EA Forums - Banner

EA...any chance you could communicate to us what fixes/changes you might address?

2Next

Replies

• I have been an avid player, and I absolutely LOVED this franchise back when I started picking the game back up for the first time in a decade (Yep, I'm old - but let me tell you; NHL 96-98 (I was too young to recall which one, but it was on the SNES)). I LOVED Be a Pro, before I even thought about taking my game online. It was really difficult at first due to the default camera, but that made it all the more skillful - while you still had the option to use a more traditional camera. I loved just grinding games to try to improve my overalls, back when it was important to play to a certain extent to be able to go from your Amateur card rank all the way up to Legend card (Which was so awesome in EASHL, and I loved the way that divisions worked - top 100 was division 1 ranking from 1 to 100, division 2 was 101 - 200, etc... this made it very competitive and relied heavily on teamwork and the lost art form of "Skill", at least it's lost to EA... They won't even give us text chat lobbies, aka - OTP (online team play) lobbies to try out and recruit people.) /end rant

Long story short, I've been playing this game, EVERY YEAR (It used to be my favorite day of the year, waiting at 11:00 PM up to 4:00 AM to get my pre-order [I never had to wait more than 30 minutes, mind you. My local GameStop just had weird release day times before midnight releases ;) ], and now I eventually give in a week after release, for the love of hockey and my tradition... and after about two more weeks of Hut, someone or groups of individuals would always find a way to ruin not only the game, but the spirit of good sportsmenship. One of the worst parts being, in my opinion, because if something (honestly anything) happened to them, and they feel entitled enough to either cheat their way into winning (I don't include short sides and other snipes that can be mostly prevented by good defense/positioning to take away their angle), such as the wrap-around fiasco... and oh god, do NOT get me started on backskate abuse this year. YOU CAN EVEN GO OFFSIDES HALF THE TIME... instead of fixing the AI logic when they weren't slowing down their momentum on the breakout/rush, sometimes causing them to get stuck offsides (usually between the offensive zone and the other team's AI blocking the fastest lane out; causing them to just freeze up or show little effort as I guess there was no "AI intelligence pathing"). I'm also going to point out that this was almost never an issue for me after I went to my HuT team strategies, and simply went through each line manually and simply set them to not dump and chase, by moving the first slider down, and on each line, of course, to 0 / 10 on the Carry / Dump slider option. THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN AN EASY IMPLEMENTATION TO CHANGE THE DEFAULT! Come on, EA...

Bring back OTP lobbies, maybe even with voice chat as an option as well as the old school standard messages via text input. Let us see their personal, and club stats, as well (Perhaps also add an option to hide stats, and/or reset them). We don't have a united community right now inside of the game, aside from a few Club Leagues - but how about integrating a more approachable one hosted by EA. Hell, you could even add an "MLG" rule set, in which some player types, skills & or traits being restricted, as well as height and weight restrictions, I guess? Obviously, we'd also need a fair way to be able to earn XP and be able to add points to stats of our choosing, with higher priority stats costing more... just like it used to, lol.

I apologize for the book here, but I can only pray to EA's RN-Jesus that maybe, just MAYBE, they'll find some honest feedback for what most players want from the game... and those are just scratching the surface, but, keep the game fairly balanced in HuT and other game modes, and you now have some groundwork to start NHL 21 with... I don't want cash, fame, royalties, and EA can use any of my ideas at any point, and I waive the right to any profit, should by some miracle they listen to the community...

Let me know what you guys think as well. What would YOU like to see in the NHL series? We need to come together and make a unified thread for this... lol. Also, let's face it: There is very little hope of salvation for NHL 20 at this point, due to the way EA is [not] addressing clearly evident issues!

Okay... let me go get a glass of water, as I'm dehydrated from that sweaty, disappointing, and realistic state of the game right now.
  • The biggest thing ruining online without a doubt is the lack of a lobby system. It makes finding games absolutely torturous.
  • @E_g_A_y first year in a long time I didnt buy this game and boy do these forums reassure me of my decision every single day. However, skating into the zone backwards, with the puck, is no longer offside. Granted no actual hockey player does this IRL because they would get absolutely destroyed and it's nonsensical but everything about "NHL" 20 is nonsensical so it makes sense...am I right? lol
  • @E_g_A_y first year in a long time I didnt buy this game and boy do these forums reassure me of my decision every single day. However, skating into the zone backwards, with the puck, is no longer offside. Granted no actual hockey player does this IRL because they would get absolutely destroyed and it's nonsensical but everything about "NHL" 20 is nonsensical so it makes sense...am I right? lol

It's honestly better than 19, however if you've been burnt out from seeing the same things in the past then the game probably isn't for you if you enjoy online. It's the first year I haven't bothered with online and I'm a competitive person too. I just don't have fun with it at all. Winning is frustrating lol.
  • I'm pretty sure "we think the game is a good place" is the only communication you're getting.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure "we think the game is a good place" is the only communication you're getting.

What's weird to me is they said they'd fix the pass interceptions and then just kinda never did.
  • I never saw them say they would fix anything, just that they wanted feedback and were looking at those 3 or 4 items. Either they somehow still can't see all the feedback, can't figure out fixes yet or don't think it's a worthwhile endeavor. The silence has been deafening.
  • They haven't fixed one thing in this game and it's been a month since they asked for feed back ,so what are they waiting for , they've gotten a ton ..news flash EA this game is not in a good place it's in a terrible place
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    I never saw them say they would fix anything, just that they wanted feedback and were looking at those 3 or 4 items. Either they somehow still can't see all the feedback, can't figure out fixes yet or don't think it's a worthwhile endeavor. The silence has been deafening.

It feels and looks like the same thing they did last year. They were mildly responsive for about 2 months, then they bailed on us.

I have no problems accusing them of just not caring. They should honestly be embarrassed not only in regards to the product they have put out and charged full price for, but for how they interact with their customers.
  • They wanted feed back and got a ton ,but still not a fix for so many glaring issues with this game and sadly it doesn't look like we're getting one any time soon

I've been here for probably more than 5 years, and every year it's the same story.

Tons of feedback, no significant changes. Still same bugs, same glitch goals, same abuse of broken mechanics, same ways to troll, same explanations, same horrible AI, same price tag.

Over 10yrs here and complaints matter very little to them.
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Let's face it, this game will never be good, if they continue like this. This game needs a total reboot and rework from the scratch (and for real this time). Otherwise it's just putting lipstick on a pig. I don't see next gen being any different. More hats and hoodies maybe?

The game will never change because to give credit where it's due, the devs have tried a different route before. Just look at the first few days of the 19 beta. It was fresh, snappy and fun. It was different. It felt different. In fact, I was totally fine with how sensitive poke checks and the DSS were in relation to tripping because every other defensive tool worked and we had options. They remove those options, yet we are still gimped with glass ankles...

Next thing you know the same try-hards were whining they couldn't score the same garbage goals they've been scoring for over 4 years. EA reverted to the 4+ year garbage to make them happy. This alone is proof enough no significant changes are going to happen anytime soon. AI goalies are probably at an all time worst right now. Great job.

Next year I am really hoping we get custom aviator goggles and leather helmets.

It's what happens when leadership loses passion and stern direction of their product. It's amazing how their only patch caused problems like energy bars disappearing in EASHL when someone gets injured and the zone camera changed. If they are testing their patches before they come out then they aren't doing a very good job or they deem the problems to be minor and not worth the effort.

As long as HUT is up and running for them to cash grab they are content with their product.

Early NHL 19 aka beta was amazing. Only thing I'd change from what that product was is the new skating without losing momentum from pickups and nerfing that LT to where it belongs. We all know goalies getting improved is a huge lie.....unless they mean for people to score on.
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1539 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Doesn't matter what they change, if they don't fix the way matchmaking works when you get paired up with someone that shouldn't be on the server, or bad connection issues.

And no, dedicated servers don't prevent this from happening. The games are synced so both/all players see the same thing. Can't do that unless the better connection is brought down to the lower connection.

Until that's changed/fixed, anything else will be irrelevant unless you're strictly an offline player.
    Post edited by Z0mbieBabyJesus on
  • Doesn't matter what they change, if they don't fix the way matchmaking works when you get paired up with someone that shouldn't be on the server, or bad connection issues.

And no, dedicated servers don't prevent this from happening. The games are synced so both players see the same thing. Can't do that unless the better connection is brought down to the lower connection.

Until that's changed/fixed, anything else will be irrelevant unless you're strictly an offline player.

Seriously, I do not grasp why they just don't give you a choice of which server you want to connect to, especially in a multiplayer setting like EASHL. Would absolutely avoided having situations of 12 people combined on 3 different servers. (potentially)

I remember in NHL 15 on the PS3 there would be 2 Russian players in the lobby every single night I played. What the hell they doing on the East server?? The game should not be doing that.
  • Doesn't matter what they change, if they don't fix the way matchmaking works when you get paired up with someone that shouldn't be on the server, or bad connection issues.

And no, dedicated servers don't prevent this from happening. The games are synced so both players see the same thing. Can't do that unless the better connection is brought down to the lower connection.

Seriously, I do not grasp why they just don't give you a choice of which server you want to connect to, especially in a multiplayer setting like EASHL. Would absolutely avoided having situations of 12 people combined on 3 different servers. (potentially)

I remember in NHL 15 on the PS3 there would be 2 Russian players in the lobby every single night I played. What the hell they doing on the East server?? The game should not be doing that.

There isn't 12 people combined on 3 different servers, they're all in the same server. But the furthest away will have higher pings and poorer performance. Yes the ability to choose servers in an online multiplayer game is another super functional standard thing EA NHL doesn't have.

I remember when starting a VS game, you used to be able to see the actual distance range of how far it was searching. Or was it a range you could choose. It was something along those lines though.

I recall call of duty having a rough period where lag compensation was a thing. Super complained about too. Not sure if they ever fixed it, because I stopped playing that series.

There isn't 12 people combined on 3 different servers, they're all in the same server. But the furthest away will have higher pings and poorer performance. Yes the ability to choose servers in an online multiplayer game is another super functional standard thing EA NHL doesn't have.

Well, what I meant to say was, you can have different people that should be on 3 servers, yet all connected to the same game.

You explained it better than me, but that's basically what I was trying to say.

It just doesn't make sense if 9 players are on the East server, but there is also a player from Calgary, and 2 from Sweden in that same server.

I remember when starting a VS game, you used to be able to see the actual distance range of how far it was searching. Or was it a range you could choose. It was something along those lines though.

I recall call of duty having a rough period where lag compensation was a thing. Super complained about too. Not sure if they ever fixed it, because I stopped playing that series.

Hmm, I don't remember that feature. But then again there are many years I stopped playing hockey games as AI makes for a terrible and predictable opponent. When EASHL arrived that's where I started to gain interest again in video hockey.

Well, what I meant to say was, you can have different people that should be on 3 servers, yet all connected to the same game.

It just doesn't make sense if 9 players are on the East server, but there is also a player from Calgary, and 2 from Sweden in that same server.

Ahhh OK no problem.

Do players from EU end up on NA servers? I thought they were restricted to their own EU servers?
    I guess there's no real way of knowing, unless their ping is over 100. I can see maybe some connecting to the NA East server, some closer EU Countries can ping around 100 there. I'm West coast Canada and ping 80 -100 on East coast servers.

I would like to see a list of servers we can check or uncheck, with servers that ping over 100 restricted.

@EA_Roger Do you know how EA NHL server connections work?
  • Socair
    2815 posts Game Changer
    Doesn't matter what they change, if they don't fix the way matchmaking works when you get paired up with someone that shouldn't be on the server, or bad connection issues.

Ahhh OK no problem.

Do players from EU end up on NA servers? I thought they were restricted to their own EU servers?
    I guess there's no real way of knowing, unless their ping is over 100. I can see maybe some connecting to the NA East server, some closer EU Countries can ping around 100 there. I'm West coast Canada and ping 80 -100 on East coast servers.

I would like to see a list of servers we can check or uncheck, with servers that ping over 100 restricted.

European players can end up on a NA server if they cannot find a relaxed region match within a time frame in the search window (relaxed will attempt to find a match within the local region before broadening the search).
  • Socair wrote: »

Ahhh OK no problem.

European players can end up on a NA server if they cannot find a relaxed region match within a time frame in the search window (relaxed will attempt to find a match within the local region before broadening the search).

Gotcha thanks for the answer
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »
    Obviously there are many glaring issues that we, your player base, have communicated to you since launch.

My friend there will be no fixes or changes because the game isn’t broken. It plays exactly the way they intended which; it wasn’t intended for u to actually play it. That game cost to much time and money to make. They make 5 billion dollars a year on the trash they already make. Why would they strive to make anything good at this point!?