EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th


Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

How to tell in the first 5 minutes wether or not you will most likely win or lose your HUT game

Prev13
jake19ny
688 posts Member
edited September 2019
Here’s 2 things to look for in the first 5 minutes of your HUT game vs a human opponent that will let you know you most likely stand no chance of winning.

First one is easy to notice early....skate around with the puck, don’t pass.... If your opponents AI teammates close in with lightning speed and pressure you then you are in trouble because next don’t personally skate after your opponent when he has the puck. If he can skate freely without a single AI teammate putting pressure on him you are finished. Get ready to give up goals because guys camped in front of the net will stuff them in all day while you try and defend 5 players all by yourself. This random AI play that varies game to game regardless of strategy settings is a big question I posed to the Devs in another thread but they have yet to address it.

Second thing to look for, your passing. Regardless of your opponents skill he’s just one man controlling 1 player at a time. If your passes are going nowhere near where you aimed them or always being intercepted by an opponents AI teammate you are in trouble. This goes hand in hand with the random AI play but even when you have an open man your pass will be 3 feet off target. Meanwhile your opponent has tape to tape magnet passes. Yep your most likely going to lose.

These 2 things are instantly noticeable and you immediately no longer feel like your playing your opponent but fighting your own AI. Likewise when you pile up 7 goals on your opponent in a non competitive game because the random AI has blessed you it’s simply not much fun.

It’s supposed to be a game we play against each other but too often it feels like the game is playing you.

Replies

  • Like a scripted movie. Outcome is determined before the puck drops. Always fun. Lol
    I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    Here’s 2 things to look for in the first 5 minutes of your HUT game vs a human opponent that will let you know you most likely stand no chance of winning.

    First one is easy to notice early....skate around with the puck, don’t pass.... If your opponents AI teammates close in with lightning speed and pressure you then you are in trouble because next don’t personally skate after your opponent when he has the puck. If he can skate freely without a single AI teammate putting pressure on him you are finished. Get ready to give up goals because guys camped in front of the net will stuff them in all day while you try and defend 5 players all by yourself. This random AI play that varies game to game regardless of strategy settings is a big question I posed to the Devs in another thread but they have yet to address it.

    Second thing to look for, your passing. Regardless of your opponents skill he’s just one man controlling 1 player at a time. If your passes are going nowhere near where you aimed them or always being intercepted by an opponents AI teammate you are in trouble. This goes hand in hand with the random AI play but even when you have an open man your pass will be 3 feet off target. Meanwhile your opponent has tape to tape magnet passes. Yep your most likely going to lose.

    These 2 things are instantly noticeable and you immediately no longer feel like your playing your opponent but fighting your own AI. Likewise when you pile up 7 goals on your opponent in a non competitive game because the random AI has blessed you it’s simply not much fun.

    It’s supposed to be a game we play against each other but too often it feels like the game is playing you.

    This was spot on
  • I'm not saying there's no issues with the game because I've been on these forums periodically over the last 6 years almost exclusively to complain, BUT. People get too wrapped up in this momentum thing. If AI is grabbing your passes on the breakout it is because of the strategies your opponent set for his team. If you were to change all yours to aggressive (which I did 3 days ago) you will see a black and white difference. Your team will actually look like it's trying to play hockey. I have noticed some players can tank through multiple stick checks/lifts, but I think players hand eye and puck control come into play and that it is very dependent on the player used when trying to tank. I think it's kind of cool though, sure it's annoying to have happen to you but in the NHL there's lots of physically strong players with crazy puck control. I have also noticed the pass speed is TRASH. You pass from like 3 feet away and it's like molasses
  • jjb wrote: »
    I'm not saying there's no issues with the game because I've been on these forums periodically over the last 6 years almost exclusively to complain, BUT. People get too wrapped up in this momentum thing. If AI is grabbing your passes on the breakout it is because of the strategies your opponent set for his team. If you were to change all yours to aggressive (which I did 3 days ago) you will see a black and white difference. Your team will actually look like it's trying to play hockey. I have noticed some players can tank through multiple stick checks/lifts, but I think players hand eye and puck control come into play and that it is very dependent on the player used when trying to tank. I think it's kind of cool though, sure it's annoying to have happen to you but in the NHL there's lots of physically strong players with crazy puck control. I have also noticed the pass speed is TRASH. You pass from like 3 feet away and it's like molasses

    I’ve changed strategies. It doesn’t seem to matter. I’m not saying it’s built in momentum. I’m not saying it’s scripted or ice tilt.....but there is definitely a problem in the random way your AI plays both on defense and offense. There is a notable difference when they all play smart or play wandering brain dead hockey regardless of strategy.

    The question about random AI play was posed in specifics to the Devs last year and now this year and it remains unanswered . As long as they won’t address those questions people will speculate and even argue over wether it’s connection, strategies, momentum, DDA, or RNG
  • Regarding pass speed. I assume you’re holding the trigger down as opposed to just tapping it. Yeah it’s molasses if you just tap it. Hold it down, I have no issues. Sorry I know this is so basic. I’m just not having any passing issues
  • reengerg wrote: »
    Regarding pass speed. I assume you’re holding the trigger down as opposed to just tapping it. Yeah it’s molasses if you just tap it. Hold it down, I have no issues. Sorry I know this is so basic. I’m just not having any passing issues

    My issue with passing isn’t a stand alone issue. It goes hand in hand with the random AI play. If your opponents AI is playing well they will close off all the passing lanes leading to more interceptions, like wise if your AI is playing braindead they don’t move around to get open so you take more chances leading to bad passes and more interceptions. When the roles are reversed you will have a much higher pass completion percentage and as a result usually more goals.

    I want an answer to the random AI play because it absolutely 100% dictates the direction a game goes in and really places human skill on the back burner. Basically it ends up being an uneven playing field from the drop of the puck and it’s totally out of user control.
  • I've played NHL the last 11 games straight with the exception of 16 and notice the pass is significantly slower across any distance more than like 5 feet. Been holding it down doesn't seem to move any faster
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    I want an answer to the random AI play because it absolutely 100% dictates the direction a game goes in and really places human skill on the back burner. Basically it ends up being an uneven playing field from the drop of the puck and it’s totally out of user control.

    This! We ant it to be a skill game. Not an random AI-game.

  • This game is all Ai game play make the AI like 19
  • This game is all Ai game play make the AI like 19

    The AI did the same thing in 19
  • jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Lol.....an even better test. Skate back into your zone with the puck and zig zag. If an AI defender stays glued to your back and mirrors every move and cut you make the random AI is not on your side. Likewise your opponent can skate freely with no pressure unless you yourself apply that pressure......but it’s a fair and even game right?

    Still awaiting a Dev response on the AI
  • Up this topic to get a response.
  • As for a dev response, I dont think you will get one. If you do it will be the standard, no tilt and everything is the user's fault.
  • j0rtsu67
    416 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    There's no ice tilt.

    It's the connection. Who gets a better one, gets also an advantage.

    That's my opinion. .
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    There's no ice tilt.

    It's the connection. Who gets a better one, gets also an advantage.

    That's my opinion. .

    I agree that connection is responsible for speed and puck control issues. I need an explanation as to the random play of the AI. I simply don’t see connection deciding how amazingly smart and near perfect your AI plays or how braindead wandering they are. Likewise I’m not sure how connection dictates wether your goalie stands on his head or stands there like a cone.

    This AI play question is the one I want the Devs to address. I’m not saying it’s intentional ice tilt but it’s definitely random and obviously drives the outcome of a game in a certain direction so I think wanting an answer for the community is fair and warranted.
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    There's no ice tilt.

    It's the connection. Who gets a better one, gets also an advantage.

    That's my opinion. .

    I used to think that way, however, there are players having these same issues with OFFLINE modes as well. You'd have to assume there is something in the programming of the game itself for that to happen.

    If this was only an ONLINE problem I'd be inclined to agree with what you said.
  • So far I played the AI on superstar countless times. And I can assure people who are suspicious that what is described here is 100% real.

    When playing against good players online, I will get scored 8-10 goals with the most defensive settings on without any possibility to do anything. Even though I beat superstar AI teams on Draft Champions or Squad battles 99% of the time by more than 3 goals. Some games though, I will be unbeatable.

    The frustrating part is the double whammy.

    Not only your defenders won't intercept one timers or block shots, your goalie won't stop a slow backhand easy shot, most poke checks will draw a penalty... but your passes will be intercepted constantly, your shots will be weak and blocked, and when you will have the perfect cross crease you score all the time one timer... the goalie will make the save like if it was nothing. And they will take out the puck out of your stick and never draw a single penalty.

    On top of that, I will dominate the AI on superstar for the entire game. In the last minute, if he shots, he will score 90% of the time. It's so bad that if I'm up by 5 goals on a Squad game, I will ON PURPOSE trip the shooter to prevent a shot from being fired. Then win the face off and rag the puck until the end.

    I can't count the times where I was scored 1, 2 or 3 goals in the last 30 seconds of a Superstar game playing with the most defensive strategies just by point shots or insane perfect plays where you can't do anything and weak shots that just gets in.

    This is real, and it's not just lag or strategies.
  • Like real life just accept some games teams play great, other ones they dont 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    reengerg wrote: »
    Like real life just accept some games teams play great, other ones they dont 🤷🏼‍♂️

    That would be a fine answer if an EA Dev would confirm it and state that the game is programmed to be that way. However I doubt that’s the answer and here’s why.....EA HUT is a mode where you build your team either through effort or spending money on micro transactions. You then take that team and compete in competitive season play where rewards are given to those who achieve a certain ranking, the better the ranking the better the prize....

    ....if the AI is programmed to randomly play good or bad to replicate the ups and downs of real hockey then it would be counter productive to the main purpose of the mode. Random luck on how your AI plays would be paramount and all the other aspects of the mode rendered useless or at least of little importance. Bottom line is it takes much of the games outcome out of the users control.

    So the question remains is random AI play intentional or is it a problem that needs to be corrected?
  • Nothing more painful that watching your Dman skate away like he’s leaving the zone while your opponent is cycling the puck in your end.....is this going to be fixed?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!