EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Ice Tilt/Dynamic difficulty adjustment - Mega thread

Replies

• This dynamic difficulty is something that needs to be removed. The game should be based on the player ratings, not some "the AI wants to make the game close" dynamic. I remember sports games back in the late 80's and 90's where if you put your player as all 99's, he played like a 99 rated player. And the other players couldn't catch him. Some say this would be boring, but I disagree. If you adjust the other player ratings, you'll get a great game.

This year, it's as if the player ratings don't have much influence in a game. EA's response always seems to be "internet connectivity" why players slow down. But, as someone else asked, what about offline then? They aren't playing online.

How is it I can be winning 5-0 going into the 3rd, then suddenly, my players can't make a pass, miss all the shots (or hit post a lot), 90% of penalties are now called against my team, and they stumble all over. You hit the CPU and they either don't move, or fall and bounce back up to regain possession of the puck immediately. If you're going to put this DD in the game, at least give us the option to turn it off like you do for FIFA 20.
  • EA_Roger
    1466 posts Community Manager
    Steven5470 wrote: »
    This dynamic difficulty is something that needs to be removed. The game should be based on the player ratings, not some "the AI wants to make the game close" dynamic. I remember sports games back in the late 80's and 90's where if you put your player as all 99's, he played like a 99 rated player. And the other players couldn't catch him. Some say this would be boring, but I disagree. If you adjust the other player ratings, you'll get a great game.

This year, it's as if the player ratings don't have much influence in a game. EA's response always seems to be "internet connectivity" why players slow down. But, as someone else asked, what about offline then? They aren't playing online.

How is it I can be winning 5-0 going into the 3rd, then suddenly, my players can't make a pass, miss all the shots (or hit post a lot), 90% of penalties are now called against my team, and they stumble all over. You hit the CPU and they either don't move, or fall and bounce back up to regain possession of the puck immediately. If you're going to put this DD in the game, at least give us the option to turn it off like you do for FIFA 20.

Could you elaborate on this option in FIFA 20 to turn off "Dynamic Difficulty"? I've never heard of it myself.
  • EA_Roger wrote: »
    This dynamic difficulty is something that needs to be removed. The game should be based on the player ratings, not some "the AI wants to make the game close" dynamic. I remember sports games back in the late 80's and 90's where if you put your player as all 99's, he played like a 99 rated player. And the other players couldn't catch him. Some say this would be boring, but I disagree. If you adjust the other player ratings, you'll get a great game.

Could you elaborate on this option in FIFA 20 to turn off "Dynamic Difficulty"? I've never heard of it myself.

At the controller select (or kick-off) screen in FIFA is an "advantage settings" option. I guess it was in FIFA19 as well, but allows you to adjust the balance of the game. Supposed to help level the playing field.
  • Steven5470 wrote: »
    EA_Roger wrote: »

At the controller select (or kick-off) screen in FIFA is an "advantage settings" option. I guess it was in FIFA19 as well, but allows you to adjust the balance of the game. Supposed to help level the playing field.

This is bizarre. I don’t play FIFA but why on earth would there be an option to allow an advantage? Who wouldn’t take an advantage in a competitive season match where rewards are given? Better question who intentionally take a disadvantage?.

To be clear I’m not calling any of this DDA or ice tilt. The Devs did a very good job of explaining many of the things I believed to be ice tilt last year. I’m still just stuck on the random AI play. I just want to know if they are aware of it and if it’s random or intentional and if there are plans to correct it since it influences these competitive season games out of user control
  • jake19ny wrote: »

This is bizarre. I don’t play FIFA but why on earth would there be an option to allow an advantage? Who wouldn’t take an advantage in a competitive season match where rewards are given? Better question who intentionally take a disadvantage?.

To be clear I’m not calling any of this DDA or ice tilt. The Devs did a very good job of explaining many of the things I believed to be ice tilt last year. I’m still just stuck on the random AI play. I just want to know if they are aware of it and if it’s random or intentional and if there are plans to correct it since it influences these competitive season games out of user control

The point of Dynamic Difficulty is to have the game progress and get harder and harder to keep the user interested. Makes things less easy, predictable and abuse able. Mind you this is the kind of thing I would be fine with in a purely offline setting. Don't know what others think though.
  • Steven5470
    217 posts Member
    edited October 1
    Online or offline, it shouldn't be in the game. I understand teams fall apart in games and other come from behind and win, but it's not a every game occurrence. But for this EA game, it happens all too frequently. If the AI wants to up the pressure and shoot more, fine. That's normal. If they want to check more, fine, that's normal. But to have the game itself change so the AI can score is not normal.

In numerous games I've played this year, I've seen rebound deflect directly to the AI stick, but doesn't happen to my team when winning. I've seen the CPU get checked to the ice only to jump back up, grab the puck, pass it off for a goal. My guys get hit and curl up in a ball and cry on the ice for a bit. I played a game where the CPU shot the puck, it hit the goalies RIGHT side chest, went into his glove on his LEFT hand....and then amazingly bounce back out and back across the goalie chest to the open AI player for a goal. Literally went another 3 feet. Odd puck physics? Rare glitch? These things are happening more and more this year than last, and start to rule out the "rare" glitch effect.

Winning 3-0 going into the 3rd, my players can no longer pass accurate or even hit the net with a shot. These things are happening at more than a coincidental occurrence. It takes the fun out of playing this game. Right now, I'm more excited about playing the new OOTP FHM Hockey text/sime game, than I am playing this game.

Dynamic Diff, Ice Tilt, or whatever you want to call it, should not be in this game. The fact there is an advantage setting in EA FIFA emphasizes it could very well exist in EA Hockey. We'll probably see that as an option one year in this game!

• Mc41DMB
    32 posts Member
    edited October 1
    Why is it that when a player rage quits, rather than his team being punished, they instead gain huge waves of momentum while the other team is infinitely handicapped? Teams are now intentionally using this as a strategic advantage which is absolutely ridiculous.

Why is it that in EASHL 3’s you will have to combat the sudden input lag experienced in key situations to level the game?

For example, up by one at the start of the 3rd I drew a penalty. The gameplay felt fine, normal, all game long up until that point. The very second I start skating on my penalty shot attempt I could literally feel a heavy force pulling at my skater to control his movements while delaying mine. Of course I blew it just as intended, but when play resumed I no longer had that issue. I got another penalty shot, and go figure that when I start to skate it’s slow, sloppy, choppy and of course I miss that one too. Again, play resumed as normal afterwards. The AI who replaced the rage quitter went on to score a sick wrister after two or three dekes you never see them even attempt to tie the game... with 3.6 seconds left. We lost in the first minute of overtime after the AI scored a soft shot from the point that the goalie trickled in himself. Our CR’s were 900’s, they were half that.

Also, the worst part of this crap is the fact that we all lose an insane, maximum amount of CR that will take several hours just to regain, all because of a loss that was not deserving, but designed by your coding. “Let’s not only tilt this team to lose for kicks and giggles, but let’s also make sure they lose at least all the CR they won in all those games today.”

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • NHLDev
    1355 posts NHL Developer
    edited October 1
    We don't have any DDA in our game. The difficulties are locked. The only thing that can progress during a game are how the ai reacts to tendencies that mostly drive changes in strategy adjustment. So an ai team may change their forecheck if you beat it the same way out of your zone a few times or they may put on more pressure if they are down in the game but that will also make them more vulnerable to be beat as well. Most players don't notice when they turn a 2 goal lead into a 4 goal lead as that is 'all them' but if that same pressure that opens them up defensively allows them to tie the game 2-2, they notice a lot more that the game has changed.

For other games like MLB: The Show's Road to the Show, they have actively shown their DDA on screen and used it as a tool to find something that is a benefit to the User for good even competition. Personally I don't like that as I may have struck out one at bat just because I misread a pitch, not necessarily that I need the difficulty turned down. The next at bat, I hit a homerun because the difficult is lower and they raise it back up. They allow players to turn this off though as far as I know.

In some single player modes like that, it can make sense and actually balance things for a player that doesn't know what difficulty to select out of the gate and wants a mechanic to help then find that balance but it never makes sense in a multiplayer game where competition is the main driver. We try to use our MMR and matchmaking systems to keep the competition as close as we can so that as you rise through the ranks, you are more likely to play competition at your level. Personally I have found that the MMR values match fairly well when I check after the game with what the outcomes of my games are, especially the more games players have played when their MMR's are most accurate.

The other way you could use lopsided difficulty may be when you are playing an offline game against another human opponent you know is much weaker than you. You may elect for them to have an advantage in their AI, health bar, etc. as some games do that -- NHL doesn't have anything like that though. I would still always expect a feature like that to be seen by players and not something that is done behind the scenes and never used in a competitive setting.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    We don't have any DDA in our game. The difficulties are locked. The only thing that can progress during a game are how the ai reacts to tendencies that mostly drive changes in strategy adjustment. So an ai team may change their forecheck if you beat it the same way out of your zone a few times or they may put on more pressure if they are down in the game but that will also make them more vulnerable to be beat as well. Most players don't notice when they turn a 2 goal lead into a 4 goal lead as that is 'all them' but if that same pressure that opens them up defensively allows them to tie the game 2-2, they notice a lot more that the game has changed.

For other games like MLB: The Show's Road to the Show, they have actively shown their DDA on screen and used it as a tool to find something that is a benefit to the User for good even competition. Personally I don't like that as I may have struck out one at bat just because I misread a pitch, not necessarily that I need the difficulty turned down. The next at bat, I hit a homerun because the difficult is lower and they raise it back up. They allow players to turn this off though as far as I know.

In some single player modes like that, it can make sense and actually balance things for a player that doesn't know what difficulty to select out of the gate and wants a mechanic to help then find that balance but it never makes sense in a multiplayer game where competition is the main driver. We try to use our MMR and matchmaking systems to keep the competition as close as we can so that as you rise through the ranks, you are more likely to play competition at your level. Personally I have found that the MMR values match fairly well when I check after the game with what the outcomes of my games are, especially the more games players have played when their MMR's are most accurate.

The other way you could use lopsided difficulty may be when you are playing an offline game against another human opponent you know is much weaker than you. You may elect for them to have an advantage in their AI, health bar, etc. as some games do that -- NHL doesn't have anything like that though. I would still always expect a feature like that to be seen by players and not something that is done behind the scenes and never used in a competitive setting.

Thank you for weighing in on this. You mention the AI making changes during the game to make adjustments to how the users are playing but often times I don’t see that. I either see my AlI (or opponents) play amazingly smart all game or play totally inept and useless all game.

When my opponents AI is playing I can control the puck down low all game and exploit the cross crease pass one timer 6-7x a game because his AI defense is nowhere to be found. Other games the brilliantly clog the passing lanes, aggressively pursue the puck carrier, and tie up the men in front. Those games I’m lucky to score 1 goal. I of course benefit and suffer from like everyone else.

I can’t see this being a connection issue and likewise it can’t be strategy sets because I don’t change mine and some games my AI is great others it’s useless.

I created another thread about this but you can recognize it in the first 5 minutes and it doesn’t change during the game. Is this a random thing or is it a flaw you guys are looking into.

Thanks for chiming in, I just wanted to comment on the above...

I play offline only and the AI Learning is 0 along with AI Difficulty and mainly on All Star with all sliders equal. So I'm curious as to how the AI knows to react when there is nothing telling the AI to react to my tendencies. If the AI Learning is at 0, is it still "learning"? Unless I'm misunderstanding the AI Learning slider which i thought was that exact intention to help the CPU learn.

Also, I do notice when I get a 2 or 4 goal lead because I try and keep the pressure on to win the game and get the shutout. But that is when I mentioned things fall apart suddenly. In the 3rd, my players, even with full fatigue bar, can't pass or shoot accurately either, but the CPU can start making amazing tape to tape passes (pass accuracy at 25) and amazing pinpoint shots. When the game is close, my players can play normal again. I'm no looking for it, it's just that noticeable.

I've had games where no penalties are called, but I'm up in the 3rd and my players start to take penalty after penalty and the AI still has no penalties against it.

The AI had 5 Power Plays in one 3rd period before which allowed them to narrow the game to 5-4. I mean these goals were soft! Couldn't score the first 2 periods, but now anything was going in for them. This isn't a one time deal, it happens quite frequently. If you say it's because of fatigue, why can't I score the same way then and continue my lead? Why is it always because MY players are fatigued?

Also, I can check the AI to the ground, but they bounce back up and regain the puck somehow, but my players can't.

I'll also add I play a lot on Position Lock and notice these things.

• It's the old momentum meter they used to display in the early 2000 NHL's. They no longer display it, but their "momentum" game altering mechanic is still alive and well. Call it ice tilt, call it momentum.. it affects the gameplay negatively and should NOT exist.
  • I am just telling you how it works. I can't tell you how you perceive it. I mentioned one example but there are a lot of ways that bias can impact how we view things.
    I am just telling you how it works. I can't tell you how you perceive it. I mentioned one example but there are a lot of ways that bias can impact how we view things.

Is it present in online games? In let's say 6v6 games?

For example, Team A gets a big hit which gives them a "momentum" boost where a variety of positive things go their way that wouldn't have if the hit never took place (IE a favorable bounce/rebound, better puck control, more accurate passing, etc.)

If yes, since momentum boosts for Team A affect them positively, at the same time does it affect Team B, only negatively? (IE reduced passing accuracy, reduced puck control etc.)
    I am just telling you how it works. I can't tell you how you perceive it. I mentioned one example but there are a lot of ways that bias can impact how we view things.

For example, Team A gets a big hit which gives them a "momentum" boost where a variety of positive things go their way that wouldn't have if the hit never took place (IE a favorable bounce/rebound, better puck control, more accurate passing, etc.)

If yes, since momentum boosts for Team A affect them positively, at the same time does it affect Team B, only negatively? (IE reduced passing accuracy, reduced puck control etc.)

No, this doesn't exist. We have impacts to your play based on lower stamina or being injured but there isn't a hidden system that is performing in that way.
    NHLDev wrote: »

No, this doesn't exist. We have impacts to your play based on lower stamina or being injured but there isn't a hidden system that is performing in that way.

Thank you for answering.

I would love to believe you, but I've seen so many scenarios that would lead me to believe there's something else going on.

It is what it is though, thanks again.

PS: 2 big things I think should come back. You don't have to answer, just wanted to get it to your attention.

1) server browser style lobby system, similar to what we had last gen. Especially since the playerbase is so split with all the different modes.

2) Fully customizable attribute system, again, similar to what we had last gen. Allows for more unique player types and games, like how the actually NHL is.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2395 posts Member
    edited October 2
    Sorry it's really hard to buy into "nothing sneaky is happening" when my 87 Overall team filled with 85+ players keep getting robbed by a goalie standing on his head, I allow 2-3 goals cause EVERY mishap ends up in the back of the net cause my goalie is trash... VS a 77 overall team.

Then I load up a game VS a 82 overall team with a 69 overall team, game plays smooth a butter, CPU Yzerman and Andreychuk cant hit the broad side of a barn they would almost guaranteed score on Price ... 72 Overall Dylan Gambrell is a pure sniper and 72 overall Vitek Vanecek gets the shutout.

I cant even tell you the last time I got a shutout.

Edit: I eventually lost my 3rd game on allstar 2-0 to an 84 squad. I'll say this, attributes DO make a difference when it comes to puck control and shooting accuracy. I am missing a lot of shots on net by a wide margin and do lose the puck easier but I'm not fighting any latency, my controls feel super smooth, my players are zipping around and they 100% dont fatigue like my 87 team which is the most noticeable thing.

I'd rather lose 2-0 and not feel handicapped then win 5-2 and hate the experience.
    Post edited by Taste-D-Rainbow on
  • EA_Roger

I'll be honest with you I wasn't aware that the option was called that, that wording is unfortunate to say the least..

I checked with one of the FIFA guys what this does. So basically if you are playing on "Amateur" difficulty against the AI and you win 10-0, the game asks you if you want to increase the difficulty to a higher level.

aiey9yirs2gv.png

If you select "Disable dynamic difficult adjustments" it basically means that this pop up won't show up at the end of a game and you can keep on wrecking an AI at a low level.
  • EA_Roger wrote: »

I'll be honest with you I wasn't aware that the option was called that, that wording is unfortunate to say the least..

I checked with one of the FIFA guys what this does. So basically if you are playing on "Amateur" difficulty against the AI and you win 10-0, the game asks you if you want to increase the difficulty to a higher level.

aiey9yirs2gv.png

If you select "Disable dynamic difficult adjustments" it basically means that this pop up won't show up at the end of a game and you can keep on wrecking an AI at a low level.

Nice investigating, but how is this relevant? Isn’t there a FIFA forum somewhere? But yeah let’s instead discuss it here to dodge having to answer about the NHL tilt which we all know full well is real. Not genuinely talking bout it won’t make us any more naive.
  • EA_Roger
    edited October 2
    Mc41DMB wrote: »

aiey9yirs2gv.png

Nice investigating, but how is this relevant? Isn’t there a FIFA forum somewhere? But yeah let’s instead discuss it here to dodge having to answer about the NHL tilt which we all know full well is real. Not genuinely talking bout it won’t make us any more naive.

I encourage you to read through the thread more thoroughly, I was replying to @Steven5470. As for your other point, NHL is one of the rare forums that still allows discussions around ice tilt & the only one where a dev is directly answering questions on the subject, I don't think you can say we are dodging anything.

If the AI will change strategies, is it considered the same as what we have heard in the past before, as in Adaptive AI? Or are we talking about something else?