EA Forums - Banner

Fix the overpowered interceptions

Prev1
Interceptions are ridiculously overpowered, fix that mess EA. No CPU or human player should be able to reach out from behind the play and intercept the pass without even facing the puck. It doesn't make any sense. Fast, precise passes are getting intercepted from everywhere which is a big advantage for bad players whose defensive play rely on that broken feature entirely.

Replies

• EA Please ignore this post, the offence is and always has been so overpowered to the point passes in previous games have gone right threw perfectly positioned defensive players. Its about time the scales, are in atleast one aspect of a tottally offensive based game, tipped in favor if the defense.

If my guy with very limited defensive ablilites is in position, he should intercept the pass. If you can't create scoring chances with the rediculous puck control offensive players have and the incredible skating abilities and the LT crap, on top of auto deaks and skill stick and a mountain of other offensive weapons this game favors offence with, then shame on you!

Dont nerf the one aspect of defense that being in position rewards you for, so yet again, blind cross crease passes will rule the already huge stack of easy ways to score.
  • For years all we heard was "play better defense" for seriously broken offensive weapons and poor animations and puck physics favoring offense. Can we atleast just once keep an aspect of the game that favors defense in the game and write it off as "play better offense"
  • @rogers2487 he is talking about players who are in terrible position and not facing the puck. Nobody wants there to be a chance that a player in great position facing the puck doesn't intercept the puck. This is about the incredibly generous interceptions for players with bad positioning is actually causing more figure skating and less hockey actually being played.
  • Also the "close proximity pass" is broken as well allowing a player to basically guard two players on a 2 v 1. If a player is extremely close to the puck carrier they should not be eligible to intercept a pass. If it hits them okay but not an INT.
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    All you guys here are right actually.

EA needs to do it right (realistic), not in a favor for any of these groups.
    The valid question after so many years tho is, are they actually capable of it?
    Post edited by djneohockey on
  • All you guys here are right actually.

EA needs to do it right (realistic) not in in a favor for any of this groups.
    The valid question after so many years tho is, are they actually capable of it?

100%
  • Leckaroo
    79 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    What I don't understand is why everything is cleanly intercepted? Why is an intended pass never simply redirected by the defending player? Happens on shots from the point all the time too. If the puck hits anyone
    it always simply stops dead.
  • I understand we've complained about crappy defense for years, but just making every pass intercepted without bias is not the solution we were looking for. Better defense means have the defense play in better position, so the offense has to work harder to find a good pass. Or, have the defense make smarter moves in the Dzone and stop handing the puck to the goalie, or even putting it in his own net. These are what we meant by please improve the defense, not make them intercept every pass.
  • Leckaroo wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why everything is cleanly intercepted? Why is an intended pass never simply redirected by the defending player? Happens on shots from the point all the time too. If the puck hits anyone
    it always simply stops dead.

Yeah, great point, that's because this game is not really "physics based".
    Its just PR talk... well, they don't even claim this anymore to be fair, that's not something they think will sell their game.

But ya, another thing we've been complaining every year.
    This team has different priorities, nothing we can do about that, I think.
  • theDynamiteJ3T
    15 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    rogers2487 wrote: »
    EA Please ignore this post, the offence is and always has been so overpowered to the point passes in previous games have gone right threw perfectly positioned defensive players. Its about time the scales, are in atleast one aspect of a tottally offensive based game, tipped in favor if the defense.

If my guy with very limited defensive ablilites is in position, he should intercept the pass. If you can't create scoring chances with the rediculous puck control offensive players have and the incredible skating abilities and the LT crap, on top of auto deaks and skill stick and a mountain of other offensive weapons this game favors offence with, then shame on you!

Dont nerf the one aspect of defense that being in position rewards you for, so yet again, blind cross crease passes will rule the already huge stack of easy ways to score.

Please present a sound argument that explains how you should be able to intercept a pass when you are skating directly away from the puck with your back to the passer. If you're facing the puck, fine I will give you the increased intercept radius, but the back to the puck intercepts are ridiculous and if you need that to play decent defense you are not a very good defender.
  • https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkADVMOwpke8wQgKFgY3wgyaI-0C

Just re-posting this to give a clear cut example of busted pass interceptions.
  • rogers2487 wrote: »
    EA Please ignore this post, the offence is and always has been so overpowered to the point passes in previous games have gone right threw perfectly positioned defensive players. Its about time the scales, are in atleast one aspect of a tottally offensive based game, tipped in favor if the defense.

Please present a sound argument that explains how you should be able to intercept a pass when you are skating directly away from the puck with your back to the passer. If you're facing the puck, fine I will give you the increased intercept radius, but the back to the puck intercepts are ridiculous and if you need that to play decent defense you are not a very good defender.

I think he just did... Because virtually every other aspect of the game is unrealistically tilted in favor of the offense. If you are going to try to make pass interceptions more realistic you need to first address the magnetic possession, body and stick contact, and all the other above silly and arcady offensive advantages that the physics (or lack thereof) provide in this game. It’s not close.
  • Interceptions are ridiculously overpowered, fix that mess EA. No CPU or human player should be able to reach out from behind the play and intercept the pass without even facing the puck. It doesn't make any sense. Fast, precise passes are getting intercepted from everywhere which is a big advantage for bad players whose defensive play rely on that broken feature entirely.

How about making smarter, better passes instead of trying to get EA to nerf yet another defensive tool. Instead of forcing passes, learn to use your environment. You dont always have to keep pushing forward with the puck. Learn how to saucer pass. If you are making a pass to a covered player, that is your judgement error and until the rectify the skating backwards, spin o rama exploit, dont even suggest any nerfs to anything defense related.
  • Sales are dropping bud... They need this in the game now
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't know about sales, cuz neither the game publishers or console makers (Sony and Microsoft) are into giving them out for people to know the exact numbers.

But I do know that LG signups for the new NHL 20 season is 2600 users. That's almost 1000 user less than last year's signups which were at 3500 for the start of the season and then trailed off to about 2900 by the final season of NHL 19. Maybe people are waiting for a patch/tuner before signing up? Or maybe people just don't like NHL 20 as much as some may think?

Either way, this doesn't look good.

• Yeah, great point, that's because this game is not really "physics based".
    Its just PR talk... well, they don't even claim this anymore to be fair, that's not something they think will sell their game.

No kidding... passes are intercepted perfectly without deflections, because EA wants it that way. If there were more deflections and random pucks, this engine would simply show how inadequate it is. And since the games are not in real time, EA think they need to keep the flow of the game tight and 'exciting', so there's no time lost chasing loose pucks.

Instead, every pass is intercepted perfectly, so there's no lost time, and the puck carrier can immediately go on offence, pass, shoot whatever. You know, it's the fastest game on earth! :D

Remember last year when every rebound ALWAYS went to the opponent's stick for an easy goal (unless you were there to intercept). I mean ALWAYS. This year they changed that because it was too obvious...

And it's not just passing, shots can be intercepted in similar manner, or they drop dead on ice when blocked for an easy goal (again). I think they're trying to get away from this a bit, this year isn't nearly as bad as NHL18 or 19. But true physics, forget it.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Yeah, great point, that's because this game is not really "physics based".

No kidding... passes are intercepted perfectly without deflections, because EA wants it that way. If there were more deflections and random pucks, this engine would simply show how inadequate it is. And since the games are not in real time, EA think they need to keep the flow of the game tight and 'exciting', so there's no time lost chasing loose pucks.

Instead, every pass is intercepted perfectly, so there's no lost time, and the puck carrier can immediately go on offence, pass, shoot whatever. You know, it's the fastest game on earth! :D

Remember last year when every rebound ALWAYS went to the opponent's stick for an easy goal (unless you were there to intercept). I mean ALWAYS. This year they changed that because it was too obvious...

And it's not just passing, shots can be intercepted in similar manner, or they drop dead on ice when blocked for an easy goal (again). I think they're trying to get away from this a bit, this year isn't nearly as bad as NHL18 or 19. But true physics, forget it.

Chasing loose pucks from deflections and such is how broken plays get capitalized off of. I mean the same garbage exists in FIFA also with the ball being a magnet vast majority of the time to players. Nothing is better than cranking a slapshot and someone has 1 hand on their stick out to the side and it completely stops the puck dead in its momentum.

If they gave us more of a real hockey game the things like defense and offense would look so much better with less complaining.

• Malarkey like this just shouldn't happen. Deflect the shot? Sure, no problem with that. But to basically stop the shot dead and then seamlessly kick it up to your stick for instant possession is just plain silly.

• These comments point out the single biggest issue of this and other EA games. They simply dont feel organic. This year's edition is especially bad with the points people are making here with the interceptions and 108 mph slappers stopped on a dime, skate to stick or just straight to the stick.
  • What game mode is this?

In versus the pass interceptions are non-existent. Can't count the time when I have had 2 guys standing in the slot, facing the puck and completely unable to do anything when that pass goes between their legs and stick. Feels like the only way to intercept passes is to throw down and hope for the best.

On the other hand offensive awareness seems like over 200%, my players have zero trouble skating backwards towards the pass and do a 180 spin with backhand one timer to top corner.

Defending this year seems like a lost cause. Positioning doesn't matter, AI doesn't help at all (except for taking penalties) and goalies can't catch anything. Takes a special effort to have a versus game with less than 15 goals total.