EA Forums - Banner

James Cybulski is terrible

The play by play commentary sounds so unnatural. James is always so jacked for every situation. This was a very poor choice and execution. Ray Ferraro is great as always.

Replies

• He is wayy better than Doc Emriyk. This presentation is so much better than stale old NBC, and I think Doc Emriyk was prob the worst play by play out of any sports titles ever. Everything better other than the god awful scoreclock at the bottom of the screen that is massive even on "small" and it starts flickering during PPs. Why have the scoreclock at the bottom of the screen? At least give us an option to put it back at the top like it is for every other sports game or sports on TV.
  • I've only watched streams and my buddy agrees this guy is over the top. When Ferraro speaks it's so professional but when the play by play goes it sounds like hes yelling at you.
  • I enjoyed the commentary. It was refreshing over the old combo in the booth. Doc and Eddy O didn't translate well to the game. They're better in real life than they were in the game. I find the commentary this year pretty good. Especially considering this is the first year that they've been recording lines with EA.
  • Follisimo
    1029 posts Member
    I personally love the guy on commentary. We asked for someone that sounds more than monotone and we got it.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1321 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    He sounds like Kermit the Frog when excited... :p

tenor.gif

Obviously the commentary is not done yet, because they keep calling players with wrong names?

Actually, I'd pay good money to have Kermit and Fozzie the Bear doing the commentary....
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

tenor.gif

Obviously the commentary is not done yet, because they keep calling players with wrong names?

Actually, I'd pay good money to have Kermit and Fozzie the Bear doing the commentary....

Good one Sgt
  • BruinsHockey08
    1136 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

That would be kinda comical if nothing else. But I couldn't do a whole year of Kermit. We might have to mix it up a bit. Maybe Big Bird can do a game or two.

Big Bird would put Drake to shame. I mean just look at this, the guy is a savage.

2yie4t64xdpo.png

All jokes aside, I don't mind this duo, at least not yet.
  • reengerg
    126 posts Member
    EA gets rid of one of the best in the business, doc emerick, for this mess. Probably didn’t want to pay doc and got this guy cheap
  • reengerg wrote: »
    EA gets rid of one of the best in the business, doc emerick, for this mess. Probably didn’t want to pay doc and got this guy cheap

From https://ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/news/broadcast-and-presentation-overhaul

We’ve achieved this chemistry by dramatically increasing our time in the recording booth. With Cybulski and Ferraro based just minutes away from EA Vancouver, they are able to develop their tone together weekly in the studio. In NHL 19, we could only get about 30 hours of session time with our previous commentary team. This year, we spent over ten times that in the booth to get the quantity and quality of commentary that sets a new foundation for years to come.

So it sounds like they went with something that's more flexible with everyone involved. And opens the possibility to new audio being added year round as well.

Or you know... whatever trumped up theory you can come up with.
  • twoorb
    52 posts Member
    The new play by play guy needs to calm down.
    Every single play and occurrence in the game isn't "game 7 of the SC final, OMG!!!" level exciting.

I agree with the comments about how it sounds like he's shouting at you.

If it doesn't change, that will be an "instant turn it off" feature for many.
  • Amusing they spent 10 times as many hours on commentary as doc and Eddie but it’s still substandard
  • Follisimo
    1029 posts Member
    twoorb wrote: »
    Every single play and occurrence in the game isn't "game 7 of the SC final, OMG!!!" level exciting.

Well be prepared to turn it off then because this build is like 2 months old and all that time it took to make those lines and put them into the game isn't going to change before launch.

And this is by far the best play by play work the series has EVER seen. I rather have exciting than monotone

• twoorb
    52 posts Member
    Follisimo wrote: »

Well be prepared to turn it off then because this build is like 2 months old and all that time it took to make those lines and put them into the game isn't going to change before launch.

And this is by far the best play by play work the series has EVER seen. I rather have exciting than monotone

How can anything be “exciting” if all of the commentary is at level 10 excitement essentially always?
  • Follisimo
    1029 posts Member
    Follisimo wrote: »

How can anything be “exciting” if all of the commentary is at level 10 excitement essentially always?

Doc range 2 to 5 in normal to excitement in voice. New guy is 9 to 10 in normal to excitement in voice.

Maybe next year they can get him to tone it down a tiny bit for normal play and find that around 6 to 7 mark and that level 10 for goals, big saves, and big hits.

I'm just saying this guy is way better than Doc's monotone put me to sleep talk.

• Tonysl79
    572 posts Member
    Not even a minute into the game skating up the ice from your zone you’d think there was a minute to go in overtime how excited he gets. Tone it down a little a pass across the blue line shouldn’t be so exciting.
  • sithteencam
    36 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    As primarily an offline player (Franchise mode, full 20 minutes on True Broadcast), I find this new play-by-play guy to be absolutely awful. I have to concur with most of the above remarks in that he is way, way, way to over-the-top with everything he says. He even screams, "Offside!"

There has to be a difference in levels of excitement. With Doc and Eddie, and even Clement and Thorne from the old gen games, there was a difference between calling the first period of a pre-season game and the closing seconds of Game 7 of the Cup Final. I feel like I'm playing Gretzky's 3D Hockey on the N64 and not a simulation of an actual NHL game.

I understand the escalated excitement in modes like Ones and Threes because they are arcade-style modes to begin with, but it just can't be used in simulation modes unless the game situation calls for it.
    Post edited by sithteencam on
  • twoorb
    52 posts Member
    I don't understand anyone defending this new commentary.
    He's shouting and over excited about seemingly "everything".

It's bad. It's wrong. It's just not good at all.