EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Feel like I wasted my $109

This year's NHL feels just like the past few years'. I pre-ordered the $99 version ($109 after tax) and after playing several of the modes I am convinced I wasted my money. Basically, an extra $40 got me more HUT packs. No real positive difference in gameplay or mechanics, absolutely no changes in the build portion of Franchise mode, and rosters still require work. Not impressed. Disappointed I spent that much money for nothing. Won't happen again.

Replies

• This year's NHL feels just like the past few years'. I pre-ordered the $99 version ($109 after tax) and after playing several of the modes I am convinced I wasted my money. Basically, an extra $40 got me more HUT packs. No real positive difference in gameplay or mechanics, absolutely no changes in the build portion of Franchise mode, and rosters still require work. Not impressed. Disappointed I spent that much money for nothing. Won't happen again.

Not ea’s fault man...you know exactly what you’re getting with the preorder...also....Plenty of online reviews and YouTube videos telling you what has changed from the previous year.
  • It’s every year the same. First the big Hype, than customer got disappointing and say that will never buy again.
  • They fail to realize no one wants to play franchise if the rosters are trash. What’s the point of adding all these features (which in the grand scheme of things they’re still missing ALOT compared to other games) if the rosters are terrible?

• This year's NHL feels just like the past few years'. I pre-ordered the $99 version ($109 after tax) and after playing several of the modes I am convinced I wasted my money. Basically, an extra $40 got me more HUT packs. No real positive difference in gameplay or mechanics, absolutely no changes in the build portion of Franchise mode, and rosters still require work. Not impressed. Disappointed I spent that much money for nothing. Won't happen again.

Well, that all depends on what you were expecting. If you spent an extra $40 and play Franchise, then why complain when it is blatantly clear the extra $40 is for HUT packs? Sure, the top edition let's you play 3 days earlier and you get bonus packs. That's it. Everything else is the same as the base version. Paying $40 more will not give you extra Franchise options.

• EA NHL learned us the last years not to expect much. This is valid for all modes and the gameplay. Most of long time customers should know that.
  • I always pre order standard. You can always buy extra packs when you feel like if any at all.

Not ea’s fault man...you know exactly what you’re getting with the preorder...also....Plenty of online reviews and YouTube videos telling you what has changed from the previous year.

That is why i'll never get anything other than standard edition again. I'd rather play something else or spend time with the wife then waste 20-40 bucks for 2 days early access. Only game i'm aware of that does it. Total rip off
  • I bought in to EA Access. This gave me 10 hours of game play so i can see if it was a pre order for me or not. Seems like a wait for a sale game. That being said.......franchise mode with the alumni version of my team winning the cup is great me :)
  • Froommey
    791 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    To be honest and fair. They did something in Franchise mode with the new Coaching system and some small minor things in other modes and they also added the last year promised Legends to offline mode like Franchise. But from my sight of view by far not enough to make a big step forward. Personally will wait what they will do in following patches and updates during the next weeks or month. It’s no secret that I, and other customer are big fans of player likenesses, Goalie masks and better statistics as this Game has in now..
  • You had ample time to make your decision. Prior to 9/10 there were more than enough videos/articles/releases to research on what would be in NHL 20. There was a free to play beta as well as EA Access 10 hour trial for BOTH consoles this year. Lastly, when you are choosing between Standard, Deluxe, and Premium editions of the game they are very clear on what you get when you do that.

Sounds like you set yourself up cuz. How can one have all that information available only to be blindly ignored while someone spends $109 and is now disappointed?
  • Dude pays for packs and is surprised to be disappointed? Sorry but not sorry.

I haven't been disappointed for the past 6 years. I play the beta and after the game comes out I watch reviews on YouTube and decide NOT to buy it.
  • Why anybody would give EA extra money for a game riddled with flaws and bugs is beyond me. The $70 we shell out for the product we receive is outrageous to begin with, and then you’re gonna throw more money at them? For what? So you can have your name at the top of a stupid video game leaderboard.

Not singling out the OP, just speaking generally.

I’ve never have, and never will give EA another red cent more than they deserve.
  • They fail to realize no one wants to play franchise if the rosters are trash. What’s the point of adding all these features (which in the grand scheme of things they’re still missing ALOT compared to other games) if the rosters are terrible?

I'm beginning to think it's intended that way and it's a tactic they're trying to use to funnel maybe a few more players to HUT.

Hear me out:

First, they entice the disenfranchised Franchise players with some new additions and hype it so they really think it's changed the mode for the better (which we now know the coaches addition is just half baked, poorly implemented, and not really all that interesting in a game that still suffers from Legacy issues).

As players start to realize how boring and shallow the mode is, hopefully the Sunk/Cost Fallacy kicks in and even though they want to abandon the mode, they don't want to abandon the game because of the money they spent. So, they talk themselves into trying other modes, "well, I spent all this money and FF7 doesn't come out 'til March, so..."

They try Be a Pro... can anyone say booooooring!

They try World of CHEL, maybe they get stuck here if they can find a good team to play on, but if drop-in is mostly what they're playing, they'll be out soon with a new and more negative view of humanity.

Uh oh, what's left? Champions League? pffft. HUT, friggin HUT. Maybe, just maybe, they get addicted like the other dummies that are feeding this monster.... this....this...this offline game mode destroyer.

I know what you're thinking, "dat's stoopid, yo, I wouldn't fall for that, yo". Aaaahhh, but they don't need you to fall for that, (you'll be back next year to chip in another $60 when they announce there will be signing bonuses added to BaGM) they just need enough dummies to get hooked on HUT.

I mean, there's some evidence that supports the sabotaging and trickery:

No GM connected and no roster sharing. 2 things that would definitely keep players engaged in BaGM and not in HUT.

Madden and FIFA suffer from similar issues - they're offline modes STINK. Basic functions of those modes are failing... come one! Bad design or intended grief? And don't give me "what about Volta"? Volta is the bate for a soon to be MONOTIZED version of Fortnight for Soccer (sorry, futbol). You know it's coming.
  • rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    They fail to realize no one wants to play franchise if the rosters are trash. What’s the point of adding all these features (which in the grand scheme of things they’re still missing ALOT compared to other games) if the rosters are terrible?

I'm beginning to think it's intended that way and it's a tactic they're trying to use to funnel maybe a few more players to HUT.

Hear me out:

First, they entice the disenfranchised Franchise players with some new additions and hype it so they really think it's changed the mode for the better (which we now know the coaches addition is just half baked, poorly implemented, and not really all that interesting in a game that still suffers from Legacy issues).

As players start to realize how boring and shallow the mode is, hopefully the Sunk/Cost Fallacy kicks in and even though they want to abandon the mode, they don't want to abandon the game because of the money they spent. So, they talk themselves into trying other modes, "well, I spent all this money and FF7 doesn't come out 'til March, so..."

They try Be a Pro... can anyone say booooooring!

They try World of CHEL, maybe they get stuck here if they can find a good team to play on, but if drop-in is mostly what they're playing, they'll be out soon with a new and more negative view of humanity.

Uh oh, what's left? Champions League? pffft. HUT, friggin HUT. Maybe, just maybe, they get addicted like the other dummies that are feeding this monster.... this....this...this offline game mode destroyer.

I know what you're thinking, "dat's stoopid, yo, I wouldn't fall for that, yo". Aaaahhh, but they don't need you to fall for that, (you'll be back next year to chip in another $60 when they announce there will be signing bonuses added to BaGM) they just need enough dummies to get hooked on HUT.

I mean, there's some evidence that supports the sabotaging and trickery:

No GM connected and no roster sharing. 2 things that would definitely keep players engaged in BaGM and not in HUT.

Madden and FIFA suffer from similar issues - they're offline modes STINK. Basic functions of those modes are failing... come one! Bad design or intended grief? And don't give me "what about Volta"? Volta is the bate for a soon to be MONOTIZED version of Fortnight for Soccer (sorry, futbol). You know it's coming.

Nice points, but in my honest opinion, HUT is what is keeping this game afloat. Without that extra revenue, why make this game?
  • Yep. HUT is where it's at. I bought a Xbox a couple years ago just for Ultimate Team in NHL & FIFA. I even hooked a couple of acquaintances on HUT this season, they're first video games in years too.

I picked up Madden to give it a try this year but I think my feelings about football in real life keeps me from enjoying the game as much as I'd like. Basketball has never worked for me in a game but I've not really tried one since Tecmo NBA.

I would like them to try a baseball game if they could ever get the MLBPA on board. RBI was cool for NES but not that great now. The Show is supposed to be a better game but I'd have to get a Play Station and I'm not down for having multiple consoles.
  • ^

The Show is a very good game.

The graphics are stellar. Game play is good. Virtually every player looks like his real life counterpart. And there are weekly roster updates. There’s roster sharing. Player creation and sharing. And even a logo creator.

Only thing that bothers me is that they don’t have an agreement with the minor league players association, so there are no real players in any of those leagues. Thankfully they do have roster sharing, something that this community has been asking for years now, and there are a few guys who go the extra mile and make all the missing players.

Yeah, it’s got a few bugs here and there, and I can’t speak to online gameplay because I only play offline, but it’s still a solid game and well worth the price.
  • It took me 3 weeks to redo the whole roster , i created more then 60 players ...
    EA roster is awful ...a guy score 4 goals in 80 game and he as a 85 shooting accuracy ??
    it s full of dumb stuff like that ...so i went each team roster one by one and the 2020 prospects

after all that the game is pretty good (for me the best since legacy on ps3)...but their is one thing ..don t apply their patch or or tuner it turn the
    game to trash ...the skating go back to last year game ..so i use the original version ...

i play all star,here a couples of sliders... i use for both cpu and human ..it make this game fun
    game speed 3/6
    players acc 33
    players speed 77
    player agility 76
    agresiveness 20
    checking 18
    pass acuracy 20
    pass int 10
    players rating effect10/10
    fatigue effect 100
    recovery 70

that just the one i remember im not home so i cant give you the whole thing

but for me it s the best game in years

cheers

MRSENATEURS
  • Easiest response ever: You did
  • Dracolitch77
    59 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Thank God Ididn't buy it. I'll probably wait till its 80% off in a month.