EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

Tripping: What Are the Rules That Explain When It Happens?

2Next

Replies

• So here's another example of a trip where I'm using DSS and, in this case, really just graze the offensive player's skate and get called for the penalty. I guess maybe it's because the stick moves slightly left to right (which it had to do in order to get the puck). But in any case, you definitely can get called for tripping if you just touch the opponent's leg while controlling DSS:

• It’s broken end of story. You poke check 5 times a game and get 3-4 penalties. In actual hockey poke checking usually isn’t perfect and your feet get hit constantly without you falling down. Also hitting is pathetic. Because of this skilled players can just skate backward and spin with L2 through anyone. Thats not “dangling” it’s exploiting broken physics. Constant spinning doesn’t happen in real hockey especially at the speeds it does in this game. In real hockey if you hold the puck too long you get it taken away via a poke or a hit. Regardless of which way you face. Despite what ea thinks it is possible to poke someone from behind or when they have their back to you without going directly through their skates. The game was fine for years and they changed it to cater to people who refuse to pass and want to go end to end without losing the puck. There is almost no stopping someone skating backwards. Just go watch the plays of the month and you can see the joke this game has become. It looks like figure skating through pylons. Not one highlight involves a pass. That’s not hockey. It’s basketball on ice.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    So here's another example of a trip where I'm using DSS and, in this case, really just graze the offensive player's skate and get called for the penalty. I guess maybe it's because the stick moves slightly left to right (which it had to do in order to get the puck). But in any case, you definitely can get called for tripping if you just touch the opponent's leg while controlling DSS:

In real life, your stick would have probably been stuck in the hole between the blade and the sole of the skate. lol

Anyway, it might be broken or maybe you wiggled slightly from left to right exactly when you touched the skate. I don’t use DSS exactly for that reason, it is so hard to be precise. The higher the Poke Checking attribute of your players is, the higher the sensitivity of the joystick is. You will move the joystick slightly and the stick would move instantly. It might need some tweaking a little bit. With low attributes players, it is controllable just not with super high attributes.

I prefer using RB it seems more precise, at least for me. It probably depends on how good you are at controlling the joystick precisely, which I am not. With the button, I am pretty effective and precise though. Really happy of how it is, I think it is way better than last year, way less penalties.
  • GrundleDemon333
    59 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    It’s broken end of story. You poke check 5 times a game and get 3-4 penalties. In actual hockey poke checking usually isn’t perfect and your feet get hit constantly without you falling down. Also hitting is pathetic. Because of this skilled players can just skate backward and spin with L2 through anyone. Thats not “dangling” it’s exploiting broken physics. Constant spinning doesn’t happen in real hockey especially at the speeds it does in this game. In real hockey if you hold the puck too long you get it taken away via a poke or a hit. Regardless of which way you face. Despite what ea thinks it is possible to poke someone from behind or when they have their back to you without going directly through their skates. The game was fine for years and they changed it to cater to people who refuse to pass and want to go end to end without losing the puck. There is almost no stopping someone skating backwards. Just go watch the plays of the month and you can see the joke this game has become. It looks like figure skating through pylons. Not one highlight involves a pass. That’s not hockey. It’s basketball on ice.

No doubt the penalty logic, combined with the decision to implement even worse collision physics and rewarding puck possession, is beyond idiotic. Devs cater to the clowns now. That much is crystal clear.
  • It’s broken end of story. You poke check 5 times a game and get 3-4 penalties. In actual hockey poke checking usually isn’t perfect and your feet get hit constantly without you falling down. Despite what ea thinks it is possible to poke someone from behind or when they have their back to you without going directly through their skates.

I feel the same way, we don't get to see a lot of live hockey here in the UK but can watch NHL Gamepass or the NHL You Tube channel and see lots of games and their are active sticks on the ice all the time and so few tripping penalties.

It would be nice if future versions of the game didn't cause a trip because your stick went in to out and grazed the boot of the skate, but I'm not holding my breath.

• As I said many times in the NHL19 tripping threads, if a pro player goes down on a "one" handed poke check, something is wrong with that player. It's pretty clear (to us that have played the game in real life) that EA has no idea what causes a tripping call, many times it does not even involve a stick. It's like they based the trip mechanics off of somebody who is running or walking fast, not the same as skating.
  • Here’s my issue.

Tripping itself is ridiculous how often it's called. But, how about when I try to block the passing lane by holding left bumper to put my stick down, the opposition runs into it and it's an automatic trip.

I didn't move my stick at all, it's placed on the ground to block the lane and because he runs into it I get the tripping call. How exactly am I supposed to play defense.
  • Poke check needs a buff at the highest difficulty settings.

We can't do short poke checks to compensate stick lift being a weak way to retrieve the puck because it has a high chance of causing penalties. If we can't have AI that chooses short or long poke checks when we hit the button, then head on head poke check penalties should be reduced even further.

There is no extended duration stick lift or slashing at the puck/blade in this game so defensive abilities that are available should be a little to compensate. That said checking might be a bit too strong and causes almost no penalties even with late hits, etc. Stick lift and poke check have to be used with too much rarity and undue caution due to excessive penalties.

CPU passing is too good. If you pressure them they can circle back to their goalie then do a no look backhand pass to the red line and the like which should have no place in a simulation setting on high difficulty. CPU would need to be buffed in some other ways.

I have a very high win rate on the hardest setting as many others likely do so my complaints are more so on poor simulation rather than overall balance.
  • "my complaints are more so on poor simulation rather than overall balance."

More specifically, my complaint is that defense is considerably too weak for a simulation and that both stick lift and poke check should be buffed both in power and in causing less penalties.

Offense has less frustrating issues. For a simulation there should be secondary support on the boards (and if the defense was better this would be more of an issue as things would be forced to the outside/board play) which is perhaps something EA doesn't want but should happen on at least the highest sim settings. There should be more screening and tipping.
  • It’s funny how this games physics work. You hit puck with your stick that weighs next to nothing. Nothings really happens. Then you hit with same power and you send over 100kg of meat flying. 😂