EA Forums - Banner

3rd periods

So I play pretty much franchise mode on superstar difficulty, and I was just curious if there's a feature in the game to where if I play all 3 periods the same, why in the 3rd does the AI just become superhuman and are able to draw every penalty, steal every pass and make every shot? Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm just curious.

Replies

• So I play pretty much franchise mode on superstar difficulty, and I was just curious if there's a feature in the game to where if I play all 3 periods the same, why in the 3rd does the AI just become superhuman and are able to draw every penalty, steal every pass and make every shot? Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm just curious.

The computer will change it's strategy if it needs to catch up so you need to adapt. As far as then being superhuman and picking off passes they have no business getting, and making every shot... Welcome to the conversation on whether or not tilt exists. Hint.. It doesn't, but then something is sure off isn't it?
  • Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    So I play pretty much franchise mode on superstar difficulty, and I was just curious if there's a feature in the game to where if I play all 3 periods the same, why in the 3rd does the AI just become superhuman and are able to draw every penalty, steal every pass and make every shot? Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm just curious.

The computer will change it's strategy if it needs to catch up so you need to adapt. As far as then being superhuman and picking off passes they have no business getting, and making every shot... Welcome to the conversation on whether or not tilt exists. Hint.. It doesn't, but then something is sure off isn't it?

It isn't ice tilt. It is a few things. 1. Intercepting a hard pass while not facing the play. 2. Controlling your skater while skating backwards is harder than it should be. 3. Too much control with the puck (I.E. S-turns and 360 pivoting on a dime) allows people to loop and control the puck when they should be easily stopped. 4. Powering up passes takes too long and, in turn, causes turnovers to happen when they shouldn't as well as taking away the ability for real quick, tic tac toe passing plays. 5. Loose pucks and who wins them is a crap shoot.
  • So I play pretty much franchise mode on superstar difficulty, and I was just curious if there's a feature in the game to where if I play all 3 periods the same, why in the 3rd does the AI just become superhuman and are able to draw every penalty, steal every pass and make every shot? Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm just curious.

EA's non-existent ice tilt lol and I love when people say the AI change strategies yet they only thing EA cant seem to figure out is how to get the goalies to learn how glitchers play
  • EA_Blueberry
    4823 posts EA Community Manager

EA's non-existent ice tilt lol and I love when people say the AI change strategies yet they only thing EA cant seem to figure out is how to get the goalies to learn how glitchers play

Having goalies learn how glitchers play sounds like machine learning in which EA has experimented with some games like this one. No information on whether this is being experimented by the NHL team, but it's always exciting to see how far technology is advancing. :)

You can always program scenarios in game where if X skater does this then goalie Y will do that, but when things are being designed one way, it doesn't always mean the community WILL play that way. Gamers will find the best way to score goals and the team will have to continually make adjustments when necessary. If it's an "exploit" though, please feel free to private message me info on any you feel needs to be raised so we can get that over to the team in order to be addressed in a hotfix or update. For expectations, updates have been month-to-month.

Feedback received though! We know a lot of players want AI improvements for all skaters (defensive men and goalies are some specific positions I see discussed frequently here).
  • Speaking of 3rd periods, can we have the option to turn off the real time last minute of play in the 3rd period? That last full minute adds about 5 minutes on to the game, which in turn, creates unrealistic stats and creates that constant 3rd period comeback goals because of the extended time.

At least gives us the option to control how long that last minute is like you do with the power play time.