EA Forums - Banner

Ice Tilt/Dynamic difficulty adjustment - Mega thread

Replies

• Just finished playing the 71 team on allstar. Won 7-0. Game played like my guys were skating with sparq parachutes but I got the win so it's only in my head a little bit.
  • You xbox or ps4? Are your inputs delayed or do you just feel slow? Does it happen only on allstar or all difficulties? Is it completely random?
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    headup81 wrote: »
    The fact that a game developer was here and commented on the issue by denying DDA/Tilt but did not try to collect more information about some eventual bug tells it all i think. He perfectly knows the mechanics behind the issues we are experiencing but act like it´s in our heads.

They screwed up by denying momentum too. Obviously it’s tied to DDA but they could have lied and said it’s part of recreation of realistic hockey or something but no they chose to lie about one the most in your face aspects of the game. Bad move.

Why do you think they're lying? There is no evidence whatsoever that it actually exists. If there were factual evidence and they kept saying it's not real, that would be one thing, but you're making an assumption based heavily on confirmation bias and a lack of accountability. I hear people comment frequently in EASHL games when something happens they don't like. They blame the ice tilt when it's so clear to see the series of events that lead up to it or they conveniently blame the game when a goalie makes a great save or their shot misses the net. There is 0 accountability by people that blame DDA/ice tilt. ZERO. The sad thing is, people would get a lot better at this game if they looked at their mistakes and learned from them. Which is what pro players have done and why they consistently are top performers.

Try playing hut squad battles with a 89+ team, VS a 70 ovr team on all star.

Then do the same, only VS an 86 ovr team.

Go ahead and try explaining why the 70 ovr team is the hard one to beat.

Getting a better team, is not supposed to make weaker teams harder. It's entirely illogical, and if it's not DDA, then it's incompetent workmanship.

I've been playing mostly squad battles and I havnt lost to a superstar AI in a while. My team doesnt play different against 70 or 86. The 70s are just as easy to exploit as the 87s.

I have a hard time believe people are blaming a balancing issue for losing to the ai. I also assume players just arnt as good as they think and cant accept losing, especially to the computer.

It's hard dont get me wrong, but if you cover the slot and dont pull your players out of position while the ai is super passing it's pretty easy.

I have not been caught on a single breakaway attempt by the ai, my players are not stuck in mud, my ai isnt jumbled. I just dont see what others are seeing.

I do however feel delay sometimes in online which severely hurts the experience because the controls are not working with you but I dont think it's because its coded that way.

I think the real truth is, especially on this forum, is that people want any excuse they can think of to bash ea but never want to look at their own performance. Maybe you made a bad pass, maybe you missed the shot, maybe your opponent got a lucky rng bounce. The confirmation bias is a bit out of control.

Try all star lol. I'll bet they got them swapped out or something.

Someone alluded to superstar being easier.

And if you don't see it, then you're willfully ignorant, or it helps you.
    You xbox or ps4? Are your inputs delayed or do you just feel slow? Does it happen only on allstar or all difficulties? Is it completely random?

PS4.

Wired connection.

Running a PS4 speed test gives me 164d/8.9up.

Nothing else using my router.

My guys simply feel 50lbs heavier. When I switch players you can feel time it takes to accelerate after changing.

No it's not random. Lasted the entire game.

Yes allstar difficulty.
    The fact that a game developer was here and commented on the issue by denying DDA/Tilt but did not try to collect more information about some eventual bug tells it all i think. He perfectly knows the mechanics behind the issues we are experiencing but act like it´s in our heads.

They screwed up by denying momentum too. Obviously it’s tied to DDA but they could have lied and said it’s part of recreation of realistic hockey or something but no they chose to lie about one the most in your face aspects of the game. Bad move.

Why do you think they're lying? There is no evidence whatsoever that it actually exists. If there were factual evidence and they kept saying it's not real, that would be one thing, but you're making an assumption based heavily on confirmation bias and a lack of accountability. I hear people comment frequently in EASHL games when something happens they don't like. They blame the ice tilt when it's so clear to see the series of events that lead up to it or they conveniently blame the game when a goalie makes a great save or their shot misses the net. There is 0 accountability by people that blame DDA/ice tilt. ZERO. The sad thing is, people would get a lot better at this game if they looked at their mistakes and learned from them. Which is what pro players have done and why they consistently are top performers.

Getting a better team, is not supposed to make weaker teams harder. It's entirely illogical, and if it's not DDA, then it's incompetent workmanship.

I've been playing mostly squad battles and I havnt lost to a superstar AI in a while. My team doesnt play different against 70 or 86. The 70s are just as easy to exploit as the 87s.

I have a hard time believe people are blaming a balancing issue for losing to the ai. I also assume players just arnt as good as they think and cant accept losing, especially to the computer.

It's hard dont get me wrong, but if you cover the slot and dont pull your players out of position while the ai is super passing it's pretty easy.

I have not been caught on a single breakaway attempt by the ai, my players are not stuck in mud, my ai isnt jumbled. I just dont see what others are seeing.

I do however feel delay sometimes in online which severely hurts the experience because the controls are not working with you but I dont think it's because its coded that way.

I think the real truth is, especially on this forum, is that people want any excuse they can think of to bash ea but never want to look at their own performance. Maybe you made a bad pass, maybe you missed the shot, maybe your opponent got a lucky rng bounce. The confirmation bias is a bit out of control.

And I think that like too many people that play this game, you equate having a valid complaint with performance.

Everything in life is NOT about winning and losing. You can still complain and win (EA's NHL series). You can also be perfectly happy playing a game and losing all the time as long as you enjoy yourself (Dark Souls games).

What we need from this community is less of the "you mad cuz you bad" types and more of the people that genuinely want to help others and try to come together to help make this GAME better without telling them they need to "git gud" so they can enjoy the game... The GAME needs to be better, not the people playing it. If the GAME were better and taught people how to play, then there would be less complaints. Imagine a hockey game that taught people how to play... Y'know... HOCKEY? And then people wouldn't have to complain, because at least they'd be playing something they like.

Win or Lose.

I have and all star is not much of a challange at all for me at least. Superstar is much more challanging imo, but still subseptable to the same easy goals and predictability when they enter the zone. And why would anyone play allstar if superstar is easier and more points? That just doesnt make any sense at all.

Since I'm ignorant, maybe you can post your games so I can have a better understanding of what you, and many others are claiming, because I just am not experiencing my players in an offline mode skating in mud.
    You xbox or ps4? Are your inputs delayed or do you just feel slow? Does it happen only on allstar or all difficulties? Is it completely random?

PS4.

Wired connection.

My guys simply feel 50lbs heavier. When I switch players you can feel time it takes to accelerate after changing.

Yes allstar difficulty.

Are you dropping frames in game? Is your ps4 relatively new or have you had it for a while?
    flyextacy wrote: »

PS4.

Wired connection.

Yes allstar difficulty.

Are you dropping frames in game? Is your ps4 relatively new or have you had it for a while?

PS4 is less than a year old. Not dropping any frames.

Superstar is harder but it it's easier in the sense that there is a lot less "elements" and randomness to battle. There is more consistency with attributes and the separation in attributes is more noticeable.

PS4.

Wired connection.

Yes allstar difficulty.

PS4 is less than a year old. Not dropping any frames.

Superstar is harder but it it's easier in the sense that there is a lot less "elements" and randomness to battle. There is more consistency with attributes and the separation in attributes is more noticeable.

If you play a team of the week does it happen as well?
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1532 posts Member
    edited October 2019

I have and all star is not much of a challange at all for me at least. Superstar is much more challanging imo, but still subseptable to the same easy goals and predictability when they enter the zone. And why would anyone play allstar if superstar is easier and more points? That just doesnt make any sense at all.

Since I'm ignorant, maybe you can post your games so I can have a better understanding of what you, and many others are claiming, because I just am not experiencing my players in an offline mode skating in mud.

I'm playing on superstar right now, up 1-0.... And it actually feels like what all star should feel like. The ai isn't being ultra aggressive mobbing me, making ridiculous interceptions, super fast nigh impossible passing plays. It actually feels like what it's supposed to.

I guess all star is just broken lol.

What's your team overall btw?

And it's not that I'm losing games.
    After playing a game on superstar, it's clear to me someone messed up, and superstar is the easier of the 2 harder difficulties.

The game actually plays and feels good on superstar, but causes me the most rage any game ever made, on all star.

Makes sense. Guess I'll just rack up more points on superstar, and actually enjoy myself now.

[Removed call out]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

And I think that like too many people that play this game, you equate having a valid complaint with performance.

Everything in life is NOT about winning and losing. You can still complain and win (EA's NHL series). You can also be perfectly happy playing a game and losing all the time as long as you enjoy yourself (Dark Souls games).

What we need from this community is less of the "you mad cuz you bad" types and more of the people that genuinely want to help others and try to come together to help make this GAME better without telling them they need to "git gud" so they can enjoy the game... The GAME needs to be better, not the people playing it. If the GAME were better and taught people how to play, then there would be less complaints. Imagine a hockey game that taught people how to play... Y'know... HOCKEY? And then people wouldn't have to complain, because at least they'd be playing something they like.

Win or Lose.

I'm not saying you mad cause you bad, but you cant ignore that as being an honest critique about players of this series. Quick to say the game plays like garbage but if we watch even just a period of someone playing we could see if the problems are user error or coding error.

We are mostly discussing playing against the ai and IMO this game plays the most authentic to hockey against the ai. Online is always the same garbage where hockey IQ is less relevant. But we are talking about against the ai which again in my opinion is where the game shines where you take out the latency issues.

And I agree hockey IQ should be the most rewarded but its still a game and it will never be a perfect recreation of the sport. The fun factor however, this year, is on par for me as 14 was. And to me that's a big step forward as I've been critical of most of the previous years.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Win or Lose.

I'm not saying you mad cause you bad, but you cant ignore that as being an honest critique about players of this series. Quick to say the game plays like garbage but if we watch even just a period of someone playing we could see if the problems are user error or coding error.

We are mostly discussing playing against the ai and IMO this game plays the most authentic to hockey against the ai. Online is always the same garbage where hockey IQ is less relevant. But we are talking about against the ai which again in my opinion is where the game shines where you take out the latency issues.

And I agree hockey IQ should be the most rewarded but its still a game and it will never be a perfect recreation of the sport. The fun factor however, this year, is on par for me as 14 was. And to me that's a big step forward as I've been critical of most of the previous years.

For the record, I was winning. I wasn't having fun.

Playing on superstar has literally fixed every issue I was having.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    rogers2487 wrote: »

Except that alot of aspects of the game are not user controlled, the user has minimal control over weither a shot hits the net or goes wide, it's just a random occurance and the best a user can do is control the cone and attributes and RNG do the rest. Same with getting possession of a loose puck or intercepting a pass, best we can do is skate over or near a puck and the randomness controls the rest, either you pick the puck up or overstate it, not the users fault if its an overstate, just "the game" screwing you. Same with bobbled passes and deaks, you can press all the right buttons and have perfect timing but if the randomness wants you to lose the puck you will through no fault of your own

It's way more in control than you think though. It's not minimal by any means. Your missing the net isn't some random act. If it were, ratings wouldn't matter and it would all be RNG. You can definitely raise your chances of a goal when settling the puck and aiming well. You can raise your chances of a pick up by skating in to the puck correctly so they can reach it on the go. I see so many people hustle over the puck and then complain there's a problem with the game. Bobbled passes are often a result of not being settled or gliding. I see way less bobbled passes than in recent years though.

The game isn't out to screw you. That makes no sense at all. It rewards you for good play, but that doesn't mean every good play is going to be in your favor. There are a ton of variables at play, but you have way more control over them than you think.
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1532 posts Member
    edited October 2019

Except that alot of aspects of the game are not user controlled, the user has minimal control over weither a shot hits the net or goes wide, it's just a random occurance and the best a user can do is control the cone and attributes and RNG do the rest. Same with getting possession of a loose puck or intercepting a pass, best we can do is skate over or near a puck and the randomness controls the rest, either you pick the puck up or overstate it, not the users fault if its an overstate, just "the game" screwing you. Same with bobbled passes and deaks, you can press all the right buttons and have perfect timing but if the randomness wants you to lose the puck you will through no fault of your own

It's way more in control than you think though. It's not minimal by any means. Your missing the net isn't some random act. If it were, ratings wouldn't matter and it would all be RNG. You can definitely raise your chances of a goal when settling the puck and aiming well. You can raise your chances of a pick up by skating in to the puck correctly so they can reach it on the go. I see so many people hustle over the puck and then complain there's a problem with the game. Bobbled passes are often a result of not being settled or gliding. I see way less bobbled passes than in recent years though.

The game isn't out to screw you. That makes no sense at all. It rewards you for good play, but that doesn't mean every good play is going to be in your favor. There are a ton of variables at play, but you have way more control over them than you think.

Playing on all star, it feels like the ai cheats, does impossible things, and like my players were intentionally handicapped.

I just played 4 games on superstar, and every single one, felt normal. There was no moments where I was wondering what on earth just happened. Everything that felt off about all star, was not present at all in superstar.

Even when the ai scored on me, I didn't have to question anything.

I don't know what's going on, but all star feels broken, and gets worse the better your team gets.

*i should specify this is for squad battles.
  • Just finished playing the 71 team on allstar. Won 7-0. Game played like my guys were skating with sparq parachutes but I got the win so it's only in my head a little bit.

You are only supposed to complain about the tilt when you lose your games not when you win. /sarcasm
  • That's interesting. I've not posted much over the years but I've been buying the game every year.

The All Star setting being more challenging than Superstar is something I've seen in previous games as well. Obviously we did not have HUT battles back then, but I could see it playing Be a Pro or Franchise locked on D. This is not the first year I've noticed this. Anyone else have noticed it in the past ? I remember trying to get settings right and as realistic as possible and telling myself someone at EA had mixed up both settings. I'm pretty sure it was in 16 that I had noticed it first and was still present in 17. 18 and 19 I mostly simmed Franchises so didn't notice.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »
    I am just telling you how it works. I can't tell you how you perceive it. I mentioned one example but there are a lot of ways that bias can impact how we view things.

Is it present in online games? In let's say 6v6 games?

For example, Team A gets a big hit which gives them a "momentum" boost where a variety of positive things go their way that wouldn't have if the hit never took place (IE a favorable bounce/rebound, better puck control, more accurate passing, etc.)

If yes, since momentum boosts for Team A affect them positively, at the same time does it affect Team B, only negatively? (IE reduced passing accuracy, reduced puck control etc.)

No, this doesn't exist. We have impacts to your play based on lower stamina or being injured but there isn't a hidden system that is performing in that way.

This is a shame, because if there truly isn't DDA in this game, then that means the game is literally just coded in a way that's incredibly inconsistent which to be honest looks worse than just having DDA in the game and being like "Yeah, our bad". If you're truly being honest about DDA not being in the game (which i'm still not sold on that you are), then you guys really need to take a long hard look at the coding of your game because as has been mentioned, there are times where you might feel like you're stuck in the mud and have the turn radius of a truck, and times you can fly around the ice independent of your attributes. I fully expect you to either clap back with an excuse which EA is known to do when they respond, completely dodge the point and go on a tangent about something else, or not respond at all, because I haven't once seen you guys take responsibility for your flaws in the game. So go ahead, prove me right.

This aged well
  • Sinbin wrote: »

And the random AI play? How do you have control of that? Wether your AI plays superb hockey or is as useless as cones on the ice you have zero control of it and it’s totally random. It’s not DDA, ice tilt, or the game out to screw you but it totally steers the game in a certain direction. It’s either intentionally implemented or it is the most pressing need to be addressed for online play. One team should never be at a disadvantage because of this period.
  • The fact that a game developer was here and commented on the issue by denying DDA/Tilt but did not try to collect more information about some eventual bug tells it all i think. He perfectly knows the mechanics behind the issues we are experiencing but act like it´s in our heads.

That's because he doesn't need to collect as much info as you think. Ice tilt has been a topic for over 7 years. He knows what it is, and has stated no balancing is being run in the back ground.

Now, that doesn't mean I do not find something fishy going on with NHL games the last few years. There is definitely a weird feeling alot of the times in alot of NHL games, but I do not think it is ice tilt. Like, what is it that can make your players play like all stars, then the next game they don't even know hockey basics? Why can you goalie steal 7 goals in a game, then the next he gives up the weirdest turds? If it ain't tilt, then it has to be programming, or in other words, bad coding.

I don't know what it is, but it is there, and it shows.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I'm complaining that there is latency problems in a mode that shouldn't have latency problems which only seems to occur under certain circumstances which ultimately destroys gameplay.

But this isn't even an issue of delay or latency online. It's just blatantly BAD. It's something that should've been fixed before release. Certainly something that should've made it into this recent patch.

Hopefully it's something that makes it into the next patch, because holy jeebus... It's BAD!!

I agree. It is blatantly bad in many aspects. It has gotten to the point the game disgusts me. It isn't hockey. I don't care what it says on the box, it isn't hockey.

The only way this game can be gratifying, and/or fun, is if you absolutely need gratification as a one-man show that just has to score goals. It is clear, the game is tailored for that type of player. I've been around hockey nearly my whole life, and this game has none of it. This game has trashed almost everything else about hockey that has nothing to do with dangles and snipes.

Why is it if you play an F1 game, the game makes you feel like you are racing the fastest cars in the world with consistent outcomes and actually a qualified pit crew?

Why is it when you play fighting games, the controller input does exactly what you want when you want?

Why is it that pretty much any single game that has offensive measures, there are equal defensive counters?

The point is, pretty much any game makes you feel like you think you should when you think about that game. Now, when I play D in NHL games, why do I feel like a hippo on skates that shies away from all physical contact, but I am supposed to feel like a defender that dictates where the carrier will go? Why do I feel like I cannot intimidate a puck carrier that just bullies his way through with a puck? Why do I feel useless with a 6 foot 3 DD man when I try to hit a Dangler that is off balance while curling his stick behind his back, while coming in at an angle, and yet somehow, I can't even disrupt his shot, let alone plow him to the ice?? I know why. It takes me 4 seconds to "recuperate" form a missed hit because apparently when you bounce off a player in real life, you should get physically "stunned" by it and needless to say, when you curl a stick behind your back it actually grants you more balance and physical prowess in real life.... (yea, that's sarcasm right there and in 4k).

The point is, when I play I don't feel like a D man. I feel like an annoyance that can be bypassed and dealt with.

When I play goalie, I feel like a movable cardboard cutout that prays the puck hits him.

But I am no expert in video game creation because from what I hear, this game is in a good place right now.....