EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update December 5th

Replies

• Greyinsi
    139 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    What’s with latest patch?! Two 6vs6 Chel games played with couple AI players. Three 5min AI penalties in two matches. Why AI suddenly needs to skate full speed east to west and hit behind to the boards...
    And the Snoop Dog addition?! Why am I looking his face on top of my skater in tight situation? Cant see a thing...
  • BikerTox wrote: »
    2 months and they still can't fix the pre-game stats error? This is as easy a fix as exists in programming yet EA can't do it.

Please fix this!!!
  • Fix your junk riddled packs.
  • Maybe we should think about WHY people feel they are forced to LT all the time. I am only talking about 6s, no computers in my examples.

# 1
    players in this game keep their elbows glued to their hip when stick handling, this is UNREALISTIC considering players in real life learn to extend the elbow away from the hip for greater forehand and back hand extension and even more depth in the curl and drag.

#2 When the other team is trapping and you beat them with a nice pass to your teammate for a breakaway the defensive team still catches up to you. This is unrealistic for two reasons, #1 defenders speed up too fast from standing still at their blue line. #2 forward player receiving the breakaway has to hold off left stick and glide WAY longer then is required in real life to receive a pass. Lt is being used in this situation every time because using real life hockey iq and finding a pass to beat the trap does NOT work like in real life against a decent trapping team.

#3 Players passes are far too weak and the puck doesn't slide fast enough, I watch 12 year olds saucer the puck up the ice faster ,further and more accurately on a OUTDOOR rink in Calgary half covered in snow then guys like Joe Thornton can in this game. Reward us for passing to a open lane and players will pass! as it stands now passes are so slow and players have to glide so long to receive a pass that everyone catches up to them, even the guy who passed it can catch up.

#4 The realistic dekes in this game are hilariously bad. for example when you start a toe drag in real life it only takes a couple inches to stop the forward movement of the puck, yet when you do a toe drag in nhl 20 your guy will move for three FEET before any forward movement is stopped. After you compensate for the online ping you have to toe drag about 5 feet before you actually want it to happen and that's completely unrealistic.

#5 Dekes in this game lock you into the full animation and are always the same. This allows defenders to know exactly where and when you will be when the deke ends. This is unrealistic considering in real life players can adjust and even stop moves half way through as they read and react on the ice.

Basically all of the realistic ways to play hockey in this game are unrealistically nerfed.
  • Yet another update goes by, and EASHL is still stuck with the atrocious full-width scoreboard, even though other modes in the game have the regular scoreboard in the top left as an option.

Utterly... mind blowing.
  • I'm an offline player and a player who really isn't bothered by all these reported AI problems. With all due respect to those players who are, I hope EA fixes them. On a different note. "Content
    - Customize Club – The 2019-20 Canucks logo has been added, and the 2018-19 Canucks Logo has been moved to the vintage section" This is taken directly from the update notes. I can't find any noticeable change in the Canucks arena ice logo or with their jerseys, so what exactly do you mean buy this EA? When are you going to put the Vancouver Canucks 50th anniversary jersey patches on their jerseys and fix the Rogers Arena center ice logo in the offline modes?
  • AJC723
    4 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    ABDCE
    Post edited by AJC723 on
  • Moving in right direction.Looks good really.It's a happy medium..you either loose the puck going the old speed or you get this where you skate slower but keep the puck..I like it!
    But I really think the DEFENCE controls in regards to how it was on NHL 94 SNES is missed here. If you want left Dman you press left bumper..if you want right? you get it.

How can you have an opinion on something you've never played?
  • renamed57635
    214 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    AJC723 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    LOL!

I just spent some time on the LG chat box, one user's quote (verbatim) was: "Is there a consistent move that works all the time Forwards can use now on offense?"

Me: "Yeah, try using RT"

Him: "LOL! RT doesn't even work! Half the time it gets intercepted by the Defense because they're OP"

There you have it... And the thing is, according to others in the chat box, LT is working just fine after the nerf. People can still abuse it.

So once again EA promises they'll nerf an exploit and don't actually follow through with their promise. Surprise, Surprise!!
    As you can see, there are people on both sides and it isn't all determined by what we do with the mechanics, it is also determined by player skill with the mechanics as well. For some people we have nerfed LT, while others feel that there is more to be done.

The videos in this thread show all the things we have been adding and trying out as well as describe what we have currently tuned in.

The only promise we can make is that we are listening to the community, trying some things and paying close attention to how those changes impact the overall gameplay experience relative to how we expect the game to be played. How people respond to and feel about the changes will always be subjective and we can weigh all of that feedback and what we see from the game being played live against our original goals for the game.

To be honest, why can't you just put the physical capacity to withstand body contact to 0 when feathering , pressing, or holding LT?

it would not affect anyone in the least that backskates in their zone, like D men for example, when there is no physical contact. I obviously lack all the ins and outs since I do not program the game, but seems extremely simple from this point of view. While twiddling around and skating sideways in real life you would simply get destroyed by physical contact, and most probably injured as well.

This post needs to get more attention. As someone who puts probably 25-30 DAYS of game time every year, devs, if you're reading this, this is the answer.

So many times on defense, you go to hit a guy who's pivoting or just gliding with the puck and your skater gets caught in this slow hit animation but just whiffs on the hit while being close enough to make contact with the skater.

There's also a huge issue where if you're backskating and facing the puck when trying to intercept a pass, you won't, but if you're skating backwards and looking nowhere near it, your skater does a pickup animation without looking and without really being in the lane. It's broken and rewards players for being in bad position and punishes players for squaring up to the puck while getting in between passing lanes.

I also think the two-way forward is getting nerfed terribly year over year, but I can't prove it.

It's user error when you morph past on hits. I have mentioned this numerous times of these forums about it. It's because you are engaging the hit while the guy is moving his stick. Body checks lock onto the puck for some reason and once the puck carrier moves his stick and you are in that animation, you are trying to make contact where his stick was. I'm assuming you are priming the hit as well. Meaning, holding the body check button well before you are in the proper area to make contact.

Fyi, your hit will not be all that more devastating when you try locking onto the hit from a distance. All you are doing is creating more speed to impact and giving the puck carrier ample to evade you instead of relying on your attributes and real on ice awareness as you should. Every check doesn't need to be a bone crusher either. The main objective is to disrupt. If you can slow the puck carrier down till help arrives, dislodge him from the puck or put him into a position to lose puck possession, you are doing the right thing. Having a guys head on missle lock from across the ice with arms up in the air is disadvantageous.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    Have the drop-in shadows been fixed?

of course not. why fix it now? its been a problem since day 1 and shouldn't have been released like this? We told them everything they were doing with drop ins was ruining the mode last year and they came back and made it 100x worse this year.

I think they are banking on the erroneous statement that "drop ins are for casual screw off time" so they don't really care what state it is in. if you don't like it just play club. Rather than recognizing what it should be, slightly more casual, more impromptu, "ungrouped" version of club...but same experience.

I guess they are too busy adding dumb stuff like Snoop Dogg in the game instead of dedicating time to things that actually matter. EA is the worst.
    Even though having Snoop Dogg added wasn't in my top priority list, they gave us an option to silent him. It's in the audio settings, "Guest in booth" iirc.

Imo there should be much more options to enable/disable stuff in settings, forced replays just for example.
  • Tier1SOFOperator
    496 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    I play offline in “Play Now“ and the game is playing very well. I’ve noticed a vast improvement in the AI, passing is way better and the puck is looser. Defections have never been better also. Loving it.
    Post edited by Tier1SOFOperator on
  • It's user error when you morph past on hits....
    ...Body checks lock onto the puck for some reason
    So, rather than user error, it's just poorly designed then?
    I did not know this was the case. If it really is, that might explain why it sometimes feels as the attacker has some kind of a force field, guiding you around him.
    I do agree with you, however, that if you telegraph your hit from the other side of the rink, you should be easy to avoid.
    The main objective is to disrupt. If you can slow the puck carrier down till help arrives, dislodge him from the puck or put him into a position to lose puck possession, you are doing the right thing.
    Agreed, but with the effectiveness of puck-protect, all of these have been kind of mute.
    Also, when the attacker is just standing or gliding at the blueline, puck behind their back, they should be an easy target.
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    Have the drop-in shadows been fixed?

of course not. why fix it now? its been a problem since day 1 and shouldn't have been released like this? We told them everything they were doing with drop ins was ruining the mode last year and they came back and made it 100x worse this year.

I think they are banking on the erroneous statement that "drop ins are for casual screw off time" so they don't really care what state it is in. if you don't like it just play club. Rather than recognizing what it should be, slightly more casual, more impromptu, "ungrouped" version of club...but same experience.

I guess they are too busy adding dumb stuff like Snoop Dogg in the game instead of dedicating time to things that actually matter. EA is the worst.
    Even though having Snoop Dogg added wasn't in my top priority list, they gave us an option to silent him. It's in the audio settings, "Guest in booth" iirc.

Imo there should be much more options to enable/disable stuff in settings, forced replays just for example.

You know what? I don't really care for Snoop per say, but I must say it was a pleasant surprise to have not only additional commentary added, but having a guest commentator was actually cool. Refreshed the commentary a bit and as far as I remember, has never been done before.
  • Mattius14 wrote: »
    Yet another update goes by, and EASHL is still stuck with the atrocious full-width scoreboard, even though other modes in the game have the regular scoreboard in the top left as an option.

Utterly... mind blowing.

I didn't see this option, can someone help me here? As a franchise mode player I am interested in whether the smaller score bug would be better for me.
  • AJC723 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »
    LOL!

I just spent some time on the LG chat box, one user's quote (verbatim) was: "Is there a consistent move that works all the time Forwards can use now on offense?"

Him: "LOL! RT doesn't even work! Half the time it gets intercepted by the Defense because they're OP"

There you have it... And the thing is, according to others in the chat box, LT is working just fine after the nerf. People can still abuse it.

So once again EA promises they'll nerf an exploit and don't actually follow through with their promise. Surprise, Surprise!!
    As you can see, there are people on both sides and it isn't all determined by what we do with the mechanics, it is also determined by player skill with the mechanics as well. For some people we have nerfed LT, while others feel that there is more to be done.

The videos in this thread show all the things we have been adding and trying out as well as describe what we have currently tuned in.

The only promise we can make is that we are listening to the community, trying some things and paying close attention to how those changes impact the overall gameplay experience relative to how we expect the game to be played. How people respond to and feel about the changes will always be subjective and we can weigh all of that feedback and what we see from the game being played live against our original goals for the game.

To be honest, why can't you just put the physical capacity to withstand body contact to 0 when feathering , pressing, or holding LT?

it would not affect anyone in the least that backskates in their zone, like D men for example, when there is no physical contact. I obviously lack all the ins and outs since I do not program the game, but seems extremely simple from this point of view. While twiddling around and skating sideways in real life you would simply get destroyed by physical contact, and most probably injured as well.

This post needs to get more attention. As someone who puts probably 25-30 DAYS of game time every year, devs, if you're reading this, this is the answer.

So many times on defense, you go to hit a guy who's pivoting or just gliding with the puck and your skater gets caught in this slow hit animation but just whiffs on the hit while being close enough to make contact with the skater.

There's also a huge issue where if you're backskating and facing the puck when trying to intercept a pass, you won't, but if you're skating backwards and looking nowhere near it, your skater does a pickup animation without looking and without really being in the lane. It's broken and rewards players for being in bad position and punishes players for squaring up to the puck while getting in between passing lanes.

I also think the two-way forward is getting nerfed terribly year over year, but I can't prove it.

It's user error when you morph past on hits. I have mentioned this numerous times of these forums about it. It's because you are engaging the hit while the guy is moving his stick. Body checks lock onto the puck for some reason and once the puck carrier moves his stick and you are in that animation, you are trying to make contact where his stick was. I'm assuming you are priming the hit as well. Meaning, holding the body check button well before you are in the proper area to make contact.

Fyi, your hit will not be all that more devastating when you try locking onto the hit from a distance. All you are doing is creating more speed to impact and giving the puck carrier ample to evade you instead of relying on your attributes and real on ice awareness as you should. Every check doesn't need to be a bone crusher either. The main objective is to disrupt. If you can slow the puck carrier down till help arrives, dislodge him from the puck or put him into a position to lose puck possession, you are doing the right thing. Having a guys head on missle lock from across the ice with arms up in the air is disadvantageous.

Also when you "prime" your hits in advance, you have a bigger chance of getting a penalty and this was once explained by a dev, maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

But yes indeed you should be priming a hit as late as possible as they are more effective.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    After a few games last night to test out the new update, I'm sad to say that it still feels largely the same. People are still abusing the LT (as predicted) as the nerf didn't go far enough.

I really don't mind if people use it to create a little space, but when they're back skating with the puck from their zone to our zone, there's not much you can do to them without causing a penalty or putting yourself out of position as they retain way too much agility and puck control. For myself, I try to keep my body aligned with theirs so that they can't have a free line to the net. But many other people aren't as patient and just want to get at the puck by any means possible, as quickly as possible so they try to ram into them or poke them to dislodge the puck, so they end up either getting coned as they miss the hit or they get penalty after penalty for trying to poke the puck away from the opponent who has their back turned to them.

The issue with the goalies hugging the post and shooting out of a canon when they release it is fixed, but they still give up too many goals to poor decision making on what saves to make. And I'm not just talking about ME allowing goals, but other human opponents and even the AI goalies are just letting in too many questionable goals because of bad save animations.

Bad in the sense that, for example, a goalie will go into a compact "blocking" butterlfy save, then he has the entire glove side open and should favour a more limb based type save. Even if he doesn't stop the puck, it would like a million times better for the goalie to stretch out his arms and/or legs to attempt a save than to slide with his limbs tucked into his body and allow the puck to easily go in the net.

If they can fix the goalies, then this game will be on the right track. Not yet "great", but better.

PS;

Oh, BTW... EA? The "Snoop dance" celly? It's actually called "Drop it like it's hot"... If you're gonna go to the trouble of putting something licensed into the game (I'm sure you had to pay Snoop to include it), maybe get the name right, eh? ;)
  • Axel_Owretchsin
    296 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Glad to see the core game is still being worked on and not just HUT and celebrity commentators. Also, anyone know if there are still missing AHL players?
  • This patch hasn’t fixed anything game play wise, please nerf Lt and protect puck
  • I can't comment too much because I have yet to play it, but if it looks like the video I'm glad they're doing something at least to combat against it. I really hope they didn't "under-do" it to the point of where it's still abuseable. Like Wain said, we should decrease the player's ability to take a hit in this animation.

With that said though, if they're actively working on these things that we're asking for, I'm not too sure why everybody is slagging them for doing what we want. We should encourage this behaviour, not deter it in the future. I was the one who made the comment about losing the puck at high speed pivots, and based on the video somebody actually listened to my advice of adjust the puck control sliders to do this. This is good.

But again, haven't played. Haven't seen a stream of it online in actual play so take my comment with a grain of salt. It looks slow in the videos, so hopefully it emulated the videos.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    LOL!

Just remember that even though many things are subjective, emulating the game that we watch on TV should always be your reference. Nobody gets too upset that one-timers go in (even though they are OP at times) because in real life, they go in so often and it's a true interpretation of the sport. Just recreate the sport we're trying to play and the people complaining about the game being realistic will often get shut down by the larger community of people who actually watch the game religiously. 99% of the time if you recreate the realism, rather than trying to balance the arcade with the realism, you'll get more satisfaction and fun out of the game because in real life, the game is quite balanced.

With tuners, you can play a pretty close to realistic version of hockey in this game (minus small details and obviously the largest things preventing true realism is AI not playing like realistic hockey players with things like overpassing, etc.) where the puck is more loose, the rebounds are way better, shots from the slot work if they're accurate, etc.

I'd be more than happy to show you how I've tuned the game to create realistic scenarios that aren't seen in the "out of the box" product.