EA Forums - Banner

Goalie Pokechecks...

Above1988
80 posts Member
edited October 2019
Ok this just needs to be toned down EA.

Goalies basically auto-lock on pokecheck the puck off you whenever you move in close at any angle.

I know its a real thing but it happens way too often and also when there's like no way that the goalie could have realistically identified what you were trying to do with the puck, and commited to knocking it off your stick with a 99% chance rate of success , as opposed to minding the net.

Really frustrating when you completely dip, deke, dive, dodge and dangle through your opponent's complete line of defense, only to get the puck poked by the AI goalie.... Especially when it happens like 5 times in a single game!

Like Sure, Ok EA! But why stop there!? How bout whenever the goalie makes a glove save, he steps up and leads the forecheck on a breakout and scores against you with a slapshot from the red line!

Seriously though just take it out of the game, its really annoying .

Post edited by Above1988 on

Replies

• Kuus2
    213 posts Member
    Goalies are very easy to beat already. I fail to see why scoring would need to be any easier.
  • Kuus2 wrote: »
    Goalies are very easy to beat already. I fail to see why scoring would need to be any easier.

Ok have fun getting poked by AI goalies because of how "easy" the game is for you...

Please.

• LOL. Unreal. Now goalies are poking too much for players that are practically in the crease? If you are that close to the goalie, might be a good time to shoot instead of going for the single go-to goal that most people use.

Maybe goalies and D men should have no sticks for 21.
  • please Wain don't give EA any ideas
  • please Wain don't give EA any ideas

My apologies. It won't happen again. Buuut, on the flip side, I think my ideas fall on deaf ears anyways lol.
  • I actually think it’s the opposite....online it’s way to easy to waltz out of the corner, cross right in front of the goalie, and put the puck in far side. It’s one of the cheese money goals. I wish the goalie would poke the puck away.
  • It's strange. Sometimes I see the goalie poke a lot, and other times he doesn't poke at all. Maybe it has to do with builds, speed, and puck handling. Either way, the poke check seems to be the only thing not making penalty shots go in 100% of the time.
  • Above1988
    80 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    LOL. Unreal. Now goalies are poking too much for players that are practically in the crease? If you are that close to the goalie, might be a good time to shoot instead of going for the single go-to goal that most people use.

No. Unfortunately the "go-to" goals still work, And thats why everyone does them...

What im talking about is when you are puck handling and cycling appropriately and actually beat the human player on defense , the goalie will always just smack the puck of your stick like an auto lock-on robot.

They do it on wraps, jukes, dekes, dangles. Pretty much anything.
  • I wouldn't mind if the goalies were harder to score on at least show us what this goalie threat analysis is , because I don't see it do any of u see it??
  • Goalie poke check has been in there for years, logically when a goalie should be making a save with his leg or catcher/blocker, he decides to poke instead and if you time the deke properly he's left open for the 5-hole shot.

AI has never been smart in the NHL series with the current gen (PS4/XB1). Just cheese it.
  • Above1988 wrote: »
    LOL. Unreal. Now goalies are poking too much for players that are practically in the crease? If you are that close to the goalie, might be a good time to shoot instead of going for the single go-to goal that most people use.

No. Unfortunately the "go-to" goals still work, And thats why everyone does them...

What im talking about is when you are puck handling and cycling appropriately and actually beat the human player on defense , the goalie will always just smack the puck of your stick like an auto lock-on robot.

Sounds like you are too close to the net. Either way, if you are close enough to get poked, you should be getting poked. I do not think it is out of hand, and again, if you are in poking distance, maybe you should be shooting at that point.

Unless you are saying goalies are poking away every single pass that comes close to them, then I could probably agree with you. But goalies are trash this year in general, so you know, maybe this is acceptable.
  • Above1988 wrote: »

Then you'd probably hate playing real hockey as goalies use their sticks to knock back not only pucks from a player trying to deke too close, but they also deflect any pass or stray puck that comes within spitting distance, they use their sticks on wraparounds. They'll even use their sticks/paddles to stop a shot that's behind them.

If anything the goalies in EA's NHL don't use their sticks nearly enough. When I was playing competition hockey as a goalie, I'd use to go through at least 3-4 sticks per season from all the abuse they'd see. And those things are expensive as all heck when you gotta pay for them yourself, so you try to take care of them as much as possible. In the NHL goalies must go through at least 4-5 times as many sticks per season.

But we already know what you're gonna say: this isn't real hockey, it's a video game. Well, there you go... Enjoy your video game!