EA Forums - Banner

This should have been you, EA NHL. You really needed it.

TheMajjam
794 posts Member
edited October 2019
uNcaCuE.jpg

The biggest problem with your games is that you give yourself only a year to give us a close carbon copy of previous years. All the while charging this niche fan base $60-$100 because you add modes no one wants, tweak the things no one wants tweaked, and don't fix what the majority want fixed. '21 could have been a fresh start with a long two year development cycle to truly go back to your roots, but I guess you couldn't help but continue to squeeze us dry.

Replies

• There's no competitor to the NHL series so there's no incentive for EA to be "hyper ambitious."

EA is so out of touch with their NHL fanbase anyways. For the past few years their focus has been to reward individual play over teamwork. No need to cycling the puck or enter the zone with speed; just LT into the offensive zone and one hand it into the net for an automatic goal (just like we see everyday in the real NHL /s).
  • Yea no NHL 2K means no competition so the fact that they re release this "carbon copy" of a game that we all pay for every year is just free and easy money for EA.

• TheMajjam wrote: »
    uNcaCuE.jpg

The biggest problem with your games is that you give yourself only a year to give us a close carbon copy of previous years. All the while charging this niche fan base $60-$100 because you add modes no one wants, tweak the things no one wants tweaked, and don't fix what the majority want fixed. '21 could have been a fresh start with a long two year development cycle to truly go back to your roots, but I guess you couldn't help but continue to squeeze us dry.

I do not have all the details, but to be fair, EA has stated a few months back that they already have a team working on the next gen release to not repeat the NHL 15 fiasco. I think it is fair to assume NBA team did not have the extra resources as NHL does and therefore have to take a year off to get it done. Something along the lines of NHL 14 as it wasn't released for PS4 because they wanted that extra year to finish 15 properly. Sadly, we all know by now part of that team got moved over to finish UFC and that is why 15 was so naked.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    uNcaCuE.jpg

The sad part is that I don't think even that will help NBA Live be anything even remotely close to NBA 2K. If you ask me the Live series is about 5 years behind 2K (at least), just in terms of gameplay. I used to swear by NBA Live, but when 2K came into the picture, it was obvious which game was the more representative of the sport it was trying to emulate.

Put a demo of NBA 2K on a monitor and people are fooled into thinking it's an actual, REAL, NBA game on TV. Can't say the same of Live.

NHL isn't as far as Live in terms of immersion or gameplay, but IMO, they need to change their philosophy about the how to bring the sport to the digital screen. They need to come to grips that when people buy a game that's labeled "NHL", people want to play NHL, not EA Hockey.

Yeah, there's a certain portion that thrives on that, especially online, but the majority want to play hockey. They want to see hockey. They want to hear and feel hockey. EA's NHL is not hockey... Not by a long shot.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    uNcaCuE.jpg

The sad part is that I don't think even that will help NBA Live be anything even remotely close to NBA 2K. If you ask me the Live series is about 5 years behind 2K (at least), just in terms of gameplay. I used to swear by NBA Live, but when 2K came into the picture, it was obvious which game was the more representative of the sport it was trying to emulate.

Put a demo of NBA 2K on a monitor and people are fooled into thinking it's an actual, REAL, NBA game on TV. Can't say the same of Live.

NHL isn't as far as Live in terms of immersion or gameplay, but IMO, they need to change their philosophy about the how to bring the sport to the digital screen. They need to come to grips that when people buy a game that's labeled "NHL", people want to play NHL, not EA Hockey.

Yeah, there's a certain portion that thrives on that, especially online, but the majority want to play hockey. They want to see hockey. They want to hear and feel hockey. EA's NHL is not hockey... Not by a long shot.

Problem is, EA thinks "EA Hockey" is hockey.