EA Forums - Banner

No Helmet Glitch MUST be patched out

Replies

  • Follisimo wrote: »
    You do know it's not a glitch anymore right? It's an option to play without a helm. It's a highly requested feature and not going anywhere.

    It is probably the worst feature ever. It isn't hockey.

    Helmets didn't use to be mandatory, so it's really more nostalgic, than it is "not hockey".

    Absolutely nothing wrong with it Imo.

    Ron Duguay baby!! Rock them curls!

    Your old enough to remember Ron Duguay..lol ...do you remember Peter Puck
  • The goalie should also be able to play without a helmet. This is a video game, relax.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Jetset95 wrote: »
    Jeez guys you need to get out more - NHL20 isn't hockey either, it's a video game. So what if the player sprites aren't wearing a lid - if it doesn't affect gameplay then what is the problem?

    Ah... So it's not hockey! I knew it!

    Thanks for the confirmation! I'm sure @NHLDev will agree with you. I certainly do. This game is ZERO percent hockey confirmed! :p

    Seriously though, that's your agrument? it's not "hockey" it's a video game? It's a video game based on hockey. That alone makes it.. Hockey. I know, it's a tough concept to grasp, but them's the breaks.

    That's YOUR argument? It's based on Hockey so there's no leeway you have to have club exactly like the NHL or the IIHF?

    As long as the jerseys and socks match who cares. Guys are going to wear pink skates and use bright neon coloured sticks anyways.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Jetset95 wrote: »
    Jeez guys you need to get out more - NHL20 isn't hockey either, it's a video game. So what if the player sprites aren't wearing a lid - if it doesn't affect gameplay then what is the problem?

    Ah... So it's not hockey! I knew it!

    Thanks for the confirmation! I'm sure @NHLDev will agree with you. I certainly do. This game is ZERO percent hockey confirmed! :p

    Seriously though, that's your agrument? it's not "hockey" it's a video game? It's a video game based on hockey. That alone makes it.. Hockey. I know, it's a tough concept to grasp, but them's the breaks.

    You do realize helicopters, clown gear and every other unnatural gimmick isn't hockey and would never take place in a hockey game? The game has always been advertised as a simulator of the sport. If this is the direction some of you guys really want this game to go, then we will be playing Mutant League Hockey in 2021.
  • IworshipEA wrote: »
    Ok well, all 6s games should require a helmet. Why do we need to see dumb cartoon character faces while playing a pro hockey game?

    Its not a pro hockey game...
  • You got that right. Its arcade threes mostly
  • Hockey is not owned and ruled by NHL standards. You can play hockey on grass, in your basement, in many many ways... You may prefer what NHL offers, doesn’t mean that it is the only way to play.

    I don’t like Threes, but I can see why some people like it.
  • Swee9LoU84
    50 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Lol this thread has me dying . . . You guys can’t be serious
  • Can you only opt for no helmet in CHEL? Can’t find a way to do it in Create Player.
  • Efbomb
    153 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    To each his own, bro.

    I for one wish we could make CAPs without helmets/goalie masks.

    Taking a page from your book, it really kills the realism when I make players from the 60’s and 70’s and have to give them helmets.

    On a side note, I wish we didn’t have to assign a play by play name to a CAP either.
  • Hockey is not owned and ruled by NHL standards. You can play hockey on grass, in your basement, in many many ways... You may prefer what NHL offers, doesn’t mean that it is the only way to play.

    I don’t like Threes, but I can see why some people like it.

    The name of the game is NHL 20 not Hockey 20...

    I paid for an "NHL" game. Not some generic pickup hockey game with obnoxious, unnecessary cut scenes, glare, goofy outfits, etc. Most people are fixated on fancy visuals and disregard gameplay faults. I for one, am not one of them.

  • Is this your first NHL game? Cause.. its been like this for awhile now..
    Hockey is not owned and ruled by NHL standards. You can play hockey on grass, in your basement, in many many ways... You may prefer what NHL offers, doesn’t mean that it is the only way to play.

    I don’t like Threes, but I can see why some people like it.

    The name of the game is NHL 20 not Hockey 20...

    I paid for an "NHL" game. Not some generic pickup hockey game with obnoxious, unnecessary cut scenes, glare, goofy outfits, etc. Most people are fixated on fancy visuals and disregard gameplay faults. I for one, am not one of them.

  • Is this your first NHL game? Cause.. its been like this for awhile now..
    Hockey is not owned and ruled by NHL standards. You can play hockey on grass, in your basement, in many many ways... You may prefer what NHL offers, doesn’t mean that it is the only way to play.

    I don’t like Threes, but I can see why some people like it.

    The name of the game is NHL 20 not Hockey 20...

    I paid for an "NHL" game. Not some generic pickup hockey game with obnoxious, unnecessary cut scenes, glare, goofy outfits, etc. Most people are fixated on fancy visuals and disregard gameplay faults. I for one, am not one of them.

    I should be asking you the same thing. "Awhile now"? The complained about modes and inclusions have only been around since NHL 18. I hardly think 2 years constitutes "awhile".
  • boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Hockey is not owned and ruled by NHL standards. You can play hockey on grass, in your basement, in many many ways... You may prefer what NHL offers, doesn’t mean that it is the only way to play.

    I don’t like Threes, but I can see why some people like it.

    The name of the game is NHL 20 not Hockey 20...

    I paid for an "NHL" game. Not some generic pickup hockey game with obnoxious, unnecessary cut scenes, glare, goofy outfits, etc. Most people are fixated on fancy visuals and disregard gameplay faults. I for one, am not one of them.

    If you buy a game just by looking at the title and guessing that it will be only what the title says, that’s on you. If your old enough, you would know that the game was named that way because the first games (in the 90’s) were based on the NHL only and were only containing players and teams from that league. They won’t change the name of their franchise every time they add a new feature that doesn’t fit that name. Back then, the games were filled with unrealistic stuffs and bugs that made the games feels nothing like real hockey (the technology was not even advanced enough to make it realistic).

    Anyway, they didn’t change the name when they added all the other leagues and new features because every person understands that it is the same company releasing a new version of their game, that’s it. You may not like what they do and you can complain about it, and we can do the opposite.

    This is just an helmet and it was not so long ago that they added that rule in their rules book (NHL), it didn’t used to be mandatory. Now it is because of concussions and other head injuries, but in a video game you don’t have that, so why not having some fun and keeping it free to choose if you want an helmet or not. I don’t see why you are so infuriated by that, I wear one in the game and don’t care about people not wearing one or wearing any clown gear. I am playing that game to have fun and play an hockey game, that’s it.

    [Socair - edited for baiting]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    This is just an helmet and it was not so long ago that they added that rule in their rules book (NHL), it didn’t used to be mandatory. Now it is because of concussions and other head injuries, but in a video game you don’t have that, so why not having some fun and keeping it free to choose if you want an helmet or not. I don’t see why you are so infuriated by that, I wear one in the game and don’t care about people not wearing one or wearing any clown gear. I am playing that game to have fun and play an hockey game, that’s it.

    Not so long ago, eh?
    When did the NHL require helmets?

    1979,

    On June 1, 1979, the NHL enacted a rule requiring the wearing of helmets for anyone entering the league after that date, though a “grandfather” clause allowed diehard veterans to continue to go hatless if they wished.

    The last player to not wear a helmet in an NHL game was Craig MacTavish during the 1996-97 Season with the St. Louis Blues. And that was only because he was part of a group of select players that fell under the "grandfather clause" rule that allowed them to do so. Every player that was drafted from 1980 and onward must wear a helmet.

    I mean, other than the fact that it looks really out of place and kind of ridiculous to see players skating around with no helmets nowadays, it should be an option for Drop-ins, but nothing else.

  • Exactly, playing without a helmet has no place in a 6v6 eashl game. Casual modes, I have no problem with this.
  • It doesn’t really matter...but having mandatory helmets in club and your choice in other modes would be cool.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    You do know it's not a glitch anymore right? It's an option to play without a helm. It's a highly requested feature and not going anywhere.

    It is probably the worst feature ever. It isn't hockey.

    Helmets didn't use to be mandatory, so it's really more nostalgic, than it is "not hockey".

    Absolutely nothing wrong with it Imo.

    Ron Duguay baby!! Rock them curls!

    Your old enough to remember Ron Duguay..lol ...do you remember Peter Puck

    lol, shush on how old I am LOL.

    No, don't remember Peter Puck, but I remember Pete Peters lol.
  • renamed57635
    214 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Hockey is not owned and ruled by NHL standards. You can play hockey on grass, in your basement, in many many ways... You may prefer what NHL offers, doesn’t mean that it is the only way to play.

    I don’t like Threes, but I can see why some people like it.

    The name of the game is NHL 20 not Hockey 20...

    I paid for an "NHL" game. Not some generic pickup hockey game with obnoxious, unnecessary cut scenes, glare, goofy outfits, etc. Most people are fixated on fancy visuals and disregard gameplay faults. I for one, am not one of them.

    If you buy a game just by looking at the title and guessing that it will be only what the title says, that’s on you. If your old enough, you would know that the game was named that way because the first games (in the 90’s) were based on the NHL only and were only containing players and teams from that league. They won’t change the name of their franchise every time they add a new feature that doesn’t fit that name. Back then, the games were filled with unrealistic stuffs and bugs that made the games feels nothing like real hockey (the technology was not even advanced enough to make it realistic).

    Anyway, they didn’t change the name when they added all the other leagues and new features because every person understands that it is the same company releasing a new version of their game, that’s it. You may not like what they do and you can complain about it, and we can do the opposite.

    This is just an helmet and it was not so long ago that they added that rule in their rules book (NHL), it didn’t used to be mandatory. Now it is because of concussions and other head injuries, but in a video game you don’t have that, so why not having some fun and keeping it free to choose if you want an helmet or not. I don’t see why you are so infuriated by that, I wear one in the game and don’t care about people not wearing one or wearing any clown gear. I am playing that game to have fun and play an hockey game, that’s it.

    I have played every single hockey video game ever released since their inception and it's important to understand the fundamental premise for which a sports title that bears the moniker of a professional league carries. We are not speaking about a Blades of Steel or Mutant League Hockey game. The NHL name in itself carries a lot of weight. Everything from Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky 3D, Stanley Cup, NHL Hitz games, ESPN NHL Hockey, 2 on 2 Open Ice, etc. They all were branded with the NHL's registered trademark and though a few had obscure modes, they mostly all represented true hockey, again, though some may not have had the NHLPA license and could only use the city name and players number. You knew what you were getting with the obscure titles. You knew they were arcade style.

    When you purchase a Mutant League Hockey, Ice Hockey, Blades of Steel, Old Time Hockey or Super Blood Hockey type of game, you clearly know what you are getting.

    The point I'm trying to make is that people want to play Drop Ins and such on a real rink and have the option to wear real hockey gear and uniforms. There is absolutely no need to have glare or any other environmental effects making an impact on the outcome of the game. Keep the gimmicks to Ones and NHL 3s aka NHL Hitz. I bet if there was a survey about the outdoor rinks, clown gear and other gimmicks, the majority would vote in their displeasure with them.

    I would rather focus my time and energy on getting changes done that need to be made like the L2/LT exploit that should not still exist or to have the body checking power increased and poke checking adjusted to a more rewarding level because the DSS is flawed. One touch dekes need to go back to how they were on old gen where it took skill to perform them. EASHL builds need to be totally revamped and made more rewarding, especially on defense. There is no way defensemen should be handicapped and capped by size and skating ability as they are right now. Today's NHL is all about skating ability and puck possession. Why is enforcer even an option? Enforcers haven't been prevalent since before the last lockout.

    Gameplay needs to be the #1 focus, especially in the EASHL. Once that has been solidified, then you move onto adding other game modes but never let the gameplay slip. The intent is there but the focus is lacking. It's almost 2020, the visuals and graphics are where they are technologically with every AAA game title and the companies that keep relying on them and the gimmicks are falling behind the competition. Unfortunately there is no competition for a top tier hockey game but you can compare other major sports titles from different companies for reference.

    In every major gaming forum, the top complaints are gameplay issues and lack of content. NHL has almost too much content and not good enough gameplay. There were some good features and mechanics that were removed from previous years games and never reintroduced and some were but as "new" and/or under a new name. Then there were mechanics introduced that nobody wants, asked for and even despised upon.

    The many failed attempts to keep the competition between players even has only further created an imbalance. It has divided the community and given false security to players. There's a lot of good quality EASHL players out there and there are even more that aren't. Yet, they believe they are because of stupid things like CR, broken leaderboards, in game grades, etc.

    The user need to be given total control of their player from the build to the usage of tools. If EA wants to make an even playing field, scrap the build types and just make 1 platform to create from and allot every player the same number of attribute points from day one. Allow every player to make their players height/weight whatever they want within the same reasonable scale. Do away with traits and reintroduce stick blade curve, skate blade radius and stick flex.

    [Socair - edited to remove call out]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Hockey is not owned and ruled by NHL standards. You can play hockey on grass, in your basement, in many many ways... You may prefer what NHL offers, doesn’t mean that it is the only way to play.

    I don’t like Threes, but I can see why some people like it.

    The name of the game is NHL 20 not Hockey 20...

    I paid for an "NHL" game. Not some generic pickup hockey game with obnoxious, unnecessary cut scenes, glare, goofy outfits, etc. Most people are fixated on fancy visuals and disregard gameplay faults. I for one, am not one of them.

    If you buy a game just by looking at the title and guessing that it will be only what the title says, not so bright. If your old enough, you would know that the game was named that way because the first games (in the 90’s) were based on the NHL only and were only containing players and teams from that league. They won’t change the name of their franchise every time they add a new feature that doesn’t fit that name. Back then, the games were filled with unrealistic stuffs and bugs that made the games feels nothing like real hockey (the technology was not even advanced enough to make it realistic).

    Anyway, they didn’t change the name when they added all the other leagues and new features because every person with a little bit of intelligence understands that it is the same company releasing a new version of their game, that’s it. You may not like what they do and you can complain about it, and we can do the opposite.

    This is just an helmet and it was not so long ago that they added that rule in their rules book (NHL), it didn’t used to be mandatory. Now it is because of concussions and other head injuries, but in a video game you don’t have that, so why not having some fun and keeping it free to choose if you want an helmet or not. I don’t see why you are so infuriated by that, I wear one in the game and don’t care about people not wearing one or wearing any clown gear. I am playing that game to have fun and play an hockey game, that’s it.


    I have played every single hockey video game ever released since their inception and it's important to understand the fundamental premise for which a sports title that bears the moniker of a professional league carries. We are not speaking about a Blades of Steel or Mutant League Hockey game. The NHL name in itself carries a lot of weight. Everything from Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky 3D, Stanley Cup, NHL Hitz games, ESPN NHL Hockey, 2 on 2 Open Ice, etc. They all were branded with the NHL's registered trademark and though a few had obscure modes, they mostly all represented true hockey, again, though some may not have had the NHLPA license and could only use the city name and players number. You knew what you were getting with the obscure titles. You knew they were arcade style.

    When you purchase a Mutant League Hockey, Ice Hockey, Blades of Steel, Old Time Hockey or Super Blood Hockey type of game, you clearly know what you are getting.

    The point I'm trying to make is that people want to play Drop Ins and such on a real rink and have the option to wear real hockey gear and uniforms. There is absolutely no need to have glare or any other environmental effects making an impact on the outcome of the game. Keep the gimmicks to Ones and NHL 3s aka NHL Hitz. I bet if there was a survey about the outdoor rinks, clown gear and other gimmicks, the majority would vote in their displeasure with them.

    I would rather focus my time and energy on getting changes done that need to be made like the L2/LT exploit that should not still exist or to have the body checking power increased and poke checking adjusted to a more rewarding level because the DSS is flawed. One touch dekes need to go back to how they were on old gen where it took skill to perform them. EASHL builds need to be totally revamped and made more rewarding, especially on defense. There is no way defensemen should be handicapped and capped by size and skating ability as they are right now. Today's NHL is all about skating ability and puck possession. Why is enforcer even an option? Enforcers haven't been prevalent since before the last lockout.

    Gameplay needs to be the #1 focus, especially in the EASHL. Once that has been solidified, then you move onto adding other game modes but never let the gameplay slip. The intent is there but the focus is lacking. It's almost 2020, the visuals and graphics are where they are technologically with every AAA game title and the companies that keep relying on them and the gimmicks are falling behind the competition. Unfortunately there is no competition for a top tier hockey game but you can compare other major sports titles from different companies for reference.

    In every major gaming forum, the top complaints are gameplay issues and lack of content. NHL has almost too much content and not good enough gameplay. There were some good features and mechanics that were removed from previous years games and never reintroduced and some were but as "new" and/or under a new name. Then there were mechanics introduced that nobody wants, asked for and even despised upon.

    The many failed attempts to keep the competition between players even has only further created an imbalance. It has divided the community and given false security to players. There's a lot of good quality EASHL players out there and there are even more that aren't. Yet, they believe they are because of stupid things like CR, broken leaderboards, in game grades, etc.

    The user need to be given total control of their player from the build to the usage of tools. If EA wants to make an even playing field, scrap the build types and just make 1 platform to create from and allot every player the same number of attribute points from day one. Allow every player to make their players height/weight whatever they want within the same reasonable scale. Do away with traits and reintroduce stick blade curve, skate blade radius and stick flex.

    Nicely said and I agree with all of it. Good stuff.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!