EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Devs? Delay of game penalty? (Puck Ragging)

Prev1
SturmWolfe
113 posts Member
edited August 2019
When people purposely skate back to their end of the ice and sit behind the net. Then pass back and forth when you are forechecking... They do nothing to play the puck and continue play.

I can't seem to understand why there hasn't been a handicap or delay of game penalty issued when players do this.

It is KILLING the game and if it's not implemented in 20. I will not be buying it. Plain and simple.

It is player griefing.
EA Sports, you know it doesn't happen in the NHL unless a team is trying to make a legitimate play. Even then the puck is not held until a line change can be made or when the team is in formation.

When people deliberately grief to win games. It's not competitive.

So my question is why is it taking so long to have these players punished?
Post edited by SturmWolfe on

Replies

• I tried to respond but I cant even right now.

Hockey is a game of chess. If he wants to stay behind his net.. Steal the puck from him.. If he is baiting you ouy of position thats your fault.. If hes being a class a jerk then just quit the game.. Its 1 game..
  • AlCapone33
    1 posts New member
    edited August 2019
    No one should have to deal with mindless 9 year olds who puck rag and skate straight up the middle every single time they have the puck
    Sure you can defend it, but it’s not like playing real hockey.
    Now is it.
    This game has been ruined by this for far too long!
    EA should give delay of game penalties

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • G1ll1es wrote: »
    I tried to respond but I cant even right now.

Hockey is a game of chess. If he wants to stay behind his net.. Steal the puck from him.. If he is baiting you ouy of position thats your fault.. If hes being a class a jerk then just quit the game.. Its 1 game..

Sounds like a ragger to me.
  • SturmWolfe
    113 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    G1ll1es wrote: »
    I tried to respond but I cant even right now.

The point I was making completely went in one ear and out the other for you.
    Not only did you not take the time to actually read the whole post. You shrug it off like it's nothing. When you're playing CS and have only 20 games to potentially win great rewards... Playing against a griefing opponent should land them DoG penalties and a suspension from playing CS when video proof is provided.

When it's just an unranked regular game. It is just one game. As soon as they skate up the ice from my blue line. I know exactly what kind of player they are.
  • Idiots like this ruin the experience for me. Partly why I don't play online much. I don't mind regrouping in your own end with the hope of setting up a break out pass. But playing chase is not fun and kills any enjoyment this game has. So I agree, I wish they would have like a 10 second shot clock to clear the puck, if that doesn't happen then there should be a stoppage in play.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • Hopefully it'll be easier to lose the puck while ragging/ easier to steal the puck from raggers- close range defence needs a buff
  • johnny2fingaz
    127 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    And on top of that - if the player holding the puck doesn't move after 2 min sim time (or whatever the official NHL penalty is) - ya that's a delay of game
  • VeNOM2099
    2910 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    There is an actual rule in the NHL Rule book about this that says the ref can call a delay of game penalty if the puck isn't moved within a certain amount of time:

Delay of Game:
    1. A player or goaltender intentionally shoots or throws the puck out of the playing area.
    2. A defensive player in the defensive zone shoots the puck directly (without being deflected) over the glass. This penalty only applies if the player shoots it over the glass. If the puck is shot into the bench, no penalty is assessed.
    3. A player or goaltender intentionally knocks the net's goalpost off its moorings, which stops the play. If the net is intentionally knocked loose during a breakaway, the breakaway player is awarded a penalty shot. If there is not enough time in the game to serve the full delay of game penalty, the last player to take a shot is also awarded a penalty shot.
    4. The player or goalie intentionally keeps the puck behind the net for more than a minute
    5. The goaltender freezes the puck rather than passing it on to a teammate when no player on the opposing team is within sufficient distance to apply offensive pressure to him.
    6. Any skater other than the goaltender uses their hands to make the puck unplayable (in some leagues, this is called "closing hand on puck").
    7. Fans begin to throw objects onto the ice or disrupt the game.[2]
    8. Beginning from the 2017-18 NHL season, an unsuccessful coach's challenge for offside results in the challenging team being assessed a bench minor for delay of game.
    9. Delay of game penalties may also be assessed as a bench minor penalty (a minor penalty against the entire team rather than a specific player). These may be called if the team repeatedly engages in actions that postpone resumption of play (for example, being offsides before the faceoff) or if objects are thrown onto the ice that impede the progress of the game - traditional celebratory actions such as the throwing of hats onto the ice after a player records a hat trick are usually exempt from this rule.

Source: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    There is an actual rule in the NHL Rule book about this that says the ref can call a delay of game penalty if the puck isn't moved within a certain amount of time:

Delay of Game:
    1. A player or goaltender intentionally shoots or throws the puck out of the playing area.
    2. A defensive player in the defensive zone shoots the puck directly (without being deflected) over the glass. This penalty only applies if the player shoots it over the glass. If the puck is shot into the bench, no penalty is assessed.
    3. A player or goaltender intentionally knocks the net's goalpost off its moorings, which stops the play. If the net is intentionally knocked loose during a breakaway, the breakaway player is awarded a penalty shot. If there is not enough time in the game to serve the full delay of game penalty, the last player to take a shot is also awarded a penalty shot.
    4. The player or goalie intentionally keeps the puck behind the net for more than a minute
    5. The goaltender freezes the puck rather than passing it on to a teammate when no player on the opposing team is within sufficient distance to apply offensive pressure to him.
    6. Any skater other than the goaltender uses their hands to make the puck unplayable (in some leagues, this is called "closing hand on puck").
    7. Fans begin to throw objects onto the ice or disrupt the game.[2]
    8. Beginning from the 2017-18 NHL season, an unsuccessful coach's challenge for offside results in the challenging team being assessed a bench minor for delay of game.
    9. Delay of game penalties may also be assessed as a bench minor penalty (a minor penalty against the entire team rather than a specific player). These may be called if the team repeatedly engages in actions that postpone resumption of play (for example, being offsides before the faceoff) or if objects are thrown onto the ice that impede the progress of the game - traditional celebratory actions such as the throwing of hats onto the ice after a player records a hat trick are usually exempt from this rule.

Source: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

EA should put this in the game then. I mean it's ridiculous the way this is so successful, this could be a deterrent.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • It has been a joy watching people steam while i rag. A joy !!! This is how i get satisfaction when people who play me use the same spots or dekes to glitch goal or hit my players after the whistle...which is also a penalty. You wanna rub it in go ahead im good enough to defend any glitch goal and I Love Ragging against people like that.
    So i vote...drum roll...puck ragging stays
    Hip hip hooray ahhh whooooooh love it !

800 wins in hut and counting at your expense and steam people.

Have a splended day !
  • Since sitting behind the net for over a minute is a delay of game penalty in the nhl it should be a penalty in ea too.
    Seems simple enough and might cut down on puck ragging. Just make sure they can’t skate around the goal after 58 seconds and sit behind their goal again for another 58 seconds and repeat.
  • Ill go to your blueline make you think im rushing and turn back to negate the delay of game and were back to square one.
    They need to eliminate the glitch goals from glitch spots and add realism when a guy gets hit while shielding the puck. You are all looking at the wrong things.
  • I agree with that but there’s no reason to ice dance. Hockey is not played that way and if your looking for realism that’s not it either
  • Ill go to your blueline make you think im rushing and turn back to negate the delay of game and were back to square one.
    They need to eliminate the glitch goals from glitch spots and add realism when a guy gets hit while shielding the puck. You are all looking at the wrong things.

So instead of pursuing a change and helping others push EA Sports to change their game. You would rather punish other players because you couldn't block a glitch goal?

I rarely let in any glitch goals because they are so easy to block and defend against. If a player is being that predictable.

However, getting upset and player greifing is not going to send a message to EA Sports just because you're mad at how they developed the game.

Puck ragging is not a part of the sport and it is shamed upon. A delay of game. Pure and simple.

This is where I'll just say... If you have to puck rag because you don't know how to defend... Git gud.
  • EA_Roger
    1477 posts EA Community Manager
    Just jumping in here to say that everyone has the right to their opinion, please respect that & keep the conversation constructive. If you find any comments offensive be sure to flag them.

Thanks.
  • Roger is right everyone has their opinions and as long as there are threes and ones and arcade type modes in this game EA will make sure the raggers and players that don’t actually play hockey but take advantage of the arcade skills, which hey it’s the game, will be happy. I can say however EA can continue to take their money as mine is not going to be spent on this game. I have won 750+ games online and counting and haven’t had to rag.
  • I would still like to have a response from the devs stating they at least realize this is an issue.

I really dislike seeing multiple posts about the same thing get ghosted.
  • I’m sure they are aware of the rules in the nhl and I’m sure they will implement them into the game when the time is right.
    They are aware of the problem and I bet have been brainstorming the best way to handle it but just can’t seem to pinpoint the most effective way to stop puck ragging. Patience and all will be remedied in nhl 20 🤞
  • Tonysl79 wrote: »
    I’m sure they are aware of the rules in the nhl and I’m sure they will implement them into the game when the time is right.
    They are aware of the problem and I bet have been brainstorming the best way to handle it but just can’t seem to pinpoint the most effective way to stop puck ragging. Patience and all will be remedied in nhl 20 🤞

You show faith in a company and development team that hasn't deserved a single bit of it. This isn't a new thing, ragging losers have been around since 09 and likely won't change ever. EA has never cared about anything that is glitchy, exploiting or ragging, why would they start now? This development team has proven time and time again that they simply do not care.
  • Just wanted to drop this to remind folks.

EA can do something like this by blowing the the play dead or giving the offending team a penalty. Players have been asking for something to be done about this for a long time. Yet here we are many years later about the same issue not being addressed.