EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

EA has completely ruined goalie.... GET IT FIXED

chrisvr6bfbc2
1 posts New member
edited September 2019
Hybrid is so blown out of proportion it’s unreal. For a minimum of 3 seasons I’ve played goalie and never have I EVER been so left down at goalie. Animation is 100% trash. Goalie doesn’t react to anything but low shots. Wrist shots from the hash marks are just going into net when your not even deep into the crease. This goalie stuff is so broken in chel 20 its unreal. Why is it when chel 19 “Y” (Xbox) is cover the puck but in Chel 20 it does NOTHING!

[Socair - edited for profanity and caps lock use]
Post edited by Socair on

Replies

• Hybrid is so blown out of proportion it’s unreal. For a minimum of 3 seasons I’ve played goalie and never have I EVER been so left down at goalie. Animation is 100% trash. Goalie doesn’t react to anything but low shots. Wrist shots from the hash marks are just going into net when your not even deep into the crease. This goalie stuff is so broken in chel 20 its unreal. Why is it when chel 19 “Y” (Xbox) is cover the puck but in Chel 20 it does NOTHING!

[Socair - edited for profanity and caps lock use]

You talking about Human Goalies more or AI? Covering the puck this year you have to hold the button down instead of just tapping it
  • Human goalie is an absolute joke. They should be embarrassed by their lack of work on them.

But hey...#GoaliesGottaGetSniped
  • If Clubs don't play a solid Defensive game goalies are gonna be scored on like crazy
  • Agreed. Animations are crap. I drop to butterfly to slide and save a breakaway in tight, guessing the correct side, and my G freezes and it goes in short side uncontested. Then when I drop to butterfly to save the clapper from the top of the circle I turn into a Mexican jumping beam trying to keep in front of the rebound, all the while the puck is sitting motionless in front of me whilst I hold my Y button for about 2 years and he does nothing. How about going reverse VH and saving the wraparound only to have my G glued to the post as another opponent come up and pokes in the rebound. The 2 on 1 gets in tight so I have to drop to BF again to prevent the 5 hole shot and all of a sudden my goalie shoots over toward the shooter leaving the net yawning for the 1t even though I flick the sticks back the other way before the pass was sent over. Oh, and the nobody's near the net and the puck is sitting patiently in the crease and I cant cover it and my dman puts it in. I have precision turned on as default so how the #&!( does my goalie turn into a rocket when he drops to BF. Slides are nigh uncontrollable even when they're needed, but when you're tracking the puck in tight and you correctly anticipate a shot and drop to BF you get a slide that pulls you out of position and you cant recover fast enough to make the save, and even if you do you cant adjust for the rebound very quickly or it overshoots with the flick of the stick. And you cant *not* drop to BF on account of you'll get 5 holed just about every single time. Cant hug the post without risking getting frozen on it when the 1t is sent into the slot from the corner to a wide open net, but cant *not* hug the post for fear of getting sniped short side. Glove saves are crap. Half the glove side shots I've faced square are almost directly into the pocket of my trapper but the animation pulls my glove upward and it glances of the bottom edge of my trapper and in. Goalies out of position try to kick out shots with the pads, but they're anchored and almost always miss by like an inch or two. Goalies dont reach out to cover far side shots with any measure of consistency. Its frustrating when you're in a good position and a shot gets by because of the animation. I may not be the best G but I know how to set up and cover angles but it seems impossible to be consistent to me. I'll have a game or two with 19 saves on 20 or 21 shots and then this crap starts happening and I'm watching 5 replays in the first period of the next 4 or 5 games of pucks going in with little contest because my G just freezes, or overshoots and cant recover quick enough to slide like 3 inches to smother a rebound. We need a sensitivity setting for BF slides, fixed puck covers, and better tracking overall
  • OK, let me preface this by saying Goalie isn’t my main. I am a D man. But, I started playing G a few years ago so that, as I D, I had a sense of what issues the goalie has to improve my D play.

Since then, I put in maybe 100 games last year (out of 500) and this year I have around 75 games, out of 250. In short, I don’t have “years” of experience with goalie in EA NHL.

But, I am actually liking the goalie a bit more than last year. He’s not nearly as bad sliding around and I find I have a bit more control than I did last year.

A few thoughts;

Cover puck – interestingly they changed it so that you have to HOLD it, not tap it. And what I really like is that when there are those scrambles in front, if I hold the Y button (Xbox) he actively searches for the puck in the butterfly.. I use that a LOT now.

Wristers – dunno on that one. I play centered in the blue ice and haven’t really been sniped a lot unless there’s a screen etc…

Defence – yea, I agree on that. If you have crap D, then it’s going to be a LONG game lol.

Mexican Jumping bean – I agree on that one.. after making a save my goalie seems to move all on his own and I have to manually recover. Not fun.

Cover glitch – that one certainly needs to be fixed. It’s hilarious watching my G try and cover the puck when it’s sitting in the 5-hole. Drives me nuts

Slides – while not perfect by any means, I do find I am in more control with ‘em this year. I tend to use the BF less when moving to face up to a shooter or even slower cross-creases. And yea, the 5-hole does become an issue, I do agree on that.. but I am starting to gauge when, and when not to go into the BF.

Post-hug – actually, I rarely use it this year as I am finding short-side goals aren’t nearly as bad as last year. I just keep a skate on/near the post. He’s a bit sluggish coming out of the PH, so again, I don’t use it much

Anyway… I certainly don’t think goalies are “in a good place” (lol)… but for me their not as bad as last year. I know a lot of folks that are struggling this year with G and I see a lot of bad goalies… so maybe this year is just more to my style? Dunno. But I’m actually still having fun with it.

Hopefully things get better with the next tuner…

A few clips from last weekend…

• I used to main goalie last gen, nearly 1,000 games on NHL15 PS3 alone.

Cannot play goalie this gen at all, I've tried every iteration. It's broken, everything from the movement to the controls.
  • I used to main goalie last gen, nearly 1,000 games on NHL15 PS3 alone.

Cannot play goalie this gen at all, I've tried every iteration. It's broken, everything from the movement to the controls.

Between NHL 14 and 18, I have played probably close to 4500 games as goalie. I would say about 2800 of those were old gen.

But shortly into 18 I decided to run away from that position. I got into it for the sake of the challenge and also was tired of the horrible goalies in dropins so I figured I'd do the job myself.

I still goalie from time to time just for giggles and mostly if a club or friend needs a last minute sub between the pipes. I like the pressure and the responsibility that comes with the position, but let's face it. Ea has killed that notion in me. I may be a sucker for punishment, but I have reached my limit. NHL 16 and 17 were quite terrible for goalies and 18 was better, but just not fun.
  • If Clubs don't play a solid Defensive game goalies are gonna be scored on like crazy

While it's logical to assume that scoring chances are much more potent when defense isn't good... That has nothing to do with the goalie not being capable of moving properly. Bad defense should not be hindering the goalie's ability to make a save attempt, which is what happens when this game uses "momentum" to affect outcomes.

Because my D-man bit too hard at the blue line should NOT mean that I have -50% reaction time. That is how these situations play out in the game, which ultimately equate to players having more control taken out of their hands when it should not be. That is the real complaint, and it's absolutely valid.

The "don't be bad" straw-man argument is not helpful. These problems exist all throughout the game, and the game would be better if they were executed better or removed entirely.
  • dr_shooter
    35 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Agreed, but the problem is this dev team is pro forwards and anti-goalies & they always have been & they always will be. That's why goalie has been, and always will be awful under their watch. I know for a fact they get a bunch of ideas on how to improve it by very experienced goalies, yet all those ideas are ignored because they just don't want goalies to be better.

I've never seen a company cater to one portion of their customer base and totally screw another part of their customer base, as they cater to forwards & screw goalies, it's unreal. And the fact they're allowed to get away with it every year makes it even more unreal. No accountability what so ever.

Unrealistic skill gaps, unrealistic goals, and goals in general are far more important to them, which is very unfortunate.
    Post edited by dr_shooter on
  • VeNOM2099
    3151 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    dr_shooter wrote: »
    Agreed, but the problem is this dev team is pro forwards and anti-goalies & they always have been & they always will be. That's why goalie has been, and always will be awful under their watch. I know for a fact they get a bunch of ideas on how to improve it by very experienced goalies, yet all those ideas are ignored because they just don't want goalies to be better.

I've never seen a company cater to one portion of their customer base and totally screw another part of their customer base, as they cater to forwards & screw goalies, it's unreal. And the fact they're allowed to get away with it every year makes it even more unreal. No accountability what so ever.

Unrealistic skill gaps, unrealistic goals, and goals in general are far more important to them, which is very unfortunate.

IMO, I don't think Ben or his team are "anti-goalie" per se. Just that... Well, I don't think they have anyone on their team that actually really understands goalies or what they're supposed to do. I mean, they probably know as someone who watches the game or has played hockey but never played the position.

The sad thing is that they don't really need to call in a pro or a coach to fix things. Just bring in some amateur goalie from any competitive league and have him/her give input on what goalies should be like and they'll be 1000x better than they are or ever were.

Until they do, goalies will play like in the clip @theGypsy66 posted above. Not that he's "bad" or anything, but that's not how a real goalie is supposed to play. Not even 5%. That's just how users are forced to play the game; pick a big fat goalie, make him 180 Lbs and camp the middle as much and as deep in the net as you can.

It's depressing... :(
  • @VeNOM2099 - it's funny that you mention that.. (camping deep etc)... I played goal up to Jr. B... and I basically had to re-wire my brain to play G in this game. So much of it is completely against what I knew/learned playing IRL. Bein aggressive what-so-ever doesn't work because the crap rebounds and the ones that go right onto the opponent's stick.

Even for the D, they can be in good position but the rebounds tend to go to the O player on the other team. Hell, the goalies give far too many rebounds in general.

And don't even get me started on the "covers being fixed" crap... still having those 20 second freakouts when the puck is sitting between the goalie's legs... meh.
  • theGypsy66 wrote: »
    @VeNOM2099 - it's funny that you mention that.. (camping deep etc)... I played goal up to Jr. B... and I basically had to re-wire my brain to play G in this game. So much of it is completely against what I knew/learned playing IRL. Bein aggressive what-so-ever doesn't work because the crap rebounds and the ones that go right onto the opponent's stick.

Even for the D, they can be in good position but the rebounds tend to go to the O player on the other team. Hell, the goalies give far too many rebounds in general.

And don't even get me started on the "covers being fixed" crap... still having those 20 second freakouts when the puck is sitting between the goalie's legs... meh.

Yeah. I mean, it works to a certain degree, but then you have to deal with the misguided "goalies gotta get sniped mentality" EA seems to have built the tendys with in this game... Perfect position, out challenging the shot... Nope! Gotta get sniped.

*sigh*

It's especially depressing that EA had to go and lie about goalies being better at deflecting shots to safety. At least for the release game, because in the NHL 20 beta there were much, much more pucks being deflected, especially over the glass, but I guess that was too "boring" for the elites who need to play each period in 2 minutes and score 30 goals. :/

So long as only the forwards are having fun, that's what counts, right?
  • Tiawen
    2 posts New member
    Top 20 nhl 19 on ps4 with 1200 plus game played on that game alone here , so naturally when ea announced that they were adding 300 goalie animation i got excited to find out that 299 of them were no save animations. In 2019 a goalie could steal a match this year a goalie will quit playing G. How will all your little F react when no one plays G anymore? See you went from goalies MIGHT sometimes maybe get sniped to you will get sniped. Fix our reactions , our covering , post to post is sluggish , deflection go in even if im in butterfly in front of the shot the goalie does some weird move and it goes in . Come on how is every game finishing 9 to 8 making this game more realist
  • am havin' blast man
  • am havin' blast man

You're "havin' a blast" playing goalie because you play offline where you can marginally alter the way the game plays using the sliders, however the CORE of the gameplay remains the same and the same bugs and glitches are there. You just learned to play around them. If playing to avoid glitches and bugs are your fun, then more power to you.

I hope you keep on having fun. ;)
    Tiawen wrote: »
    Top 20 nhl 19 on ps4 with 1200 plus game played on that game alone here , so naturally when ea announced that they were adding 300 goalie animation i got excited to find out that 299 of them were no save animations. In 2019 a goalie could steal a match this year a goalie will quit playing G. How will all your little F react when no one plays G anymore? See you went from goalies MIGHT sometimes maybe get sniped to you will get sniped. Fix our reactions , our covering , post to post is sluggish , deflection go in even if im in butterfly in front of the shot the goalie does some weird move and it goes in . Come on how is every game finishing 9 to 8 making this game more realist

It will never change. EA's philosophy on goalies has been flawed since the beginning. Goalies have to get sniped sometimes, because that's what many of their players expect. If you have the puck with Crosby or Ovechkin and you take a shot from the slot, it doesn't matter who the goalie is, it doesn't matter what his attributes are or if he's unscreened or even if it's a weak shot. It HAS to go in!

This game could be a THOUSAND times better if they made their playerbase actually work for their goals. Sure it might be frustrating for some at first, but if they stick it out and adapt and learn a thing or two about how hockey works, they'll start to get rewarded for their efforts.

But no... Let's just allow goals because reasons. Goalies are there to get sniped, not stop pucks. LOL!

Just for laughs, I tried playing the game last night. Friday night. 9PM. Prime-time "Chel" hour. I had to look for over 30 minutes for a full 6v6. Five minutes into the first period, we're up 2-0, three of their players quit (including the goalie). Not 10 seconds after the ensuing face off, they get possession in our zone, they take a wild shot from just over the blue line. I stop it, but the rebound goes straight to their AI at the face off circle. Weak shot, beats me high blocker side. My goalie doesn't even stick out his blocker to make a save. Just tucks his arms in and lets' the puck through...

This game is a joke for goalies!
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    am havin' blast man

You're "havin' a blast" playing goalie because you play offline where you can marginally alter the way the game plays using the sliders, however the CORE of the gameplay remains the same and the same bugs and glitches are there. You just learned to play around them. If playing to avoid glitches and bugs are your fun, then more power to you.

I hope you keep on having fun. ;)
    Tiawen wrote: »

It will never change. EA's philosophy on goalies has been flawed since the beginning. Goalies have to get sniped sometimes, because that's what many of their players expect. If you have the puck with Crosby or Ovechkin and you take a shot from the slot, it doesn't matter who the goalie is, it doesn't matter what his attributes are or if he's unscreened or even if it's a weak shot. It HAS to go in!

This game could be a THOUSAND times better if they made their playerbase actually work for their goals. Sure it might be frustrating for some at first, but if they stick it out and adapt and learn a thing or two about how hockey works, they'll start to get rewarded for their efforts.

But no... Let's just allow goals because reasons. Goalies are there to get sniped, not stop pucks. LOL!

Just for laughs, I tried playing the game last night. Friday night. 9PM. Prime-time "Chel" hour. I had to look for over 30 minutes for a full 6v6. Five minutes into the first period, we're up 2-0, three of their players quit (including the goalie). Not 10 seconds after the ensuing face off, they get possession in our zone, they take a wild shot from just over the blue line. I stop it, but the rebound goes straight to their AI at the face off circle. Weak shot, beats me high blocker side. My goalie doesn't even stick out his blocker to make a save. Just tucks his arms in and lets' the puck through...

THIS GAME IS A JOKE
    Fixed that for ya
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    theGypsy66 wrote: »
    @VeNOM2099 - it's funny that you mention that.. (camping deep etc)... I played goal up to Jr. B... and I basically had to re-wire my brain to play G in this game. So much of it is completely against what I knew/learned playing IRL. Bein aggressive what-so-ever doesn't work because the crap rebounds and the ones that go right onto the opponent's stick.

Yeah. I mean, it works to a certain degree, but then you have to deal with the misguided "goalies gotta get sniped mentality" EA seems to have built the tendys with in this game... Perfect position, out challenging the shot... Nope! Gotta get sniped.

*sigh*

It's especially depressing that EA had to go and lie about goalies being better at deflecting shots to safety. At least for the release game, because in the NHL 20 beta there were much, much more pucks being deflected, especially over the glass, but I guess that was too "boring" for the elites who need to play each period in 2 minutes and score 30 goals. :/

So long as only the forwards are having fun, that's what counts, right?

There were a lot of complaints during the beta that there were too many shot deflections going into the netting and breaking up game flow and making games too long.

We figured the fix would be deflect them lower, not rebound them out front again, careful what you ask for I guess. EA is like a sneaky deceptive genie, you have to be very specific with your wishes.