EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

NHL® 20 FEATURES OVERVIEW

12345679Next

Replies

• muskym13 wrote: »
    So still no online franchise mode? I'm sure not a single soul asked for a battle royale inspired mode, maybe try listening to your market before making decisions.

It's just an elimination tournament. Not an actual battle Royale style game. Not sure what the problem with a tournament being in a hockey game is.

Gm connected was apparently extremely low usage by the community. Investing time and money into it would basically be working to appease the minority. Not exactly a great business decision.

Problem with us consumers, is we all think our ideas and wants are universal and the most important.

Very true. Not sure why game companies don't post the number or percentage of modes used. It would basically eliminate majority of forums and stop people asking.
    So still no online franchise mode? I'm sure not a single soul asked for a battle royale inspired mode, maybe try listening to your market before making decisions.

It's just an elimination tournament. Not an actual battle Royale style game. Not sure what the problem with a tournament being in a hockey game is.

Gm connected was apparently extremely low usage by the community. Investing time and money into it would basically be working to appease the minority. Not exactly a great business decision.

Problem with us consumers, is we all think our ideas and wants are universal and the most important.

Very true. Not sure why game companies don't post the number or percentage of modes used. It would basically eliminate majority of forums and stop people asking.

So, then neither of them would know what modes are/aren't popular and they're both speculating if these "numbers" aren't posted, no?

I'll speculate and say it could be that a lot of people tried GM Connected but gave up on it because it was so "broken" and they were going to wait for the next iteration with fixes, but that next iteration never came because all efforts were put toward UT modes and the DDA (there's leaked proof of that) to manipulate those modes.

Come on, you know how shill an answer that is. GM Connected was removed because it took away potential HUT customers that wanted an Online Team Building mode.
    EASHL player
  • People stopped trying gm connected because it was an absolute joke on the technical side. The menus would take several minutes to navigate and if the menus didn't drop you the game surely would. Nobody was going to hang around for that.

Saying the usage on that mode was low is like me giving you a car with no motor and when you don't use it I just tell everyone you had no interest in driving.

Come on, you know how shill an answer that is. GM Connected was removed because it took away potential HUT customers that wanted an Online Team Building mode.

This doesn't make any sense. It's not like the handful of people that played GMC are now dumping so much money into HUT that they purposely left that mode out. I highly doubt there's any conspiracy here. If EA only wanted everyone to play HUT, that's all that you'd be able to do.
  • MooseHunter10
    402 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Sinbin wrote: »
    If EA only wanted everyone to play HUT, [that would be the only online mode where you can build a team and compete against other humans 1v1]

The overlap is obvious. The profitability difference of the two modes is obvious. If you guys enjoy your mobile game mechanics in a $80 console title good for you, but to say otherwise is ridiculous.
    EASHL player
  • I have to say, the shadows in drop in are actually causing a strain on my eyes. I really don't understand this decision. It's so hard to see the puck at times over there. This is so frustrating.
  • Really? :)
    From OS:
    "So let me get this straight...last year they inexplicably removed all of the licensed goal songs from the game. And this year they’re removing the NBC announce team (and surely the NBC graphics). So in two years, they’ve made the game far less immersive and made it much less authentic to what we hear and see in the arena and on tv. Boy, glad to see they’re making progress!"

Budget cuts, sounds like they're feeling it. Cost more to keep nbc logo and such. I think just remove ghe commentary and go with the sound of live NHL hockey.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    The lack of any work being done to handle online toxicity is disheartening.

New presentation sounds good.

New commentary to turn off - so maybe that volume level will stay above zero longer than a week this year.

Still no custom music? Lame.

The whole “new team celebrations” sound like they could be a little cheesey. Gonna need to see some video of that.

No lobbies? No tools to handle trolls? No accountability to finish a game?

EA has a real opportunity to engage the community with their game, but the lack of effort in providing in-game tools to do so is very discouraging.

Especially when we read about a new battle royal mode that nobody asked for. It’s like; is THIS what EA brought a bunch of new developers over for?

If the work that was done on this ridiculous battle royal mode resulted in the ability to join EASHL games mid-game, then I would say the development effort is worth it.

But hell - if there was significant resources put in to that without a global net-effort.... sigh.

The “target demographic” comment is hilarious. So, in what universe should the target demo of a hockey game be shifted AWAY from hockey fans?

Hockey is hockey. We all want tools to play better hockey; practice mode in EASHL, lobbies to entice cooperative play, custom music to improve immersion and changes to things that have been the EXACT SAME for years: Board Play, faceoffs.

I’m excited for all of the changes but when other aspects of the game remain dormant for years and you get sucked in to a board battle from 5 feet out, your eyes will roll and those “changes” will seem tainted.

I am curious to know if custom cameras have made a return? Any camera changes?

EA defending loot boxes......
    “We do think the way that we have implemented these kinds of mechanics – and FIFA, of course, is our big one, our FIFA Ultimate Team and our packs – is actually quite ethical and quite fun, quite enjoyable to people," Hopkins said.

But like I said elsewhere. Their main focus should be on the next-gen and not this year. FIFA isn't doing anything special either this year and simply phoning it in. The BR mode isn't really anything special. It's just a 1s and 3s tournament.

Since we saw how awful 15 was next-gen I don't think they want to recreate the same thing. I would like to believe Frostbite and PC come in NHL 21.

They couldn't afford the NBC crew... Chances are frostbite is out of the question. Sales are lower than ever
  • I'm getting the impression that everything we complained about and didn't want is what stayed. Nothing we asked for was implemented.

Did I miss anything?
  • jathegr892 wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »
    The lack of any work being done to handle online toxicity is disheartening.

New presentation sounds good.

New commentary to turn off - so maybe that volume level will stay above zero longer than a week this year.

Still no custom music? Lame.

The whole “new team celebrations” sound like they could be a little cheesey. Gonna need to see some video of that.

No lobbies? No tools to handle trolls? No accountability to finish a game?

EA has a real opportunity to engage the community with their game, but the lack of effort in providing in-game tools to do so is very discouraging.

Especially when we read about a new battle royal mode that nobody asked for. It’s like; is THIS what EA brought a bunch of new developers over for?

If the work that was done on this ridiculous battle royal mode resulted in the ability to join EASHL games mid-game, then I would say the development effort is worth it.

But hell - if there was significant resources put in to that without a global net-effort.... sigh.

The “target demographic” comment is hilarious. So, in what universe should the target demo of a hockey game be shifted AWAY from hockey fans?

Hockey is hockey. We all want tools to play better hockey; practice mode in EASHL, lobbies to entice cooperative play, custom music to improve immersion and changes to things that have been the EXACT SAME for years: Board Play, faceoffs.

I’m excited for all of the changes but when other aspects of the game remain dormant for years and you get sucked in to a board battle from 5 feet out, your eyes will roll and those “changes” will seem tainted.

I am curious to know if custom cameras have made a return? Any camera changes?

EA defending loot boxes......
    “We do think the way that we have implemented these kinds of mechanics – and FIFA, of course, is our big one, our FIFA Ultimate Team and our packs – is actually quite ethical and quite fun, quite enjoyable to people," Hopkins said.

But like I said elsewhere. Their main focus should be on the next-gen and not this year. FIFA isn't doing anything special either this year and simply phoning it in. The BR mode isn't really anything special. It's just a 1s and 3s tournament.

Since we saw how awful 15 was next-gen I don't think they want to recreate the same thing. I would like to believe Frostbite and PC come in NHL 21.

They couldn't afford the NBC crew... Chances are frostbite is out of the question. Sales are lower than ever

They only have themselves to blame on this. Overall the game of hockey is expanding around the world so that is not the issue. The issue is that pretty much all other sports games are a lot more authentic and simulation based. There are a lot more detail and work put into it. Seems with hockey they keep leaning towards more arcade like style.

FIFA they seem to nail. The commentary feels authentic, game play always feels fluid, AI is good, nothing feels cheesy, and everything from menus to game just transitions smoothly.

Personally I like NHL franchise mode better than any other sports game, they do that well. Its the most involved which is great for me. I played it for the first time last night and the game is smoother than last year so it is a step in the right direction.

They just need to overhaul the AI. Like there really should be a difference between teams that trap it up, or heavy forechecking, and set ups in the zone. And player separation with stats.

Overall I like it. I'm happy with my purchase
  • chrisvr6bfbc2
    1 posts New member
    edited September 2019
    Ea game fix this game please. This game has so much potential plz fix goalie please
  • Why can't you guys just make a hockey game that is focused on just hockey? 2K had it way better than you. Stop trying to make it something else. This isn't call of duty, fortnite, PUBG, or anything not-hockey related. Just leave it be. You had something going with 19, but instead of actually making it better, you made it worse. You kicked all the actual good ideas to the curb and instead focused on "battle royal," ones (which no one likes), aaaaaaaand you even shot Threes in both feet. All the while, the real problems persist. And it's super buggy! What's the point of making another year of this when you make it worse? Supposed to go forward, but instead "let's make hockey into something that's not hockey," cuz people will love that. Go back to 19 and ACTUALLY upgrade it. How is that so hard? Who came up with this garbage? Who actually thought this game would be a good idea? Not the fans... that's for darn certain. Maybe you should hire real fans with real ideas cuz we're here. And right now, you suck. Very simple.
  • Steven5470
    334 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Presentation: Where?? I see a few graphics and that's it. I see a glitchy looking PP graphic that will give you seizures if you stare it too long. If you blink during the beginning of the game, you'll miss the "new" presentation. The replays are identical to last year with no added flare. The commentary repeats during a game.

New Modes for Offline: Not many options unless you play HUT. Where is the 3 vs 3 All Star Trny? You know, the one that's been in the NHL for years now??

And box scores?? We've constantly asked for the one thing in all sports games..box scores. Thanks, EA for not including that AGAIN.
    Post edited by Steven5470 on
  • The one thing I would say about the score overlay is that the graphics remind me of cycling through the game menu. I looks like its crawling and delayed like playing a bad online VS game. I dont have an issue with it in the D zone, but I see where its a problem when sending the puck back to the point.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1186 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Seems like it's REALLY hard to get a boarding penalty this year? I haven't seen one yet. last year you could get boarding for the silliest things, so either they adjusted it a lot, or removed it altogether? :p
  • MrDemsar88 wrote: »
    Well I've seen some China equipment in CHEL. Am I the only one who thinks that China has nothing to do with hockey. You should add Slovenia to the game. That's Kopitar's country and the team plays at a much higher level than Japan, Poland or Ukraine
    I was also surprised when I found equipment for China, but not for Poland and other countries which exist in game. It's incomprehensible. I hope they'll add an equipment for missing countries. Especially, for me, I hope to see colours of Poland.
  • I wasn't sure if the new features would be worth purchasing the game this year, but overall I'm happy with it.
    The new announcers had too much energy for me at first, but I drank coffee & now I can keep up.
    Adding animations usually comes with errors with blending/coding but the gameplay is smooth & responsive this year.
    The new graphics presentation is pretty good. I think my only complaint is that it is inconvenient to constantly look down to see how much time is left in a power play when all of the action is happening at the top of the screen. I've read a lot of people wanting a toggle option for a top left scoreboard like in ProAm.
    I'm not a fan of Eliminator mode but I do enjoy being able to collect rewards for the modes I do play.
    Overall, I like the refined aspects of this game. My biggest gripe about the game is actually the menus. The start screen with all of the modes/pinned modes is great! But navigating 3-4 screens once you are in a mode is annoying. I also feel there should be a Save & Exit button in your skater customization mode instead of having to press the back button 5 times to get to the save button.