EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

EA Advantage (aka, ice-tilt)

2Next

Replies

• rogers2487 wrote: »
    Considering they have highlights focused on "Momentum Swings" and have had handicap sliders in the game before, it's not a stretch to assume they are still using them. It's clear as day how inconsistant the game can be just try to do a simple deak in open ice when no one's around, so your ruling out every human variable on both teams, some.games you will execute the move perfectly others you will flub the puck around and lose it for no reason at all everytime. There is no expalination for the variance between games, but it is there clear as day. Goalies are inconsistant and not even for each team, and everyone is sharing the same "delution" that when they are tilted they have 40 shots and 1 goal to 5 shots but are losing 4-1, hit 10 posts, pucks falling off sticks ect.

To dismiss that as someone just being better focusing and learning is nonsense, "Random" things happen that has nothing to do with the user input. So their skill or my skill is irrelevant when the programming decides i miss a shot or dont pick up a loose puck or when the puck just randomly falls off my stick, it's clearly manipulation of the game programming, from the AI to glitch shots to what makes a guy with 84 speed catch up to a guy with 96 speed and be able to stick check them from 4 feet behind them.

You can't attribute user skill to something the user has no control over and its those things that seem to always be in one team or the others favor we call it ice tilt EA calls it momentum/intimidation, but it is real and it does flip in favor of each team at times, it's noticeable when it does. But the limited information on what controls it

It never feels like there is a separation between an 84 player and 96 player.
  • rogers2487 wrote: »
    Considering they have highlights focused on "Momentum Swings" and have had handicap sliders in the game before, it's not a stretch to assume they are still using them. It's clear as day how inconsistant the game can be just try to do a simple deak in open ice when no one's around, so your ruling out every human variable on both teams, some.games you will execute the move perfectly others you will flub the puck around and lose it for no reason at all everytime. There is no expalination for the variance between games, but it is there clear as day. Goalies are inconsistant and not even for each team, and everyone is sharing the same "delution" that when they are tilted they have 40 shots and 1 goal to 5 shots but are losing 4-1, hit 10 posts, pucks falling off sticks ect.

To dismiss that as someone just being better focusing and learning is nonsense, "Random" things happen that has nothing to do with the user input. So their skill or my skill is irrelevant when the programming decides i miss a shot or dont pick up a loose puck or when the puck just randomly falls off my stick, it's clearly manipulation of the game programming, from the AI to glitch shots to what makes a guy with 84 speed catch up to a guy with 96 speed and be able to stick check them from 4 feet behind them.

You can't attribute user skill to something the user has no control over and its those things that seem to always be in one team or the others favor we call it ice tilt EA calls it momentum/intimidation, but it is real and it does flip in favor of each team at times, it's noticeable when it does. But the limited information on what controls it

It never feels like there is a separation between an 84 player and 96 player.

My gripe with this is that no matter who's on the ice, it doesn't matter. You don't really feel it when Ovechkin is on the ice compared to say... Crosby or Matthews or McDavid. They're just another player with high stats. And you could just as easily score 5 goals with Joe NHL rated 84 overall than with any of those players I just mentioned. And he play EXACTLY the same way, indistinguishable from the other 9 guys on the ice, except for his jersey number and the name above his head.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• I'm not sure if it's "tilt" or what it is, but it was a strange coincidence. I'm up 2-0 going into the 3rd period. Up to this point, not one penalty was called. Suddenly, 5 penalties are called against me in the 3rd period. For the exact same things I was doing in the first two periods. Convenient, because both goals scored by the other team were Power Play goals. hmmm....
  • Steven5470 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's "tilt" or what it is, but it was a strange coincidence. I'm up 2-0 going into the 3rd period. Up to this point, not one penalty was called. Suddenly, 5 penalties are called against me in the 3rd period. For the exact same things I was doing in the first two periods. Convenient, because both goals scored by the other team were Power Play goals. hmmm....

This has been part and parcel for as long as I can remember. Let me guess it usually starts like this.

3rd period opening face off you cannot win, try defending all the way back into your own zone to which either they score or you stop them but results in a tripping call most likely.

Of course that pp you lose the draw, even if you tie the AI up, ( which your players always stand there and never go for the contested draw ) and they end up scoring?
  • normanethan
    23 posts Member
    edited September 21
    It's so rigged it's crazy and the rebounding is beyond annoying. We were just up 3-1 with 35 seconds left and we couldn't get the puck because God mode and 3 long shots and 3 perfect rebounds with insta reactions and they won in regulation 4-3. Absurd.
  • StuffedRacer385
    57 posts Member
    edited September 21
    I believe the problem is a combination of everything.
    • Catchup/keep close logic. You easily go up early and struggle the rest of the game. Or you totally dominate the whole game and the opposing goalie is godlike until the last 5min where if you get one you for sure get a couple more.
    • DDA. Very evident in offline games where nothing works against a pro bronze team and when replaying it is much easier. I also think Money spent on packs can be a factor.
    • Momentum. After scoring a goal either you or the opponent slides like a knife through butter through the defence to score a "scripted" goal on the very next shift. A lot of garbage goals is scored at the end of the periods.
    • Network issues. obviously have a great impact if you have high latency to the servers or if the servers have performance problems.
    • Matchups. After winning/losing streaks you get matchups accordingly.
    • Code issues. I think the game engine sucks and it probably gets worse every year where they add/patch logic to a bad core. Lag compensation is probably bad.

When all of these factors happen to be against you, you can forget about having a fun time with this game. Some players suffer more than others for some reason.

When EA says DDA/Tilt does not exist i think it´s very hard to believe. For me, it does not matter if it´s in the game unintentionally or not because for a lot of players it is a problem that EA should take seriously and address.

Right now i suffer from a problem i have had a lot the last couple of years where i only get to play opponents from Finland and my team is very hard to control because they are skating in mud and so on. I live in Stockholm and have 4-5ms ping to the servers. No packet loss or anything, just an extremely bad experience.

[socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • jake19ny
    646 posts Member
    edited September 21
    I don’t think games have predetermined outcomes and I’m not convinced 1 team is intentionally picked to get a disadvantage. I think it’s more of an RNG type thing and some things are connection related.

Connection related to player speed and poor reaction by the user controlled player.

The other stuff may just be randomly generated. Like when we complain about dominating and taking great shots on great scoring chances only to be denied. Then your opponent gets only 2 weak shots on net and 1 goes in.....this may be a random number generated based on time of attack. In a way that being part of the game is intentional but if you dominate time on attack and take 17 shots in a period and 5-6 go in do you think for second that 90% of your opponents wouldn’t rage quit? Once that happened to them 5 games in a row do you think they are going to play anymore or buy packs? So it makes sense that it’s randomly generated based on time of attack instead of on the quality or quantity of scoring chances. When your opponent only has a minute of attack time and 3 shots then that would make sense why 1 or 2 of those, no matter how weak or lame, go in.

Likewise the AI play seems so random. Your goalie can be amazing 1 game and abysmal the next. Your AI teammates smart and aggressive 1 game and useless the next. It’s not predetermined just randomly generated to keep people with otherwise less skill in games. Maximizes engagement and stimulates pack sales.
  • headup81
    95 posts Member
    edited September 21
    • Catchup/keep close logic. You easily go up early and struggle the rest of the game. Or you totally dominate the whole game and the opposing goalie is godlike until the last 5min where if you get one you for sure get a couple more.
    • DDA. Very evident in offline games where nothing works against a pro bronze team and when replaying it is much easier. I also think Money spent on packs can be a factor.
    • Momentum. After scoring a goal either you or the opponent slides like a knife through butter through the defence to score a "scripted" goal on the very next shift. A lot of garbage goals is scored at the end of the periods.
    • Network issues. obviously have a great impact if you have high latency to the servers or if the servers have performance problems.
    • Code issues. I think the game engine sucks and it probably gets worse every year where they add/patch logic to a bad core. Lag compensation is probably bad.

When all of these factors happen to be against you, you can forget about having a fun time with this game. Some players suffer more than others for some reason.

When EA says DDA/Tilt does not exist i think it´s very hard to believe. For me, it does not matter if it´s in the game unintentionally or not because for a lot of players it is a problem that EA should take seriously and address.

Right now i suffer from a problem i have had a lot the last couple of years where i only get to play opponents from Finland and my team is very hard to control because they are skating in mud and so on. I live in Stockholm and have 4-5ms ping to the servers. No packet loss or anything, just an extremely bad experience.

[socair - edited quote]

Quite frankly the game is the definition of dynamic difficulty and it one the best examples of how dynamic difficulty is used in modern gaming.

It’s not about winning or losing, its about how hard is it going to be to beat the AI. Skill will win but it should never be more difficult to beat a weak opponent. Players need to learn how to be skilled the hard way and be accountable for their poor play. This is the wrong way to look at gaming. More so if you want to be an Esports title.

If you don’t believe this be the case I’d love for someone to describe to me how a hockey video game would play if it had dynamic difficulty. Nobody has been able to in 2 years.
    Post edited by Socair on
  • jake19ny
    646 posts Member
    edited September 21
    headup81 wrote: »

Right now i suffer from a problem i have had a lot the last couple of years where i only get to play opponents from Finland and my team is very hard to control because they are skating in mud and so on. I live in Stockholm and have 4-5ms ping to the servers. No packet loss or anything, just an extremely **** experience.

Quite frankly the game is the definition of dynamic difficulty and it one the best examples of how dynamic difficulty is used in modern gaming.

It’s not about winning or losing, its about how hard is it going to be to beat the AI. Skill will win but it should never be more difficult to beat a weak opponent. Players need to learn how to be skilled the hard way and be accountable for their poor play. This is the wrong way to look at gaming. More so if you want to be an Esports title.

If you don’t believe this be the case I’d love for someone to describe to me how a hockey video game would play if it had dynamic difficulty. Nobody has been able to in 2 years.

Ideally online games would be decided by who played the best game. Not who’s AI played the best game as is often the case in this game.

Individual skill followed by the make up of the team should be the only factors in how games play out and we all know that’s not case. Random events out of user control take the wheel and user skill and team make up take a back seat.

I’m not saying that extremely skilled players or those that have mastered the cheese can’t overcome those random events but for the vast majority of gamers it leaves a large portion of the community frustrated.
  • StuffedRacer385
    57 posts Member
    edited September 21
    I played a couple of games today where my team was skating in mud and had input delay and the opponent team was agile and aggressive. I put everything on defensive settings and immediately switched to the last man back all the time. As soon as i tried to switch to another player it switched to someone going in the wrong direction than were the play actually happened, also my players could not ever close the gap or gain some space. So, as soon as i crossed the red line i was dumping the puck in and switched to the last man back again unless i really hade a two on one or a breakaway. My opponents basically had to play against a really bad AI but the opponents was so weak that they could not overcome that so in all three games i got some weak goals in the end to get the win. It was just an experiment and i did not enjoy the wins but i guess you can overcome the bad gameplay by playing like a jerk. But since i was not really playing hockey in a hockey game i don't really see why i should continue playing while this is going on.

[Socair - edited for profanity]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Gameplay in the offline mode is horrible. I agree with everything that the main comment states, and along when passes are present, they just go in a completely opposite direction then you aimed in.

Let's take offline mode like Franchise as an example. This is what I have found to still be happening. While testing the game if i notice a significant difference in the gameplay against a single team like the Leafs where everything is happening as it was previously explained by Confusion2000. Just before the end of the 3rd period, I'll turn off the app and turn it back on so that it does not automatically simulate and I can replay same match. I will notice the same issue even if the strategies were changed so, I will go through the entire process again. This issue was consistent in 19 tries in the same match. I can't even tell you the exact number of different matches I did this with to come to the conclusion that the developers are responsible for this as they have no idea how to make the game competitive.

What I have also found to be consistent with this franchise is your AI teammates. They give you even less support if you customize the sliders to balance them against the opposing AI. They'll simply just skate away from their opponent for no reason whatsoever and let them score. 2 on 1 is even worse as your teammate will simply just fall back to the blue line instead of charging the net. On a breakaway my opponent miraculously has a 45' reach that is able to take my shot away where I have a hard enough of a time taking their shot away at 2'. Let's not even talk about how I receive a penalty every time I try even with penalties scaled down. I can't even pickup the puck as I am skating right over top of it.

My favorite is when I get the puck and my own AI runs into me which makes me lose posession of the puck. This happens to me constantly yet I never see it happen to the opposing AI. Hm, I wonder why? Like I mentioned before, developers have no idea how to make this game competitive.

The most balanced part of the game is the opposing AI. Their sliders are left alone yet they are playing without a flaw. Every pass is fast and precise, they skate faster and get in position quicker, they can still play the puck while being forechecked, their success rate is ridiculous when pokecheking/blocking/lifting the stick on first try when compared to your own and list goes on.

This game is even more unbalanced then ever before as there are so many more issues. They created these forums yet refuse to actually listen to what community keeps asking for by delivering us their same broken game year after year. They've managed to take all the fun out of hockey with ridiculous algorithm that they are responsible for.
  • Synergy :)
  • You mean those lovely opening period face off goals where your AI gets dumbed down so the comp or your online opponent can score ? Ice tilt ? Dymanic difficulty adjustment ? I can't possibly see there could be such a thing. :wink: