EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th


Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Goalie Facing NHL 20

2Next

Replies

  • jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    This is more of a PSA. Here's how the changes to the way the goalie tracks the puck into the corner are interpreted by me. I think it's way better than previous years when you bounced off the post bubble and punched pucks into your own net.



    The way you face is controlled by where you stand... this gives you full control over how your goalie faces, something we've never had before but needed.

    The post bubble has been removed so now you can stand right next to the post without hugging it. This results in your butt clipping into the post sometimes, but I'm personally willing to sacrifice a little visual immersion for better gameplay. To each their own there.

    See the scenarios within the tweet paired with the screenshots.

    So can you still just butterfly on the goal line and have decent success in that, or has that changed?

    If you're too deep in your net/not in position you're going to get sniped.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    If that's a change EA made, it's about time. But it doesn't solve the issue of goalies allowing far too many goals from the sides where they just can't handle shots from there. I suspect it's also why wraparounds are a bigger problem this year too.

    The issue, and I've said this to Ben before, is that goalies in real life will not necessarily use their pads when the puck is at a sharp angle like that. They will use their sticks which goalies don't do in EA's NHL. When a puck is at a sharp angle like that, a goalie will position his stick so that it's in the way of the line of shot or pass so it can be deflected. Goalies will also actively be searching to cut off shots/pass attempts from those angles. Again, something that doesn't happen in this game.

    The angle at which the goalies would position themselves before was bad, yes. But this doesn't fix the issue.

    Have you played NHL 20 yet? I thought you said in a different thread you weren't buying it and haven't played.

    I've played the BETA enough. And I don't need to play now to see that the problem goalies have with sharp angled shots will still remain. I have enough experience in real life goaltending and with the game to know this.

    Just because I'm not buying doesn't mean I am not interested in how this game evolves. Maybe if the right feedback is given to apply fixes to problems, I might be persuaded to come back. But as it stands now I'm not going to live through the same frustrations we endure year after year. At best I'll definitely come back when the game's in the vault. By that time maybe there are enough fixes that makes it being a human goalie more tolerable?

    I haven't struggled at all with sharp angle shots. These changes were made after the beta so it makes sense that you haven't experienced them yet. It's worth a shot IMO. Gameplay is way way better. Now I don't expect you to take my word for it, but don't be upset when your feedback gets tossed in the trash because I know you're basing it on what you see rather than having actually experienced gameplay your self. That's not meant to be disrespectful, but realize people take your comments at face value without knowing you haven't played, we could get to a point where people are complaining about something that's not actually in the game lol. For example: "This doesn't solve the issue of goalies allowing far too many goals from the sides." This is based on nothing. Especially after the post bubble has been removed, I think you'll find if you're in position it's not an issue. Why steer the conversation in the wrong direction?

    Here's a release about some of the changes for the beta, specifically covers:

    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/245846/nhl-20-goalie-threat-analysis

    I'm putting out a video on all of the changes made to goalie as well, you're going to have to check it out for your selves as I don't plan on posting it on the forums.

    Ok, so maybe these changes are good. Maybe they are helpful. Definitely will check it out for myself at some point, but probably through streams before I spend a single dollar.

    For the bolded part, am I expected to scour the internet to find information because you "don't plan" on posting anything EA related on the official EA forums?

    Don't take this as a personal attack, but my God, every year it just gets better and better with this game. What a joke.

    I think this is the best NHL on new gen, but it's still way too early to say for sure. I don't post on these forums anymore because it's generally toxic and people are here to hate on the game no matter what.

    People feed off of each other's negativity and it turns into attacks rather than productive feedback. I can get a general opinion off of twitter, instagram, and competitive communities without having to deal with the usual suspects over here. While it's my role as a gamechanger to sift through feedback and filter the viable feedback from the counter-productive feedback, i'm by no means an official communication rep for EA. I do my best to communicate what I can, but it's also not my job and I'm not going to put up with the usual harassment gamechangers normally get by people just wanting to blame someone. So if you realllllly want to watch the video you can seek me out on other avenues.

    I heard the mods are doing a great job of cleaning this place up, but the interactions I've had with people here in the past is enough for me to not bother looking.

    Fair enough, I see your point of view. But why not just drop in to post a link, then drop out at the very least? I can't say I agree that you don't want to come here anymore and that you are not a direct representative of EA. You are, imo, a representative of the community as that is what comes with the title of Gamechanger. I also feel that it shouldn't just be as simple as "it's toxic so I am not going there anymore". Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why you feel that way, but cannot endorse that decision because you are a Gamechanger.

    You are free to do as you wish, but I would like to see info posted here as this is the official forum of the product.

    That's fair man. If this is your main source of info I can see why you want more updates here. I think there's over 20 gamechangers now? I don't think many bother looking here anymore. We do represent the community, but there is no rules saying where we have to find our feedback :smile:

    I understand your point. But, to say there are no rules saying where you need to get your info from the community.... I don't know about that one. There is a community here, and dare I say, tons of great suggestions amongst some toxicity.

    I am not trying to bash on you, but jeez, I am questioning some of your responses. But hey, you know, free world and freedom of choice and all that great stuff.

    Anyways, enjoy NHL 20 and I wish you a great season.
  • VeNOM2099
    2605 posts Member
    edited September 13




    Here you go @jonlolol . This is what I'm talking about.

    Yes the goalie is at the correct angle now when there's a shot coming from a sharp angle (that's good!). But they can't handle shots from there. It's been a problem for a long time now in this series and it still isn't addressed. Even worse now is that wraparounds that look like the goalie gets a piece of are going through/under his pads from the side and going in.

    I just don't get it, jon... You call it "being toxic", but when there are legitimate concerns and outcries to fix the problem, how is that a bad thing? How is wanting the game to improve tantamount to hating on the game? Sure there is negativity an animosity at times towards the game. Most of us have been playing this series for a long time and, yes, many of us understand that some things do take time to resolve. But when it's been years and years that the same problems keep rearing their heads, how can we NOT lose our patience??

    Remember when you showed me that compilation of clips of potential issues with the goalies 2 years ago? I was honest and responded to you what I saw as flaws and what I saw as normal.

    I am being honest right now: the goalies, both AI and Human are a problem in this game as they have been for many years now. They are not being allowed to do their job. Are there improvements being made? Of course there are! But none of them change the fundamentals of HOW the goalies work and that's more important to this position than giving us some new mechanic to tide us over. As someone who is part of a great team of players like you are, I don't expect you to come across all the same issues as the rest of us. But you being a Game Changer and a prominent member of the Goalie community we do expect you to communicate our concerns to the devs when you can. When the rest of us who aren't as fortunate in our choice of teams and teammates come across issues, we need to know there's someone we can turn to.

    If you withhold from posting here because of the supposed toxicity of some people's post, then how can we do that?
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

  • jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    edited September 13
    jtricoli wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    Than how do you do cover pucks cause holding triangle barely makes goalie do anything....

    Auto covers do 99% of what you need. If you're a manual cover guy, you have to hold Y and your goalie will drop to butterfly and "search for the puck." If there's a puck in range, your goalie will cover it.

    There's a known issue with the puck being stuck between your legs and your goalie not being able to cover it. It's being looked at by EA so hopefully we can get a fix for it in the near future.

    Jon,

    Good to see you posting this info. Regarding the above, I noticed this issue as well. I’ve had several instances where the pick will be between my legs and slightly behind me (usually sitting right in the goal line) and the manual cover won’t register. Good to hear they are looking into this.

    As far as the general gameplay, it does seem to be more fluid for post play, but the skater puck control is currently off the charts when it comes to dekes. The backhand/forehand/backhand goal is way overpowered. Also, the window of forgiveness from previous years for following the puck seems to be more punishing this time around. Goalie precision speed is still a hair too slow, but this isn’t as bad as the place it usually starts.

    I’m curious to hear about what you think is the most effective way to cover the cross crease pass. I have previously used the two trigger technique and could reliably cover the distance, but for some reason, I’ve noticed that the auto-save animation you mentioned above will kick in if I don’t do it fast enough and my goalie ends up staying in place and only kicks out a leg in the direction of the shot. I’ve had some success with the right stick, but it will more often than not result in putting me out of position. I’ve also had some success with going butterfly early, and sliding over, but I’ll end up getting sniped up high. Can’t win. What are your thoughts?

    Jtric

    The way I have always handled most cross crease attempts is with the LS. I don't really mess with butterfly slides unless I'm either way out of position or if the play is happening in tight and I know I could get a toe on it with the RS. This year is still the same for me:
    First step is to identify the open passing lane/play.
    Second step is to lose depth
    Third step is to time your movement with the pass.

    That still works great for me on cross creases.

    VeNOM2099 wrote: »




    Here you go @jonlolol . This is what I'm talking about.

    Yes the goalie is at the correct angle now when there's a shot coming from a sharp angle (that's good!). But they can't handle shots from there. It's been a problem for a long time now in this series and it still isn't addressed. Even worse now is that wraparounds that look like the goalie gets a piece of are going through/under his pads from the side and going in.

    I just don't get it, jon... You call it "being toxic", but when there are legitimate concerns and outcries to fix the problem, how is that a bad thing? How is wanting the game to improve tantamount to hating on the game? Sure there is negativity an animosity at times towards the game. Most of us have been playing this series for a long time and, yes, many of us understand that some things do take time to resolve. But when it's been years and years that the same problems keep rearing their heads, how can we NOT lose our patience??

    Remember when you showed me that compilation of clips of potential issues with the goalies 2 years ago? I was honest and responded to you what I saw as flaws and what I saw as normal.

    I am being honest right now: the goalies, both AI and Human are a problem in this game as they have been for many years now. They are not being allowed to do their job. Are there improvements being made? Of course there are! But none of them change the fundamentals of HOW the goalies work and that's more important to this position than giving us some new mechanic to tide us over. As someone who is part of a great team of players like you are, I don't expect you to come across all the same issues as the rest of us. But you being a Game Changer and a prominent member of the Goalie community we do expect you to communicate our concerns to the devs when you can. When the rest of us who aren't as fortunate in our choice of teams and teammates come across issues, we need to know there's someone we can turn to.

    If you withhold from posting here because of the supposed toxicity of some people's post, then how can we do that?

    Venom, when you were talking about sharp angle shots in your earlier post, this is not what I thought you meant... I don't know if the person controlling the goalie came off the post themselves or if it came off automatically? That person shouldn't have left the post if they didn't want the puck to hit off their pad and go onto the goal line. Common sense says to remain on the post, hold Y (if using manual covers) to cover it.

    If the goalie came off the post automatically then there's an issue, but it doesn't appear that way.
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    This is more of a PSA. Here's how the changes to the way the goalie tracks the puck into the corner are interpreted by me. I think it's way better than previous years when you bounced off the post bubble and punched pucks into your own net.



    The way you face is controlled by where you stand... this gives you full control over how your goalie faces, something we've never had before but needed.

    The post bubble has been removed so now you can stand right next to the post without hugging it. This results in your butt clipping into the post sometimes, but I'm personally willing to sacrifice a little visual immersion for better gameplay. To each their own there.

    See the scenarios within the tweet paired with the screenshots.

    So can you still just butterfly on the goal line and have decent success in that, or has that changed?

    If you're too deep in your net/not in position you're going to get sniped.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    If that's a change EA made, it's about time. But it doesn't solve the issue of goalies allowing far too many goals from the sides where they just can't handle shots from there. I suspect it's also why wraparounds are a bigger problem this year too.

    The issue, and I've said this to Ben before, is that goalies in real life will not necessarily use their pads when the puck is at a sharp angle like that. They will use their sticks which goalies don't do in EA's NHL. When a puck is at a sharp angle like that, a goalie will position his stick so that it's in the way of the line of shot or pass so it can be deflected. Goalies will also actively be searching to cut off shots/pass attempts from those angles. Again, something that doesn't happen in this game.

    The angle at which the goalies would position themselves before was bad, yes. But this doesn't fix the issue.

    Have you played NHL 20 yet? I thought you said in a different thread you weren't buying it and haven't played.

    I've played the BETA enough. And I don't need to play now to see that the problem goalies have with sharp angled shots will still remain. I have enough experience in real life goaltending and with the game to know this.

    Just because I'm not buying doesn't mean I am not interested in how this game evolves. Maybe if the right feedback is given to apply fixes to problems, I might be persuaded to come back. But as it stands now I'm not going to live through the same frustrations we endure year after year. At best I'll definitely come back when the game's in the vault. By that time maybe there are enough fixes that makes it being a human goalie more tolerable?

    I haven't struggled at all with sharp angle shots. These changes were made after the beta so it makes sense that you haven't experienced them yet. It's worth a shot IMO. Gameplay is way way better. Now I don't expect you to take my word for it, but don't be upset when your feedback gets tossed in the trash because I know you're basing it on what you see rather than having actually experienced gameplay your self. That's not meant to be disrespectful, but realize people take your comments at face value without knowing you haven't played, we could get to a point where people are complaining about something that's not actually in the game lol. For example: "This doesn't solve the issue of goalies allowing far too many goals from the sides." This is based on nothing. Especially after the post bubble has been removed, I think you'll find if you're in position it's not an issue. Why steer the conversation in the wrong direction?

    Here's a release about some of the changes for the beta, specifically covers:

    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/245846/nhl-20-goalie-threat-analysis

    I'm putting out a video on all of the changes made to goalie as well, you're going to have to check it out for your selves as I don't plan on posting it on the forums.

    Ok, so maybe these changes are good. Maybe they are helpful. Definitely will check it out for myself at some point, but probably through streams before I spend a single dollar.

    For the bolded part, am I expected to scour the internet to find information because you "don't plan" on posting anything EA related on the official EA forums?

    Don't take this as a personal attack, but my God, every year it just gets better and better with this game. What a joke.

    I think this is the best NHL on new gen, but it's still way too early to say for sure. I don't post on these forums anymore because it's generally toxic and people are here to hate on the game no matter what.

    People feed off of each other's negativity and it turns into attacks rather than productive feedback. I can get a general opinion off of twitter, instagram, and competitive communities without having to deal with the usual suspects over here. While it's my role as a gamechanger to sift through feedback and filter the viable feedback from the counter-productive feedback, i'm by no means an official communication rep for EA. I do my best to communicate what I can, but it's also not my job and I'm not going to put up with the usual harassment gamechangers normally get by people just wanting to blame someone. So if you realllllly want to watch the video you can seek me out on other avenues.

    I heard the mods are doing a great job of cleaning this place up, but the interactions I've had with people here in the past is enough for me to not bother looking.

    Don't take this personal at all. You don’t come here’s because of the toxicity but Twitter is fine? Twitter is quite toxic as well. What I personally don’t like is how none of the game changers or community managers come to the official forums of the game to talk to us. Game changers take flak is because of the game is currently being played and or changed. Take last year for an example. The game played great. Then a few a tuners and patches down the road and it became like year.

    Now. This years game. One hand tucks that the community isn’t happy about and hasn’t is back with EA retweeting a goal from a game changer scoring one when the community is truly sick of that move. Back skating is still here. I don’t need elaborate on that.

    You say it’s not your job to relay things to EA
    from the community. Then what is the exact point of the “game changers” program? Because to me personally, they haven’t game changed anything and it’s more of a stunt to promote themselves or the game and not actually game change.
    Because the community has truly great ideas for gameplay related reasons, but we feel like we get ignored for the most part because neither the community manger or the game changers come here and talk to on the forums of the game they are associated with. I appreciate @NHLDev coming here and talking with us. I just wish more associated with the game can come and talk to us to.

    Again, please don’t take this personally.

    I think you've completely misinterpreted what I said.
    EASHL Goalie Tips on Youtube
    NHL 17 Goalie Tips Playlist

    EA Sports NHL Gamechanger (Goalies)
  • untouchable_BF1
    231 posts Member
    edited September 13
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    This is more of a PSA. Here's how the changes to the way the goalie tracks the puck into the corner are interpreted by me. I think it's way better than previous years when you bounced off the post bubble and punched pucks into your own net.



    The way you face is controlled by where you stand... this gives you full control over how your goalie faces, something we've never had before but needed.

    The post bubble has been removed so now you can stand right next to the post without hugging it. This results in your butt clipping into the post sometimes, but I'm personally willing to sacrifice a little visual immersion for better gameplay. To each their own there.

    See the scenarios within the tweet paired with the screenshots.

    So can you still just butterfly on the goal line and have decent success in that, or has that changed?

    If you're too deep in your net/not in position you're going to get sniped.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    If that's a change EA made, it's about time. But it doesn't solve the issue of goalies allowing far too many goals from the sides where they just can't handle shots from there. I suspect it's also why wraparounds are a bigger problem this year too.

    The issue, and I've said this to Ben before, is that goalies in real life will not necessarily use their pads when the puck is at a sharp angle like that. They will use their sticks which goalies don't do in EA's NHL. When a puck is at a sharp angle like that, a goalie will position his stick so that it's in the way of the line of shot or pass so it can be deflected. Goalies will also actively be searching to cut off shots/pass attempts from those angles. Again, something that doesn't happen in this game.

    The angle at which the goalies would position themselves before was bad, yes. But this doesn't fix the issue.

    Have you played NHL 20 yet? I thought you said in a different thread you weren't buying it and haven't played.

    I've played the BETA enough. And I don't need to play now to see that the problem goalies have with sharp angled shots will still remain. I have enough experience in real life goaltending and with the game to know this.

    Just because I'm not buying doesn't mean I am not interested in how this game evolves. Maybe if the right feedback is given to apply fixes to problems, I might be persuaded to come back. But as it stands now I'm not going to live through the same frustrations we endure year after year. At best I'll definitely come back when the game's in the vault. By that time maybe there are enough fixes that makes it being a human goalie more tolerable?

    I haven't struggled at all with sharp angle shots. These changes were made after the beta so it makes sense that you haven't experienced them yet. It's worth a shot IMO. Gameplay is way way better. Now I don't expect you to take my word for it, but don't be upset when your feedback gets tossed in the trash because I know you're basing it on what you see rather than having actually experienced gameplay your self. That's not meant to be disrespectful, but realize people take your comments at face value without knowing you haven't played, we could get to a point where people are complaining about something that's not actually in the game lol. For example: "This doesn't solve the issue of goalies allowing far too many goals from the sides." This is based on nothing. Especially after the post bubble has been removed, I think you'll find if you're in position it's not an issue. Why steer the conversation in the wrong direction?

    Here's a release about some of the changes for the beta, specifically covers:

    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/245846/nhl-20-goalie-threat-analysis

    I'm putting out a video on all of the changes made to goalie as well, you're going to have to check it out for your selves as I don't plan on posting it on the forums.

    Ok, so maybe these changes are good. Maybe they are helpful. Definitely will check it out for myself at some point, but probably through streams before I spend a single dollar.

    For the bolded part, am I expected to scour the internet to find information because you "don't plan" on posting anything EA related on the official EA forums?

    Don't take this as a personal attack, but my God, every year it just gets better and better with this game. What a joke.

    I think this is the best NHL on new gen, but it's still way too early to say for sure. I don't post on these forums anymore because it's generally toxic and people are here to hate on the game no matter what.

    People feed off of each other's negativity and it turns into attacks rather than productive feedback. I can get a general opinion off of twitter, instagram, and competitive communities without having to deal with the usual suspects over here. While it's my role as a gamechanger to sift through feedback and filter the viable feedback from the counter-productive feedback, i'm by no means an official communication rep for EA. I do my best to communicate what I can, but it's also not my job and I'm not going to put up with the usual harassment gamechangers normally get by people just wanting to blame someone. So if you realllllly want to watch the video you can seek me out on other avenues.

    I heard the mods are doing a great job of cleaning this place up, but the interactions I've had with people here in the past is enough for me to not bother looking.

    Don't take this personal at all. You don’t come here’s because of the toxicity but Twitter is fine? Twitter is quite toxic as well. What I personally don’t like is how none of the game changers or community managers come to the official forums of the game to talk to us. Game changers take flak is because of the game is currently being played and or changed. Take last year for an example. The game played great. Then a few a tuners and patches down the road and it became like year.

    Now. This years game. One hand tucks that the community isn’t happy about and hasn’t is back with EA retweeting a goal from a game changer scoring one when the community is truly sick of that move. Back skating is still here. I don’t need elaborate on that.

    You say it’s not your job to relay things to EA
    from the community. Then what is the exact point of the “game changers” program? Because to me personally, they haven’t game changed anything and it’s more of a stunt to promote themselves or the game and not actually game change. Because the community has truly great ideas for gameplay related reasons, but we feel like we get ignored for the most part because neither the community manger or the game changers come here and talk to on the forums of the game they are associated with. I appreciate @NHLDev coming here and talking with us. I just wish more associated with the game can come and talk to us to.

    Again, please don’t take this personally.

    Venom brings up legitimate legacy issues with goalies. Anybody who has played this game semi-competively knows that the crease is a problem area for both defenders and goalies when it comes to picking off passes. This leads to unrealistic passes going through the crease to backdoor receivers, and I think calling out that this hasn’t been addressed (or at least it appears so on the surface) is a valid complaint.

    Goalies still don’t seem to be as agile or quick as they should be. Wrap arounds have plagued human goalies since EASHL was a thing, yet they are more than routine for an average high school goalie to save. The position still seems more about sitting in the middle of the net and reading one-timers than it doesn’t actually tracking pucks and playing angles that make sense for the situation.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    587 posts Member
    edited September 13
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    This is more of a PSA. Here's how the changes to the way the goalie tracks the puck into the corner are interpreted by me. I think it's way better than previous years when you bounced off the post bubble and punched pucks into your own net.



    The way you face is controlled by where you stand... this gives you full control over how your goalie faces, something we've never had before but needed.

    The post bubble has been removed so now you can stand right next to the post without hugging it. This results in your butt clipping into the post sometimes, but I'm personally willing to sacrifice a little visual immersion for better gameplay. To each their own there.

    See the scenarios within the tweet paired with the screenshots.

    So can you still just butterfly on the goal line and have decent success in that, or has that changed?

    If you're too deep in your net/not in position you're going to get sniped.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    If that's a change EA made, it's about time. But it doesn't solve the issue of goalies allowing far too many goals from the sides where they just can't handle shots from there. I suspect it's also why wraparounds are a bigger problem this year too.

    The issue, and I've said this to Ben before, is that goalies in real life will not necessarily use their pads when the puck is at a sharp angle like that. They will use their sticks which goalies don't do in EA's NHL. When a puck is at a sharp angle like that, a goalie will position his stick so that it's in the way of the line of shot or pass so it can be deflected. Goalies will also actively be searching to cut off shots/pass attempts from those angles. Again, something that doesn't happen in this game.

    The angle at which the goalies would position themselves before was bad, yes. But this doesn't fix the issue.

    Have you played NHL 20 yet? I thought you said in a different thread you weren't buying it and haven't played.

    I've played the BETA enough. And I don't need to play now to see that the problem goalies have with sharp angled shots will still remain. I have enough experience in real life goaltending and with the game to know this.

    Just because I'm not buying doesn't mean I am not interested in how this game evolves. Maybe if the right feedback is given to apply fixes to problems, I might be persuaded to come back. But as it stands now I'm not going to live through the same frustrations we endure year after year. At best I'll definitely come back when the game's in the vault. By that time maybe there are enough fixes that makes it being a human goalie more tolerable?

    I haven't struggled at all with sharp angle shots. These changes were made after the beta so it makes sense that you haven't experienced them yet. It's worth a shot IMO. Gameplay is way way better. Now I don't expect you to take my word for it, but don't be upset when your feedback gets tossed in the trash because I know you're basing it on what you see rather than having actually experienced gameplay your self. That's not meant to be disrespectful, but realize people take your comments at face value without knowing you haven't played, we could get to a point where people are complaining about something that's not actually in the game lol. For example: "This doesn't solve the issue of goalies allowing far too many goals from the sides." This is based on nothing. Especially after the post bubble has been removed, I think you'll find if you're in position it's not an issue. Why steer the conversation in the wrong direction?

    Here's a release about some of the changes for the beta, specifically covers:

    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/245846/nhl-20-goalie-threat-analysis

    I'm putting out a video on all of the changes made to goalie as well, you're going to have to check it out for your selves as I don't plan on posting it on the forums.

    Ok, so maybe these changes are good. Maybe they are helpful. Definitely will check it out for myself at some point, but probably through streams before I spend a single dollar.

    For the bolded part, am I expected to scour the internet to find information because you "don't plan" on posting anything EA related on the official EA forums?

    Don't take this as a personal attack, but my God, every year it just gets better and better with this game. What a joke.

    I think this is the best NHL on new gen, but it's still way too early to say for sure. I don't post on these forums anymore because it's generally toxic and people are here to hate on the game no matter what.

    People feed off of each other's negativity and it turns into attacks rather than productive feedback. I can get a general opinion off of twitter, instagram, and competitive communities without having to deal with the usual suspects over here. While it's my role as a gamechanger to sift through feedback and filter the viable feedback from the counter-productive feedback, i'm by no means an official communication rep for EA. I do my best to communicate what I can, but it's also not my job and I'm not going to put up with the usual harassment gamechangers normally get by people just wanting to blame someone. So if you realllllly want to watch the video you can seek me out on other avenues.

    I heard the mods are doing a great job of cleaning this place up, but the interactions I've had with people here in the past is enough for me to not bother looking.

    Don't take this personal at all. You don’t come here’s because of the toxicity but Twitter is fine? Twitter is quite toxic as well. What I personally don’t like is how none of the game changers or community managers come to the official forums of the game to talk to us. Game changers take flak is because of the game is currently being played and or changed. Take last year for an example. The game played great. Then a few a tuners and patches down the road and it became like year.

    Now. This years game. One hand tucks that the community isn’t happy about and hasn’t is back with EA retweeting a goal from a game changer scoring one when the community is truly sick of that move. Back skating is still here. I don’t need elaborate on that.

    You say it’s not your job to relay things to EA
    from the community. Then what is the exact point of the “game changers” program? Because to me personally, they haven’t game changed anything and it’s more of a stunt to promote themselves or the game and not actually game change. Because the community has truly great ideas for gameplay related reasons, but we feel like we get ignored for the most part because neither the community manger or the game changers come here and talk to on the forums of the game they are associated with. I appreciate @NHLDev coming here and talking with us. I just wish more associated with the game can come and talk to us to.

    Again, please don’t take this personally.

    Venom brings up legitimate legacy issues with goalies. Anybody who has played this game semi-competively knows that the crease is a problem area for both defenders and goalies when it comes to picking off passes. This leads to unrealistic passes going through the crease to backdoor receivers, and I think calling out that this hasn’t been addressed (or at least it appears so on the surface) is a valid complaint.

    Goalies still don’t seem to be as agile or quick as they should be. Wrap arounds have plagued human goalies since EASHL was a thing, yet they are more than routine for an average high school goalie to save. The position still seems more about sitting in the middle of the net and reading one-timers than it doesn’t actually tracking pucks and playing angles that make sense for the situation.

    I commented on this. Misread it and edited it to this comments so never mind.
  • jonlolol wrote: »
    jtricoli wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    Than how do you do cover pucks cause holding triangle barely makes goalie do anything....

    Auto covers do 99% of what you need. If you're a manual cover guy, you have to hold Y and your goalie will drop to butterfly and "search for the puck." If there's a puck in range, your goalie will cover it.

    There's a known issue with the puck being stuck between your legs and your goalie not being able to cover it. It's being looked at by EA so hopefully we can get a fix for it in the near future.

    Jon,

    Good to see you posting this info. Regarding the above, I noticed this issue as well. I’ve had several instances where the pick will be between my legs and slightly behind me (usually sitting right in the goal line) and the manual cover won’t register. Good to hear they are looking into this.

    As far as the general gameplay, it does seem to be more fluid for post play, but the skater puck control is currently off the charts when it comes to dekes. The backhand/forehand/backhand goal is way overpowered. Also, the window of forgiveness from previous years for following the puck seems to be more punishing this time around. Goalie precision speed is still a hair too slow, but this isn’t as bad as the place it usually starts.

    I’m curious to hear about what you think is the most effective way to cover the cross crease pass. I have previously used the two trigger technique and could reliably cover the distance, but for some reason, I’ve noticed that the auto-save animation you mentioned above will kick in if I don’t do it fast enough and my goalie ends up staying in place and only kicks out a leg in the direction of the shot. I’ve had some success with the right stick, but it will more often than not result in putting me out of position. I’ve also had some success with going butterfly early, and sliding over, but I’ll end up getting sniped up high. Can’t win. What are your thoughts?

    Jtric

    The way I have always handled most cross crease attempts is with the LS. I don't really mess with butterfly slides unless I'm either way out of position or if the play is happening in tight and I know I could get a toe on it with the RS. This year is still the same for me:
    First step is to identify the open passing lane/play.
    Second step is to lose depth
    Third step is to time your movement with the pass.

    That still works great for me on cross creases.

    VeNOM2099 wrote: »




    Here you go @jonlolol . This is what I'm talking about.

    Yes the goalie is at the correct angle now when there's a shot coming from a sharp angle (that's good!). But they can't handle shots from there. It's been a problem for a long time now in this series and it still isn't addressed. Even worse now is that wraparounds that look like the goalie gets a piece of are going through/under his pads from the side and going in.

    I just don't get it, jon... You call it "being toxic", but when there are legitimate concerns and outcries to fix the problem, how is that a bad thing? How is wanting the game to improve tantamount to hating on the game? Sure there is negativity an animosity at times towards the game. Most of us have been playing this series for a long time and, yes, many of us understand that some things do take time to resolve. But when it's been years and years that the same problems keep rearing their heads, how can we NOT lose our patience??

    Remember when you showed me that compilation of clips of potential issues with the goalies 2 years ago? I was honest and responded to you what I saw as flaws and what I saw as normal.

    I am being honest right now: the goalies, both AI and Human are a problem in this game as they have been for many years now. They are not being allowed to do their job. Are there improvements being made? Of course there are! But none of them change the fundamentals of HOW the goalies work and that's more important to this position than giving us some new mechanic to tide us over. As someone who is part of a great team of players like you are, I don't expect you to come across all the same issues as the rest of us. But you being a Game Changer and a prominent member of the Goalie community we do expect you to communicate our concerns to the devs when you can. When the rest of us who aren't as fortunate in our choice of teams and teammates come across issues, we need to know there's someone we can turn to.

    If you withhold from posting here because of the supposed toxicity of some people's post, then how can we do that?

    Venom, when you were talking about sharp angle shots in your earlier post, this is not what I thought you meant... I don't know if the person controlling the goalie came off the post themselves or if it came off automatically? That person shouldn't have left the post if they didn't want the puck to hit off their pad and go onto the goal line. Common sense says to remain on the post, hold Y (if using manual covers) to cover it.

    If the goalie came off the post automatically then there's an issue, but it doesn't appear that way.
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    This is more of a PSA. Here's how the changes to the way the goalie tracks the puck into the corner are interpreted by me. I think it's way better than previous years when you bounced off the post bubble and punched pucks into your own net.



    The way you face is controlled by where you stand... this gives you full control over how your goalie faces, something we've never had before but needed.

    The post bubble has been removed so now you can stand right next to the post without hugging it. This results in your butt clipping into the post sometimes, but I'm personally willing to sacrifice a little visual immersion for better gameplay. To each their own there.

    See the scenarios within the tweet paired with the screenshots.

    So can you still just butterfly on the goal line and have decent success in that, or has that changed?

    If you're too deep in your net/not in position you're going to get sniped.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    jonlolol wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    If that's a change EA made, it's about time. But it doesn't solve the issue of goalies allowing far too many goals from the sides where they just can't handle shots from there. I suspect it's also why wraparounds are a bigger problem this year too.

    The issue, and I've said this to Ben before, is that goalies in real life will not necessarily use their pads when the puck is at a sharp angle like that. They will use their sticks which goalies don't do in EA's NHL. When a puck is at a sharp angle like that, a goalie will position his stick so that it's in the way of the line of shot or pass so it can be deflected. Goalies will also actively be searching to cut off shots/pass attempts from those angles. Again, something that doesn't happen in this game.

    The angle at which the goalies would position themselves before was bad, yes. But this doesn't fix the issue.

    Have you played NHL 20 yet? I thought you said in a different thread you weren't buying it and haven't played.

    I've played the BETA enough. And I don't need to play now to see that the problem goalies have with sharp angled shots will still remain. I have enough experience in real life goaltending and with the game to know this.

    Just because I'm not buying doesn't mean I am not interested in how this game evolves. Maybe if the right feedback is given to apply fixes to problems, I might be persuaded to come back. But as it stands now I'm not going to live through the same frustrations we endure year after year. At best I'll definitely come back when the game's in the vault. By that time maybe there are enough fixes that makes it being a human goalie more tolerable?

    I haven't struggled at all with sharp angle shots. These changes were made after the beta so it makes sense that you haven't experienced them yet. It's worth a shot IMO. Gameplay is way way better. Now I don't expect you to take my word for it, but don't be upset when your feedback gets tossed in the trash because I know you're basing it on what you see rather than having actually experienced gameplay your self. That's not meant to be disrespectful, but realize people take your comments at face value without knowing you haven't played, we could get to a point where people are complaining about something that's not actually in the game lol. For example: "This doesn't solve the issue of goalies allowing far too many goals from the sides." This is based on nothing. Especially after the post bubble has been removed, I think you'll find if you're in position it's not an issue. Why steer the conversation in the wrong direction?

    Here's a release about some of the changes for the beta, specifically covers:

    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/245846/nhl-20-goalie-threat-analysis

    I'm putting out a video on all of the changes made to goalie as well, you're going to have to check it out for your selves as I don't plan on posting it on the forums.

    Ok, so maybe these changes are good. Maybe they are helpful. Definitely will check it out for myself at some point, but probably through streams before I spend a single dollar.

    For the bolded part, am I expected to scour the internet to find information because you "don't plan" on posting anything EA related on the official EA forums?

    Don't take this as a personal attack, but my God, every year it just gets better and better with this game. What a joke.

    I think this is the best NHL on new gen, but it's still way too early to say for sure. I don't post on these forums anymore because it's generally toxic and people are here to hate on the game no matter what.

    People feed off of each other's negativity and it turns into attacks rather than productive feedback. I can get a general opinion off of twitter, instagram, and competitive communities without having to deal with the usual suspects over here. While it's my role as a gamechanger to sift through feedback and filter the viable feedback from the counter-productive feedback, i'm by no means an official communication rep for EA. I do my best to communicate what I can, but it's also not my job and I'm not going to put up with the usual harassment gamechangers normally get by people just wanting to blame someone. So if you realllllly want to watch the video you can seek me out on other avenues.

    I heard the mods are doing a great job of cleaning this place up, but the interactions I've had with people here in the past is enough for me to not bother looking.

    Don't take this personal at all. You don’t come here’s because of the toxicity but Twitter is fine? Twitter is quite toxic as well. What I personally don’t like is how none of the game changers or community managers come to the official forums of the game to talk to us. Game changers take flak is because of the game is currently being played and or changed. Take last year for an example. The game played great. Then a few a tuners and patches down the road and it became like year.

    Now. This years game. One hand tucks that the community isn’t happy about and hasn’t is back with EA retweeting a goal from a game changer scoring one when the community is truly sick of that move. Back skating is still here. I don’t need elaborate on that.

    You say it’s not your job to relay things to EA
    from the community. Then what is the exact point of the “game changers” program? Because to me personally, they haven’t game changed anything and it’s more of a stunt to promote themselves or the game and not actually game change.
    Because the community has truly great ideas for gameplay related reasons, but we feel like we get ignored for the most part because neither the community manger or the game changers come here and talk to on the forums of the game they are associated with. I appreciate @NHLDev coming here and talking with us. I just wish more associated with the game can come and talk to us to.

    Again, please don’t take this personally.

    I think you've completely misinterpreted what I said.

    Have I though? What is the exact point of the game changer program? Wasn’t it to have people come into the studio with feedback from the community to help make the game better? If it’s not then what is the point of it?

  • Thanks for sharing.
  • Call me they Holy Goalie because im about to preach and push the Gospel of Goalie.
    There was a man named Billy Smith, a mad lad, a bad lad, but sometimes a glad lad. When someone dared stray too close to his crease he unleashed satan strikes to the ankle or a blocker blast to the chin. Why isnt this in the game EA? If its in the game..... Well why am i left to fend for myself with only some nifty dance moves. Would this be an actual battle i could swing LA Angel style two handed swinging for the fences at someone. Sure id get a penalty but it would be another poor soul sent to the sin bin. Why are you desperately trying to take the hostility out of hockey? Its a game played by men wearing blades on their feet waving a club in their hands. A little more Satan a little less softie. Let those kids go play Unravel.
  • Call me they Holy Goalie because im about to preach and push the Gospel of Goalie.
    There was a man named Billy Smith, a mad lad, a bad lad, but sometimes a glad lad. When someone dared stray too close to his crease he unleashed satan strikes to the ankle or a blocker blast to the chin. Why isnt this in the game EA? If its in the game..... Well why am i left to fend for myself with only some nifty dance moves. Would this be an actual battle i could swing LA Angel style two handed swinging for the fences at someone. Sure id get a penalty but it would be another poor soul sent to the sin bin. Why are you desperately trying to take the hostility out of hockey? Its a game played by men wearing blades on their feet waving a club in their hands. A little more Satan a little less softie. Let those kids go play Unravel.

    LOL, I got a genuinely good laugh out of this, thanks man. The uh, "color commentary" was hilarious :smiley:
  • Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this,
    Is it a fact you can’t change your Goalie once the Game has started? I can’t seem to find it. Can you even change between periods In Online Verses? I can’t find that either. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thank You.
  • Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this,
    Is it a fact you can’t change your Goalie once the Game has started? I can’t seem to find it. Can you even change between periods In Online Verses? I can’t find that either. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thank You.

    Sorry to say this, but yes, this is the wrong place for your question. You have essentially hijacked someone else's thread.

    You should start your own thread as this will most likely get you more help that way.

    Far as I know, you cannot switch out your goalie as people were doing this in the past to glitch out games for a cheap win. I could be wrong, but from what I remember that is why you cannot switch out your goalie anymore.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!