EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 gameplay Complaints/Suggestions/Improvements

Prev13
Swee9LoU84
50 posts Member
edited September 2019
After many of us grinding the beta, free trial and release, we’re starting to get a feel of what we don’t like and some bad things about the game.

Overall the game is very good but it of course can still use some improvements. However, as we’ve seen in the past when we give EA some suggestions and stuff we want fixed they do address most of the things we want but ignore some others bc they either disagree or prioritize things which sucks but oh well. More importantly we need to be careful what we tell them to fix bc as we’ve seen in the past we ask them to fix things we want and they do BUT they mess something else up.

Anyways, they have been pretty good lately at listening to us as long as we come together and convey the same complaints and suggestions across to them collectively, so let’s start a thread up here.

GAMEPLAY STUFF
1.) Incidental contact - A little better than 19 but still needs lowered, too much pin ball and puck possession change numerous times in front of the net

2.) Bumps - Bumps are much much better than 19 but BIG builds can still bump at an alarmingly higher rate in HUT and EASHL

3.) Puck pick ups - they’re are almost too good, everyone tries to grab everything making for a number of scrambles/pinball in front of the net and the offense comes away with it more often

4.) Pass interceptions - pass ints when facing the wrong way or extending into the lane are still too high. There are so many passing lanes that are there and a guy is backwards or sideways and extends to take away passing lanes without pressing any button and while being out of position

5.) Auto Pass knock downs - get rid of the auto knock downs of saucers passes. Why do they exist, also the aut bat the puck out of the air in the D zone

6.) One timer accuracy is pretty messy I know it relies a lot on how you’re turned but that’s pretty hard to control and leads to way too many would be goals that are missed . I can see this becoming a problem and guys going to replays after games and saying I AIMED HERE, and showing the replay and it showing where they aimed but going somewhere else

7.) Passing - passing is improved from the beta but the pass assist seems less forgiving than other years. The pass speed (puck is too slow off release) is slow. Charging passes still seems to not have a lot of power and takes too long to charge to the ideal power. One touches are occasionally not responsive enough

8.) LT to an extent is still a little too good. I personally like it bc I like creating angles and passing lanes with it but I can see the people complaining about it bc they can't hit people off of the puck when their backs are turned and if they poke it's a trip.

9.) Stick Lifts - stick lifts were OP last yr, too many lifts with no repercussions for penalties for spamming and now they seem to be very ineffective. There are a lot of times the stick contact on a lift goes right through the opponents stick. I don't mind it where it's at bc it's not too overpowered and not too under powered but many are complaining

GOALIE STUFF

1.) Goalies seem to not get save animations sometimes leading to a good amount of broken play/scramble goals still

2.) Rebounds - Goalies are giving up super fast rebounds off of slap shots. The rebound bounces out almost as fast as the shot comes in. The goalies don’t absorb them and really take any speed off of the rebound from the shot and it goes to another player usually way too fast making it almost impossible to defend but more so unrealistic

3.) Goalies Covering the Puck - pucks are getting saved by goalies but just sitting there and they tweak and can’t pick it up and everyone runs in and pokes or dives at the goalie to try to get it loose and in bc the whistle doesn’t blow.

EASHL BUILD STUFF
1.) Increase all build overalls

2.) Traits - please take away the negative impact of traits and only have them effect attributes positively. There doesn’t need to be any penalty for having traits and too many of them take away from shooting which we don’t want

3.) Beta Builds vs Release Builds - If neither of the first two are changed, builds going from beta builds back to 19 builds (attribute wise) has the speed gap and pull away speed not nearly as good as it was in the beta, but it does make every build usable bc the big and lower end builds can skate now . However, I don’t like the lower pull away speed though so maybe instead of reverting the builds to the beta, bump those high end speed and short guys speeds/accel/agility/endurance up even more rather than lower the speed/accel/agility/endurance of the bigger and slower builds

[Socair - edited swear filter]

THINGS PEOPLE HAVE ADDED

GIVE US THE SMALL SCOREBOARD IN THE TOP CORNER. It's in other game modes like pro-am and arcade 3s, why the hell do we have to use a giant flashing scoreboard that prevents us from seeing the puck behind our own net?

- There has been a definite dip in shot power since the beta, don't know if that's because of the change in player builds or they just slowed it down. I feel like it could be a bit faster again.

- Pass speed is still kind of slow, and one-touch passes still have a delay sometimes (usually when picking up the puck along the boards).

- Stick lifts aren't as effective as they should be when you're in position. There have been times where it looked like the stick lift should have worked, and sure enough when I look at the replay at the next whistle my stick goes through their stick but it doesn't register as making contact.

- I feel like skating could be faster all-around, or maybe just increase the skating attributes on all the builds.

- Deflections are a bit insane right now, tone them down.

- I'm personally fine with nerfing the hell out of LTing with the puck, it's almost the same as 19 at this point (minus the speed boost).

- Please let us choose what specific servers we want to use when searching (west/central/east) or what server the game will use on the ready-up screen when matched up with another team.

- jersey tuck unlocked at level 25, people aren’t receiving it
Post edited by Swee9LoU84 on

Replies

• Agree with pass intercepts being too high, we need to incentivize passing/teamwork, not deter/punish it by every pass getting intercepted.

Agree with one timer accuracy, same as above we need to incentivize setting up teammates with pass plays for the one timer, if you are fortunate to get a pass thru, its extremely frustrating for the one timer to be weak and inaccurate.

Just too much punishment/deterring teamwork/passing, and too much emphasis/rewards for puck hogging, deking, and shooting.
  • We just a tuner update today... so who knows what that contain

• We don’t need to nerf pass interceptions as a global slider to incentivize teamplay imo. We need more build separation so that OFDs/PMDs have a significant advantage offensively while being a significant defensive liability in their own end. Reaching auto-animations (one-handed, overly extended interceptions/deflections) should be reserved for the TWD/DFD only imo. PMD and OFD better be in perfect position and facing the puck to pick it off.

Second, an uptick in pass speed and allowing touch passes to be stronger and quicker will be more than enough if player separation actually meant anything.

Third, snipers need to be able to hit their spot consistently. That doesn’t mean they need to score every time, but half-open one-timers with a sniper class should at least be forcing the goalies to make a save all of the time.

The biggest challenge with structuring this game like a MOBA, is that MOBAs have expected results. If I’m the ADC I know I’ll melt squishy opponents but I also know I’m very fragile as well. In EASHL, I can watch my “sniper” miss a wide-open 1T while my “grinder” teammate tucks a bar-down 1T I’m a similar scenario. Doesn’t make much sense to me from a video game aspect.

At some point, competitive environments need to sacrifice some randomness and “realism” in-order to provide the best competitive environment possible. I had to quit EASHL/LG after 18 because the meta for this series is unplayable. Too random, too cheesy, too frustrating to say the least, and it was just a shame seeing so many 6s games decided by who gets the dice-roll rather than who has the stick skills.

I’m all for having to play good, fast, team-driven hockey, but EASHL this gen has been all about turd, crash, and pray and it’s just not an enjoyable experience.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Follisimo wrote: »
    We just a tuner update today... so who knows what that contain

Probably the huge fix list that wasn't in the beta. That's my guess. I would not be surprised that the LT fix was not implemented at all in the early Access. At least I hope that's why I see LTers everywhere the last few days. Better not be the end result.
  • Lou, you should note that this feedback is for EASHL 6s. People playing other game modes like HUT with 10 AI players (with higher overalls) on the ice might not feel the same.
  • The goalies are brutal , goalie threat analysis is a joke ,LTing still a thing ,the protect the puck bubble is King again , because the hitting is terrible
  • Nuckles37 wrote: »
    Lou, you should note that this feedback is for EASHL 6s. People playing other game modes like HUT with 10 AI players (with higher overalls) on the ice might not feel the same.

It's for EASHL and VS/HUT. Basically any online gameplay I've seen a majority of those things being effected
  • Honestly, one of my biggest pet peeves is that the game doesn't stay open/connected when you open another app. For example, I used to be able to ready up with the boys, and while we are searching I'd get my Spotify set up. Now if you open anything else the game shuts down--this seems like a small thing but it's a basic function that every other game has....it works in 19, no reason it wouldn't in 30?
  • The shadows in drop in are killing me...my eyes get strained from a single game. It's a game breaking issue for me now.
  • Steven5470
    355 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Just started playing this and my biggest complaint so far is the distracting "glitchy" graphic that happens on the scoreboard when a team is on the powerplay. I understand the thrill of saying a team is on the powerplay, but sheesh, turn that darn thing off! It's very distracting with it being constant! Who at EA ever thought this was a great visual idea??? It's very hard to play with that thing flashing constantly.

Presentation: I thought they updated this? If you blink, you'll miss it! And if I'm playing an Alumni team (as or against), the commentary should mention that. But I get the "both teams haven't been scoring goals lately.." huh??

Gameplay: More passing by the AI which is nice, but definitely needs tweaked more. I think EA spent all their time on that flashing PP logo than gameplay.

Graphics: Looks the same as 19 and 18.

Commentary: It's nice change to have an excited announcer, but geez...every play is exciting to him. "He made a pass! OMG!" To me, this ruins the "sim" feel...it creates more of an arcade atmosphere.
    Post edited by Steven5470 on
  • Here's a complaint. This game sucks. Whomever decided to have that idiot comment the words of every selection you make in the menus and put the score board across the complete bottom of the screen should be fired. Is the menu commentary there for people who can't read but understand english? The score clock. Where to begin on that one hmmm. Fire that person. Please. What a waste of cash especially after buying every other ea hockey game that has ever come out. Thousands of dollars then we get this. Thanks EA. Thanks a lot.
  • EASHL player div 1 in NHL 19....first time I buy a NHL game and go strait to club... so I don't know if it is like this every year... But there are so many things to fix !!!... the game feels ..''Out of control'' weird bounces off goalies... Goalies that seem stuck at times with no reaction, weird random animations, SCOREBOARD at the screen bottom ????????????????... Passing sucks... I mean.. what the heck is going on.. ? playing the game is just upsetting... Seems like you have no control on so many plays...it had been a while since I bought NHL right when it came out...and It probably will be a while before I do it again... will maybe get it at Xmas next time... when most of the glitches have been fixed....because right now, it feels like the worst NHL I ever played.....
  • KOSisKing wrote: »
    Honestly, one of my biggest pet peeves is that the game doesn't stay open/connected when you open another app. For example, I used to be able to ready up with the boys, and while we are searching I'd get my Spotify set up. Now if you open anything else the game shuts down--this seems like a small thing but it's a basic function that every other game has....it works in 19, no reason it wouldn't in 30?

That's only for the trial. It works now that game is released
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »
    The shadows in drop in are killing me...my eyes get strained from a single game. It's a game breaking issue for me now.

Drop in is brutal, check out Leaguegaming.com

The league might not be for everyone but using the NHL-AHL-CHL chatbox to find people to club with is fantastic and 10xs better players and hockey than drop ins
  • Here's a complaint. This game sucks. Whomever decided to have that idiot comment the words of every selection you make in the menus and put the score board across the complete bottom of the screen should be fired. Is the menu commentary there for people who can't read but understand english? The score clock. Where to begin on that one hmmm. Fire that person. Please. What a waste of cash especially after buying every other ea hockey game that has ever come out. Thousands of dollars then we get this. Thanks EA. Thanks a lot.

Lol what that makes the game suck? You can turn that off in settings.

• Benyk777 wrote: »
    EASHL player div 1 in NHL 19....first time I buy a NHL game and go strait to club... so I don't know if it is like this every year... But there are so many things to fix !!!... the game feels ..''Out of control'' weird bounces off goalies... Goalies that seem stuck at times with no reaction, weird random animations, SCOREBOARD at the screen bottom ????????????????... Passing sucks... I mean.. what the heck is going on.. ? playing the game is just upsetting... Seems like you have no control on so many plays...it had been a while since I bought NHL right when it came out...and It probably will be a while before I do it again... will maybe get it at Xmas next time... when most of the glitches have been fixed....because right now, it feels like the worst NHL I ever played.....

If you're a big EASHL player check out Leaguegaming.com

Some of the bounces are brutal, incidental contact is tough in 6s bc of all the people around the puck compared to VS/HUT.

Passing is fine, could still use some speed increase and the charging for long passes take less time to get more juice on it
  • "GIVE US THE SMALL SCOREBOARD IN THE TOP CORNER. It's in other game modes like pro-am and arcade 3s, why the hell do we have to use a giant flashing scoreboard that prevents us from seeing the puck behind our own net?"

This!
    As a D-man in EASHL, it's almost impossible for me to predict where the puck will be on dumps.. icings, and in general picking the puck up from behind the net.
    -Yes, I've tried more cameras (I use overhead).
    -Yes, I calibrated the screen and the arrows are all the way to the edges of the screen.

Please PLEASE! fix this by giving us the option to have the old version. Turning it off is also not an option.
  • Seems from all these threads people would like a traditional option for the old scoreboard in the top left that fades away, especially Dmen and goalies who it seems to effect the most behind their net in their zone
  • Swee9LoU84 wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    The shadows in drop in are killing me...my eyes get strained from a single game. It's a game breaking issue for me now.

Drop in is brutal, check out Leaguegaming.com

The league might not be for everyone but using the NHL-AHL-CHL chatbox to find people to club with is fantastic and 10xs better players and hockey than drop ins

I played LG long enough...no offense to you, but I found the environment toxic. I've found a good group of guys in another league, but I still can't play club that much as my primary playing time is during the day. So, I play drop in primarily. No idea why they removed such a fun aspect of the online world.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.