EA Forums - Banner

Not playing online anymore

GramerProfesur
561 posts Member
edited October 2019
Until LT is fixed. This is actually ridiculous. All the 1000-1500 CR guys just spam it all game. You can’t poke it because it’s a penalty and you can’t rub them out. Have to wait and stay on them but more than likely they’re a sniper and will just LT until they get up to the top of the circle and fire it in. Rinse repeat rinse repeat

It’s just not fun anymore and I notice it’s happening more this week with the kiddies home for fall break. This online community is toxic as hell

Before anyone says something stupid like adapt or get better at the game I’m consistently one of the best dmen I’ve see and constantly get game invites.

Replies

• I think the majority here would agree with you
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I think the L2 may become more tolerable if the puck handling animation while using L2 was different (more realistic?).

I am not a hockey player, but if I think about myself doing turns like with L2, I would have the puck closer to my torso. This would make the player a clearer target and it would negate the ”deke” effect the wide radius of the puck causes.

Other than that I like how the L2 works currently. More responsive movement is always good in my opinion.
  • boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Kuus2 wrote: »
    I think the L2 may become more tolerable if the puck handling animation while using L2 was different (more realistic?).

I am not a hockey player, but if I think about myself doing turns like with L2, I would have the puck closer to my torso. This would make the player a clearer target and it would negate the ”deke” effect the wide radius of the puck causes.

Other than that I like how the L2 works currently. More responsive movement is always good in my opinion.

The animation for LT(L2) is pretty realistic. The main problem is that it is unbreakable. While a player is transitioning for backward to forward skating, you can’t do anything to stop him. If you poke check, you get a penalty. If you try to hit, you miss them because the animation cannot be broken. It is only during the transition animation.

What makes it probably hard to solve is to decide at what point should a hit or poke check break the animation and what should happen exactly? Do the player loose the puck? Is he falling down? How hard was he hit? Can he get the puck back or does he need to be incapacitated for a second?

And then, you need to write the complex code for all the scenarios. So, it is not as simple as it may seems. Yes, they could remove LT or just make the animation stop all the time or randomly, but would it make it really better... I don’t think so, but like always I might be wrong.
  • It's really weird over here, nobody is using the L2/LT right now; instead everybody is scoring on rebounds goals.... I thought rebounds from 18/19 were kinda fixed this year, but apparently not?
  • LT is the dumbest thing ever that they can't/won't fix.

Enjoy it boys. It's here for a loooong time.
  • All they need to do is reduce poke penalties, increase hitting, remove the one hand tuck, and make the goalies not bite so much. 4 things and we get hockey back.. It shouldnt be so hard
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I used to love playing online - even HUT. But now... I tried a few times and had to turn it off in disgust. EA NHL online does not feel like hockey in it's current form. It's just... horrible. Clunky, unresponsive, unrealistic, full of bugs and exploits. Not fun. A chore. I'm not touching that crap again.

I must say, though, I'm having some fun in franchise and couch 1v1. True broadcast camera, longer periods and fine tuned custom sliders can make the game almost resemble hockey. To bad the AI does its best breaking immersion by being as stupid as it can - especially when it comes to positioning and passing.
    Post edited by bryta47 on
  • Until LT is fixed. This is actually ridiculous. All the 1000-1500 CR guys just spam it all game. You can’t poke it because it’s a penalty and you can’t rub them out. Have to wait and stay on them but more than likely they’re a sniper and will just LT until they get up to the top of the circle and fire it in. Rinse repeat rinse repeat

It’s just not fun anymore and I notice it’s happening more this week with the kiddies home for fall break. This online community is toxic as hell

Before anyone says something stupid like adapt or get better at the game I’m consistently one of the best dmen I’ve see and constantly get game invites.

Not sure if you are PS4 or XBOX but you are either a TOP D guy or your are not.

I laugh at LT usage because it's not difficult to stop at all.

I am not saying nerf the skil or to not nerf the skill I really don't care either way but you have got to be kidding me with your analysis on how these situations play out.

You know whether the player is right handed or left handed as he is skating up the ice. The problem is that some D guys look like pylons in these moments because they are not familiar with how to stop it.

If a player is coming out of LT and sniping one in your face you have made a mistake. Don't get upset and I am not trolling you but it is a fact.

There are two ways to exit an LT backskate...backhand twirl or reset forehand. Regardless of what the winger chooses if your mindset is focusing on which side their forehand is none of this matters.

Alot of D guys go for a bump on a backskater because they know they cannot poke but the second the forward notices any speed change by the defenseman they release LT and easily pylon them because the defenseman has slowed down and is now able to be pyloned due to how close he is to the skater.

If you don't go for a bump and just be patient LT spam is literally useless in this game other then buying a second of you not being able to poke. You should also blame your forwards a bit because no backcheck equals more time for the other teams forwards to do all that nonsense to you.

Before you tell me I am wrong or have no idea what I am talking about I play this game in the most LT spam mode amongst the highest CR dudes in the game. That mode is 3 v 3 where you will see the most toxic and vicious LT spammers on the earth and if you went to the club top 100 page and looked at the number one club you would see that "THE BAD KIDS" on xbox are one of the only clubs with a GAA under 2 goals while playing the most toxic mode filled with LT spam and exploits. This is not some guy saying get good and being rude it is someone telling you that it's not difficult to stop...period. Side note, please don't suggest we scrub hunt and do not play high CR players because we do not remake clubs or run from anyone in the lobby. Proof of this is in the fact that there are clubs that have a similar record to us but are 15 spots below us because of the strength of schedule giving out more club CR.

I literally go into drop-ins on a second gamertag against full pre-made high CR players and shut down LT spam while playing with two level 15's on my team and win games to punish people for trying to beat-up on new players and low level players to get CR. It's not hard to stop. Let it go. Don't sit here and tell me you are consistently one of the best dmen you've ever seen and get invites all the time and then tell me you can't stop people using LT. Makes no sense. What does that even mean? That you've seen??? Is this based on CR or just watching other people play defense. You realize when people spam invites they are just going down the D guy leaderboards and spamming invites...it's not like you are the only one that got a message geez.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Sneakler wrote: »
    Until LT is fixed. This is actually ridiculous. All the 1000-1500 CR guys just spam it all game. You can’t poke it because it’s a penalty and you can’t rub them out. Have to wait and stay on them but more than likely they’re a sniper and will just LT until they get up to the top of the circle and fire it in. Rinse repeat rinse repeat

Not sure if you are PS4 or XBOX but you are either a TOP D guy or your are not.

I laugh at LT usage because it's not difficult to stop at all.

I am not saying nerf the skil or to not nerf the skill I really don't care either way but you have got to be kidding me with your analysis on how these situations play out.

You know whether the player is right handed or left handed as he is skating up the ice. The problem is that some D guys look like pylons in these moments because they are not familiar with how to stop it.

If a player is coming out of LT and sniping one in your face you have made a mistake. Don't get upset and I am not trolling you but it is a fact.

There are two ways to exit an LT backskate...backhand twirl or reset forehand. Regardless of what the winger chooses if your mindset is focusing on which side their forehand is none of this matters.

Alot of D guys go for a bump on a backskater because they know they cannot poke but the second the forward notices any speed change by the defenseman they release LT and easily pylon them because the defenseman has slowed down and is now able to be pyloned due to how close he is to the skater.

If you don't go for a bump and just be patient LT spam is literally useless in this game other then buying a second of you not being able to poke. You should also blame your forwards a bit because no backcheck equals more time for the other teams forwards to do all that nonsense to you.

Before you tell me I am wrong or have no idea what I am talking about I play this game in the most LT spam mode amongst the highest CR dudes in the game. That mode is 3 v 3 where you will see the most toxic and vicious LT spammers on the earth and if you went to the club top 100 page and looked at the number one club you would see that "THE BAD KIDS" on xbox are one of the only clubs with a GAA under 2 goals while playing the most toxic mode filled with LT spam and exploits. This is not some guy saying get good and being rude it is someone telling you that it's not difficult to stop...period. Side note, please don't suggest we scrub hunt and do not play high CR players because we do not remake clubs or run from anyone in the lobby. Proof of this is in the fact that there are clubs that have a similar record to us but are 15 spots below us because of the strength of schedule giving out more club CR.

I literally go into drop-ins on a second gamertag against full pre-made high CR players and shut down LT spam while playing with two level 15's on my team and win games to punish people for trying to beat-up on new players and low level players to get CR. It's not hard to stop. Let it go. Don't sit here and tell me you are consistently one of the best dmen you've ever seen and get invites all the time and then tell me you can't stop people using LT. Makes no sense. What does that even mean? That you've seen??? Is this based on CR or just watching other people play defense. You realize when people spam invites they are just going down the D guy leaderboards and spamming invites...it's not like you are the only one that got a message geez.

Nothing you said has anything to do with hockey. And it made my head hurt.

• Sneakler
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    @bryta47 letting someone know that claiming you are a top defender and claiming LT spam is tough to stop don't go together and then covering all the standard excuses people would use to say I don't know what I am talking about is the only way to silence people on these forums. Alot of people don't seem to get it and choose to blame the game.

When faced with someone telling them they are wrong and then the person gives the stats to prove it they are left with comments like yours.

"my head hurts"

"what does this have to do with hockey"

My post had everything to do with the topic. LT Spam. High CR players. Stopping it being very simple. Proving I am not just stopping bums. Very hockey related...caring enough to admit it is a whole different story.

What are people supposed to say when faced with another top D destroying their argument with actual stats to back it up? Combined with the fact that everything I claimed can be researched and proven. Top overall club, high CR, plays 3's (arguably the most exploitative game mode as far as LT spam goes and says club has one of the lowest GAA in the top 100. When playing other 1000+ CR players I will face 5-15 LT Spam 2 v 1 rushes a game.

My head would hurt too if I had no way to refute what someone just said.

Just to be clear, not defending LT spam in any way and if EA included puck loss to be more frequent for using it I would support it just based on the lack of realism that goes along with it. But this topic was a complaint of it being tough to defend against and it really isn't.
  • Could you post us a period of gameplay for educational purposes?
  • Sneakler
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    flyextacy wrote: »
    Could you post us a period of gameplay for educational purposes?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. Would certainly put together some clips. I would not be surprised if people told me that the people that I stopped in the clips were not good at using LT but regardless I would do it.

I know that I am coming across like a complete jerk in this thread. It also appears like I have not posted very much on these forums but I have been around on here for a long time.

Had I posted that it is easy to stop, and didn't back up my claim with all the dumb stuff I said about top club top player great GAA...the response would have been I haven't played against anyone who actually knows how to properly LT spam. So certain qualifiers need to be presented to actually get a point across on these forums so I am very familiar with trying to cover every possible excuse that might be made to try and make my point somehow not ring true.
  • Sneakler
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2019

If I had to put it into words though and try and make it as simple as possible its this:

In a 1 v 1 breakout and you are backskating -

Never change your speed. Maintain poke distance away (never poke) and the reason for maintaining this distance is that they are skating backwards and have taken away your ability to poke leaving you with what some people think is one option. That option being slow up to close gap and bump them. The thing is the second they see your speed change or your body get any closer to them they will release LT swinging themselves around your player thus beating you. The thing is there is a second option.

You have the benefit of knowing he will in fact come out of the LT and there are two forms of this. A forehand spin-out and a fail LT release (the difference being a left release or a right release). If you go into practice/free skate you can see the difference but it doesn't matter which one they choose. The forehand spin-out is the better variant though which most good players will prefer.

If you maintain that poke-distance from them and just wait for it, they are unable to get around you and if you have paid attention to the handedness of the player approaching this is when you would close out on a glitch-snipe attempt.

Don't skill stick, don't poke, just rely on players dragging the puck through your player to make them lose control and go for mild bump-offs when stepping up in the slot. Do not attempt a traditional hit unless you have set them up for it. After you have proved the first 3-5 times down the ice that you don't hit it's worth it from time to time to mix it up if you think you have picked up on a forwards tendency.
  • I was being sarcastic, but actually curious to see someone shut down an lter majority of the game. It's pretty challanging with how easy the offense player can keep the puck most of the time especially in 3s with all the open ice.
  • Sneakler wrote: »

If I had to put it into words though and try and make it as simple as possible its this:

Never change your speed. Maintain poke distance away (never poke) and the reason for maintaining this distance is that they are skating backwards and have taken away your ability to poke leaving you with what some people think is one option. That option being slow up to close gap and bump them. The thing is the second they see your speed change or your body get any closer to them they will release LT swinging themselves around your player thus beating you. The thing is there is a second option.

You have the benefit of knowing he will in fact come out of the LT and there are two forms of this. A forehand spin-out and a fail LT release (the difference being a left release or a right release). If you go into practice/free skate you can see the difference but it doesn't matter which one they choose. The forehand spin-out is the better variant though which most good players will prefer.

If you maintain that poke-distance from them and just wait for it, they are unable to get around you and if you have paid attention to the handedness of the player approaching this is when you would close out on a glitch-snipe attempt.

Don't skill stick, don't poke, just rely on players dragging the puck through your player to make them lose control and go for mild bump-offs when stepping up in the slot. Do not attempt a traditional hit unless you have set them up for it. After you have proved the first 3-5 times down the ice that you don't hit it's worth it from time to time to mix it up if you think you have picked up on a forwards tendency.

This was pretty helpful but I would really like to see some clips of this in action if it's not too much trouble. The LTing is killing me and I need to find a way to defend against those that are really good at using it.
  • Sneakler wrote: »
    @bryta47 letting someone know that claiming you are a top defender and claiming LT spam is tough to stop don't go together and then covering all the standard excuses people would use to say I don't know what I am talking about is the only way to silence people on these forums. Alot of people don't seem to get it and choose to blame the game.

When faced with someone telling them they are wrong and then the person gives the stats to prove it they are left with comments like yours.

"my head hurts"

"what does this have to do with hockey"

My post had everything to do with the topic. LT Spam. High CR players. Stopping it being very simple. Proving I am not just stopping bums. Very hockey related...caring enough to admit it is a whole different story.

What are people supposed to say when faced with another top D destroying their argument with actual stats to back it up? Combined with the fact that everything I claimed can be researched and proven. Top overall club, high CR, plays 3's (arguably the most exploitative game mode as far as LT spam goes and says club has one of the lowest GAA in the top 100. When playing other 1000+ CR players I will face 5-15 LT Spam 2 v 1 rushes a game.

My head would hurt too if I had no way to refute what someone just said.

Just to be clear, not defending LT spam in any way and if EA included puck loss to be more frequent for using it I would support it just based on the lack of realism that goes along with it. But this topic was a complaint of it being tough to defend against and it really isn't.

EA NHL is too much video game and too little hockey.

Your posts are very much on topic - but they make my head hurt because off the technical approach to the gameplay. I get it, though, that's how you HAVE to approach it to be competetive.

Personally I have become to detest the online aspect in this game series... It's horrible boring.

I guess "smaken är som baken - delad", as we say in Sweden.

• WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Sneakler wrote: »

That is sound advice I will agree. But that is part of the problem. How to play defense in this game. This topic shouldn't even exist because watch any hockey game at any level, and you will see, it simply doesn't exist.

And that is what is killing defense in this game. It is exceedingly boring. Incidental contact is by far the most reliable way to play D. Wait for a player to come out of his pivot to have his stick go through your skates (which mind you will never cause a tripping penalty unlike pokes and DSS) to lose possession. Or have your stick in the way and their forehand and wait for the shot to disrupt it. That's all that D has been reduced to. Just wait and be in the way of the shot or the stick blade.

That is not D, it is not fun, nor is it realistic. You think Shea Weber just sits around and waits for a forward to come out of his pivot?? No. He takes you to the boards or nails you and either way, he makes you pay for keeping the puck on his side and trying to get by him. Try doing that in this "game" and tell me how that works out for you....

I get it, with the current way to play the game your advice is good. You are only basing this off of the options we have. That is the problem, the lack of options on D. This game is destined to die in the next few years if this is what hockey fans have as a product.