EA Forums - Banner

Connecting to the wrong server

When I play EASHL there are 3 different pings that i connect to based on where the game is hosted. 50ms, 60ms or 80ms. When i play HUT i almost always get 60 ms until last night when every single one of my games was 50ms. Today all of my games went back to being 60ms. Is there a way to only play on the server that I get 50ms on?

Replies

• Socair
    2814 posts Game Changer
    BMatlock97 wrote: »
    When I play EASHL there are 3 different pings that i connect to based on where the game is hosted. 50ms, 60ms or 80ms. When i play HUT i almost always get 60 ms until last night when every single one of my games was 50ms. Today all of my games went back to being 60ms. Is there a way to only play on the server that I get 50ms on?

There isn’t a way to get your preferred server in HUT, no. You’re likely seeing time of day reflected in the matchmaking. Given your numbers, I’m assuming you are western? If so, earlier in the day for you will more likely match up with eastern users, whereas nighttime will see more western or central players. Ideally at night, once the player base increases, you should see pings in the 30-40ms range as there ought to be more players on that are also west based.
  • I'm in Saskatchewan but when I connect to west servers I get around 80ms. In other games I get a lower ping on eastern servers vs western. I have never gotten anything lower than 48 ping since the switch to dedicated servers 7 months ago
  • Socair
    2814 posts Game Changer
    Ok. Yeah that makes sense too.
    If the demand is there, EA may add in a use best location to HUT one day, like in EASHL.
  • Is there any way that I can improve my ping or am I just too far away from the server?I wasn't able to play hut in the 2nd half of last year because the latency was so bad.
  • Socair
    2814 posts Game Changer
    Is there any way that I can improve my ping or am I just too far away from the server?I wasn't able to play hut in the 2nd half of last year because the latency was so bad.
    You can’t really improve the ping, no, without physically moving closer to a server. Do you get a stable, straight line?
  • Yes its stable but all of my buttons are delayed. I can go and play a versus game with 60 ping and it feels perfectly fine but when I play a hut game everything is delayed.
  • Socair
    2814 posts Game Changer
    Yes its stable but all of my buttons are delayed. I can go and play a versus game with 60 ping and it feels perfectly fine but when I play a hut game everything is delayed.
    That’s unfortunate. Have you tried port forwarding? Some people have said that helps reduce input delay.
    This article lists which ports to forward for each console https://help.ea.com/en-ca/help/faq/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/
    You may have to look up your specific router for instructions on how to port forward if you are unsure.
  • I have and I even contacted my ISP and they said that they said all ports are open. Today I even tried putting my ps4 in dmz and nothing changed.
  • lol complaining about 80ms ping, add 100ms and try at 180ms thats the best we get in Australia, then play online in HUT get owned when you have to wait 2 seconds after pressing for a pass. Games a joke.