EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

Oh my... Snoop Dogg? Really?!

13Next

Replies

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    You guys do know that the people who do the voice work and the guys that design the arena are different teams right? Just because a cosmetic thing is done doesn't mean they take resources away from the gameplay itself. Doesn't make it right or wrong but there is different teams on the development that do different things

Uh, yes it does take away from the game. A cosmetic "thing" as you say costs money. Money that you can't use for say, game development or fixing issues.

I don't think it really works that way... When developing software, the studio will often pre-allocate the budget into different parts before they even begin coding. Like 20% for the art, 30% to work on the core of the game, 10% for updates, patches and fixes down the line, etc. So adding Snoop (or anyone else) doesn't cost EA anything more, it was just always part of the plan.

They can't fix issues with the core gameplay because either it's not in their plans to fix anything with it (after all, gameplay "is in a good place right now"), or because the issues WE would like to have them fix are simply not high enough in their priority list.

Even so, it's not just the gameplay that needs fixing.

Presentation and graphics errors are all time high in NHL 20.
  • Anyone know if Snoop uses the same lines whenever he appears? How often does he actually appear? Not going to lie, I almost loaded up a game the other day just listen to it.

He has a bunch of lines he says during commentary. He obviously didn't spend weeks or months reading scripts that EA put into the game and he's only there for 1 period. There are a few cool lines he has, like when he's asked how people react to him being involved in hockey in general or if he's ever skated on ice. I heard him in ONES, THREES and a drop-ins game. That's all I've played after the patch...

Oh, and I saw him appear during an LG match stream. So he also appears during Club matches as well.
  • Every game?
  • [quote="Jeff_frm_Edmonds;c-2105521"]I think it's awsome and like I said in the other tread on this subject, I can't wait to see who else is doing this. That he sat down and did some commentary is beyond cool.

[/quote]

Not
  • VeNOM2099
    2825 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Every game?

I don't think it's every game. I haven't played this game again since the patch came out, because... Well nothing's fixed with the gameplay and the goalies are still 3 notches below butt poop, so it's a NO GO for me for this game. But you do see him pop up on occasion. He's also playable in Pro-Am mode if you select the Snoop Challenges.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Every game?

I don't think it's every game. I haven't played this game again since the patch came out, because... Well nothing's fixed with the gameplay and the goalies are still 3 notches below butt poop, so it's a NO GO for me for this game. But you do see him pop up on occasion. He's also playable in Pro-Am mode if you select the Snoop Challenges.

I played a few games last night and didn't hear Snoop a single time. Thought maybe it was over or something.
  • Fo Shizzle I will not be purchasing any future iterations of this dumpster fire on ice!
  • Anyone know if Snoop uses the same lines whenever he appears? How often does he actually appear? Not going to lie, I almost loaded up a game the other day just listen to it.

He only has a few lines. In all modes even offline
  • Last night Snoop was bedizzling his lines in all his fozzilshness. So I guess he shows up every so often.
  • @MaxPac67 @VeNOM2099

Although I might have not responded to concerns around specific topics being discussed on these boards (ex: shadows on canals), that doesn't imply I'm not taking note of these for the team to be aware of for their feedback sessions. A lot of the devs read the discussions here without responding, too. They might still be in testing phases for changes and need a little bit more time before giving a clear response. I'll try to see if we can get some info around some hot topics as soon as possible. I'll do what I can to champion for your causes.

This is the 4th year on current gen. How much time do they need? I should rephrase that as to how much time do they think consumers are willingly going to wait? It took them X number of years on past gen and never figured it out. This gen they havent figured it out. Next gen consoles will be out around Christmas 2020. Maybe by the time PS8 is released we will get a respectable hockey game to play.

It has taken how long to address the L2/LT exploiting, 2 years? The update did not resolve anything at all. People cried about spam poking and that sure as heck gets nerfed into the ground quickly.

Adding things like hockey bags, clown gear, celebrities and all other gimmicks should be a though only and after the gameplay is to standard.

I do though feel the game is heading in the right direction. It just needs that push from wherever it's lacking.

Late to the party here, but I agree. Unfortunately, using the words "next-gen" is becoming an overused excuse for not fixing / addressing issues. It seems to be the scapegoat now for all video game developers and one I'm very tired of hearing. "Oh, we'll need development time because it's next-gen...."

Issues have plagued this series prior to next-gen and still exist today. There is incredibly bad AI passing logic in this game, but I'm so glad they could spend time adding Snoop Dog and other things no one asked for. I'm glad when position lock on a player, I still have to control every player in the shootout...??? The offline experience is very limited. Why couldn't they expand the "chel" 1v1v1 to be 1 v CPU v CPU ??? Gives us those options at least. Or...wait for it....the all star game format that has been in the NHL for years now.

But hey, with all the issues still going on, I'm sure we'll get Baby Yoda as skater next.