EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Threes

Threes seems to be being pushed as the future of competitive gaming in NHL (like it or not) it's fast paced, exciting, and flashy. I'd like to give my 2 cents on the mode and have others pitch in.. maybe the devs will read.

Things that need added/ fixed
1. Private matches. In 19 we could set up private matches with friends (unfortunately it was only to 5) bring this back AND let us choose rules!
2. Changing rules! Playing to 7 is fine.. with money pucks is not. You can win after only 3 goals.. I would suggest removing money pucks OR allowing clubs to choose their own rules when playing at home. The options could be set in the club edit hub.
3. Less CPUs!!! There needs to be an effort to get rid of as many CPU players in all modes! First, make them worse and easy fix would just be to lower their raw attributes. Second change would be to add more stats, have players show Free Agent (FA) or their club next to their name in stats (also sort by position again) if a free agent is looking for a club let clubs who are looking for skaters see who is interested! Add time availability, playstyle etc. To their profile.
4. Freezing between games. I love the tournament style that was added (although I'm well aware there is no real tournament and when the player population drops you'll likely never be able to play any finals games..) but I've had errors before finals COUNTLESS times! It's unbelievable!!
5. Goalies! This is one area I'm unsure of and I'm sure most people would dispute too. I think it would be interesting to have human goalies in this mode maybe add a fours and threes If not.. I would also be ok with the CPU (but it would hurt the game if they really are wanting this mode to be competitive) if they keep cpu's they really need to adjust how good/bad they play. I've had games where the opp goalie stops nearly everything and ours let's soft goals trickle in through the 5 hole (I've also had the opposite so I'm not suggesting mine is always worse) if we keep CPU goalies let us edit them. Maybe I want a specific build!
6. People falling in the puck and not being able to get it.

What's good?
1. Pass int- while it became way too strong in EASHL it's almost perfect in threes (I would make it a hair better)
2. Gameplay- the gameplay in this mode is great, I feel like I can play D but it's still offensive and fast, it's just such a good mix of fun, strategy, and competitiveness.
3. Clubs/ dropins- Having clubs and dropins playing against each other makes things interesting and doesn't split the player base. It's awesome to see my team in their jerseys, it's also awesome to see other clubs.

I may add more, I'm getting tired and can't think of everything else I wanted to add. Anyone else think of anything or have comments on what I added? I think NHL is REALLY trying to get into the gaming world and I watched a bit of last year's tournament but I REALLY think they need a team tournament instead of a 1v1 tournament. I would love to watch threes, or 6's with the best of the best clubs.

Replies

• the mode is awful if you actually like hockey. This game gets further and further from wanting anyone to play anything that resembles hockey.
  • Thanks for the feedback, especially the comment about having clubs playing against drop-in to reduce the sharding of the matchmaking pools. Perhaps that something we could look to extend to the other club modes in the future for more casual play to try to find and recruit players for your club.
  • Get rid of 3s. My vote.
  • mikeq67 wrote: »
    the mode is awful if you actually like hockey. This game gets further and further from wanting anyone to play anything that resembles hockey.

I've never played real hockey, it's definitely not very popular in NE Ohio. however, the game has really got me interested in the sport. I really enjoy 6s when all my friends are online but it's always hard for everyone's schedules to allow for that and I hate playing with ANY CPU players. Threes is an easy mode for me and 2 others to jump into and have a chill night playing and having fun. It's rapid scoring and in 20 you can play some solid defense! It may not be like "real hockey" but I believe it's EA's way of replicating what 2k basketball is doing. Despite the microtransactions 2k is destroying every other sports game. It's a very well made game and producers are smart to take what they can from their success. Threes is like the park and eashl is the proam. Both are fun, both are completely different!

I get if you don't like threes and if it's far from real hockey but there are a lot of people playing the mode. If it's fun for people then it's worth working on. Was blitz or NFL street like real football? NO! But people enjoyed it. Personally I dunno the numbers of people who play ones but I could care less for that mode. Eashl 3's just has too many people ragging the puck due to all the space and inability to hit people. I could do without either of those modes but that's just me.
  • mikeq67 wrote: »
    the mode is awful if you actually like hockey. This game gets further and further from wanting anyone to play anything that resembles hockey.

I've never played real hockey, it's definitely not very popular in NE Ohio. however, the game has really got me interested in the sport. I really enjoy 6s when all my friends are online but it's always hard for everyone's schedules to allow for that and I hate playing with ANY CPU players. Threes is an easy mode for me and 2 others to jump into and have a chill night playing and having fun. It's rapid scoring and in 20 you can play some solid defense! It may not be like "real hockey" but I believe it's EA's way of replicating what 2k basketball is doing. Despite the microtransactions 2k is destroying every other sports game. It's a very well made game and producers are smart to take what they can from their success. Threes is like the park and eashl is the proam. Both are fun, both are completely different!

I get if you don't like threes and if it's far from real hockey but there are a lot of people playing the mode. If it's fun for people then it's worth working on. Was blitz or NFL street like real football? NO! But people enjoyed it. Personally I dunno the numbers of people who play ones but I could care less for that mode. Eashl 3's just has too many people ragging the puck due to all the space and inability to hit people. I could do without either of those modes but that's just me.

Threes has much more people ragging and abusing the games mechanics.. it’s not even close
  • I would disagree, I can hit people a whole lot easier in threes. I haven't found many people ragging in the small arena.. are you playing up on your guy or giving space? I think every mode people are abusing the mechanics in any way they can think up esp at the highest levels. People using alt controls to win faceoffs, hiding behind the net, I've even seen people laying on the puck in eashl. The biggest issue in threes is the wristies from the point the goalies can't seem to stop them at all and they're incredibly hard to defend.
  • Almost everyone I know that plays 3's plays 3's to scrub hunt and gain a bunch of CR, not because they enjoy the mode. They just like to abuse the game mechanics in it to get easy CR.