EA Forums - Banner

Video proof that pass interceptions are indeed broken

Prev1
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkADVMOwpke8wQdDlDCBkSTiLe-1

In this 1st clip I've got 2 defending players facing the wrong direction and the guy who intercepts reaches out with one hand on his backhand and intercepts in cleanly.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkADVMOwpke8wQkaFINMS-SLOcLR

In this clip I'm doing a slap pass to a teammate positioned in front of the net. The defender is drifting away from him and his player auto reached across his body on his backhand and picks in cleanly as if it were magnetic. If he's going to have the reflexes of a puma then the puck shouldn't stick to his tape so clean in this situation.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkADVMOwpke8wQgKFgY3wgyaI-0C

Easily the most egregious of the 3. There no doubt that this is objectively bad. Guy again is out of position, reaching one handed on the back hand and cleanly picks it off when the puck is CLEARLY by him already. I would love for a dev to chime in on this one because there's simply no justifying it. This kind of non-sense punishes good passing plays and rewards poor positioning.

These 3 instances show just a microcosm of why this game is so frustrating to play at the moment. Why are we against good passing plays and team play EA?

Replies

• Absolutely agree. This alone makes it pretty much unplayable yet it's just one of many fundamental issues which reduces the skill gap to bosons.
  • It makes you wonder what EA has been doing all year since 19.
  • Ugh. That 3rd one was horrendous.
    Visit my NHL/Bruins blog: BostonPucks.com
  • I'd argue the 1st example is passable. The other 2, especially the 3rd are clear examples of interceptions being too strong. I felt they were just fine in 19.
  • I think the first gets through every time. If he sends it at a reasonable speed, no way that guy reaches out and picks it on his backhand being in the position he is.
  • I think the first gets through every time. If he sends it at a reasonable speed, no way that guy reaches out and picks it on his backhand being in the position he is.

The replay doesn't really do it proper justice but I had some pepper on that puck. No way he picks it that clean one handed on the backhand given his position.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    It makes you wonder what EA has been doing all year since 19.

Since 19?! Makes you wonder what the developers have been doing since nhl 15

• That last one is laughably embarrassing. I can see how #1 could happen on rare occasions, #2 should never happen ever and #3 is just a major joke
  • The 3rd one should have been a clean pass. The other 2 you're trying to make bad passes through defenders and maybe they shouldnt be picked so cleanly but at least easily knocked away.
  • Thats realistic hockey right there....

ya only if i was developing a game on shrooms
  • The 3rd one should have been a clean pass. The other 2 you're trying to make bad passes through defenders and maybe they shouldnt be picked so cleanly but at least easily knocked away.

That's the missing feature right there. It's great that EA has tried to make forcing passes through opponents less rewarding, but cleanly picking off passes should be less common than disrupting the pass by deflecting it away. The one-handed reaches that snag the puck are especially unrealistic looking.

Like this one. Reaches out and back one-handed, somehow snags the puck and pulls it back to himself still one-handed and then the puck does some kind of magic triangle to get onto his stick again.

But then you get other scenarios where the game chooses an interception animation that actually prevents you from picking off the pass. Here I'm in a good spot to pick off the pass. My stick is between the puck and the intended target but the game goes into an animation that decides I'm going to try to get the puck on the wrong side of the opponent allowing him to get a shot off.

• I have no problem with the first one.

The second one would make more sense if the shot was blocked on the forehand and on the backhand, no way the puck gets swelled up like that.

Third one is straight terrible. The only way I can explain it is theres a latency problem otherwise it's impossible.
  • It’s probably something they can’t fix so they will just keep rolling out the game and say your video proof is just an anomaly and not typical in-game play.
  • phil7488 wrote: »
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkADVMOwpke8wQdDlDCBkSTiLe-1

In this 1st clip I've got 2 defending players facing the wrong direction and the guy who intercepts reaches out with one hand on his backhand and intercepts in cleanly.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkADVMOwpke8wQkaFINMS-SLOcLR

In this clip I'm doing a slap pass to a teammate positioned in front of the net. The defender is drifting away from him and his player auto reached across his body on his backhand and picks in cleanly as if it were magnetic. If he's going to have the reflexes of a puma then the puck shouldn't stick to his tape so clean in this situation.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkADVMOwpke8wQgKFgY3wgyaI-0C

Easily the most egregious of the 3. There no doubt that this is objectively bad. Guy again is out of position, reaching one handed on the back hand and cleanly picks it off when the puck is CLEARLY by him already. I would love for a dev to chime in on this one because there's simply no justifying it. This kind of non-sense punishes good passing plays and rewards poor positioning.

These 3 instances show just a microcosm of why this game is so frustrating to play at the moment. Why are we against good passing plays and team play EA?

These kinds of plays will not help with getting players to move the puck around. Just makes people want to hog the puck. Definitely needs to be looked at and adjusted.
  • But then you get other scenarios where the game chooses an interception animation that actually prevents you from picking off the pass. Here I'm in a good spot to pick off the pass. My stick is between the puck and the intended target but the game goes into an animation that decides I'm going to try to get the puck on the wrong side of the opponent allowing him to get a shot off.

I've been afraid to mention this, as I thought it was a personal bias, but Im seeing it here; L2 is worse for interceptions. If you were skating normally like the offensive player who received the pass, I bet you would've picked it off. Punished for doing everything right.
    EASHL player

The 3rd one speaks for itself but I wouldn't call the 1st two "bad" passes. Theres a feasible lane on the 1st one given the defenders positioning and a slap pass on the 2nd one is a good play as the guy parked in front has good stick positioning. Theres no way they should be getting picked this clean. It allows them to immediately turn it up the ice and go the other way when it shouldn't be. They just need to tune the interceptions a bit.
  • I've been afraid to mention this, as I thought it was a personal bias, but Im seeing it here; L2 is worse for interceptions. If you were skating normally like the offensive player who received the pass, I bet you would've picked it off. Punished for doing everything right.

Using L2 defensively to square up to the play has been terrible for a couple of years now. At least in NHL 20 my guy was able to keep his stick on the ice so there's been some improvement. In previous years using L2 to square up to the play would put your player in a skating animation where he's holding his stick up at his waist making defending a pass impossible.

And you're right. I suspect that if I had my back to the play but was skating "normally" I'd have picked off that pass. It's bonkers.

• GramerProfesur
    538 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    The problem you guys are failing to realize that regardless if it’s a bad pass or not, there shouldn’t be an immediate pick up and the play going the other way. I don’t have a problem with the defender reaching his stick out but that causes a deflection in real hockey life

That being said defense sucks in this game so I’m not that upset about it if the turnover is from a forward. If that’s a pass at the blue line from a dman frick right off
  • And that explains why the game speed is so back and forth. Rush down to one end, quickly comes back, again and again.
  • If the 1st one is a bad pass, I don't know what kind of drugs I've been on while watching all these years of hockey.