EA Forums - Banner

I take it back......

Replies

• VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    L2 abuse fix did not give me the impression it works as intended. Players are just doing in and out 90 degree pivots better than an Olympic figure skater while maintaining control of a puck no less...

I watched a streamer abuse the heck out of this. If the guy turns his back and is back skating with speed he needs to instantly lose the puck when getting jarred.

Having tree trunk legs like Crosby and planting those legs in the corner is one sting but brushing off collisions while backdating is nowhere near where it should be.

@KidShowtime1867 I'm not saying it is an awful game, it is far from it, definitely an improvement over 19 ... but not a big enough improvement to warrant a $90 CDN purchase. Likely going to be a Black Friday deal for me.

Yea no kidding. Players jerking around left and right and pivoting like table-top hockey. I think the pivot speed needs to be slowed down a bit and yes, agility needs to take a nose dive while pivoting. You can't brace for impact while dipsy-doodling sideways.

The solution is simple, and I found it playing a 10 year old game (NHL 2K8); you just CAN'T skate backwards while skating forward into the zone. If you hold LT (back skate) while moving forward into the offensive zone it does NOTHING!

Only once you get into the offensive zone, does it work. And then it only allows you to face the play, not skate backwards.

Such a simple fix. And yet...

But like @Taste-D-Rainbow said, it's not that the BETA was horrible. It's that the vibe you get from the gameplay is just more NHL 19, or rather what NHL 19 should've been with an extra patch to fix some of the issues. Goalies are for the most part the SAME. Offense is the same. Defense is the same... AI is the same (still dumb). The only thing that's new are some shooting animations. Some goalie animations. And the announcers for Drop-in games.

This is all stuff that could've been added through a 2 GB patch last year.... Ok, maybe 4 GB.

I do not agree with that fix. What if I want to backskate in my zone, or or near center ice to change my angle on my passing lane? I want that option.

The solution isn't to prevent doing things. It is putting logical limitations when you do them. In this case, while transitioning from back to front or vice versa, your agility should hit the floor and make you incredibly open to physical contact. Even the smallest and lightest Sniper should be able to mow you down while pivoting like that. It should not under any circumstance allow you to shrug off body checks as it currently does. I don't get why it isn't that simple of a fix.

While you are pirouetting, you have 0 bracing for impact and are at your most vulnerable to physical play. Simple.

I think you misunderstood: you can't go BACKWARDS while going TOWARDS the offensive zone. But if you want to skate back into your DEFENSIVE zone, you can.

In other words, if I'm skating towards the offensive zone and press or hold LT, nothing happens. But if I want to say, create some distance between the defenders closing the gap on me in the neutral zone, I can hold back towards my zone (or sideways at worst) + LT and initiate a c-cut that makes me skate backwards.

Make sense?
  • Oslik1000
    455 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    L2 abuse fix did not give me the impression it works as intended. Players are just doing in and out 90 degree pivots better than an Olympic figure skater while maintaining control of a puck no less...

I watched a streamer abuse the heck out of this. If the guy turns his back and is back skating with speed he needs to instantly lose the puck when getting jarred.

Having tree trunk legs like Crosby and planting those legs in the corner is one sting but brushing off collisions while backdating is nowhere near where it should be.

@KidShowtime1867 I'm not saying it is an awful game, it is far from it, definitely an improvement over 19 ... but not a big enough improvement to warrant a $90 CDN purchase. Likely going to be a Black Friday deal for me.

Yea no kidding. Players jerking around left and right and pivoting like table-top hockey. I think the pivot speed needs to be slowed down a bit and yes, agility needs to take a nose dive while pivoting. You can't brace for impact while dipsy-doodling sideways.

The solution is simple, and I found it playing a 10 year old game (NHL 2K8); you just CAN'T skate backwards while skating forward into the zone. If you hold LT (back skate) while moving forward into the offensive zone it does NOTHING!

Only once you get into the offensive zone, does it work. And then it only allows you to face the play, not skate backwards.

But like @Taste-D-Rainbow said, it's not that the BETA was horrible. It's that the vibe you get from the gameplay is just more NHL 19, or rather what NHL 19 should've been with an extra patch to fix some of the issues. Goalies are for the most part the SAME. Offense is the same. Defense is the same... AI is the same (still dumb). The only thing that's new are some shooting animations. Some goalie animations. And the announcers for Drop-in games.

This is all stuff that could've been added through a 2 GB patch last year.... Ok, maybe 4 GB.

Right. Absolutely right.
    I do not understand why EA still is using the old scheme for hype.
    The nhl20 is absolutely the same as nhl19 you can not see more than 1 different: shooter is more do kneeing if shoot :) it looks so repetitive. How many times is shooter on his knee in one real game? There is no random effect? The same as goalie do block the shot with his stick. It looks so repetitive again. The same as face-off, so many years, e.t.c.
    I do not understand why EA still is using good-out new-in sell game scheme. Why not add only? For example: new scoreboard small/medium/big/left corner/right corner/wide/only time/opacity/color size is not optionable? WHY???
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

I do not agree with that fix. What if I want to backskate in my zone, or or near center ice to change my angle on my passing lane? I want that option.

The solution isn't to prevent doing things. It is putting logical limitations when you do them. In this case, while transitioning from back to front or vice versa, your agility should hit the floor and make you incredibly open to physical contact. Even the smallest and lightest Sniper should be able to mow you down while pivoting like that. It should not under any circumstance allow you to shrug off body checks as it currently does. I don't get why it isn't that simple of a fix.

While you are pirouetting, you have 0 bracing for impact and are at your most vulnerable to physical play. Simple.

Because it is not real, understand?

I saw so many players how doing play hockey game. Youtubers called.
    I have a big smile if anybody want do backskate in own zone in real. What do you think you can do with puck in this time? Nothing absolutely nothing.

I have a second big smile because EAdev want do make a simulation of hockey with so childish things. It will not be functional never.
  • I remember last year people loved the beta then someone told them to make changes and it got worse. This year I think most would subscribe the beta as average at best to nothing special. The direction of the game is confusing because it seems the game is at a tug-o-war with itself. It just isn't sure where to go. It is pulling in several different direction but it still isn't working for most people. Very frustrating.

I think you misunderstood: you can't go BACKWARDS while going TOWARDS the offensive zone. But if you want to skate back into your DEFENSIVE zone, you can.

In other words, if I'm skating towards the offensive zone and press or hold LT, nothing happens. But if I want to say, create some distance between the defenders closing the gap on me in the neutral zone, I can hold back towards my zone (or sideways at worst) + LT and initiate a c-cut that makes me skate backwards.

Make sense?

It makes sense, but it's still not a good solution.

You're proposing removing the ability to skate backwards while entering the zone - thus artificially removing the ability to do something that is 100% within the rules of the game and 100% within the rules of physics.

EA has made the appropriate changes IMO: They are slowing down the backskate while holding the puck and removing some agility in the process.

IMO, if you still don't understand how to defend someone skating backwards in to the zone, it's your own fault for letting it happen. It's 100% defendable.

Make sense?

You're proposing removing the ability to skate backwards while entering the zone - thus artificially removing the ability to do something that is 100% within the rules of the game and 100% within the rules of physics.

EA has made the appropriate changes IMO: They are slowing down the backskate while holding the puck and removing some agility in the process.

IMO, if you still don't understand how to defend someone skating backwards in to the zone, it's your own fault for letting it happen. It's 100% defendable.

It is not fault. It is choice. I will not do play against cheaters. LT backskate with puck on the stick is the same cheat as wraparound goal from last decade. It is the absolutely the same. There is oportunity for non-gamers. For cheaters only. Non serious play if EA will not cut this nonsense from the hockey game.
  • I played in the cs qualifier last night up 5-0 going into third on 23 shots. I put 13 shots on net in 3rd 0 goals same shots as first two periods. End up in OT with them scoring 5 on 6 shots in the third. 3 goals from the wall above the face off circles two others were own goals from defenders dragging puck back into my goalie. In OT I attempt to cross crease pass hits goalies knee and goes in I win 6-5. While I’m not complaining about the win it’s the inconsistency of play specifically AI play game to game or even in game that is frustrating.
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »

Make sense?

It is not fault. It is choice. I will not do play against cheaters. LT backskate with puck on the stick is the same cheat as wraparound goal from last decade. It is the absolutely the same. There is oportunity for non-gamers. For cheaters only. Non serious play if EA will not cut this nonsense from the hockey game.

So you want a fundamental element of hockey to be nullified in the name of “real hockey”?

The sim crowd fumbles in to this conundrum often - “we want realism!” - “that’s too much realism!”

• VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Whether skating backwards into the offensive zone falls in the realm of "possibilities" within the game's rules or physics is irrelevant. You will never, EVER see an NHL player crossing the neutral zone and coming into the offensive zone skating with his back to the defenders WHILE holding the puck.

Ever. That's first of all.

Second; It's a glitch. It's an exploit. And people do it in the game because it's a sure fire way to move unscathed through the zone while not losing the puck. Every other competitive game, when there's an exploit or a glitch, the developers REMOVE it from the game. Gun is too powerful or unfair in Fortinite? Devs remove it or nerf it to hell so that it might as well BE removed. Roll Shotty was too powerful in Gears Multiplayer? Devs removed the ability to shoot with a shotgun out of a roll. Drivers cutting corners to lower their lap times in F1? Devs patch in a penalty system that invalidates their lap times if they cut corners too much.

What does EA do about scoring exploits? Not only to they allow those exploits to continue existing in the game, they PROMOTE them by NOT removing them.

I mean, I get it if it's a mode like NBA Jam, where it's arcadey and you'd wanna see some razzle-dazzle shennanigans because it's just for fun. But HUT, VS and EASHL? That stuff has no place in competitive play.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1291 posts Member
    Wasn't it the case that EA at large wasn't really aware of the L2/LT backskate exploit and how bad it is, until they had the tournament with the best players (aka glitchers) showing them how it's done?

I think whoever is calling the shots with this game is so out of touch as regards to us the game fans and the gameplay, that they have no idea what they are doing, not really. I don't know if it's the lead producer (Rammer?) or someone higher up who calls the shots.

But this game is developed in all the wrong areas, and serious issues are ignored for too long - out of ignorance or plain indifference? Just look at the areas which are added to the game, it's threes, ones, Pro-AM, eliminator, drop in gear, gear in general etc. What's suffering is gameplay and the 'true' NHL modes like franchise (GM connected?) etc.

Good gameplay should be priority no. 1. The rest come way, way behind it.
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »

Make sense?

So you want a fundamental element of hockey to be nullified in the name of “real hockey”?

The sim crowd fumbles in to this conundrum often - “we want realism!” - “that’s too much realism!”

Realism is very long race for EA. It is not about nhl only. Nfl,fifa,nba..it is the same. I do want too much realism how is possible, without fun if realism is not fun, right.

EA is not doing anything wrong - if you can play the same game as offline mode only.
    For example:
    I am not using LT backskate with the puck, why? Because CPU is not using this too. It is my choice. It is my fault, maybe. I do not want do have any advance against the cpu play. It is my choice if I can do win without this LT advance.

On otherhand, DJneo (2khs builder) wrote me about this future for CPU play is missing at nhl19. Why Cpu player is not using LT backskate move with puck never? It is not programmed, maybe.

If I am an online player, I have no choice how win the game without exploits. This is a problem:
    How much you will use the exploits in one game if the opponent is not using this?

Ok with this rule Is there no space for any "too much sim". For me is there no space for fun If I am playing online game. LT is so much owerpowered is not real, not fun, you can be an master with LT. You are LT king after this.
    You do not have to a good hockey player if use this " turbo" , I think.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1159 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Whether skating backwards into the offensive zone falls in the realm of "possibilities" within the game's rules or physics is irrelevant

lol yeeeaaaa sorry but no.

It is relevant. I do not want EA to remove the ability to backskate with the puck in ANY area of the ice or during ANY scenario because you can LITERALLY DO THAT IN REAL LIFE.

That being said, like I've stated MANY times before - LT in its current state needs to have the agility turned way down when being utilized in a way that's unrealistic. but it should not be REMOVED.

Anyone asking for any real-life element in the game to be removed is not a sim player.

Make sense?

I completely understood what you mean.

I still strongly disagree. If I want to back skate anywhere on the ice like any half decent skater, I should be.
  • The second you push LT and hold in the offensive zone your agility needs to be decreased, momentum greatly decreased, and balance vs contact from behind vastly decreased.

Watching the half twirling, puck protect, half twirl, cut center snipe short side is such an embarrassment to the game.
  • The second you push LT and hold in the offensive zone your agility needs to be decreased, momentum greatly decreased, and balance vs contact from behind vastly decreased.

Watching the half twirling, puck protect, half twirl, cut center snipe short side is such an embarrassment to the game.

At the same time, when you hold the protect the puck button you should have more balance and puck control.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited August 2019

Make sense?

I still strongly disagree. If I want to back skate anywhere on the ice like any half decent skater, I should be.

That's the thing though, no "half decent" skater in the NHL would ever skate backwards while skating towards the zone. The only time that would be sort of acceptable is during a shootout, and even then, during the All-star game. Pull that in a real game where you come in skating backwards? Next shift on the ice you'll get moidered.

I get that it's is a POSSIBILITY. But to quote the immortal Chris Rock: "Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it OUGHT to be done. Heck, I can drive my car with my feet if I wanted to, that doesn't make it a good frickin' idea!"

And again, you didn't really understand what I said, because I said that you COULD skate backwards anywhere on the ice. But on the condition that you're skating towards your zone. So you can go forward, hit LT and cut backwards to reset and make some space. But you can't progress towards the offensive zone while skating with your back turned to the opposing net. It just doesn't happen. Period.

It only happens in this game and it's an exploit. An exploit that is absurdly abused in this game. Any developer worth their salt in any other competitive franchise would have that removed post haste. What is EA waiting for?
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited August 2019

Make sense?

That's the thing though, no "half decent" skater in the NHL would ever skate backwards while skating towards the zone. The only time that would be sort of acceptable is during a shootout, and even then, during the All-star game. Pull that in a real game where you come in skating backwards? Next shift on the ice you'll get moidered.

I get that it's is a POSSIBILITY. But to quote the immortal Chris Rock: "Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it OUGHT to be done. Heck, I can drive my car with my feet if I wanted to, that doesn't make it a good frickin' idea!"

And again, you didn't really understand what I said, because I said that you COULD skate backwards anywhere on the ice. But on the condition that you're skating towards your zone. So you can go forward, hit LT and cut backwards to reset and make some space. But you can't progress towards the offensive zone while skating with your back turned to the opposing net. It just doesn't happen. Period.

It only happens in this game and it's an exploit. An exploit that is absurdly abused in this game. Any developer worth their salt in any other competitive franchise would have that removed post haste. What is EA waiting for?

Stop trying to convince me as we won't see eye-to-eye on it. Ever. I fully agree with what you want to do, and yes, something has to be done without a doubt. But this isn't the way. It isn't the fact that you can back skate that is the issue in the game. The issue is you get way too much agility while doing it, you can spam it without consequence, and for some reason it greatly hinders the calculation of physics and it grants a form of invincibility. It should be as in real life: Do this in the NHL and you are asking to get murdered, this much we agree on.

The fix is simple like I said. While pivoting, agility, bracing for impact and to an extent puck control goes through the ground and you get smoked. Should even be a high probability of getting injured may I add while you get smoked in that scenario. The physical outcome should be worse than those that hold off that pass until the last second and this is where most injuries happen in the game. Spinning around should yield a higher chance of injury than holding off that pass. You do that and players will stop using this tactic overnight.

And again, please stop saying I don't fully understand because that isn't even remotely close to the truth. I understand, but disagree.

At the same time, when you hold the protect the puck button you should have more balance and puck control.

Puck protect does give you more balance and control Powerforwards use this alot.

However, so does holding out your right stick, which is absurd that it greatly helps to shrug off checks...... Another issue that should be fixed pronto.
  • However, so does holding out your right stick, which is absurd that it greatly helps to shrug off checks...... Another issue that should be fixed pronto.

Holding out your stick should do absolutely nothing against collisions. You aren't bracing yourself, you aren't centering your core. You should be most vulnerable when moving your stick to the outside since in reality you're making yourself off balance.
  • However, so does holding out your right stick, which is absurd that it greatly helps to shrug off checks...... Another issue that should be fixed pronto.

Holding out your stick should do absolutely nothing against collisions. You aren't bracing yourself, you aren't centering your core. You should be most vulnerable when moving your stick to the outside since in reality you're making yourself off balance.

Totally agree.

Many players get nailed in open ice as they are winding up for a shot. They simply don't have the balance to make the defender bounce off of them in that scenario.