EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

NHL® 20 FEATURES OVERVIEW

Replies

• sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    This game has always been and will always be about responsiveness, the game sucks if you have input delay and the game is the best game in the world if it's responsive.

The change to TPS screwed up the responsiveness, the change to Xbox 1/PS4 made it even worse, year by year some changes but nothing to address the non responsiveness and lack of control issues.

NHL 19 showed some promise but wasn't anywhere near as responsive as it needs to be to play right, the improvements on NHL20 seem to focus on making it more responsive and as long as EA focuses on that aspect I will again purchase the new NHL game in hopes it starts to feel fluid like the glory days of this game NHL 09/10/11/12.
  • I disagree. If you will do control the same as you are hold any stick and move this is not hockey, trust me. Ice hockey player is more complex player as you wish thanks skates. If control will be without any delay it can be the same as hockeyball, not ice hockey.
    I like it how EA can do this natural delay of response. It is reason why I have not the speed slider on 6 level but 5.
    If you mean online? Ok I agree with you.
  • savatagion24
    137 posts Member
    edited July 25
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    NHL 19 showed some promise but wasn't anywhere near as responsive as it needs to be to play right, the improvements on NHL20 seem to focus on making it more responsive and as long as EA focuses on that aspect I will again purchase the new NHL game in hopes it starts to feel fluid like the glory days of this game NHL 09/10/11/12.

I'm curious to know what exactly you have seen/heard that makes you think NHL20 is somehow focused on "making it more responsive"? Even in the trailer, they bragged about the "revolutionary", "cutting edge" skating technology in NHL19 that was supposed to be designed to "maximize control and responsiveness", but you admit that NHL19 "wasn't anywhere near as responsive as it needs to be". All the trailer says is that they are using the same skating technology to control the stick. Was the "skating technology" so impressive in NHL19 that we should somehow be excited that they're using the same thing with the stick?

• sgiz1 wrote: »

I'm curious to know what exactly you have seen/heard that makes you think NHL20 is somehow focused on "making it more responsive"? Even in the trailer, they bragged about the "revolutionary", "cutting edge" skating technology in NHL19 that was supposed to be designed to "maximize control and responsiveness", but you admit that NHL19 "wasn't anywhere near as responsive as it needs to be". All the trailer says is that they are using the same skating technology to control the stick. Was the "skating technology" so impressive in NHL19 that we should somehow be excited that they're using the same thing with the stick?

The 19 beta had more responsive skating than we currently have. Sadly, people were complaining that big builds were as agile as small builds. I sort of agree something had to be done, but I don't agree with how it was fixed.

I would have preferred if they dropped the agility less than they did, but jacked up the agility by a bit on the smaller builds to compensate and keep a certain gap in agility. Now the only builds that feel decently responsive and agile are the small builds. Most times I need to run a PMD just to hope to keep up with the danglers and snipers. In the end, it kind of defeats the purpose of using bigger builds or even DFD, which is purely defensive and physical. When there aren't any tiny speedsters, I will generally use TWD as it is a decently balanced build. I rarely use EFD or DD unless I just want to run around tearing people's heads off and don't care about penalties, which rarely happens. They are just too clunky in most situations on the ice.
  • Hockey is not played how some people exploit the game with left trigger..why is this playstyle rewarded?
  • Why is anyone surprised that the same crew brings the same garbage. If its not only online it doesn't matter. New broadcasters, same cheesy lines. Might as well have brought Don Taylor back with the "mwhuhiahs" and such. The beta looks exactly like nhl19. which looks exactly like 18. which looks exactly like 17 and so on and so on.
  • VeNOM2099
    2605 posts Member
    edited July 30
    Why is anyone surprised that the same crew brings the same garbage. If its not only online it doesn't matter. New broadcasters, same cheesy lines. Might as well have brought Don Taylor back with the "mwhuhiahs" and such. The beta looks exactly like nhl19. which looks exactly like 18. which looks exactly like 17 and so on and so on.

Sadly this... Though it's understandable, this is probably the last hockey game for the current gen so we shouldn't expect them to break the mold too much.

The new animations are nice, goalies use their sticks to redirect pucks. I've even seen the goalies catch pucks backhanded which DOES happen in real life. But the game's core stayed the same. The PHILOSOPHY behind how EA's NHL works doesn't change; reduce the AI to bumbling idiots, reward the offense, punish defense and goalies gotta get sniped sometimes. It's been like this since NHL 09. Ten years later, we're still at the same point in time, but with prettier graphics, better animations, more "cool stuff" for the Fortniters who need new clothes and skins, and have ridiculous emotes that are somehow each one more obnoxious than the next (because nothing says HOCKEY like being a Toxic db to your opponent).

*sigh*... I'm getting too old for this. :(
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• MrDemsar88
    1 posts New member
    Well I've seen some China equipment in CHEL. Am I the only one who thinks that China has nothing to do with hockey. You should add Slovenia to the game. That's Kopitar's country and the team plays at a much higher level than Japan, Poland or Ukraine
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1120 posts Member
    You're probably not the only one, but that doesn't mean you're right. Besides, everybody wants their own country better represented in NHL games. I am not going to deabte about the level of 'minor' countries (with respect), as they vary a lot from one year to another.

But China has at least one team playing in the KHL, Kunlun Red Stars? So it's not like they're not on the hockey map in some ways at least. And there are quite a lot of potential buyers in China (duh), so I can understand why EA might want to include them is small ways at least? :)
  • FURY_SWE-69-
    95 posts Member
    edited August 2
    Having played the beta I can honestly say that the game feels a little more responsive. At least when you have an open net, the chance that you will hit the puck is 999% more likely. I saw a guy take tree shots in rapid succession, and this have never happened in NHL15-19.

That said, the game is NHL 15.6. The same crap is happening in the rest of the game. Lobby's that suddenly wont work at all. Cant find a game, until we drop out and in again, same as 16-20. Pucks hiding in the boards 12-20, Back skating crap, well all of it, almost.

One thing the useless menu system improved on, was opening a bag. You don't have to confirm to the game that you actually want to open the f bag you just pressed open on. Now you just press open, and then slide it open!?? OPEN ALL button please! Still better then nothing. Rest of menus.....jesus
    We don't need modifiers to change view, one button is enough.

How hard can it be, if you don't want my help, you can just copy the setup in a game or program that works really well, there are no copyrights on button placements or shortcut systems.

At least we can get a button to Chel in the three button we can adjust to our liking, but do we really need to change language that often? Do we need to see Matthews or a demo or ea-logo more then once?

I don't think so.

I would like to start the game and load in to EASHL practice-lobby. While I'm warming up with some shots on net I'll inv somebody if we are not a full team, and I put us in search to a 3s or 6s. Wrong handiness, no problem, I can change that on the fly, along with all the other options, player class, build and perks.

Cross-play with PC, xbox and PS4-5 make it easy to find a game at any hour.

A list with recommended players that searching for club game is conveniently at hand.

I can even play with 7-20 teammates, with line changes, cos GM-connected have melted in to the CHEL universe, and I CANT STOP PLAYING BECAUSE THIS IS THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIMES!!

Hmm, maybe in NHL36, if I'm alive then.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
    FURY-69-.png
  • When it comes to trades, you should be given a " we will get back to response " and in 2-3 days time you will get an approval or at least a counter offer. This would make trading more realistic, fun, and different then anything on any sports title. You could also have the option of holding off on an approved trade for a couple days or a week as well.
    This can ultimately payoff when the trade deadline either approaches or on the day of where you are given a set time to respond, same with the trading partner in either straight up no or counter offers. If you're a team that says no and you are rebuilding and a team wants your star they can keep countering with more aggressive asks and vice versa.
    Would be a great dynamic. As of now the, met our needs but want more and never actually telling you is just boring. As a result my only trades are selling players off for more draft picks as its easier to build that way, cheaper. There's really no incentive to make trades to acquire players, only to get more drafting assets.
  • I would like to start the game and load in to EASHL practice-lobby. While I'm warming up with some shots on net I'll inv somebody if we are not a full team, and I put us in search to a 3s or 6s. Wrong handiness, no problem, I can change that on the fly, along with all the other options, player class, build and perks.

I would also love this. Offline Practice is my 2nd most played mode after EASHL club 6s. Would love to get online practice while waiting for team to group up, and launch game from there.
    EASHL player
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    SpillGal wrote: »
    mattnjon wrote: »
    They will definitely know their target demographic, it's just not necessarily the right one.
    I've been wondering who that might be.
    They skip E3 and instead presents the new game during NHL Awards, "to better target their audience".
    Then proudly announces Battle Royale...?

A hockey loving person with little to no interest in video games, except that burning desire for Battle Royales? I agree, not necessarily the right demographics.

Announcing a hockey game at a hockey event when they eyes of the hockey world are on it seems like a pretty good time to announce a new hockey game. They are going to highlight the new features instead of go in to the stuff the hardcore players want. They have like 90 seconds to impress people and hopefully attract new players to the game. You're all acting like they showed everything that's coming in that trailer. Sheesh. Give it some time. This happens every year. Wait for the beta. Then complain enough to get it changed, and then complain about how the beta was great. Then they change it back to the beta and you'll still complain. What would this community do without something to complain about?

Usually I would agree with this statement but the average viewers of the NHL Awards is actually not great. This year the average was 200k. https://sportsmediawatch.com/2019/06/uswnt-ratings-nba-draft-overnights/ Now that is the average not the total but still not a ton. How many of those are gamers?

I have said it before but if you are trying to grow a game I think you should reveal and hype it to non die hards. Hockey fans that are gamers will likely seek out the trailer. Non hockey fan gamers at e3 or the EA event might take notice and get interested. I have no proof just a gut feeling.

• I do know too much real hockey players. They are not playing any nhl game nevermore. They are not playing any console game never.
    The nhl game is the same as any other sports game, it is only for fun. The most for the specific players only.
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »
    I do know too much real hockey players. They are not playing any nhl game nevermore. They are not playing any console game never.
    The nhl game is the same as any other sports game, it is only for fun. The most for the specific players only.

Actually, there are plenty of real players that play NHL. Most of them though play it for fun and to relax, not for competition.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• Love the new commentary. Much more interesting and varied comments. Hope they can mix it up and add lots more that actually relates to the game /standings/playoff situation.
    Like where the skating is going too with better pickups and also shot variety and fluidity.
  • Will it be possible to use Euro teams in Franchise mode like it was on PS3 (NHL16 and back) where you could substitute the NHL teams?
  • Any new for AI stick-use penalties?
  • So still no online franchise mode? I'm sure not a single soul asked for a battle royale inspired mode, maybe try listening to your market before making decisions.
  • muskym13 wrote: »
    So still no online franchise mode? I'm sure not a single soul asked for a battle royale inspired mode, maybe try listening to your market before making decisions.

It's just an elimination tournament. Not an actual battle Royale style game. Not sure what the problem with a tournament being in a hockey game is.

Gm connected was apparently extremely low usage by the community. Investing time and money into it would basically be working to appease the minority. Not exactly a great business decision.

Problem with us consumers, is we all think our ideas and wants are universal and the most important.