EA Forums - Banner

Every year the same thing happens

Prev1
Every year I’m like “this is it, this is gonna be the one” and man, I’m let down every single time, why when you poke check the player aims for the skates? Why isn’t he smart enough to aim for THE PUCK?! The Defensive AI is still god awful, they can’t transition with the play at all, if you turn the puck off it takes them so long to recognize the play is going back the other way, also, why is it when you protect the puck you become a god? I was controlling Chara and the opponent was Point and I just bounce off him, it’s the same thing year after year, I basically buy the game now to play franchise mode because the gameplay is so far gone from what it used to be on the PS3/360 era, too frustrating.

Replies

• Man the whole poke check thing infuriates me. They literally designed the poke to aim at the skates. Makes no sense whatsoever. It should be aimed at the puck and if my stick goes through his skates than thats a trip. Devs have no idea what theyre doing.
  • Man I just got a penalty literally just then and me and my brother just burst out laughing because it was so idiotic, poked him a mile away and he dove in the opposite direction I poked him no kidding lol it’s so messed up, same moves work for penalty shots, backhand, forehand backhand always works.
  • Not trying to insult anyone here but I aim my pokes and have zero issues poking. What am I missing. I do agree that if you don't aim the default location may in fact be the skates but tell me where I am wrong here. Been having great success as poke is more viable then it was last year in this beta.
  • Poke check is definitely more viable but theres still some head scratching trips. Just dont revert to 19's settings. People are actually being punished for not moving the puck and cutting in now.
  • I find it difficult to aim my poke check and keep up with the play
  • phil7488 wrote: »
    Poke check is definitely more viable but theres still some head scratching trips. Just dont revert to 19's settings. People are actually being punished for not moving the puck and cutting in now.

I remember in the 19 Beta it was great that you actually had to cycle the puck and were rewarded for doing so, but Mr DekeDangleSnipeCelly complained that they couldn't weave through five skaters and show off their highlight-reel goals on Twitch, so they made the adjustment back to what it was in the past and wrecked the game again.

I'm fully expecting to see NHL 20 become NHL 16.5 at some point before the regular season actually begins.
    Poke check is definitely more viable but theres still some head scratching trips. Just dont revert to 19's settings. People are actually being punished for not moving the puck and cutting in now.

I remember in the 19 Beta it was great that you actually had to cycle the puck and were rewarded for doing so, but Mr DekeDangleSnipeCelly complained that they couldn't weave through five skaters and show off their highlight-reel goals on Twitch, so they made the adjustment back to what it was in the past and wrecked the game again.

I'm fully expecting to see NHL 20 become NHL 16.5 at some point before the regular season actually begins.

Sir you could not be more on point
  • G1ll1es
    38 posts Member
    Unless you are playing 6's with mature players.. Ea doesnt know how to make a good nhl game. Lol.
  • G1ll1es
    38 posts Member
    They pump out product after product of virtually the exact same product that we all hope is going to be ground breaking but yet we buy it every year signifying to ea.. Hey look.. We arent going to get rich off ea hockey and we are sustaining income so why change it?...
  • G1ll1es
    38 posts Member
    The change from nhl 15 and nhl 20 is literally miniscule... Yet they charge the exact same price that gta5 was and there still isnt a sequel to gta5 and theres been how many nhls since... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20... You think wed get a better product but... Hey what do I know..
  • Me and my friends were talking last night on how this really is a $80 update, look at what fortnite does, a new season all free, the whole game basically changes, NHL will tweak the gameplay, add in some Cinematics and update the roster and it cost us an arm and a leg, this honestly has been the same core game this entire console generation, with little “fixes” here and there, my brother who’s a die hard chel fan even said last night that this beta is 19 with an update and it really is.
  • They really just need to scrap this engine and start fresh next generation I think.
  • walsh8755 wrote: »
    They really just need to scrap this engine and start fresh next generation I think.

They had better start on it now, like double time then. Remember how they skipped an entire year because of the new hardware releasing in November, and then gave us a half of a steamy pile called NHL 15.

This is assuming that 2020 is THE YEAR for the new hardware.
  • Flick shots from the corner for rebounds in front, puck ragging, exploits and just utter nonsense. The game makes it so difficult to take the puck away from these idiots that just skate around with the puck that games just become so boring. Really thinking of passing on this one
  • Instead of just pressing the poke check button. Hold it and use your right stick to angle where you want it to go... Works a lot better that way. It also forces the other player to either pass or deke.

Unfortunately this did happen. I wish we could see what the exact settings are that they are using for the beta so that we can use them offline for our offline games. That would be pretty slick.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1307 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    The difference between NHL19 beta and this beta is that we were pretty excited after 19 beta, this time it's more like meh, no expectation or excitement after trying this out.

The core is the same, only some minor tweaks in the gameplay, adding a few animations isn't enough to differentiate it from 19, and the presentation is not enough to get me excited (some of it is downright stupid), I couldn't care less about the elimination modes or the customization gear. So what's left?

Sell it for 25 dollars, and I will buy it I guess?
  • twoorb
    52 posts Member
    walsh8755 wrote: »
    They really just need to scrap this engine and start fresh next generation I think.

They had better start on it now, like double time then. Remember how they skipped an entire year because of the new hardware releasing in November, and then gave us a half of a steamy pile called NHL 15.

This is assuming that 2020 is THE YEAR for the new hardware.

Good points. I fully expect that NHL won't go next-gen until 2021.
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    436 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    walsh8755 wrote: »
    Every year I’m like “this is it, this is gonna be the one” and man, I’m let down every single time, why when you poke check the player aims for the skates? Why isn’t he smart enough to aim for THE PUCK?! The Defensive AI is still god awful, they can’t transition with the play at all, if you turn the puck off it takes them so long to recognize the play is going back the other way, also, why is it when you protect the puck you become a god? I was controlling Chara and the opponent was Point and I just bounce off him, it’s the same thing year after year, I basically buy the game now to play franchise mode because the gameplay is so far gone from what it used to be on the PS3/360 era, too frustrating.

@NHLDev told me the poke check aims for the puck, not the feet. I thought it went to the feet too, I guess when the player has the puck near his feet it looks like the feet are the target.

It never used to aim for the puck, it used to aim the way you faced, using the left stick. They should go back to this. There will be way less penalties and frustration, and this whole poke check/tripping controversy would be put to bed. You should still be able to control the poke check with the right stick, but the initial poke by default should aim where your player is facing/skating.
  • Dixonyu
    675 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    I hate that handcuffed feeling ... Where you are doing everything right in the faceoff circle , but you lose every face off, you can't stick lift , can't retain the puck, can't pick up the puck, yet your opponent is doing everything wrong and the game is just blessing him left right and centre, pucks are going through your players and goalie ... And this is still a thing