EA Forums - Banner

Honest opinion about CHEL 3s dropin

Prev1
Taste-D-Rainbow
2514 posts Member
edited January 2020
1) The mode shouldn't be CHEL worthy. Not bashing in "CHEL" but 3s should be played on a Ones surface. Full ice doesnt make sense and NHL rules shouldn't apply since it a terrible concept.

2 )Penalties equaling penalty shots is dumb. Boring and takes away from any immersion hence it should be an arcade mode with no penalties.

3) Just get rid of it so we can have a full community playing 6s.

Replies

• I Disagree. If it wasn't for EASHL 3's I'd have stopped playing this game ages ago. I'm an online only player and to me 6's is a big CF. If 6's in this game was played on an international sized rink it'd be a lot more enjoyable (in my opinion) but as it stands now I have a lot more fun playing club/drop-in 3's than 6's.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    3s dropin feels like I I'm strapping on the skates at my ODR. Shouldnt have penalties and such.
  • RSall14
    607 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Instead of a penalty shot, stop play and give the PP team possession of the puck. Keep the clock running so people can't abuse this to draw games out.
  • Ummmmm..... no

Terrible post
  • EA_Blueberry
    4633 posts EA Community Manager
    Played some 3's last night and even though we lost most of the games it was a blast. It's great when I'm in a mood for a much faster gameplay experience.
  • Ummmmm..... no

Terrible post

Thanks for the input.
    Played some 3's last night and even though we lost most of the games it was a blast. It's great when I'm in a mood for a much faster gameplay experience.

3s has its ups but it has more downs imo. The biggest up is that there are less players in the lobby so that reduces the amount of people who could ruin the game for you.

As a Dman, unless you're playing with friends, never expect to get the puck because no one passes. It's basically a dropin mode of attempted and failed highlight reels.
  • 3s is the best part of CHEL. There is a very large community that enjoys the hell out of it. Including the penalty shots.
  • Ummmmm..... no

Terrible post

Thanks for the input.

3s has its ups but it has more downs imo. The biggest up is that there are less players in the lobby so that reduces the amount of people who could ruin the game for you.

As a Dman, unless you're playing with friends, never expect to get the puck because no one passes. It's basically a dropin mode of attempted and failed highlight reels.

When I'm playing up and I kick it to a defender and/or cover his position so he can attack I can tell the combination of the shock and the tear in his eye are making it much harder for him to perform.
  • 3v3 is making 6v6 worse.

So many players come into 6's now and just try to skate into the zone without passing like they're playing 3v3 with tons of open ice.. then just get checked and cause a turnover. 3v3 is one of the worst things to happen to this franchise. It's not real Hockey, it encourages players to play selfishly, and a penalty shot for every penalty is dumb.

Get rid of it and learn how to play real Hockey, which is 6v6.
  • 9d8ycigofc2m.jpg

This. 100%.
  • 9d8ycigofc2m.jpg

This. 100%.

And seconded!
  • Thirded. Even though 98% of drops I play are 3's, all these modes are fracturing an already tiny base.
  • So basically you're mad that a large portion of the playerbase stopped playing 6's in recent years and since you don't like 3's, everyone should stop playing them and EA should get rid of them altogether. Got it. Makes sense.

I suggest you get over yourself sooner rather than later cause they're here to stay whether you like it or not buddy. Also, you might want to ask yourself why so many players made the switch from 6's to 3's to begin with. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you and a lot of top (and casual) players find 3's way more fun than 6's.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    So basically you're mad that a large portion of the playerbase stopped playing 6's in recent years and since you don't like 3's, everyone should stop playing them and EA should get rid of them altogether. Got it. Makes sense.

I suggest you get over yourself sooner rather than later cause they're here to stay whether you like it or not buddy. Also, you might want to ask yourself why so many players made the switch from 6's to 3's to begin with. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you and a lot of top (and casual) players find 3's way more fun than 6's.

NHL used to be at its peak when it had lobbies and only featured 6v6.

The franchise I used to play year round is now an arcade mess that doesnt resemble real life hockey and probably would fold if it wasn't for HUT keeping it afloat.

Just my guess but I'd wager sales on the actual game are nowhere they used to be since it goes on sale early October these days.

Sadly gaming these days is about rushing a game out the door, unfinished, and using useless gimmicks to draw in casuals so they can spend on microtransactions.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    Thirded. Even though 98% of drops I play are 3's, all these modes are fracturing an already tiny base.

This exactly. I don't have anything against 3's so much as I wish I could go back in time and either stop the devs from making so many other game modes to splinter the player base or make the game good enough to maintain a player base to support them all.

That being said though, 3's eliminator and ones would be easy modes to lose to strengthen the other modes if they weren't created just to be supply crate farms.
  • Agree with 3s fracturing the already smallish player base. It is for over time in the real NHL. Leave it at that for gods sakes.

This is an NHL title. Full 3s games do not exist in the NHL.
  • Agree with 3s fracturing the already smallish player base. It is for over time in the real NHL. Leave it at that for gods sakes.

NHL OT is not 3s, its 4s. I'm ok with that. it's not real hockey but before that OT was a waste of time. It was a dumb boring defensive battle while they play for shootout.

3s hockey is not played on a full ice rink anywhere in the world. Ever. 3s as an arcade mode is fine. As part of "real" drop in hockey? Thats ridiculous. Its not hockey anymore than 1v1v1 is hockey. On top of all that the penalty shot every single time there's a penalty is just icing on the cake for this joke mode of non hockey. Instead of doing something smart like adding an additional player to give them a 4v3 PP, they give the other team a guaranteed goal.

And yes we all know why most people play 3s. Because they just want a giant ice to skate around dekeing and 1timing without having to face an actual hockey defense.

End result WAY less people that play 6s (a very bad thing) and more importantly you took a community that in general already sucks at hockey and gave them a mode that taught them horrible habits. Which leads to more whining about how "there's no room to do anything in 6s".

NHL OT is not 3s, its 4s. I'm ok with that. it's not real hockey but before that OT was a waste of time. It was a dumb boring defensive battle while they play for shootout.

3s hockey is not played on a full ice rink anywhere in the world. Ever. 3s as an arcade mode is fine. As part of "real" drop in hockey? Thats ridiculous. Its not hockey anymore than 1v1v1 is hockey. On top of all that the penalty shot every single time there's a penalty is just icing on the cake for this joke mode of non hockey. Instead of doing something smart like adding an additional player to give them a 4v3 PP, they give the other team a guaranteed goal.

And yes we all know why most people play 3s. Because they just want a giant ice to skate around dekeing and 1timing without having to face an actual hockey defense.

End result WAY less people that play 6s (a very bad thing) and more importantly you took a community that in general already sucks at hockey and gave them a mode that taught them horrible habits. Which leads to more whining about how "there's no room to do anything in 6s".

While I do not totally agree nor disagree with you here, you may however want to ask yourself this:

For those that more space to just deke around and do one-timers, do you really want them in a 6s setting? Would you want those guys on your team every time you dropin?
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    436 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Agree with 3s fracturing the already smallish player base. It is for over time in the real NHL. Leave it at that for gods sakes.

End result WAY less people that play 6s (a very bad thing) and more importantly you took a community that in general already sucks at hockey and gave them a mode that taught them horrible habits. Which leads to more whining about how "there's no room to do anything in 6s
    ".

Said it perfectly!

Bringing back lobbies would solve the low player base problem and make setting up games much easier, but 6v6 will continue to suffer as long as 3v3 is around.

Speaking of 3v3 and every penalty being a penalty shot.. It used to be a 4v3 powerplay, but they changed it to penalty shots for some reason. Someone on here had a great suggestion, I don't remember who it was but here it is... Every penalty was only 1 minute, not 2 minutes. First penalty would be 3v2. If there was another penalty then it goes to 3v1. A 3rd penalty would only then result in a penalty shot. It would be possible to even have a 1v1 scenario if each side had 2 penalties in succession.

It's at least worth a try, I think it would be better than a penalty shot every penalty.
    Some might complain "no way, that's not Hockey", yeah well neither is 3v3.

While I do not totally agree nor disagree with you here, you may however want to ask yourself this:

For those that more space to just deke around and do one-timers, do you really want them in a 6s setting? Would you want those guys on your team every time you dropin?

dude, its drop in. I'll just settle for people that have an iq over 50 and don't play like they are using their feet instead of hands. If I play 8 drop ins in a night I "MIGHT" find 2 or 3 of those people. Which is awesome since the broken CR system means i basically have to win like 75% of the games to keep my CR from dropping into the toilet. Which is increasingly difficult when 1/3 of the games are against a bunch of 800+ CR guys while my team averages 400.

back on topic, i actually find more decent players in 3s than 6s just because no one wants to touch 6s drop ins with a 10ft pole. EA has taken its best feature and destroyed it.