EA Forums - Banner

just wondering if anyone likes this game?

2Next

Replies

• Yes I like it.
  • MooseHunter10
    403 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    My main complaint is about the 1 handed behind the back no look pass interceptions. 19 if you could put the pass behind the defenders heels, you knew it was a good pass. The risk/reward gap between trying to skate through a team vs pass through a team is way off. Can still curl around all day, but if its not a saucer pass off the boards, a drop pass, or an irrelevant pass, seems you're better off dangling. I dont know if Playmaker is better on release, but it didnt do anything for me in beta.
    Other than that, Im enjoying that Im not forced to be a tiny dancer in 6s this year, tho Sniper/Dangler are again the BEST BACKCHECKERS, which is dumb, and probably has me playing as them most the year for their TWO WAY PLAY!

suggestion: remove the speed bonus from Dangler/Sniper, and let them live on Accel and Agility.
    EASHL player
  • So after vowing to swear off this NHL until Black Friday, my lovely wife gave me a $50 psn gift card for our anniversary to grab NHL, so I did.

I immediately hopped into HUT and Squad Battles and I really enjoy it. This mode might really help keep me playing because theres actual offline incentive to keep playing after a couple months.

Online dropin, my #2 mode, has been a crapshoot for me. I can never seem to find full lobbies and when I actually get into gameplay it's been subpar imo. The gameplay feels way to quick, not that it's a bad thing, I probably need more than 5 games to adjust. But because the gameplay has been so quick I've been overskating my desired locations, or overturned my angles and missed interceptions as a result etc...

Passing as DDman is very difficult so I switched to TWD but now that I've tweaked my defensive stick, poking and hitting are very difficult to master.

Games vs the CPU on the other hand feel great. Since tinkering with my router, strategies etc, I've found a very good consistency in games. Occasional the CPU will go into God mode but it feels less this severe than 19s.

Little things are really annoying me like "failed to retrieve data", I've only had one or two disconnects from EA server, error codes inside of HUT ... legacy issues that will forever haunt me. And now the Belleville Bulls audio that I just cant seem to shake lol.

Overall I'm not blown away but satisfied with the game.
    • New attributes (would have liked some more tho)
    • Weekly Challenges. I like this and it makes me try other things in the game (modes) that I would not have ordinarily (Pro Am for example).
    • Basic gameplay: shooting, skating, checking, pickups, etc. seem improved for the most part. Aside from the apparent speed boost (see below) the game feels really good.
    • Visuals. I have heard complaints about shadows in some rinks but I will say overall I like the visual improvements

Dislikes
    Aside from some technical issues that I will assume are bugs and not design problems ( unable to find players to play with, buggy lobby issues etc):
    • My current pet peeve which i hope is temporary but its SO bad I needed to mention it: Trouble finding games/players. Every time I do matchmaking the number of players is "low". Like ALWAYS. Is this accurate? What is it based on/how is it calculated? Tho tbh based on how difficult its been to find a game in any mode, I have to think its more or less accurate sadly. It is my current number one issue playing this game/ It doesnt seem to matter what mode I try either. I have actually wandered off to play something else for this reason.
    • I feel the game now plays *too* fast. It's now like playing vs where the speed has been cranked up. Maybe I am getting too old, but I find it more difficult to play the game strategically.
    • I used to enjoy playing "3s" as it was but the new "Battle Royale" mode makes it painful. It would be nice to have the option to just play the old style if I just want to play a few games. There was also an issue finding players but that could just be an issue with what appears to be an all-time low number of people playing this game.
    • One-timers: Smaller issue but I thought this was supposed to be "fixed" this year. I am still whiffing on some easy 1Ts which I am not all that happy about, but it could be something I am doing...?
    • Charging is the new slash/trip. I am seeing a LOT more charging calls this year. Has there been a change to how this is calculated? It seems disproportionate and perhaps its "by the book" but its certainly not being called as to how it is IRL.
    • Still no anti-griefing measures.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    • New attributes (would have liked some more tho)
    • Weekly Challenges. I like this and it makes me try other things in the game (modes) that I would not have ordinarily (Pro Am for example).
    • Basic gameplay: shooting, skating, checking, pickups, etc. seem improved for the most part. Aside from the apparent speed boost (see below) the game feels really good.
    • Visuals. I have heard complaints about shadows in some rinks but I will say overall I like the visual improvements

Dislikes
    Aside from some technical issues that I will assume are bugs and not design problems ( unable to find players to play with, buggy lobby issues etc):
    • My current pet peeve which i hope is temporary but its SO bad I needed to mention it: Trouble finding games/players. Every time I do matchmaking the number of players is "low". Like ALWAYS. Is this accurate? What is it based on/how is it calculated? Tho tbh based on how difficult its been to find a game in any mode, I have to think its more or less accurate sadly. It is my current number one issue playing this game/ It doesnt seem to matter what mode I try either. I have actually wandered off to play something else for this reason.
    • I feel the game now plays *too* fast. It's now like playing vs where the speed has been cranked up. Maybe I am getting too old, but I find it more difficult to play the game strategically.
    • I used to enjoy playing "3s" as it was but the new "Battle Royale" mode makes it painful. It would be nice to have the option to just play the old style if I just want to play a few games. There was also an issue finding players but that could just be an issue with what appears to be an all-time low number of people playing this game.
    • One-timers: Smaller issue but I thought this was supposed to be "fixed" this year. I am still whiffing on some easy 1Ts which I am not all that happy about, but it could be something I am doing...?
    • Charging is the new slash/trip. I am seeing a LOT more charging calls this year. Has there been a change to how this is calculated? It seems disproportionate and perhaps its "by the book" but its certainly not being called as to how it is IRL.
    • Still no anti-griefing measures.

- I think the "low" player numbers is just a glitch. Last year when it said LOW, it also said it would take over 1m30s to find a match. Now it says LOW / 30s, so...?

- Game is insanely fast! Holy crap but this year they seemed to have cranked it up to 11. I guess they took it to heart when people complained about skating in mud/too slow. Now everyone has rocket skates.. ugh!

- My only issue with the one timers is not the success rate, but the accuracy. Yes there should be fewer whiffed attempts, but they shouldn't always hit the corners with such pin-point accuracy. This year it's even worse with one-timers finding the back of the net if they connect, which is most of the time. I saw an NHL game a few days ago, just in the power-play alone there were 6 one timer attempts and only ONE actually hit the net... And the goalie made an easy save on top of it. In this game 6 one timer attempts equals 6 easy goals.

- Not "charging" per se, but slamming into the goalie is still a viable way to score. Sometimes it will get called (usually when a player barely brushes by the goalie) and other times it will go ignored, especially when there was a blatant collision while the goalie is trying to make a save.

- AI are still broken in every mode. Tape-to-tape rocket passes, from any angle, any position. Barely any animations to their actions; I saw a shot from an AI, on the backhand no less, the puck left his stick before he even started to move it, and the power/accuracy of the shot didn't even bother to match the motion. On the flip side, the AI chasing the puck on defense leaving open players in front of the net or crashing into you while YOU are in perfect position. Your AI offense not knowing how to set up on a breakout or turning around/going the wrong way when you pass to them.

- Goalies are a joke at any difficulty level. Superstar goalies giving up 9-10 goals per game on like 20 shots and always on the same type of shot over and over again? LOL!! So much for the "improved" tendys. Should've just left them be like NHL 19... They were bad, but at least not NHL 20 bad. Oh my days!
  • Everyone who says "Eh" after a question likes this game.
  • The game has many improvements that I love including new shot animations and goalie save animations, and no overpowered glitch goals that I’ve noticed yet. But the pass interceptions are atrocious. People on here saying you need to create space. True. But even when you do create space and make a good pass, a defender skating the opposite direction reaches backwards as far as he can to intercept it. And if this happened occasionally, fine, but it happens a TON. Almost makes eashl unplayable
  • Everyone who says "Eh" after a question likes this game.

Just out of curiosity, but, what does a realOG find interesting about hockey? What is it about this game that makes you want to play it?
  • I like it. But it is easier than last year. Im 10-0-0 in my franschise playing every game in full sim hardest difficulty. My team is not great and it is not that i score a a lot. AVG around 3. My goalie is an 82 ish but the ai cant seem to score on him. Guess ill have to play with the sliders? Any suggestions?