EA Forums - Banner

The Last Straw...

VeNOM2099
3178 posts Member
edited December 2019
Well, I tried. I tried very, very hard to give this game a chance after an initial first couple of days where EVERYTHING about it was just infuriatingly frustrating.

A few days ago I talked to a few people from LG, and they offered to help me see this game in a better light and to just give it a chance so that it might grow on me. So I went back, took my time to re-learn what (I thought) I had already learned. But then things kept going awry again. Things out of my control. I kept plugging away, however... And then this happened:

I mean... When it happened I was stunned at first. Then I watched the replay, and held on for a few seconds before deciding "Nope... Not worth it" and exiting the game (our team still ahead 3-2, BTW). Then later I went and looked at the saved clip a bunch of times after I had cooled off. Maybe my input got lost in lag? No... No, the goalie moves when I hit the trigger to make a save, except he stands up and lets the puck through, then he goes down on his knees. Would've been nice if human Goalies also got to see their inputs like skaters do, eh? But I guess that's too much to ask for... So the game received my controller's inputs correctly, it just DECIDED it didn't want to make a save. it wasn't even a hard shot or a tough shot. There wasn't a screen in front of me. The puck didn't even get deflected. What was the goalie engine confused about that it hesitated like that??

I can't, man! I can't in any good conscience... *Sigh*

I don't want to complain anymore. I just wanted to play the game. I wanted to play because I love the professional sport of hockey. I want to join in a league and have competitive matches with other users. I would love that very much. And I do want to hold myself accountable, just like I do in every other game I play; when I play Street Fighter, if I lose because I missed my combo or I input the wrong move, that's on me. The game doesn't do a Dragon Punch or Hadouken for me. I do it. If I play Gears 5 and I get sawed in half because, it's because I failed to shoot or throw a grenade at the enemy. The game doesn't decide to do it for me. If I play F1 2019 and I crash onto the wall, that's on me. I decide when to accelerate, when to put on the brakes and where to start turning.

Sadly that's not the case with EA's NHL. I feel like there's too much that the game decides for the users. Too many shortcuts that are in place which give users less control. Auto-passing, Auto-shooting, Auto-saves, Auto-puck recovery, Auto-Line changes, etc. How can I be competitive if I'm not the one that's in control??? I get it, it would be nearly impossible to give a user full control of a position like the goalie and make it viable. I get that. So you'd think that AT LEAST, if I do the things I CAN do, like being in position correctly and pressing a button when I have to perform an action, the game would reward me. But no... I get punished because... Well just because! The animation system is either inadequate or too overloaded to handle all the functions we SHOULD have. It kinda feels like this game is a Roller-coaster; I just sit down inside the cart, I get securely locked in place and I'm dragged along for the ride. I don't get to decide where I'm going, how fast I go, nothing. At least if it was a fun ride, but it's barely mediocre at best.

I don't know... I'm just depressed that after so many years, THIS is the state of the game and it will stay like this. There's no incentive for Ben and his dev team to do anything to remedy the situation, this series, on THIS generation of consoles is, for all purposes, done. Next year it's gonna be a "new" game on a "new" generation of consoles, so there's no point in even trying to fix this mess. No tuners can fix this mess. Not even a patch, I'm afraid, as the amount of code to be able to fix all the issues, just with the goalies alone, would probably skyrocket the file size to at least a dozen GBs of data.

This is what the game is. And it's not acceptable. My wife spent 40$ on this as a present for me and it's still not acceptable. Not one bit!

If the game is flawed and has to be fixed, then please; FIX IT! I will give it another chance... I mean, not like I have a choice now. At least I want to validate my wife getting this for me as a gift. But in this state it's not worth it. As Daffy Duck once said: "This is the final... The VERY, VERY Last Straw!"

Sorry for the long post, but yeah... too many things I needed to get off my chest.

Replies

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Well, I tried. I tried very, very hard to give this game a chance after an initial first couple of days where EVERYTHING about it was just infuriatingly frustrating.

A few days ago I talked to a few people from LG, and they offered to help me see this game in a better light and to just give it a chance so that it might grow on me. So I went back, took my time to re-learn what (I thought) I had already learned. But then things kept going awry again. Things out of my control. I kept plugging away, however... And then this happened:

I mean... When it happened I was stunned at first. Then I watched the replay, and held on for a few seconds before deciding "Nope... Not worth it" and exiting the game (our team still ahead 3-2, BTW). Then later I went and looked at the saved clip a bunch of times after I had cooled off. Maybe my input got lost in lag? No... No, the goalie moves when I hit the trigger to make a save, except he stands up and lets the puck through, then he goes down on his knees. Would've been nice if human Goalies also got to see their inputs like skaters do, eh? But I guess that's too much to ask for... So the game received my controller's inputs correctly, it just DECIDED it didn't want to make a save. it wasn't even a hard shot or a tough shot. There wasn't a screen in front of me. The puck didn't even get deflected. What was the goalie engine confused about that it hesitated like that??

I can't, man! I can't in any good conscience... *Sigh*

I don't want to complain anymore. I just wanted to play the game. I wanted to play because I love the professional sport of hockey. I want to join in a league and have competitive matches with other users. I would love that very much. And I do want to hold myself accountable, just like I do in every other game I play; when I play Street Fighter, if I lose because I missed my combo or I input the wrong move, that's on me. The game doesn't do a Dragon Punch or Hadouken for me. I do it. If I play Gears 5 and I get sawed in half because, it's because I failed to shoot or throw a grenade at the enemy. The game doesn't decide to do it for me. If I play F1 2019 and I crash onto the wall, that's on me. I decide when to accelerate, when to put on the brakes and where to start turning.

Sadly that's not the case with EA's NHL. I feel like there's too much that the game decides for the users. Too many shortcuts that are in place which give users less control. Auto-passing, Auto-shooting, Auto-saves, Auto-puck recovery, Auto-Line changes, etc. How can I be competitive if I'm not the one that's in control??? I get it, it would be nearly impossible to give a user full control of a position like the goalie and make it viable. I get that. So you'd think that AT LEAST, if I do the things I CAN do, like being in position correctly and pressing a button when I have to perform an action, the game would reward me. But no... I get punished because... Well just because! The animation system is either inadequate or too overloaded to handle all the functions we SHOULD have. It kinda feels like this game is a Roller-coaster; I just sit down inside the cart, I get securely locked in place and I'm dragged along for the ride. I don't get to decide where I'm going, how fast I go, nothing. At least if it was a fun ride, but it's barely mediocre at best.

I don't know... I'm just depressed that after so many years, THIS is the state of the game and it will stay like this. There's no incentive for Ben and his dev team to do anything to remedy the situation, this series, on THIS generation of consoles is, for all purposes, done. Next year it's gonna be a "new" game on a "new" generation of consoles, so there's no point in even trying to fix this mess. No tuners can fix this mess. Not even a patch, I'm afraid, as the amount of code to be able to fix all the issues, just with the goalies alone, would probably skyrocket the file size to at least a dozen GBs of data.

This is what the game is. And it's not acceptable. My wife spent 40$ on this as a present for me and it's still not acceptable. Not one bit!

If the game is flawed and has to be fixed, then please; FIX IT! I will give it another chance... I mean, not like I have a choice now. At least I want to validate my wife getting this for me as a gift. But in this state it's not worth it. As Daffy Duck once said: "This is the final... The VERY, VERY Last Straw!"

Sorry for the long post, but yeah... too many things I needed to get off my chest.

Even the ai goalies, while flush to the ice in butterfly, perfectly positioned to make the save. All they have to do is stay put. They'll lift their legs up randomly just in time for a 5 hole goal.

There's lots of weird animation choices the ai makes, or in the event of a user goalie, the animations it chooses based on your controller inputs. Just seems random way to too often for what happens, vs what you'd expect to happen.

I don't want to complain anymore. I just wanted to play the game. I wanted to play because I love the professional sport of hockey. I want to join in a league and have competitive matches with other users. I would love that very much. And I do want to hold myself accountable

This perfectly explains how I’ve felt the past few years with this company and game. I’ve resorted to only being able to play offline against ai but even that is barely playable half the time because of the awful programming.

I think all these issues stem from EA making a hockey game directed towards people who have never played hockey before. Because at best it resembles house league hockey but most of the time it feels like figure skating with sticks and a puck.

We need 2k back in the mix so EA starts caring again.
  • It's completely realistic. Goalie was clearly looking for passing options and while he was looking away (assuming pass) it went between his legs.

You would have caught it if you spun your camera around. Totally realistic.

/s

I don't want to complain anymore. I just wanted to play the game. I wanted to play because I love the professional sport of hockey. I want to join in a league and have competitive matches with other users. I would love that very much. And I do want to hold myself accountable

This perfectly explains how I’ve felt the past few years with this company and game. I’ve resorted to only being able to play offline against ai but even that is barely playable half the time because of the awful programming.

I think all these issues stem from EA making a hockey game directed towards people who have never played hockey before. Because at best it resembles house league hockey but most of the time it feels like figure skating with sticks and a puck.

We need 2k back in the mix so EA starts caring again.

There's nothing wrong with making a game (or a game mode) that's geared towards casual players. Did you know that the people who bought Street Fighter 4 back in the day did so to play the offline Arcade mode? At best about 300K to 400K people where playing it online competitively (at its peak) on consoles, yet it sold over 4 million copies when it released.

Games can provide different kinds of enjoyment to different people, and that's good. I don't mind the different kinds of modes provided in this game. I'd rather be able to play with just 100 people online that know how to play 6s, than play with 5000 people who are bad at playing with teammates. Wouldn't it be better if those that have a more "selfish" play type could just go play ONES or THREES and not ruin the experience for those that want to play with good teammates?
    It's completely realistic. Goalie was clearly looking for passing options and while he was looking away (assuming pass) it went between his legs.

You would have caught it if you spun your camera around. Totally realistic.

/s

LOL! Of course! How did I not see that? ;)

Seriously though, let's pretend you WERE being serious, that wouldn't even make sense because the goalie's head is CLEARLY looking at the shooter the whole time. Also, everyone else on the "WHITE" team was being completely covered so there really wasn't any danger of the goalie anticipating a pass in that situation.

The only thing I could think of that would make sense is that lag delayed my input to oblivion. And yet the connection felt really good the whole game. I didn't experience even small stutters which would indicate packet loss or even any type of latency issues. Up until that point every input I had done was working beautifully. Network Connection graph during the intermission had shown I was at 23ms AVG ping with a smooth flat line, no spikes. So what, I happened to get a HUGE lag spike at that particular time, just as he shot the puck? But the game didn't stutter or freeze for a few seconds as it normally would during a lag spike. It was smooth as butter!

So we go back to the other point; the game got "confused" and didn't give me a save when I requested it. Why? Well who knows... I'm sure Ben would know and he'd go into a lengthy explanation about WHY it happened. But to me, it doesn't really matter WHY it happened. To me it's more important to know WHAT is being done to fix it so that it doesn't happen again. After the problem is fixed, I'll listen to any explanation about why it happened.