EA Forums - Banner

Just over a day left until full release, not a peep from EA on what is being fixed

Prev1
HaltingCone
21 posts Member
edited September 2019
Well here we are, the game is about ready to release and nothing has been done based on the beta feedback yet. Nobody has said, "hey, we heard you and are working on it". Nothing. Not a peep.

It would be understandable to be hesitant to make changes based on the whole beta controversy last year, but this is not the time to dig in and stick to your guns. The game actually needs changes now, things need to be fixed. There was a huge difference between the NHL 19 beta and this one, NHL 19 beta was on point.

I went through the feedback surveys being posted during the beta because I was curious as to the quality of feedback being given. I thought maybe we really were to blame, maybe it's just poor information from the consumer.

I honestly expected to see more people giving completely inaccurate feedback, but I was pleasantly surprised. There was still some bad info, but for the most part people seemed to be on the same page. Balance the classes, balance offense and defense, nerf LT'ing, get rid of the shadows on drop-in, fix the passing and for the love of god FIX THE SCORE OVERLAY. At least give the option to move it to the top at bare minimum.

These were the main themes I read and there has only been more pleading to fix these issues since the beta. But here we are, 1 day away and nothing. I know many of my friends, myself and many many others haven't purchased the full game yet because we're waiting to see what happens. Especially defensemen, nobody wants to play defense. It's a hot mess.

This is not how a game release is supposed to go, I'm supposed to be excited, not waiting for necessary changes that might make the game enjoyable. Does any of this sound like it's worth spending our hard earned money on right now?

bdl0cabl7beb.gif

Replies

• All the elite streamers love this game so expect nothing or maybe just maybe a tweak here and there but as for something big ..... like the kid is saying
  • Remember last years debacle? They never did bother fixing the matchmaking system. We won't even know if that aspect is working til next week.
  • Buy the game and find out what's been fixed!

...at least that's what they're depending on. Those of us that have been buying these games every year have been through this song and dance before. Best to just wait for input from people that actually bought the game before throwing more money at EA.
  • I still have half my trial for testing. It doesn't take long to see. Nothing has been changed that matters since the beta.
  • Only me that see less L2 spamming since sept 10?
  • I have come to accept I am not by any stretch the target audience of this game.

Many years ago EA went ahead and put all the focus on scoring and making people feel like super stars while dangling and sniping. It was what consumers have come to expect of this franchise. D is a nuisance and goaltending is a joke.

Hockey to me is more than abusing backskating, dangling and sniping. Worse case $20 - $25 used is pretty much all I can stomach to spend on this game. LG is the main reason people buy this game every year. LG should stick to their guns 1 year and just continue through a 2nd season with the previous title. That would absolutely shake things up.

Just my 2 cents.
  • That would be the quickest way to get a replacement for LG
  • I have come to accept I am not by any stretch the target audience of this game.

Many years ago EA went ahead and put all the focus on scoring and making people feel like super stars while dangling and sniping. It was what consumers have come to expect of this franchise. D is a nuisance and goaltending is a joke.

Hockey to me is more than abusing backskating, dangling and sniping. Worse case $20 - $25 used is pretty much all I can stomach to spend on this game. LG is the main reason people buy this game every year. LG should stick to their guns 1 year and just continue through a 2nd season with the previous title. That would absolutely shake things up.

Just my 2 cents.

Me too brother, me too.... used to buy day one, now, thirty bucks at most due to everything you described above.......such a shame

Just my 2 cents.

Pretty much nailed it, I'm sure that's why they don't address any of the issues people are concerned about, just leave it the way it is to attract that particular crowd. They have to read these posts and know they're losing a certain crowd, but I'm sure they don't care in the least, that's why I'm convinced this franchise will never, ever,ever get back to the way it was.

Just my 2 cents.

To barrow off of this post. If it wasn't for franchise mode I'm not sure how much interest that I would have in this game. But over the past two years they've added a lot to that mode. It still isn't perfect but it's much better than it was in NHL 18. But more can be done and I'll illustrate that in a future post when I get a chance to dig deeper into the mode this weekend. But without a pretty good franchise mode this game would be hard to buy year in and year out.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    jiajji wrote: »
    That would be the quickest way to get a replacement for LG

I definitely see why you would think that. And it is absolutely a possibility.

However, by default LG always uses the current release for their season. If they started spreading the word next week or so that next season would still be using NHL20 I am willing to bet a vast majority would stick around for the following season. ALOT of people buy the next version just to be able to play in LG because otherwise they wouldn't be able to play the next season.

When it comes to custom leagues, LG is by far the most popular one. It has weight and can carry itself.
  • EA can't resist. You all know the EA patch is incoming asap... ;)
  • jiajji wrote: »

However, by default LG always uses the current release for their season. If they started spreading the word next week or so that next season would still be using NHL20 I am willing to bet a vast majority would stick around for the following season. ALOT of people buy the next version just to be able to play in LG because otherwise they wouldn't be able to play the next season.

When it comes to custom leagues, LG is by far the most popular one. It has weight and can carry itself.

I don't play LG so I don't know what a game looks like, but playing with/vs LG players I see the L2 cheese quite a bit, are we sure LG isn't a proponent of the cheese?
  • I only play Club/OTP and so far it's pretty bad how tough it is to play defence against puck hoggers while it's very easy to defend passing. This combination rewards LT/L2 spamming and hogging the puck. Its awful. poke checking doesn't cause enough puck separation, Hitting doesn't cause enough puck separation. Even proper gap control and stick overlaps that used to cause turnovers doesn't work as well. It's a defensive nightmare at the moment.
  • I only play Club/OTP and so far it's pretty bad how tough it is to play defence against puck hoggers while it's very easy to defend passing. This combination rewards LT/L2 spamming and hogging the puck. Its awful. poke checking doesn't cause enough puck separation, Hitting doesn't cause enough puck separation. Even proper gap control and stick overlaps that used to cause turnovers doesn't work as well. It's a defensive nightmare at the moment.

And pass breakouts from the d men got killed this year. Was hard enough to fill D slots already, it's going to be some real slim pickings now that the game plan on both sides of the ice is just "stand in the right spot and hope somebody passes you the puck".
  • jiajji wrote: »
    jiajji wrote: »

I don't play LG so I don't know what a game looks like, but playing with/vs LG players I see the L2 cheese quite a bit, are we sure LG isn't a proponent of the cheese?

Meh, I wouldn't go so far as to say it is the meta, but there are definitely cheesers and that is to say, they are in every game mode. From my personal experience LG clubs will practice a team based strategy, but will definitely abuse weak defenders if they get the opportunity. They will basically play with what you give them. If you play smart positional D, they will find seems and pass the puck around.

Just my 2 cents.

If they did stick to their guns, EA would counter by shutting down the servers to that title immediately upon release ofnthe new game.

Just my 2 cents.

To barrow off of this post. If it wasn't for franchise mode I'm not sure how much interest that I would have in this game. But over the past two years they've added a lot to that mode. It still isn't perfect but it's much better than it was in NHL 18. But more can be done and I'll illustrate that in a future post when I get a chance to dig deeper into the mode this weekend. But without a pretty good franchise mode this game would be hard to buy year in and year out.

I'd never buy another copy again if Franchise goes out. Its the only thing I do. I usually don't start playing online till July August once I'm bored and really its hard to find match ups. I'm not paying to win in HUT.

Just my 2 cents.

If they did stick to their guns, EA would counter by shutting down the servers to that title immediately upon release ofnthe new game.

That would never happen. They keep their servers up for usually the last 3 iterations. Minimum is 2 iterations.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I spent the vast majority of my trial playing offline modes. Matchmaking for this game has been awful the last couple years and once you get into a game, nothing played resembles hockey. At least the CPU, despite it's flaws, plays hockey.

As someone else mentioned above, if it wanst for the added depth to offline modes, completely skipping a year would be a no brainer.