EA Forums - Banner

New Gameplay Leadership

Replies

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    I don't get why the game making money is a bad thing to you guys. It's not like the sole focus is on HUT. Between WoC and Franchise Mode, there's been significant work on both of those whereas HUT really doesn't change that much. It's the same gameplay as the rest of the game. There's a huge amount of focus on gameplay which which benefits everyone. Without that HUT money, you'd very likely see less attention given to the game.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    I don't get why the game making money is a bad thing to you guys. It's not like the sole focus is on HUT. Between WoC and Franchise Mode, there's been significant work on both of those whereas HUT really doesn't change that much. It's the same gameplay as the rest of the game. There's a huge amount of focus on gameplay which which benefits everyone. Without that HUT money, you'd very likely see less attention given to the game.

Before hut took off this game used to get significant upgrades yearly, several patches that make significant changes, less damaged goods and the game was trending in a positive direction. Ai used to be a huge focus on a yearly update and then once hut took over ai has consistently gotten worse and worse.
    I don't get why the game making money is a bad thing to you guys.
    Who said that the game making money is a bad thing? All I have seen is statements pointing to how it's a bad thing to prey on children and people with addictive personalities. I'm certain we can agree on that?
    Sinbin wrote: »
    It's not like the sole focus is on HUT.
    Did you read the investorcall transcript i linked to?

Here's a little outtake for you, showing how they measure everything on how many players it will ultimately bring in to Ultimate Team:
    "First, we're very happy with VOLTA, again -- and what we've talked about over the years is our objective around our FIFA franchise more broadly is really to think about FIFA as a platform, and how can we build features that attract new audiences to the game. We did that with the journey with story mode for a number of years. We do that with the World Cup content last year and we're doing that with VOLTA this year, with the express purpose of bringing new fan into the game and reigniting the passions of lapse fans who may be not played FIFA for some time.
    As a result of that [Indecipherable] as we talked about in the prepared remarks, VOLTA is the second most played mode in the game. And so -- and games across the board, engagement across the board is up in FIFA. So we're very, very happy about that.
    In terms of what impact that has on Ultimate Team? What we do continually discover is that Ultimate Team has a mode with these core motivations of collection and competition and social interaction at the very core often where players ultimately find they're spending most of their time. And so, even as we bought players into the game around the journey, even as we bought players into the game around the World Cup content last year, and even as we bring plays into the game around VOLTA this year, we do see a positive impact that has on Ultimate Team over time as players come together with their friends and engage in what is one of the most fun part of the FIFA experience. And so our expectation is that it will continue to drive that growth that Ultimate Team -- all the overwork done in Ultimate Team in of itself drove growth. But the combination of that in bringing new fans through VOLTA effectively drove our Ultimate Team performance.
    And you should expect that we'll continue to think about our FIFA franchise and our Madden franchise in this way around building new modes to bring people in and then helping them find their friends in the mode, they love them."

Between WoC and Franchise Mode, there's been significant work on both of those whereas HUT really doesn't change that much.
    World of Chel:
    • Outdoor arenas, clown gear and dreadful shadows on the ice.
    • Hockey bags
    • Threes
    • Arcade Threes
    • Mascots
    • Ones
    • Removal of lobbies

Franchise Mode:
    • Expansion Team

HUT:
    • Competitive Seasons
    • HUT Champions
    • HUT Challenges
    • Squad Battles
    • Daily challenges
    • Monthly rewards
    • Seasonal Tournaments
    • Moved to servers (While Vs is being neglected)
    • New Action House
    • New search filters
    • Loan players and legends

I think you might have fallen for their marketing.
    It's the same gameplay as the rest of the game. There's a huge amount of focus on gameplay which which benefits everyone. Without that HUT money, you'd very likely see less attention given to the game.
    If you really want to take a non-biased look at this. Try finding the positive feedback given after the alleged "huge amount of focus on gameplay". Then consider if you might have been fooled.
  • Kmahrle83
    367 posts Member
    edited November 2019

Plain and simple, since hit arrived, the game has changed for the worse. It's gone the arcadey route with little bells and whistles that light up and point you toward the hut store. I had a group of guys that played together on EASHL for hours....every night. Since this gen though every year more people skip out on buying and we even convinced a couple to buy last year's game and they were pissed at us for it.

My friends list has gone from nearly everyone playing nhl all the time to maybe like 1 out of 73 people playing nhl. This trend started when hut came. It's not that the game making money is bad... It's that they continue to only dump money into, and focus on further monetizing the game instead of spending and focusing on a game that is actually fun to play. It's just plain frustrating, especially when they directly ask for our feedback and what we want..... Then they ignore it... Every year.

It's quite simple really. The tuning is a real joke and even if the gameplay is far from "real" hockey and even if the AI probably couldn't get any worse, even if EASHL can have dressing room errors for a complete year, etc etc, it all doesn't matter if HUT is making the game money.

You really think the game would be exactly as it is if HUT didn't exist???

It's quite simple really. The tuning is a real joke and even if the gameplay is far from "real" hockey and even if the AI probably couldn't get any worse, even if EASHL can have dressing room errors for a complete year, etc etc, it all doesn't matter if HUT is making the game money.

It could be worse without hut, it could be better. Who knows, none of us could possibly answer that question.

Imo the game would have less of a player base without hut and the game would generate less income meaning less man power to work on said game.

Every sports game has a microtransaction mode. Nba2k which mechanically, may be more sound, is probably the worst microtransaction clown fest combined with the worst servers imaginable for online park play.

Here's the steam reviews for nba2k20: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1089350/NBA_2K20/
  • flyextacy wrote: »

It could be worse without hut, it could be better. Who knows, none of us could possibly answer that question.

Imo the game would have less of a player base without hut and the game would generate less income meaning less man power to work on said game.

Every sports game has a microtransaction mode. Nba2k which mechanically, may be more sound, is probably the worst microtransaction clown fest combined with the worst servers imaginable for online park play.

Here's the steam reviews for nba2k20: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1089350/NBA_2K20/

The funny thing is though, is with all of these games that rake in money off of micro transactions always end up in the same spot... Neglecting core gameplay. Agent 00 is the most trusted guy in the NBA2k community and he's always posting about how small tuners would make the perfect game but these teams always pour their resources into things that don't affect gameplay. Nhl is the same.

Since nhl 15 we've had what improvements? Skating animations, goaltending animations, really awful hitting animations this year, better shot mechanics, and better puck pickups? The funny thing is now skating is abused more than ever, goaltenders are beat on the easiest of moves as usual (really all you have to do is hold the stick out and press r1 and l1 to pull off an insane deke?), hitting is constantly still complained about, etc. I'll give a nod to shooting mechanics as they're somewhat close to more realistic now, puck pickups are less annoying and at least the skating is somewhat back to how it used to be when the game is good.

However the point remains is that in 6 years, they've had the opportunity to better the ai (it has gotten significantly worse), better the puck physics (arguably worse again), better the hitting (we still don't have hip checks that actually work in the game), make goaltenders think realistically, don't have proper stick tie-ups, don't have proper net battles, don't have proper screen mechanics, realistic penalties, realistic hockey ambiance/presentation, etc.

If you look at nhl 16 and then compare to 20 it's tough to tell the difference. It takes a while to figure out which game you're looking at. 15 isn't included because they had a different lighting/shadowing system (in which in my opinion looked better haha).

And the game has gotten more buggy, more neglected, less care over the years and less communication from the devs in the meantime.

There's sooooooo many good ideas spread around and it seems like we have to wait for a mode to be dead for them to really improve it. Unless it's hut.

Franchise is way better this year and personally saved the game for me because I don't touch online (because it's been horrendous for years now and I used to love online). Finding a game is a complete chore. Still no troll measures (like how hard is that to focus on??!!!!!!).

It seems super minimalist how much work they put in every year in comparison to how much they used to when the game was improving. It's like looking at two different companies. We all used to love EA and now we all collectively hate it. And that's because the money doesn't go to where it should and the ideas come from people that shouldn't be listened to.

Please. If you remove micro transactions, the only way to make money is to sell the actual product.

Average user rating score for this game is less than 3. Yea, horrible score. Doesn't matter, HUT makes more money than the actual game sales.

No micro transactions + a shoddy product = no product. Before HUT was introduced this game would innovate and take strides to improve every year. Now it's about fake cards and clown clothing. The last amazing and game changing thing added to this game was the Skill Stick and that was what, 14 years ago???

Product is stale. The "innovations" are stale. The "new" features are old ones re-introduced under a new name.

Last night was playing EASHL and guess what? Got a dressing room error, but check it out. The name dgot changed to " Configuration error"

Yea that's right, they still haven't fixed it but instead changed its name to make it look like a new problem. Well it isn't new, and it's still a problem. Go HUT!!!
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    SpillGal wrote: »
    Who said that the game making money is a bad thing? All I have seen is statements pointing to how it's a bad thing to prey on children and people with addictive personalities. I'm certain we can agree on that?

Here's a little outtake for you, showing how they measure everything on how many players it will ultimately bring in to Ultimate Team:
    "First, we're very happy with VOLTA, again -- and what we've talked about over the years is our objective around our FIFA franchise more broadly is really to think about FIFA as a platform, and how can we build features that attract new audiences to the game. We did that with the journey with story mode for a number of years. We do that with the World Cup content last year and we're doing that with VOLTA this year, with the express purpose of bringing new fan into the game and reigniting the passions of lapse fans who may be not played FIFA for some time.
    As a result of that [Indecipherable] as we talked about in the prepared remarks, VOLTA is the second most played mode in the game. And so -- and games across the board, engagement across the board is up in FIFA. So we're very, very happy about that.
    In terms of what impact that has on Ultimate Team? What we do continually discover is that Ultimate Team has a mode with these core motivations of collection and competition and social interaction at the very core often where players ultimately find they're spending most of their time. And so, even as we bought players into the game around the journey, even as we bought players into the game around the World Cup content last year, and even as we bring plays into the game around VOLTA this year, we do see a positive impact that has on Ultimate Team over time as players come together with their friends and engage in what is one of the most fun part of the FIFA experience. And so our expectation is that it will continue to drive that growth that Ultimate Team -- all the overwork done in Ultimate Team in of itself drove growth. But the combination of that in bringing new fans through VOLTA effectively drove our Ultimate Team performance.
    And you should expect that we'll continue to think about our FIFA franchise and our Madden franchise in this way around building new modes to bring people in and then helping them find their friends in the mode, they love them."

Between WoC and Franchise Mode, there's been significant work on both of those whereas HUT really doesn't change that much.
    World of Chel:
    • Hockey bags
    • Threes
    • Arcade Threes
    • Mascots
    • Ones
    • Removal of lobbies

Franchise Mode:
    • Expansion Team

HUT:
    • Competitive Seasons
    • HUT Champions
    • HUT Challenges
    • Squad Battles
    • Daily challenges
    • Monthly rewards
    • Seasonal Tournaments
    • New Action House
    • New search filters

It's the same gameplay as the rest of the game. There's a huge amount of focus on gameplay which which benefits everyone. Without that HUT money, you'd very likely see less attention given to the game.
    If you really want to take a non-biased look at this. Try finding the positive feedback given after the alleged "huge amount of focus on gameplay". Then consider if you might have been fooled.

How are they preying on children? There's nothing that says, hey kids, come give us your money. I would be willing to bet the majority of people spending money on this game are actual adults. There are potential addictions everywhere we go. Sugar, alcohol, smoking, food, relationships, etc. For the minority of people facing these issues, they should get help with their addiction. That doesn't mean the overwhelming amount of people that know how to safely manage their money should be affected.

Yes. I'm well aware of EA's focus on Ultimate Team. I don't blame them. It's an incredibly popular mode. I'm sure if you kept making more money year after year, you'd keep doing what you're doing as well. They have a huge company with thousands of employees. Not to mention the outrageous cost of making games these days. Making money is crucial to funding these games that are our entertainment.

If all the focus was on HUT, the game would be called NHL HUT 20. Except for BAP and OVP, other modes aren't exactly ignored. The stuff you mention as being added to HUT isn't exactly revolutionary or groundbreaking. They are making new features using a ton of existing assets and mechanics. It's not like they overhauled HUT and left the rest of the game unchanged. You choose to focus on HUT because for whatever reason, people think it's bad for the game. You're using your own bias against a mode you don't have interest in to make claims that it's all EA cares about.

Again, the majority of changes have come in gameplay. Whether or not you choose to see that is up to you, but it's obvious gameplay is very different than where it was a couple years ago. Speaking of which, you're totally ignoring the probably 95% of people that don't come to the forums. The hardcore crowd that is here makes up a fraction of the community. You're basing your claims that there's no positivity about gameplay on a group that is highly toxic and will find any reason to complain because they hate EA. If you guys really think you can make a better game, find a way to do it.
  • flyextacy
    376 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    flyextacy wrote: »

Please. If you remove micro transactions, the only way to make money is to sell the actual product.

Average user rating score for this game is less than 3. Yea, horrible score. Doesn't matter, HUT makes more money than the actual game sales.

No micro transactions + a shoddy product = no product. Before HUT was introduced this game would innovate and take strides to improve every year. Now it's about fake cards and clown clothing. The last amazing and game changing thing added to this game was the Skill Stick and that was what, 14 years ago???

Product is stale. The "innovations" are stale. The "new" features are old ones re-introduced under a new name.

Last night was playing EASHL and guess what? Got a dressing room error, but check it out. The name dgot changed to " Configuration error"

Yea that's right, they still haven't fixed it but instead changed its name to make it look like a new problem. Well it isn't new, and it's still a problem. Go HUT!!!

Still doesnt mean the product put forth would be in a better state. But we got it, you hate hut. Doesnt mean your opinion is correct.

The funny thing is though, is with all of these games that rake in money off of micro transactions always end up in the same spot... Neglecting core gameplay. Agent 00 is the most trusted guy in the NBA2k community and he's always posting about how small tuners would make the perfect game but these teams always pour their resources into things that don't affect gameplay. Nhl is the same.

Since nhl 15 we've had what improvements? Skating animations, goaltending animations, really awful hitting animations this year, better shot mechanics, and better puck pickups? The funny thing is now skating is abused more than ever, goaltenders are beat on the easiest of moves as usual (really all you have to do is hold the stick out and press r1 and l1 to pull off an insane deke?), hitting is constantly still complained about, etc. I'll give a nod to shooting mechanics as they're somewhat close to more realistic now, puck pickups are less annoying and at least the skating is somewhat back to how it used to be when the game is good.

However the point remains is that in 6 years, they've had the opportunity to better the ai (it has gotten significantly worse), better the puck physics (arguably worse again), better the hitting (we still don't have hip checks that actually work in the game), make goaltenders think realistically, don't have proper stick tie-ups, don't have proper net battles, don't have proper screen mechanics, realistic penalties, realistic hockey ambiance/presentation, etc.

If you look at nhl 16 and then compare to 20 it's tough to tell the difference. It takes a while to figure out which game you're looking at. 15 isn't included because they had a different lighting/shadowing system (in which in my opinion looked better haha).

And the game has gotten more buggy, more neglected, less care over the years and less communication from the devs in the meantime.

There's sooooooo many good ideas spread around and it seems like we have to wait for a mode to be dead for them to really improve it. Unless it's hut.

Franchise is way better this year and personally saved the game for me because I don't touch online (because it's been horrendous for years now and I used to love online). Finding a game is a complete chore. Still no troll measures (like how hard is that to focus on??!!!!!!).

It seems super minimalist how much work they put in every year in comparison to how much they used to when the game was improving. It's like looking at two different companies. We all used to love EA and now we all collectively hate it. And that's because the money doesn't go to where it should and the ideas come from people that shouldn't be listened to.

16 doesnt play like 20. I own digital downloads of 14-20 and 20 plays better then all previous interations.

Nostalgia is a tricky thing but if you actually boot and up play the old versions they dont hold up well.

And a lot of your points could be applied to most major yearly released games, specifically sports games.

Still doesnt mean the product put forth would be in a better state. But we got it, you hate hut. Doesnt mean your opinion is correct.

That is irrelevant.

Truth is, innovation went further down the tubes the bigger HUT got.

Yeah, NBA 2K20 has its fair share of issues. Gameplay wise, I wish shooting "greens" wasn't so money. I mean you can have a 70 OVR scrub "stretch" player, but as long as you have your shot timing down you'll be hitting jays and treys all game without much problems. There are also some animations that are overpowered and abusable (just like EA's NHL). But for the most part the core of the game, the basketball portions, are really solid.

Game speed is spot on (maybe a little too slow for online). The flow of the game on the court is really nice, with a natural progression that sees one team go on a streak, then the other and back and forth like that which really captures the true feel of an actual NBA game. Game stats can sometimes get a little inflated, but for the most part, whether you play short 5 min quarters or full 12 minute quarters, the percentages line up with real life stats.

The biggest issue for NBA 2K20 right now though is the same issue they've had for many years now: poor online gameplay. 2K servers are atrocious compared to EA's NHL servers! Where the biggest issue with NHL online are when you play someone from a far away region, in NBA 2K everyone you play online feels like they're living on the other side of the planet. It's so slow and sluggish, it's barely playable. No wonder people abuse the animation system to get the most out of their online play... Like in most online matches, whoever starts with the ball is the one that wins, unless they go into a funk and miss a few buckets.

As for the microtransactions, they're not as bad as most make it out to be. Yeah, there are a few "casino" ideas they threw in this year, but it's not thrown in your face to make you feel compelled to spend your money on those. In fact most of the casino games are awarded through regular play without you needing to purchase anything. Log in for 7 days and you get to "Spin the Wheel" for a chance at some cool packs, or MT Coins (the equivalent of EA Points) or VC (Virtual Coins). Complete a set of challenges and you can play Pachinko for some prizes like a special player card or MT or VC. Etc. Even in the MyCareer mode, after every game you can go to the Neighborhood HUB and go to the Daily Spin store where you can spin a wheel to earn things like free vouchers in the in game stores to get free gear for your player like jerseys, shorts, shoes, etc.

But there's never a time when I felt I needed to buy anything in game to make my time playing it better. If anything I think 2K throws too much coins at you for you to WANT to buy them outright. Like last night I made 10K VC just playing my career. And then one of the daily bonuses in the Neighborhood HUB was "Play 5 games and score at least 10 points each game - Get 5000 VC". That's free money for practically nothing! And you don't need to go purchase the best players and play MyTeam (the equivalent of HUT) to earn that. Just play the offline portion of the game.

16 doesnt play like 20. I own digital downloads of 14-20 and 20 plays better then all previous interations.

Nostalgia is a tricky thing but if you actually boot and up play the old versions they dont hold up well.

And a lot of your points could be applied to most major yearly released games, specifically sports games.

Just the other day somebody posted on reddit from NHL 16 gameplay and it took us forever to figure out that it was nhl 16. Small sample sizes can look absolutely identical is all I'm saying. Definitely plays differently, but from a visual standpoint.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Yeah, NBA 2K20 has its fair share of issues. Gameplay wise, I wish shooting "greens" wasn't so money. I mean you can have a 70 OVR scrub "stretch" player, but as long as you have your shot timing down you'll be hitting jays and treys all game without much problems. There are also some animations that are overpowered and abusable (just like EA's NHL). But for the most part the core of the game, the basketball portions, are really solid.

Game speed is spot on (maybe a little too slow for online). The flow of the game on the court is really nice, with a natural progression that sees one team go on a streak, then the other and back and forth like that which really captures the true feel of an actual NBA game. Game stats can sometimes get a little inflated, but for the most part, whether you play short 5 min quarters or full 12 minute quarters, the percentages line up with real life stats.

The biggest issue for NBA 2K20 right now though is the same issue they've had for many years now: poor online gameplay. 2K servers are atrocious compared to EA's NHL servers! Where the biggest issue with NHL online are when you play someone from a far away region, in NBA 2K everyone you play online feels like they're living on the other side of the planet. It's so slow and sluggish, it's barely playable. No wonder people abuse the animation system to get the most out of their online play... Like in most online matches, whoever starts with the ball is the one that wins, unless they go into a funk and miss a few buckets.

As for the microtransactions, they're not as bad as most make it out to be. Yeah, there are a few "casino" ideas they threw in this year, but it's not thrown in your face to make you feel compelled to spend your money on those. In fact most of the casino games are awarded through regular play without you needing to purchase anything. Log in for 7 days and you get to "Spin the Wheel" for a chance at some cool packs, or MT Coins (the equivalent of EA Points) or VC (Virtual Coins). Complete a set of challenges and you can play Pachinko for some prizes like a special player card or MT or VC. Etc. Even in the MyCareer mode, after every game you can go to the Neighborhood HUB and go to the Daily Spin store where you can spin a wheel to earn things like free vouchers in the in game stores to get free gear for your player like jerseys, shorts, shoes, etc.

But there's never a time when I felt I needed to buy anything in game to make my time playing it better. If anything I think 2K throws too much coins at you for you to WANT to buy them outright. Like last night I made 10K VC just playing my career. And then one of the daily bonuses in the Neighborhood HUB was "Play 5 games and score at least 10 points each game - Get 5000 VC". That's free money for practically nothing! And you don't need to go purchase the best players and play MyTeam (the equivalent of HUT) to earn that. Just play the offline portion of the game.

The issue with the vc is though, is that if you want to be competitive you need to dump cash quick to get the vc to upgrade your guy off the get go. Otherwise it'll take you over probably 200 hours to catch up. Most bars (for say 3 pt shooting) take around 40k vc to level up fully before the next overall upgrade pushes you a couple more points towards your cap. That's a lot of man hours. Then you have like what, 12 more other stats you have to do that with?

I enjoy that grind but I don't think you should be able to pay for it. It's what keeps me from going online with the game.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

The issue with the vc is though, is that if you want to be competitive you need to dump cash quick to get the vc to upgrade your guy off the get go. Otherwise it'll take you over probably 200 hours to catch up. Most bars (for say 3 pt shooting) take around 40k vc to level up fully before the next overall upgrade pushes you a couple more points towards your cap. That's a lot of man hours. Then you have like what, 12 more other stats you have to do that with?

I enjoy that grind but I don't think you should be able to pay for it. It's what keeps me from going online with the game.

I agree with most of that. However, I don't think you really need vc. I got the Legend Edition of the game that came with 150K VC, and I only put like 50K VC into MyPlayer and that only got me to like around 72 OVR. The way they made leveling up isn't just by putting points into your character's attributes, you have to play to rank up and get more upgrade points. At first you have like 100 upgrade points you can distribute to your attributes. But in total there are about 250+ attribute points that you need to unlock to get your player fully spec'd.

In reality, I probably could've avoided putting that 50K into MyPlayer and just played the game, and I probably would've reached the same level by the end of the season instead of 60 games in.

Those that play online competitively though, they're the ones that don't want to spend too much time in the career mode. But even they would need to play to unlock all the attribute points they need to max out their player. Even if you were to put all your VC into your player on day one, you'd only be able to get to maybe 80 OVR before you ran out of attribute point slots.

I wish NHL had something even close to this. Instead we get cookie cutter builds nobody wants.
    SpillGal wrote: »

World of Chel:
    • Hockey bags
    • Threes
    • Arcade Threes
    • Mascots
    • Ones
    • Removal of lobbies

Franchise Mode:
    • Expansion Team

HUT:
    • Competitive Seasons
    • HUT Champions
    • HUT Challenges
    • Squad Battles
    • Daily challenges
    • Monthly rewards
    • Seasonal Tournaments
    • New Action House
    • New search filters

How are they preying on children? There's nothing that says, hey kids, come give us your money. I would be willing to bet the majority of people spending money on this game are actual adults. There are potential addictions everywhere we go. Sugar, alcohol, smoking, food, relationships, etc. For the minority of people facing these issues, they should get help with their addiction. That doesn't mean the overwhelming amount of people that know how to safely manage their money should be affected.

Yes. I'm well aware of EA's focus on Ultimate Team. I don't blame them. It's an incredibly popular mode. I'm sure if you kept making more money year after year, you'd keep doing what you're doing as well. They have a huge company with thousands of employees. Not to mention the outrageous cost of making games these days. Making money is crucial to funding these games that are our entertainment.

If all the focus was on HUT, the game would be called NHL HUT 20. Except for BAP and OVP, other modes aren't exactly ignored. The stuff you mention as being added to HUT isn't exactly revolutionary or groundbreaking. They are making new features using a ton of existing assets and mechanics. It's not like they overhauled HUT and left the rest of the game unchanged. You choose to focus on HUT because for whatever reason, people think it's bad for the game. You're using your own bias against a mode you don't have interest in to make claims that it's all EA cares about.

Again, the majority of changes have come in gameplay. Whether or not you choose to see that is up to you, but it's obvious gameplay is very different than where it was a couple years ago. Speaking of which, you're totally ignoring the probably 95% of people that don't come to the forums. The hardcore crowd that is here makes up a fraction of the community. You're basing your claims that there's no positivity about gameplay on a group that is highly toxic and will find any reason to complain because they hate EA. If you guys really think you can make a better game, find a way to do it.

I don't hate EA per say...they're around to make money but spouting lies and hiding the same game breaking bugs year after year and pretending they fixed them leaves a sour taste in anyones mouth. I've been on here for prob 10 years and don't post much any more. Why? Because the silence is deafening. And yes there are bugs still in the game from TEN YEARS AGO. Inexcusable. If they focused so much on gameplay, then why is it so bad and play NOTHING like real hockey?

They ask for feedback, then quietly ignore it until next year's game comes out, then they act as if they care again for 2 months, rinse,repeat. That's why people have turned on EA
    That’s exactly how it would sound if they were letting kids gamble in casinos. «There’s no one saying hey kids, come give us your money. It’s their choice, they think it’s fun! Besides, the majority of our customers are adults.» You see how bad that sounds?
    Also, if the majority spending money on Ultimate Team were adults, there would be no problem admitting this is very much like gambling and give it an age limit reflecting that.
    Funny thing about your list of potential addictions, are that they are all regulated one way or the other.
    Oh, I definitely understand why they focus on Ultimate Team. But I don’t think you are right when you say this is needed to fund the game. There’s a vareity of articles showing how they are raking it in out there.
    I made you a list of the changes that have been made, how is that being biased? I thought your description of which modes are getting most attention was wildly inaccurate, and I still think my list shows how inaccurate that claim was.
    You are right though, I am biased against HUT, in it’s current form. I’m confident HUT could’ve been a fantastic mode, enriching the game and amplifing player engagement, if there were no money involved.
    As of now, gameplay is being compromised to keep players feeling they need to buy just a few more packs. Of course it is. As you stated yourself, EA is a company centred around making money, and this is making them tons of it.
    Again, the majority of changes have come in gameplay. Whether or not you choose to see that is up to you, but it's obvious gameplay is very different than where it was a couple years ago.
    I agree, they have made some changes to the gameplay. My problem with those are they have not made the game any better. The bubble from NHL17 is still there. Playerchanges have actually gotten worse. AI either locking down the crease completly or leaving it wide open, is still present. Even when they fix something, like interceptions, they overdo it. So now players are intercepting pucks they have no chance of seeing.
    The sum of it all, is that the game feels exactly the same as it did four years ago. I think their desire to push players into buying packs is to blame for that lack of progress.
    Speaking of which, you're totally ignoring the probably 95% of people that don't come to the forums. The hardcore crowd that is here makes up a fraction of the community. You're basing your claims that there's no positivity about gameplay on a group that is highly toxic and will find any reason to complain because they hate EA. If you guys really think you can make a better game, find a way to do it.
    Now, you’re the one being biased. Where you see people as highly toxic who are finding any reason to complain because they hate EA (How do you know this?). I see people that are passionate about their favorite sport, stating what they think is wrong with EA’s version of it, and often, how they think it could’ve been made better.
  • SpillGal wrote: »
    That’s exactly how it would sound if they were letting kids gamble in casinos. «There’s no one saying hey kids, come give us your money. It’s their choice, they think it’s fun! Besides, the majority of our customers are adults.» You see how bad that sounds?
    Also, if the majority spending money on Ultimate Team were adults, there would be no problem admitting this is very much like gambling and give it an age limit reflecting that.
    Funny thing about your list of potential addictions, are that they are all regulated one way or the other.
    Oh, I definitely understand why they focus on Ultimate Team. But I don’t think you are right when you say this is needed to fund the game. There’s a vareity of articles showing how they are raking it in out there.
    I made you a list of the changes that have been made, how is that being biased? I thought your description of which modes are getting most attention was wildly inaccurate, and I still think my list shows how inaccurate that claim was.
    You are right though, I am biased against HUT, in it’s current form. I’m confident HUT could’ve been a fantastic mode, enriching the game and amplifing player engagement, if there were no money involved.
    As of now, gameplay is being compromised to keep players feeling they need to buy just a few more packs. Of course it is. As you stated yourself, EA is a company centred around making money, and this is making them tons of it.
    Again, the majority of changes have come in gameplay. Whether or not you choose to see that is up to you, but it's obvious gameplay is very different than where it was a couple years ago.
    I agree, they have made some changes to the gameplay. My problem with those are they have not made the game any better. The bubble from NHL17 is still there. Playerchanges have actually gotten worse. AI either locking down the crease completly or leaving it wide open, is still present. Even when they fix something, like interceptions, they overdo it. So now players are intercepting pucks they have no chance of seeing.
    The sum of it all, is that the game feels exactly the same as it did four years ago. I think their desire to push players into buying packs is to blame for that lack of progress.
    Speaking of which, you're totally ignoring the probably 95% of people that don't come to the forums. The hardcore crowd that is here makes up a fraction of the community. You're basing your claims that there's no positivity about gameplay on a group that is highly toxic and will find any reason to complain because they hate EA. If you guys really think you can make a better game, find a way to do it.
    Now, you’re the one being biased. Where you see people as highly toxic who are finding any reason to complain because they hate EA (How do you know this?). I see people that are passionate about their favorite sport, stating what they think is wrong with EA’s version of it, and often, how they think it could’ve been made better.

I give this review a 5 out of 5.
  • Agreed. @SpillGal 's post gets the Leo Decaprio Champagne Glass of Approval Seal!