EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Every year the same thing happens

2Next

Replies

• Dixonyu
    649 posts Member
    walsh8755 wrote: »
    Every year I’m like “this is it, this is gonna be the one” and man, I’m let down every single time, why when you poke check the player aims for the skates? Why isn’t he smart enough to aim for THE PUCK?! The Defensive AI is still god awful, they can’t transition with the play at all, if you turn the puck off it takes them so long to recognize the play is going back the other way, also, why is it when you protect the puck you become a god? I was controlling Chara and the opponent was Point and I just bounce off him, it’s the same thing year after year, I basically buy the game now to play franchise mode because the gameplay is so far gone from what it used to be on the PS3/360 era, too frustrating.

@NHLDev told me the poke check aims for the puck, not the feet. I thought it went to the feet too, I guess when the player has the puck near his feet it looks like the feet are the target.

It never used to aim for the puck, it used to aim the way you faced, using the left stick. They should go back to this. There will be way less penalties and frustration, and this whole poke check/tripping controversy would be put to bed. You should still be able to control the poke check with the right stick, but the initial poke by default should aim where your player is facing/skating.

The system they have works great ... But I assume not alot of people watched the video Ben Ross, aka @NHLDev released.

If you aim your right skill stick where you want to poke , then press and hold the defensive stick button , the poke goes where you want it to every time ... You just have to make sure you aren't gonna sweep your checks legs , why players have to sweep their stick instead of jab , is beyond me , but that's the animation ...
  • Dixonyu wrote: »
    Every year I’m like “this is it, this is gonna be the one” and man, I’m let down every single time, why when you poke check the player aims for the skates? Why isn’t he smart enough to aim for THE PUCK?! The Defensive AI is still god awful, they can’t transition with the play at all, if you turn the puck off it takes them so long to recognize the play is going back the other way, also, why is it when you protect the puck you become a god? I was controlling Chara and the opponent was Point and I just bounce off him, it’s the same thing year after year, I basically buy the game now to play franchise mode because the gameplay is so far gone from what it used to be on the PS3/360 era, too frustrating.

@NHLDev told me the poke check aims for the puck, not the feet. I thought it went to the feet too, I guess when the player has the puck near his feet it looks like the feet are the target.

It never used to aim for the puck, it used to aim the way you faced, using the left stick. They should go back to this. There will be way less penalties and frustration, and this whole poke check/tripping controversy would be put to bed. You should still be able to control the poke check with the right stick, but the initial poke by default should aim where your player is facing/skating.

The system they have works great ... But I assume not alot of people watched the video Ben Ross, aka @NHLDev released.

If you aim your right skill stick where you want to poke , then press and hold the defensive stick button , the poke goes where you want it to every time ... You just have to make sure you aren't gonna sweep your checks legs , why players have to sweep their stick instead of jab , is beyond me , but that's the animation ...

You have link to that video?
  • I just find it crazy that the Devs sit in their office and play against each other and don’t see the problems with the engine and physics of this game.
  • WainGretSki
    2989 posts Member
    edited July 29
    I just find it crazy that the Devs sit in their office and play against each other and don’t see the problems with the engine and physics of this game.

All forwards want to score. All D men want to shut every play down. All goalies want to save every shot, or close to it.

The majority that play this game are forwards. Where I find the game to be lacking the most, is the balance of it all. Every year, every console generation just seems to have the same mentality and vision behind it.

If forwards want to score that bad, then it's up to them to work for it and deserve it. This is where this series has been lacking the most. It doesn't take huge effort to be effective as a forward, but my God does it take effort to be a very effective D man. It's always juggling things around that in the end, it's always the same story. Time to shake things up and get creative and innovative. This game is so close to being dead to me.

Or you can put it back like it was, no one asked for this. I do this now yes but it is less accurate and harder to do. Making this small change will eliminate the penalty complains literally overnight. I hate how EA changes the controller buttons every few years forcing us to conform and not allowing us to use the previous controls that we got so used to.
  • Dixonyu
    649 posts Member
    Dixonyu wrote: »

Or you can put it back like it was, no one asked for this. I do this now yes but it is less accurate and harder to do. Making this small change will eliminate the penalty complains literally overnight. I hate how EA changes the controller buttons every few years forcing us to conform and not allowing us to use the previous controls that we got so used to.

No ... This works just fine, the issue would again, be the animation as the player has to sweep their stick instead of being able to jab, or twist their wrist to pull the stick in as they swept their arm around ...

And whoever wants the video I only seen it on NHL 19 the hut video sections, this is like the only time they've used their in game stuff to post something constructive , and not just buy another pack message ...

No ... This works just fine, the issue would again, be the animation as the player has to sweep their stick instead of being able to jab, or twist their wrist to pull the stick in as they swept their arm around ...

And whoever wants the video I only seen it on NHL 19 the hut video sections, this is like the only time they've used their in game stuff to post something constructive , and not just buy another pack message ...

SMH no lol I never use that and still get unrealistic tripping penalties without sweeping.
  • Dixonyu
    649 posts Member

SMH no lol I never use that and still get unrealistic tripping penalties without sweeping.

Stop poking from behind then ...

Stop poking from behind then ...

I don't dude lol If I go for a poke in good position and the opponent turns away, my stick will follow in the direction of the puck and contact their legs. If it just aimed where I was facing it would miss the puck and NOT be a penalty. In real hockey if you do a quick poke check where the puck is, if the player turns, then you miss the poke. Your stick doesn't magically follow the puck like a magnet and run into his feet. It's dumbbbbb

• The biggest thing with the poke check isn't even the functionality, it's the garbage animations that have never been improved. Poke check happens, then the puck carrier just stumbles like they hit a rut in the ice and it takes them too long to recover. Or they dive into the ice.

The shotblocking mechanics are also trash. NHL 2K10 had better graphics than NHL 19 in that respect.
  • I also get tired of not having the tools to truly defend against someone that wants to go coast to coast every time with an 80 OVR defenseman and don't even know there's a dump in button, or the players that want to skate around the faceoff circles in the offensive zone until the d-men finally overpursue. That's not how things go in real hockey. The opportunities come from cycling the puck, working the corners, passing it around the zone.

And the other thing on this topic that drives me nuts is how unresponsive the pin against the boards is. Doesn't react quick enough most times in NHL, 25% of the time results in a holding penalty.
  • The camp of "just don't do it and you won't get a penalty" doesn't seem to understand that if 50+% of the users of this game think it's an issue, it's an issue.
  • Dixonyu
    649 posts Member
    The camp of "just don't do it and you won't get a penalty" doesn't seem to understand that if 50+% of the users of this game think it's an issue, it's an issue.

Lol avoiding a game mechanic isn't a solution... If you're hitting someone's feet then you're too close to them.
  • Maybe this is EAs plan?! Last year everyone loved the Beta and when the full game released everyone hated it, maybe it’ll be the other way around this year!? Lol hopeful thinking
  • Dixonyu
    649 posts Member
    Maybe this is EAs plan?! Last year everyone loved the Beta and when the full game released everyone hated it, maybe it’ll be the other way around this year!? Lol hopeful thinking

The beta sucked ... Pokes were instant penalties and stick lifts were ridiculous... 1.2 was the better version .
    Maybe this is EAs plan?! Last year everyone loved the Beta and when the full game released everyone hated it, maybe it’ll be the other way around this year!? Lol hopeful thinking

The beta sucked ... Pokes were instant penalties and stick lifts were ridiculous... 1.2 was the better version .

Yes pokes and lifts were a little ridiculous, but the overall play on the ice and the feel of the game was much better in the beta. People were moving and cycling the puck, not hogging and forcing their way around the ice all game long. Goalies were making reasonable saves and not getting cheesed so easily, especially short side.

Yes pokes and lifts were a little ridiculous, but the overall play on the ice and the feel of the game was much better in the beta. People were moving and cycling the puck, not hogging and forcing their way around the ice all game long. Goalies were making reasonable saves and not getting cheesed so easily, especially short side.

Incidental bumping someone off the puck was nerfed which was nice, but hits were nerfed too ugh
  • xxshmoobsxx
    3 posts New member
    I get that everyone has complained about the poke check but if you play 3s in chel your forced to give the opposing team a penalty shot and if u play in higher divs there is rarely penalties based on the fact that you have to adjust your play to avoid those gamechanging penalty shots tbh it all comes down to the angle u poke at so is use sparingly BUT if u play this game alot you will understand how important hitting is i basically tap the hit button when im close to my opponent and keep tapping hit until i bounce him off the puck im not talking huge hits im talking almost little crosscheck over n over try this instead of trying to spam pokecheck all u gotta do is hit up on your right stick when close for little crosscheck nudges
  • jiajji
    329 posts Member
    There are rarely penalties because people know to not r1 when their opponents are l2.

Dumbest thing in this game, cant understand why they won't fix it