstation and Xbox consoles.
  • Bwood_0128
    1 posts New member
    To me, Be A Pro has so much potential and year after year, it gets thrown to the side for some lame tuxedo jersey's and galaxy beanies. I'm sick of creating a guy, and having him thrown on to a club and told to play. It's mundane. Give some background. Allow the player to develop a personality. Have a story- a journey behind Be A Pro. Develop a rivalry with someone, talk with the media/other players. I hate comparing Be A Pro modes to other sport games, but MLB the Show has a great angle on their RTTS. You can create rivalries with opposing players. You get to hang out in the club house on the main menu. When you go on a losing streak, the manager talks to the team, and its an opportunity for double XP towards certain stats. And vice versa. You were able to take BP before the game. Christ man, let me hit a warm up before a game here and there.

All of this is just the tip of the iceberg, but it's little things like this that will make the Be A Pro experience much better. There is so much more to the game of hockey than creating a guy and choosing whether to play a full season with a club or jump right into the Memorial Cup. I know this might require taking some time away from thinking of new skate color combos, but EA can hit the nail on the head with Be A Pro, and they consistently blow it. Very unfortunate.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Maybe you aren't their target demographic anymore lol

EA doesn't know their target demographic.

• ExSnake01 wrote: »

You would think they would be targeting hockey fans, but NHL hockey fans (since the game title is "NHL 20"), but I think they're better off changing the name to "Arcade Pond Hockey 20". Then it's quite clear who they are targeting.
  • [quote="ExSnake01;c-2075249"][quote="B-Bunny;c-2073712"]Maybe you aren't their target demographic anymore lol[/quote]

[/quote]

They will definitely know their target demographic, it's just not necessarily the right one.
  • SpillGal
    336 posts Member
    mattnjon wrote: »
    They will definitely know their target demographic, it's just not necessarily the right one.
    I've been wondering who that might be.
    They skip E3 and instead presents the new game during NHL Awards, "to better target their audience".
    Then proudly announces Battle Royale...?

A hockey loving person with little to no interest in video games, except that burning desire for Battle Royales? I agree, not necessarily the right demographics.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    ExSnake01 wrote: »

Their target demographic might not be the fraction of the playerbase that visits these forums. Yet, they manage to make a lot of changes because of them.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    SpillGal wrote: »
    They skip E3 and instead presents the new game during NHL Awards, "to better target their audience".

A hockey loving person with little to no interest in video games, except that burning desire for Battle Royales? I agree, not necessarily the right demographics.

Announcing a hockey game at a hockey event when they eyes of the hockey world are on it seems like a pretty good time to announce a new hockey game. They are going to highlight the new features instead of go in to the stuff the hardcore players want. They have like 90 seconds to impress people and hopefully attract new players to the game. You're all acting like they showed everything that's coming in that trailer. Sheesh. Give it some time. This happens every year. Wait for the beta. Then complain enough to get it changed, and then complain about how the beta was great. Then they change it back to the beta and you'll still complain. What would this community do without something to complain about?
  • flyextacy
    376 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

Announcing a hockey game at a hockey event when they eyes of the hockey world are on it seems like a pretty good time to announce a new hockey game. They are going to highlight the new features instead of go in to the stuff the hardcore players want. They have like 90 seconds to impress people and hopefully attract new players to the game. You're all acting like they showed everything that's coming in that trailer. Sheesh. Give it some time. This happens every year. Wait for the beta. Then complain enough to get it changed, and then complain about how the beta was great. Then they change it back to the beta and you'll still complain. What would this community do without something to complain about?

I actually tried to find numbers for how many people tuned into the nhl awards versus the attendees and coverage for e3 and couldnt find real numbers. I'd assume that e3 reaches more people then the nhl awards so if they are looking for new customers the better move would be to show it to gamers, not just people who watch a hockey awards program.
  • mattnjon
    12 posts Member
    [quote="Sinbin;c-2075360"]

Announcing a hockey game at a hockey event when they eyes of the hockey world are on it seems like a pretty good time to announce a new hockey game. They are going to highlight the new features instead of go in to the stuff the hardcore players want. They have like 90 seconds to impress people and hopefully attract new players to the game. You're all acting like they showed everything that's coming in that trailer. Sheesh. Give it some time. This happens every year. Wait for the beta. Then complain enough to get it changed, and then complain about how the beta was great. Then they change it back to the beta and you'll still complain. What would this community do without something to complain about?[/quote]

My comment was reflecting on the direction of the NHL series over the last five or six years, not the recent release info - I think that's more than long enough to call out the general shortcomings of the series.
  • Offline legends guys, people were complaining about it and had every single right to. Are we going to get these guys in the offline rosters so we can move them around on different teams to play in franchise mode? Legends were advertised highly for 19. I need t know what I’m getting.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    flyextacy wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »

I actually tried to find numbers for how many people tuned into the nhl awards versus the attendees and coverage for e3 and couldnt find real numbers. I'd assume that e3 reaches more people then the nhl awards so if they are looking for new customers the better move would be to show it to gamers, not just people who watch a hockey awards program.

True. Good point. The game would get a lot of attention from foot traffic, but I can definitely see the appeal with using the NHL awards as a vehicle for announcing the game.
  • Hardrock28
    1 posts New member
    I actually really enjoyed the gameplay and feel of 19 and I've been playing NHL since 1993...every year. With that said the biggest gripe I have is the move to CHEL vs drop in EASHL. I'm older and don't have the time or ability to join a club and schedule games with people. For years I could drop into a lobby when I felt like it, pair up with people and play 6 vs 6. Yeah sometimes it would suck but more often than not we'd have a good game. That still happens with CHEL but the issue is I literally cannot play an NHL game in NHL19 in drop in. Instead you play a silent pond hockey game with no real teams, announcers, etc. In my opinion that's a major fail. I can play pond hockey on my own...what I can't do is play in the NHL which is why I play the game to begin with. I wish EA would restore drop in EASHL.
  • jjbyrd04
    23 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't care what is done, all I know is I've been complaining about franchise mode for years because there are Preseason and Post-Trade-Deadline roster limits. For the love of something something can we implement no roster limits during preseason and post trade deadline?......Please? How hard is it to change the number from 23 to 50?

[Edited for profanity]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • Hardrock28 wrote: »
    I actually really enjoyed the gameplay and feel of 19 and I've been playing NHL since 1993...every year. With that said the biggest gripe I have is the move to CHEL vs drop in EASHL. I'm older and don't have the time or ability to join a club and schedule games with people. For years I could drop into a lobby when I felt like it, pair up with people and play 6 vs 6. Yeah sometimes it would suck but more often than not we'd have a good game. That still happens with CHEL but the issue is I literally cannot play an NHL game in NHL19 in drop in. Instead you play a silent pond hockey game with no real teams, announcers, etc. In my opinion that's a major fail. I can play pond hockey on my own...what I can't do is play in the NHL which is why I play the game to begin with. I wish EA would restore drop in EASHL.

Agreed 100%. Forcing us in to pond hockey for drop-ins was a brutal choice.

Totally agree. Did anyone really ask for pond hockey? It's suppose to be an NHL game.

Totally agree. Did anyone really ask for pond hockey? It's suppose to be an NHL game.

I think it was a genuine attempt to bring in new players and 'refresh' the same-old OTP we've seen for years. It can also be seen as an attempt to give some differentiation between Drop-Ins and EASHL Matches.

It was definitely a refreshing change, but playing 'outdoors' should've been an option rather than mandatory.
  • savatagion24
    137 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Hardrock28 wrote: »

I think it was a genuine attempt to bring in new players and 'refresh' the same-old OTP we've seen for years. It can also be seen as an attempt to give some differentiation between Drop-Ins and EASHL Matches.

It was definitely a refreshing change, but playing 'outdoors' should've been an option rather than mandatory.

Explain how this boring, silent, clown costume, pond version of drop-ins somehow brought more players? That's ridiculous. If anything, it decreased the players. And how was it refreshing in any way? It was/is a joke.

I didn't pay for "Refreshing Pond Hockey". I paid for "NHL 19". That's "NHL", "NHL", "NHL".
  • KidShowtime1867
    1672 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Explain how this boring, silent, clown costume, pond version of drop-ins somehow brought more players?

Where did I say that? I said "it was an attempt to bring in new players."
    If anything, it decreased the players.

oh? Although there's no question the population of online modes has declined, can you point to any evidence that the decline was directly related to OTP being set outside as opposed to indoors?
    And how was it refreshing in any way? It was/is a joke.

It was a refreshing change. The lack of option to play elsewhere made it stale.

I don't consider it a 'joke' - but I do consider the absence of any ability to change the venue for an OTP game a huge oversight.