EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th


Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Either get rid of penatly shots for all penalties in EASHL 3's or let us control the goalies

Penalty shots are basically auto goals in this game. At least make it 4 on 3 or 3 on 2 or allow us to control goalies.

Replies

  • I thought penalty shots were fine in 18. However, when they upped the chance of getting a penalty for every little action, it's just become a penalty shot fest. Combine this with how terrible the goalies are this year, backhand, forehand, backhand goal, then I agree wholeheartedly. I wouldn't mind the extra man coming back to curtail the extreme goal swings of penalty shots.
  • phil7488 wrote: »
    Penalty shots are basically auto goals in this game. At least make it 4 on 3 or 3 on 2 or allow us to control goalies.

    Human goalies wouldn't be the solution. In fact you'd probably end up with higher goal tallies at the end. The solution is to make goalies actually play like goalies. But I don't think there's anyone in their team that knows.

    Not that I blame them, most of this community has zero clue on what a goalie is actually supposed to do anyways. Many of them think of us as just space holders. We're not even human and have no skill. We just stand there and either stop the puck or we let the puck through. We get little praise for actually making saves through good positioning, and we reap all the hate when a puck somehow sneaks through.

    Since we're so poorly regarded, why should EA even try to make us good?
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    phil7488 wrote: »
    Penalty shots are basically auto goals in this game. At least make it 4 on 3 or 3 on 2 or allow us to control goalies.

    Human goalies wouldn't be the solution. In fact you'd probably end up with higher goal tallies at the end. The solution is to make goalies actually play like goalies. But I don't think there's anyone in their team that knows.

    Not that I blame them, most of this community has zero clue on what a goalie is actually supposed to do anyways. Many of them think of us as just space holders. We're not even human and have no skill. We just stand there and either stop the puck or we let the puck through. We get little praise for actually making saves through good positioning, and we reap all the hate when a puck somehow sneaks through.

    Since we're so poorly regarded, why should EA even try to make us good?

    Well I play quite a bit of goal and I'm pretty good so it would benefit me. But yeah the average player probably can't hang. At least make it optional then. I don't know but the way it is now is insufferable.

    And I agree. Human goalies have always taken a back seat to literally everything else in this game.
  • VeNOM2099
    2596 posts Member
    edited September 30
    phil7488 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    phil7488 wrote: »
    Penalty shots are basically auto goals in this game. At least make it 4 on 3 or 3 on 2 or allow us to control goalies.

    Human goalies wouldn't be the solution. In fact you'd probably end up with higher goal tallies at the end. The solution is to make goalies actually play like goalies. But I don't think there's anyone in their team that knows.

    Not that I blame them, most of this community has zero clue on what a goalie is actually supposed to do anyways. Many of them think of us as just space holders. We're not even human and have no skill. We just stand there and either stop the puck or we let the puck through. We get little praise for actually making saves through good positioning, and we reap all the hate when a puck somehow sneaks through.

    Since we're so poorly regarded, why should EA even try to make us good?

    Well I play quite a bit of goal and I'm pretty good so it would benefit me. But yeah the average player probably can't hang. At least make it optional then. I don't know but the way it is now is insufferable.

    And I agree. Human goalies have always taken a back seat to literally everything else in this game.

    I hear ya. I mean, I'm pretty good at goaltending myself. But in NHL 20, it's a lost cause for us.

    It's so bad I'd prefer playing goalie in NHL 19 and I ended up uninstalling that game in JULY! LOL!! Heck, gimme NHL 16 goalies over this year's. It's THAT bad!!
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    phil7488 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    phil7488 wrote: »
    Penalty shots are basically auto goals in this game. At least make it 4 on 3 or 3 on 2 or allow us to control goalies.

    Human goalies wouldn't be the solution. In fact you'd probably end up with higher goal tallies at the end. The solution is to make goalies actually play like goalies. But I don't think there's anyone in their team that knows.

    Not that I blame them, most of this community has zero clue on what a goalie is actually supposed to do anyways. Many of them think of us as just space holders. We're not even human and have no skill. We just stand there and either stop the puck or we let the puck through. We get little praise for actually making saves through good positioning, and we reap all the hate when a puck somehow sneaks through.

    Since we're so poorly regarded, why should EA even try to make us good?

    Well I play quite a bit of goal and I'm pretty good so it would benefit me. But yeah the average player probably can't hang. At least make it optional then. I don't know but the way it is now is insufferable.

    And I agree. Human goalies have always taken a back seat to literally everything else in this game.

    I hear ya. I mean, I'm pretty good at goaltending myself. But in NHL 20, it's a lost cause for us.

    It's so bad I'd prefer playing goalie in NHL 19 and I ended up uninstalling that game in JULY! LOL!! Heck, gimme NHL 16 goalies over this year's. It's THAT bad!!

    19 was better for whatever reason for human goalies. The position is already the hardest to play and they go and make it harder for no reason.
  • VeNOM2099
    2596 posts Member
    edited September 30
    phil7488 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    phil7488 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    phil7488 wrote: »
    Penalty shots are basically auto goals in this game. At least make it 4 on 3 or 3 on 2 or allow us to control goalies.

    Human goalies wouldn't be the solution. In fact you'd probably end up with higher goal tallies at the end. The solution is to make goalies actually play like goalies. But I don't think there's anyone in their team that knows.

    Not that I blame them, most of this community has zero clue on what a goalie is actually supposed to do anyways. Many of them think of us as just space holders. We're not even human and have no skill. We just stand there and either stop the puck or we let the puck through. We get little praise for actually making saves through good positioning, and we reap all the hate when a puck somehow sneaks through.

    Since we're so poorly regarded, why should EA even try to make us good?

    Well I play quite a bit of goal and I'm pretty good so it would benefit me. But yeah the average player probably can't hang. At least make it optional then. I don't know but the way it is now is insufferable.

    And I agree. Human goalies have always taken a back seat to literally everything else in this game.

    I hear ya. I mean, I'm pretty good at goaltending myself. But in NHL 20, it's a lost cause for us.

    It's so bad I'd prefer playing goalie in NHL 19 and I ended up uninstalling that game in JULY! LOL!! Heck, gimme NHL 16 goalies over this year's. It's THAT bad!!

    19 was better for whatever reason for human goalies. The position is already the hardest to play and they go and make it harder for no reason.

    It's not that it's necessarily "harder", it's that it's bad. Like, you have to consider that we are NOT in control of a our limbs, whereas a real goalie is. So at the very least make the game give us a save if we're in good position, but no! Things happen for arbitrary reasons to us. If a forward flubs a shot, it's because he missed his timing or the spacing or something he did went wrong (most of the time). But for us goalies in position or not, good or bad, the game does 90% of the job. It's no wonder people hate us!!!

    Where the position could be considered "hard" is in the input department. For starters NOTHING that we do in this game can be considered "like a goalie". We move around without physics, gliding all over the crease like we're on a magic carpet, and then when we go into a save, whoops! There's Mr. Physics! It's so jarring and confusing. Then there's the save engine... my God! I don't even know where to start. It's just bad. It was bad before, now it's 50 shades of horrible, dipped in vile and sprinkled with disappointment. Being in position would "sometimes" result in goals (because the goalie's gotta get sniped sometimes). Now they ratcheted that up to "nearly always". Attributes mean diddly-squat. 92 in 5-Hole? Simple wrister from the blue line will go through. 87 in Glove High? You'll whiff on 4 out of 5 shots put on your glove and allow 3 goals. The 4th shot will hit the post. Goalie interference? Sure.... Just let the opponent slam into you and put the puck into the net. No review. But let him barely even breath on you from the side. Goal gets called back on "interference".

    Like... I could go on and on about how the game's goaltending is bad. But I've been at it for what now? 3-4 years??? And nothing's changed? Well that's not true, because it has changed: it's gotten Worse!!

    I am so upset... the one thing that made me happy about this series and this game. I used to light up at the thought of playing human goalie in NHL 14. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but this isn't a perfect world we live in. But it was fun, win or lose. Then the game came to "next gen". And it's been on a free fall ever since with no "crash" in sight. A forever spiral into the abyss that no pilot seems to be able to save.

    Kinda ironic considering how goalies can't make a save in this game either... *sigh*
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

  • What if every penalty was still a penalty shot but the offending team could choose which skater would attempt it?
  • I voiced my opinion about penalty shots in 3s. It’s garbage. Its boring knowing a penalty is a goal using the same move every time.

    It’s been said here on the forums that it should be 3v2, then 3v1 , then a penalty shot. Sure. This isn’t how it is in the NHL, but neither are penalty shots for every trip either. I personally would like to have the power play. This way there is no ai and can reduce reliance for teams getting most goals off penalty shots.
  • I totally agree with posters above about removing penalty shots from 3's. They are auto goals every time once you start playing against any kind of decent players. Maybe in the future once goalies have some AI learning, or they get a lot better, but this year and last it's just the same cheese goal over and over.

    I also think it would be cool to go 3v2, then 3v1, and if teams keep taking penalties I wouldn't even care if it went 3v0 until a goal. If your team reaches that point, you deserve to be scored on. I think the dev team should really look into trying this!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!