EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Should traits have a negative effect in EASHL

Should traits have a negative effect in EASHL? Right now, every trait you select to boost your player (trait 1 or 2) in the primary or secondary trait slot boosts your guy in that selected trait but ALSO takes away from your player in another area.

Primary Trait value adds more points than secondary
Secondary Trait value is less than primary trait value*

6 Offensive traits
5 Defensive traits
6 Athleticism traits

* = TRAITS THAT TAKE AWAY FROM SHOOTING - WSA/WSP/SSA/SSP (8/17 total)
OFFENSIVE TRAITS
Booming Slapper 1 *
Booming Slapper 2 *
Dirty Dangles 1 *
Dirty Dangles 2 *
Laser Passing 1 *
Laser Passing 2 *
Quick Wrister 1 *
Quick Wrister 2 *
Beast Mode 1 *
Beast Mode 2 *
Offensive Minded 1
Offensive Minded 2

DEFENSIVE TRAITS
Heavy Hitter 1 *
Heavy Hitter 2 *
Hockey IQ 1
Hockey IQ 2
Human Shield 1
Human Shield 2
Good Stick 1
Good Stick 2
Defensive Minded 1 *
Defensive Minded 2 *

ATHLETICISM TRAITS
Brute Strength 1
Brute Strength 2
Ironman 1
Ironman 2
Quick First Step 1
Quick First Step 2
Tight Turns 1
Tight Turns 2
Core Balance 1 *
Core Balance 2 *
Cardio Master 1
Cardio Master 2

No other attribute is effected negatively by more than 1 trait except (def awareness, offensive awareness, discipline have 2/17

Replies

• No of course not, that's dumb. They should have a positive effect/boost only.
  • Yea not quite sure I agree that boosting something has to lower something else. I get that there is a trade-off thing going, but don't necessarily agree with the logic behind it.

Same applies for goalies by the way. Any boost will lower something else.
  • I'd be Ok with something like this.

Primary Trait Slot
    Level 1 Traits= +3 attributes in specialized areas with no downside
    Level 2 Traits= +5 attributes in specialized areas with a -1 in other specialized areas

Secondary Trait Slot
    Level 1 Traits= +2 attributes in specialized areas with no downside
    Level 2 Traits= +4 attributes in specialized areas with = -2 in other specialized areas

I feel like the Primary Trait is what a character should really excel at and have little to no penalty to it. While the secondary is something they are better in but might lack in some other areas. I feel this would be the best results.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    I'd be Ok with something like this.

Primary Trait Slot
    Level 2 Traits= +5 attributes in specialized areas with a -1 in other specialized areas

Secondary Trait Slot
    Level 2 Traits= +4 attributes in specialized areas with = -2 in other specialized areas

I feel like the Primary Trait is what a character should really excel at and have little to no penalty to it. While the secondary is something they are better in but might lack in some other areas. I feel this would be the best results.

I really think it would be better without the negative traits.

We had it last gen with the +3 +5 +7 boosts and it was great. Only thing people didn't like was the fact you had to grind to get them, so the people who could afford to play all day had an advantage.

Primary Trait Slot

Secondary Trait Slot

We had it last gen with the +3 +5 +7 boosts and it was great. Only thing people didn't like was the fact you had to grind to get them, so the people who could afford to play all day had an advantage.

I already presented that awhile ago when a similar discussion happened. But I had it you can only have this.....
    Offense - +7 and +5 in an area can't be the same attribute
    Defense- +7 and +5 in an area can't be the same attribute
    Athletics +7 and +5 in an area can't be the same attribute

I even suggested something like no attribute boosts til you Prestige to give you +3 access, 2nd Prestige gives you the ability to use +5, and 3rd Prestige gives you +7s.

The problem with the PS360 era was people stacked just athletics and I believe it should have been something where you have to distribute evenly across each category
    Follisimo wrote: »

Primary Trait Slot

Secondary Trait Slot

I already presented that awhile ago when a similar discussion happened. But I had it you can only have this.....

I even suggested something like no attribute boosts til you Prestige to give you +3 access, 2nd Prestige gives you the ability to use +5, and 3rd Prestige gives you +7s.

The problem with the PS360 era was people stacked just athletics and I believe it should have been something where you have to distribute evenly across each category

It did, there were 3 main categories, (Offense, Defense and Athleticism) each with 7 to 9 sub categories.
    custom-attributes.jpg

You had 2500 XP to distribute for each (Legend 3 max), and then you could add boosts to it (finish challenges to get boosts).
    The amount you could distribute for a certain attribute was determined by your players build.
    For example, if you wanted to put XP towards Hitting, your Sniper will cost way more XP than your Power Forward.

The Athleticism category only had 7 sub categories, so your 2500XP went further. There's a few other tweaks they could make, but I like this system.

Primary Trait Slot

Secondary Trait Slot

It did, there were 3 main categories, (Offense, Defense and Athleticism) each with 7 to 9 sub categories.
    custom-attributes.jpg

You had 2500 XP to distribute for each (Legend 3 max), and then you could add boosts to it (finish challenges to get boosts).
    The amount you could distribute for a certain attribute was determined by your players build.
    For example, if you wanted to put XP towards Hitting, your Sniper will cost way more XP than your Power Forward.

The Athleticism category only had 7 sub categories, so your 2500XP went further. There's a few other tweaks they could make, but I like this system.

Everything you just said had NOTHING to do with the boosts I was talking about. You simply stated the ability to assign points which DUH already knew.

Now the boost slots had a category for Skates, Stick, Helmet, and Gloves. The thing was you could overstock the athletics area with like 6 boosts. So my suggestion was you get 2 boosts in each category(Offense,Defense, Athletics) to round out your character a bit more.

Primary Trait Slot

Secondary Trait Slot

custom-attributes.jpg

Everything you just said had NOTHING to do with the boosts I was talking about. You simply stated the ability to assign points which DUH already knew.

Now the boost slots had a category for Skates, Stick, Helmet, and Gloves. The thing was you could overstock the athletics area with like 6 boosts. So my suggestion was you get 2 boosts in each category(Offense,Defense, Athletics) to round out your character a bit more.

Ohhh the boosts slot system, yes OK I get you. Yes and helmet let you use any boost.
    Yup I'd be OK with that, much better than what we have now.

Primary Trait Slot

Secondary Trait Slot

custom-attributes.jpg

Ah man seeing that screen makes me miss it more :( IMO if they fixed the system to really have an effect when you are base stats for each category would make people think and decide if the trade off is good enough. Just make sure all stats really matter.