EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Gameplay Discussion

Prev13456720
Flameboy2009
3 posts Member
edited January 2020
I have been playing the nhl series since 98 and can honestly say this game is getting worse and worse as the years go on. They was on the right path with live the life Now be a pro is so boring it’s a pointless Meade now they only seem to focus on CHEL. For years things haven’t changed like line changes at the worse time, defenceman trying to skate out of the slot with the puck instead of just trying to clear it, the penalties are really bad, goalies still are really bad rebound control has hardly improved. If things don’t improve I’m sure I’m not the only one I won’t purchase future games.
Post edited by EA_Aljo on

Replies

• Pointless mode*
  • Couldn’t agree more I’ve been playing since nhl94 (I’m old)
    Without doubt this is the most rage inducing incarnation yet, nhl94 played more realistically than this effort
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    NHL Hockey ('92) on the Sega Genesis, here!

Back in the day I remember thinking what it would be like if someday we could actually play a game that was almost like real NHL hockey! Being able to be your favorite athlete on the ice. Looking for that pass through a defender, or sniping a perfect shot on the goalie through a screen. Or (in my case) being the guy behind the mask, making the crucial glove save to keep your team ahead with seconds to go...

Fast forward 27 years and I'm still hoping for that EXACT same thing... *sigh*
  • kitchener_boy
    354 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    92 was good..great player positioning at the blue line and hammer a shot through traffic and slam a rebound with centre infront of goalie on rebound. Can pick goals all day between circles.
    For me though it's 95. 95 had the best skateing and the umbrella on the PP driving shots with right wing off the low pad and hitting rebounds with left wing was realistic. You run into a games error here and there,but thats ok. I think 96 was ok..just ok..goalie flops around too much and isn't hard to score.,but the glaring issue is where is my defence when I wanna pass a puck back to blue line half the time?.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Back in the day I remember thinking what it would be like if someday we could actually play a game that was almost like real NHL hockey! Being able to be your favorite athlete on the ice. Looking for that pass through a defender, or sniping a perfect shot on the goalie through a screen. Or (in my case) being the guy behind the mask, making the crucial glove save to keep your team ahead with seconds to go...

In fact I'd argue that some of the older games played more like realistic hockey
  • Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

In fact I'd argue that some of the older games played more like realistic hockey

At the time, with the restrictions of the then available technology? I'd argue that yes, you are right.

The thing is that, the gameplay hasn't really evolved much from those days. I mean back then the AI was so simple, you didn't really need to get possession and cycle the puck, because your teammates had very basic routines so it was mostly just back and forth affairs. Not very different from what it is now.

You'd think that with all the current technology at EA's disposal they could actually update the gameplay as well as the bells and whistles, but nope!
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    I know how they can completely remarket this game to a whole new crowd. All it takes is a new loading screen and title.

They need to add all the debugging tools and re-brand the game Game Dev Simulator where the point of the game is to locate all the bugs and try to fix them.

Ka-ching. I smell some money to be made :smiley:
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

At the time, with the restrictions of the then available technology? I'd argue that yes, you are right.

The thing is that, the gameplay hasn't really evolved much from those days. I mean back then the AI was so simple, you didn't really need to get possession and cycle the puck, because your teammates had very basic routines so it was mostly just back and forth affairs. Not very different from what it is now.

You'd think that with all the current technology at EA's disposal they could actually update the gameplay as well as the bells and whistles, but nope!

The thing is, EA is a business and their objective isn't to make sure we enjoy the game. Sure, it has to be enjoyable to a degree but as long as a mode like HUT exists, and they see profits, they have no reason to innovate. They'll stick with the status quo until profits drop, and then and only then will they change course.

It's up to us as the consumer to voice or opinion LOUD ENOUGH to truly be heard, and it seems to me the only thing loud enough for EA to hear is the sound of their stocks and profits dropping. We need to close our wallets and make them open their eyes and minds.
  • > @VeNOM2099 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > they could actually update the gameplay as well as the bells and whistles, but nope!

Update the gameplay? They did that with face masks and pre-game dancing intros. You know, bells and whistles. That's their way of masking (pun intended) the gameplay issues. Gameplay, fun and enjoyment come in 2nd, but cosmetics are what the community demanded.

Anyway, I've been playing this series since NHLPA '93, and simplicity, gameplay, fun and enjoyment have definitely and drastically declined on this current generation of consoles. If they're having issues sorting out what's currently plaguing this series, with all of the time that they had and have to remedy them, the PS5 (available by roughly this time next year) will possibly see the end of this series.
  • kitchener_boy
    354 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    The most glaring issue to me is the GOALIE's. I wish they could make it where only tips,screens,rebounds only went in. Mayby allow 1 crap goal one time outta 20 shots mayby.
    DEFENCE ..Now that needs help with left and right bumper to get the D man we need each time.
  • The most glaring issue to me is the GOALIE's. I wish they could make it where only tips,screens,rebounds only went in. Mayby allow 1 crap goal one time outta 20 shots mayby.
    DEFENCE ..Now that needs help with left and right bumper to get the D man we need each time.

I thought you didn’t buy the game? Do you watch hockey? Lots of goals are scored on snipes, it’s not a crap goal but a gorgeous shot. I will assume you meant to include one timers in your score list.

100% agree on the player selection part, how many years have ppl complained about player selection and not just on d.
  • The most glaring issue to me is the GOALIE's. I wish they could make it where only tips,screens,rebounds only went in. Mayby allow 1 crap goal one time outta 20 shots mayby.

Goalies will never change. Not until their philosophy on what the position is and does changes from this:

x1w331ff2voz.jpg

To this:

mgb8a3ua0edt.jpg

• kitchener_boy
    354 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    HAHA..I love the table hockey goalie pic..I have been told I have the best table hockey goalie hand in all of the top players in the world..not quite sure about that, but I love that pic.
  • Wow Mr Venom ... bringing back some memories mine was Rangers vs Canadians
  • I don't know if it's just me, but playing the game last night at it just hit me. The atmosphere and just the general ambiance is really tame. I don't know, but it just doesn't pull you in to the game. Don't know how to explain it really, just that it feels "empty"
  • I don't know if it's just me, but playing the game last night at it just hit me. The atmosphere and just the general ambiance is really tame. I don't know, but it just doesn't pull you in to the game. Don't know how to explain it really, just that it feels "empty"

It's because it is empty. There's no dynamics to it. I wrote a whole post about this in the wish list haha
  • It happened many years ago but I agree 100% on the ambiance. Back in its first generation the crowds would go nuts for big hits and big saves. It’s a lot more muted now but it’s been like that for at least 10 years. If you ever played NHL 94, The atmosphere inside the arena was like a college football game they were going nuts. It’s a video game why not every game you play should be like game seven of the Stanley Cup finals in terms of what the atmosphere is like inside the arena
  • They should boo the superstars of the other team and react to big hits on them or anyone else really. I don’t on the game anymore and won’t until there’s a drastic change but One of the many things they are missing on is the environment inside the arena. By the way you should have your choice on outdoor stadiums and venues, you should have your choice of international or North American Rick size, The international uniforms need to be updated for gods sake. The crowd should be rising and excitement during a good shift or for a good shift Or long ozone time. It would be so cool to play in outdoor venues and be able to choose from them. Think about all of the famous and classic stadiums that they’ve had Winter classics stadium series and heritage classic games. You should be able to play these games online Period.
  • They should boo the superstars of the other team and react to big hits on them or anyone else really. I don’t on the game anymore and won’t until there’s a drastic change but One of the many things they are missing on is the environment inside the arena. By the way you should have your choice on outdoor stadiums and venues, you should have your choice of international or North American Rick size, The international uniforms need to be updated for gods sake. The crowd should be rising and excitement during a good shift or for a good shift Or long ozone time. It would be so cool to play in outdoor venues and be able to choose from them. Think about all of the famous and classic stadiums that they’ve had Winter classics stadium series and heritage classic games. You should be able to play these games online Period.

They used to have this in the game. Even players like Luongo used to get Luuuuu chants.

They used to have this in the game. Even players like Luongo used to get Luuuuu chants.

Just yet another thing they've seemed to take it and never put back in. Too busy drawing up 15 different variations of a draisaitl card.