EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

This generation was such a waste

Replies

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »

Why is the answer always people need to get better? It’s such a broad stroke answer that never really addresses the issues people have. You know it is quite possible to be very good at this game and still dislike the direction it’s taken.

It's fine to be good at the game and dislike it. However, the truly good players don't blame the game for their own mistakes. There's a big difference between not liking the direction it's going and saying your wins are scripted or your opponent benefits from artificial momentum.

Forgive me if I am out of line or totally wrong here, but it seems like you are just blindly defending a point while grasping at straws. Here is my take on current gen "hockey" so far:

NHL 15. So bare bones and a total jip, I think nothing else needs to be added other than maybe this should have been a $19,99 game.

NHL 16. Goalies were spazzing out and facing their own nets, and may I remind you, was coincidentally fixed the same day NHL 17 came out, but the patch was called NHL 17 and it cost only $79,99
    Pass receptions were bad and people bobbled tons of passes. It was fixed yet again with the NHL 17 patch for a mere $79,99
    AI was partially improved, but still suffered the same problems from previous gen.

NHL 17 Goalies were floating 2 inches above the ice and allowing goals under their pads while in perfect position. It was partially fixed in a patch called NHL 18 and the patch was a mere $79,99
    AI was practically untouched and still suffered the same problems as previous gen. It was also practically a copy/paste of 16.

NHL 18 saw the addition of the DSS which is great. Great improvement there.
    Gameplay and AI was essentially the same as NHL 14, but the DSS added a slightly different dynamic. AI was hardly touched. The game suffered from room Captain lag and was not fixed for pretty much that whole year. Also the year where EASHL customization was bigger than ever before.

NHL 19 addition of RPM and the removal of TPS. By far the greatest improvement in current gen and was a massive improvement over any game from NHL 13-18.
    For the first time in the franchise, puck hogging was exceptionally hard to pull off and goalies were actually doing their jobs. Physical play was fun, it was rewarding to pressure a puck carrier and everybody felt swift and agile on the ice. Yup, people whined and there you go, game got reverted back to 18 style while not allowing poke spamming. Eventually the game got reverted back to middle ground of 18-19. Still not as fun as 19 originally was, but better than 18. Then LT abuse got discovered and ruined the game completely.
    Indoor rinks and uniforms got removed for dropins and they goofed out the mode with outdoor rinks. Feel safe to say a vast majority of players hate it. It was so horribly implemented that now we get white Addidas vs black Addidas. Was a waste of resources and time imo when a vast majority of those 900 items cannot even be used in a 6s game. Dressing room errors plagued the game for pretty much all year.
    AI still suffered for the most part very similar issues of previous years. Goal horns got removed to make room for what I consider a horrible soundtrack. Music is too personal and should not be used in a hockey game unless the focus is to allow custom music as it was on previous gen.

NHL 20 is pretty much a copy/paste of 19, but very much angled towards 18. If NHL 19 is essentially NHL 18.5, then NHL 20 is essentially NHL 18.25
    NHL 20 does add alot of new animations, especially on pass receptions and shooting. Looks really good and great work. But these new animations leads to defenders picking off passes they have no business picking off.
    LT abuse is just as bad despite time and resources being wasted on a "fix" that is just not fixing anything at all about it. Even though a very big portion of the playerbase complained about the goof gear and outdoor rinks, it was not removed. Not only was it not removed, it was actually built upon. Physical play is less effective than 19 and AI was not touched from 19.
    Also, players are still getting labeled and graded as a Centerman for what, the last 4 years now? Still not fixed.

So let's recap the good and the bad:

Good:

-DSS
    -New shot and pass reception animations
    -Addition of certain modes. 3's arcade is a little fun at times when all you want to do is smash people
    around and goof around. Ones I guess can be fun for certain people.
    -EASHL customization.
    -Perk mods to EASHL players
    -TPS was demolished and sent back to the abyss.
    -Franchise mode has seen some improvements and additions.

Other than player perks and the removal of custom attributes, this is all current gen offers over past gen.

The bad:

-Online GM is still missing.
    -Be a Pro hasn't been touched.
    -Goofy mode gear and mentality in EASHL dropins. Feels like Fortnite Hockey.
    -AI is still horrible and has been for several years.
    -Coaching strats are for the most part untouched or unchanged in about 10 years. Same goes for board
    play and faceoffs.
    -Trolling has never been resolved since NHL 09.
    -Lobbies were never put in so we can do custom matches.
    -Team practice has yet to be implemented.

Every single release has had a major issue or massive bug, save for NHL 20

I fail to see any significant improvements anywhere as every step forward has lead to steps back on this gen of consoles.

Points well made. I got this thread mixed up with the one about DDA/ice tilt. My mistake.

One major thing that makes this game less fun than it used to be is the level of competition. While I still have that same fun playing a buddy sitting next to me on the couch, online play has turned in to win at all costs. And then, when you do win, chances are decent you're going to get hateful messages from who you just beat. HUT has no friendly spirit of competition. The idea of it is fantastic, but it also brings out the worst in people. You can put some blame on the game for making it an economy driven mode. Whether you play for free or spend money on packs, that doesn't take away that there's a lot of in game progress you are constantly competing for. Online leaderboards also contribute to this. Instead of playing for fun, it's now about seeing your name on the top of a list and, again, doing whatever it takes to get there. Not everyone of course, but many are hyper competitive. Then you have people trolling and making highly offensive names. I totally get some trash talk. This is hockey after all, but people resorting to exploiting the game, winning at all costs, sending hateful messages and creating players with super offensive names takes away from what I remember as being a very fun game of friendly competition.

So, for me, it's not the modes, or lack thereof. It's not the gameplay either. It's the people that play it that take away from what otherwise could be an incredibly fun, online hockey experience.
  • Mr Jake I agree with your post 100%
  • This game is horrendous.

Pass interceptions are beyond ridiculous.

It should be simple. If a player (regardless if its a teammate or opponent) is not facing the direction of where the puck is passed, they SHOULD NOT be able to steal it and have it automatically glue to their stick.

A 2on1 breakaway should not favor the defenseman. Please for the love of god fix the interceptions. If they're looking at it, then yes, let them take it. Otherwise, there is NO reason someone not facing, nor looking at the puck should steal it and have it glue to their stick.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »

Why is the answer always people need to get better? It’s such a broad stroke answer that never really addresses the issues people have. You know it is quite possible to be very good at this game and still dislike the direction it’s taken.

It's fine to be good at the game and dislike it. However, the truly good players don't blame the game for their own mistakes. There's a big difference between not liking the direction it's going and saying your wins are scripted or your opponent benefits from artificial momentum.

Forgive me if I am out of line or totally wrong here, but it seems like you are just blindly defending a point while grasping at straws. Here is my take on current gen "hockey" so far:

NHL 15. So bare bones and a total jip, I think nothing else needs to be added other than maybe this should have been a $19,99 game.

NHL 16. Goalies were spazzing out and facing their own nets, and may I remind you, was coincidentally fixed the same day NHL 17 came out, but the patch was called NHL 17 and it cost only $79,99
    Pass receptions were bad and people bobbled tons of passes. It was fixed yet again with the NHL 17 patch for a mere $79,99
    AI was partially improved, but still suffered the same problems from previous gen.

NHL 17 Goalies were floating 2 inches above the ice and allowing goals under their pads while in perfect position. It was partially fixed in a patch called NHL 18 and the patch was a mere $79,99
    AI was practically untouched and still suffered the same problems as previous gen. It was also practically a copy/paste of 16.

NHL 18 saw the addition of the DSS which is great. Great improvement there.
    Gameplay and AI was essentially the same as NHL 14, but the DSS added a slightly different dynamic. AI was hardly touched. The game suffered from room Captain lag and was not fixed for pretty much that whole year. Also the year where EASHL customization was bigger than ever before.

NHL 19 addition of RPM and the removal of TPS. By far the greatest improvement in current gen and was a massive improvement over any game from NHL 13-18.
    For the first time in the franchise, puck hogging was exceptionally hard to pull off and goalies were actually doing their jobs. Physical play was fun, it was rewarding to pressure a puck carrier and everybody felt swift and agile on the ice. Yup, people whined and there you go, game got reverted back to 18 style while not allowing poke spamming. Eventually the game got reverted back to middle ground of 18-19. Still not as fun as 19 originally was, but better than 18. Then LT abuse got discovered and ruined the game completely.
    Indoor rinks and uniforms got removed for dropins and they goofed out the mode with outdoor rinks. Feel safe to say a vast majority of players hate it. It was so horribly implemented that now we get white Addidas vs black Addidas. Was a waste of resources and time imo when a vast majority of those 900 items cannot even be used in a 6s game. Dressing room errors plagued the game for pretty much all year.
    AI still suffered for the most part very similar issues of previous years. Goal horns got removed to make room for what I consider a horrible soundtrack. Music is too personal and should not be used in a hockey game unless the focus is to allow custom music as it was on previous gen.

NHL 20 is pretty much a copy/paste of 19, but very much angled towards 18. If NHL 19 is essentially NHL 18.5, then NHL 20 is essentially NHL 18.25
    NHL 20 does add alot of new animations, especially on pass receptions and shooting. Looks really good and great work. But these new animations leads to defenders picking off passes they have no business picking off.
    LT abuse is just as bad despite time and resources being wasted on a "fix" that is just not fixing anything at all about it. Even though a very big portion of the playerbase complained about the goof gear and outdoor rinks, it was not removed. Not only was it not removed, it was actually built upon. Physical play is less effective than 19 and AI was not touched from 19.
    Also, players are still getting labeled and graded as a Centerman for what, the last 4 years now? Still not fixed.

So let's recap the good and the bad:

Good:

-DSS
    -New shot and pass reception animations
    -Addition of certain modes. 3's arcade is a little fun at times when all you want to do is smash people
    around and goof around. Ones I guess can be fun for certain people.
    -EASHL customization.
    -Perk mods to EASHL players
    -TPS was demolished and sent back to the abyss.
    -Franchise mode has seen some improvements and additions.

Other than player perks and the removal of custom attributes, this is all current gen offers over past gen.

The bad:

-Online GM is still missing.
    -Be a Pro hasn't been touched.
    -Goofy mode gear and mentality in EASHL dropins. Feels like Fortnite Hockey.
    -AI is still horrible and has been for several years.
    -Coaching strats are for the most part untouched or unchanged in about 10 years. Same goes for board
    play and faceoffs.
    -Trolling has never been resolved since NHL 09.
    -Lobbies were never put in so we can do custom matches.
    -Team practice has yet to be implemented.

Every single release has had a major issue or massive bug, save for NHL 20

I fail to see any significant improvements anywhere as every step forward has lead to steps back on this gen of consoles.

Points well made. I got this thread mixed up with the one about DDA/ice tilt. My mistake.

One major thing that makes this game less fun than it used to be is the level of competition. While I still have that same fun playing a buddy sitting next to me on the couch, online play has turned in to win at all costs. And then, when you do win, chances are decent you're going to get hateful messages from who you just beat. HUT has no friendly spirit of competition. The idea of it is fantastic, but it also brings out the worst in people. You can put some blame on the game for making it an economy driven mode. Whether you play for free or spend money on packs, that doesn't take away that there's a lot of in game progress you are constantly competing for. Online leaderboards also contribute to this. Instead of playing for fun, it's now about seeing your name on the top of a list and, again, doing whatever it takes to get there. Not everyone of course, but many are hyper competitive. Then you have people trolling and making highly offensive names. I totally get some trash talk. This is hockey after all, but people resorting to exploiting the game, winning at all costs, sending hateful messages and creating players with super offensive names takes away from what I remember as being a very fun game of friendly competition.

So, for me, it's not the modes, or lack thereof. It's not the gameplay either. It's the people that play it that take away from what otherwise could be an incredibly fun, online hockey experience.

For sure the community does not embellish this game. It's like everyone is out to crush their opponent, and if they can't crush you on the ice, then they need to try and crush you with offensive messages. Quite the joke really.
  • DocShady
    6 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Well this thread blew up. I'll be honest, I had a long day when I made this post. Work was busting my ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and I came home, cracked a case of Guinness, and all I wanted to do was enjoy the game. Its been hard to do that this generation. What keeps me coming back is the people. Win record, stats, etc don't matter. Gameplay does, people do.

15 on the XB1/PS4 was a joke. This is pretty much a given fact at this point and, lets face it, was pretty much expected because EA. But I had hopes that as the series progressed, Rammer and the boys would put more effort into refining it, making it better. 20 is a better game then 16 up. Well maybe not 17, but thats just opinion. This current generation hasn't improved at the rate that it did with the previous generation.

If another sports title had full team drop ins like the NHL series has, I'd be on that in a second.
  • DocShady wrote: »
    Well this thread blew up. I'll be honest, I had a long day when I made this post. Work was busting my ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and I came home, cracked a case of Guinness, and all I wanted to do was enjoy the game. Its been hard to do that this generation. What keeps me coming back is the people. Win record, stats, etc don't matter. Gameplay does, people do.

15 on the XB1/PS4 was a joke. This is pretty much a given fact at this point and, lets face it, was pretty much expected because EA. But I had hopes that as the series progressed, Rammer and the boys would put more effort into refining it, making it better. 20 is a better game then 16 up. Well maybe not 17, but thats just opinion. This current generation hasn't improved at the rate that it did with the previous generation.

If another sports title had full team drop ins like the NHL series has, I'd be on that in a second.

Doc did you get a chance to play the 19 beta? That was the only version that my hockey-playing friends enjoyed.
    EASHL player

Doc did you get a chance to play the 19 beta? That was the only version that my hockey-playing friends enjoyed.

I did not. Work was crazy at that time.

I hear that it was good. Leave it to EA to find something good and completely cleanse their colon with it.
  • I think I will probably skip next year and the year after that, seeing as there a new gen of consoles coming... Maybe then see if this franchise has any legs to stand on?
    DocShady wrote: »

I hear that it was good. Leave it to EA to find something good and completely cleanse their colon with it.

It was the best hockey this studio had put out, bar none, in at least the last 10 years. It was fast, responsive and quite the pleasure to play. Physical play was fun and actually a good strategy to use against raggers and ballerinas down in the corners.
    Goalies were making saves on the garbage shots as they should and they were actually pretty good on breakaways. A select few complained that goalies were making saves and that defense actually stopped you from scoring if you didn't move the puck and cycle. Next thing you know, game went out the window.

I played the beta and paid close to $90 for NHL 19 because it was awesome, fun and you know, it was actually hockey. Within 3 weeks garbage NHL 18 tuner comes back and basically screwed me out of my $90 because it was not even close to what I had purchased.

It was the best hockey this studio had put out, bar none, in at least the last 10 years. It was fast, responsive and quite the pleasure to play. Physical play was fun and actually a good strategy to use against raggers and ballerinas down in the corners.
    Goalies were making saves on the garbage shots as they should and they were actually pretty good on breakaways. A select few complained that goalies were making saves and that defense actually stopped you from scoring if you didn't move the puck and cycle. Next thing you know, game went out the window.

I played the beta and paid close to $90 for NHL 19 because it was awesome, fun and you know, it was actually hockey. Within 3 weeks garbage NHL 18 tuner comes back and basically screwed me out of my $90 because it was not even close to what I had purchased.

That's a gross exaggeration. Yes the NHL19 beta had better gameplay before the tuner updates, but it still had outdoor rinks, neutered attribute system, no lobbies, hockey bags, no custom camera, etc.

The best Hockey was last gen, NHL12-15.

It is really too bad that you can't return open/used games when the developers go and kill them with bad tuners and updates. As players we basically have no rights when bad games happen, at least not on PlayStation or Xbox.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

I'd argue truly good players have the ability to separate between their mistake, and the game not performing correctly.

That's a gross exaggeration. Yes the NHL19 beta had better gameplay before the tuner updates, but it still had outdoor rinks, neutered attribute system, no lobbies, hockey bags, no custom camera, etc.

I don't care about the settings and rinks and chel bags. I was talking about gameplay.

12-15 was not the best. Sorry, it is your opinion and I do not agree with it. 13 was the first year of TPS and was garbage. Goalies literally just had to butterfly on the goal line and not move. 14 was the first year the D somehow got gimped. 15 was just another year of it and for yet a second year, just forcing passes through 4 people for cross crease cheese.

13-Legacy was crap for balance from forwards to D.

16, 17, 18 were junk all around and 19 became 18 junk for quite awhile.

It is really too bad that you can't return open/used games when the developers go and kill them with bad tuners and updates. As players we basically have no rights when bad games happen, at least not on PlayStation or Xbox.

Exactly. The game was completely changed into something not advertised and especially into something I would not pay for.

You have to not buy it next year, we all knew the game was going to be bad.
  • zingaa1 wrote: »

You have to not buy it next year, we all knew the game was going to be bad.

Well that's tough.

I didn't buy 20 after playing the beta, 19 still has a good enough player base to play online during weekend busy hours.

But next year it jumps to a next gen console, and I don't want to be without a Hockey game to play. I do remember the PS4/XB1 NHL15 debacle, hopefully they learned their lesson.
  • HurricaneFza
    244 posts Member
    edited October 2019

I think he was referring to the gameplay of the beta. It was the best hockey in my opinion. It was actual hockey. They should have let the tuners the way it was, then focus on the extras you mentioned.

C'mon @NHLDev, can you not see all these negative comments about gameplay? There are probably 100 people who think the gameplay is fine, why cater to the few when it's obvious the masses want change? How hard would it be to turn it back to the 19 beta or very similar? It's like you go out of your way to disappoint the majority of your fan base.

I think he was referring to the gameplay of the beta. It was the best hockey in my opinion. It was actual hockey. They should have let the tuners the way it was, then focus on the extras you mentioned.

C'mon @NHLDev, can you not see all these negative comments about gameplay? There are probably 100 people who think the gameplay is fine, why cater to the few when it's obvious the masses want change? How hard would it be to turn it back to the 19 beta or very similar? It's like you go out of your way to disappoint the majority of your fan base.

Yup my bad. Game play for the 19 beta, albeit short, I remember it being decent.

I think they cater to the game changers and youtubers mostly, for game play.
    They also make sure HUT is nice and polished to get the kids parents to keep forking out $$ for the micro-transactions.

I don't know how much thought they put into Reddit or EA forum posters ideas.

Yup my bad. Game play for the 19 beta, albeit short, I remember it being decent.

I think they cater to the game changers and youtubers mostly, for game play.
    They also make sure HUT is nice and polished to get the kids parents to keep forking out $$ for the micro-transactions.

I don't know how much thought they put into Reddit or EA forum posters ideas.

I loved the beta.

Yeah, I agree. Cater to the few who have influence. I get it, but if they keep making the game like this no body is gonna play.

Zero thought. It's very evident. It's a shame.
  • Actually wouldn't surprise me if they just carried the game over to PS5, and menus, UI, responsiveness, sim speed, ect. was still incredibly slow and outdated, but with some polish to graphics and font/color changes.