EA Forums - Banner

Threes CPU/ mascot

In the beta the mascot/ CPU felt dumbed down and it was a breath of fresh air. I could not stand being beaten by two somewhat good forwards and a cpu defenseman that would breakup any play as the two humans would sell out on offense.

Now I play the game and I think the computer is better than ever before. The mascot has a crazy long reach to stop 1t's and has made some insane plays in offense. You're selling yourself short by playing with 3 humans. There's no incentive at ALL to play with 3 guys. The CPU seems so much better than any human can play, I've never been more irritated with this game. Threes was my relaxing game. Now it's just frustrating trying to deal with CPU/ mascots. I'm at the point where holding them down or against the boards is starting to seem like the best option. Please EA tell me why you want the CPU to be good? Personally I think from a sales point more people would be asking friends to purchase the game so they don't have to play with bad CPU's. From a gaming perspective more people would want to meet and play with other people and not have so much CPU influence. In 19 I was up in a game by 15.. someone quit and they beat us because the cpu scored 8 goals in less than 2 periods..

I say it so much.. a cpu should be as bad as the worst human.. that way if someone quits it can ONLY hurt them. It should NEVER be an advantage to have a CPU. At this point I'm not even asking my friends to buy this years game.. it's better to let the CPU handle d. Nearly every top threes team is running with CPU. I've not played 6's because my buddies didn't all get deluxe but if defenseman are good in that too I don't think we'll be in the market for trying to always run with a full squad or try to get other friends to purchase..

Make CPU bad and you get more people buying, more people playing together, and more scoring (ea obviously likes that part)

Replies

• Seriously, every team I faced had a mascot killing it for the team, quite annoying for real people. If I face regular people no matter the people I play with we manage at least 1 goal. Wich i haven’t done yet against it
  • AI in online play needs to be nerfed. I'm sick of being punished for having a lead, only to have the players quit and the AI take over and look like the Harlem globe trotters of hockey. Seriously. If you are in a 6v6 drop, even with say, a 4 or 5 goal lead, if they end up with mostly computers and your human goalie stays, you are likely going to lose.
  • AI in online play needs to be nerfed. I'm sick of being punished for having a lead, only to have the players quit and the AI take over and look like the Harlem globe trotters of hockey. Seriously. If you are in a 6v6 drop, even with say, a 4 or 5 goal lead, if they end up with mostly computers and your human goalie stays, you are likely going to lose.

yup...the ai should have a rating of like 35 lol. Sad thing is, with 35 rating they could probably still outskate mcdavid
  • It's really my biggest complaint with this game. I'm not sure how many times I complain about CPU play when playing this game. I feel that it would fix SO much if they severely nerfed them. CPU carries a team way too well! We were in a game last night (drop 6s) up 3-2 their center quit Midway through the third because we scored. Their CPU center came in and scored 2 goals in the last 10 to win 4-3 and he shutdown our offense almost single handedly. Cross crease pass? Nope, he has that covered! Puck on net for possible rebound? Nope, before it even hits the goalie the CPU is making a beeline for where it will rebound and WILL get it. Shot from the point? Nope, CPU will just intercept it at 100mph. Try to score on a breakaway? Nope, their stick can go between your legs and poke the puck away, and they're faster.

I don't wanna play with or against CPU. They ruin this game. Their abilities are sooo much different from any human. They do things we can't. They cover for poor gameplay by the opposing team. They are so broken in WOC. I won't speak on HUT but I feel EA should be able to make HUT CPU different from WOC CPU. If NOTHING else make their speed and other stats a LOT lower. Then their super abilities won't be QUITE as broken.

As it stands now, my team won't pass if we're near a cpu because it will definitely be picked. If you're near a cpu and a loose puck we often just drop back into d because he will win. If there's a d or c at center we won't even attempt a rebound goal. We are really just limited to throwing pucks on net the second we get into the zone and hoping one trickles in because if you don't get it off that CPU is likely to end up with it before long. I wouldn't be so mad if I didn't consider myself a decent player but when I face most humans I routinely get wins in nearly any mode. Yet in nearly any mode in WOC CPU is more of a concern than most humans.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    It's really my biggest complaint with this game. I'm not sure how many times I complain about CPU play when playing this game. I feel that it would fix SO much if they severely nerfed them. CPU carries a team way too well! We were in a game last night (drop 6s) up 3-2 their center quit Midway through the third because we scored. Their CPU center came in and scored 2 goals in the last 10 to win 4-3 and he shutdown our offense almost single handedly. Cross crease pass? Nope, he has that covered! Puck on net for possible rebound? Nope, before it even hits the goalie the CPU is making a beeline for where it will rebound and WILL get it. Shot from the point? Nope, CPU will just intercept it at 100mph. Try to score on a breakaway? Nope, their stick can go between your legs and poke the puck away, and they're faster.

I don't wanna play with or against CPU. They ruin this game. Their abilities are sooo much different from any human. They do things we can't. They cover for poor gameplay by the opposing team. They are so broken in WOC. I won't speak on HUT but I feel EA should be able to make HUT CPU different from WOC CPU. If NOTHING else make their speed and other stats a LOT lower. Then their super abilities won't be QUITE as broken.

As it stands now, my team won't pass if we're near a cpu because it will definitely be picked. If you're near a cpu and a loose puck we often just drop back into d because he will win. If there's a d or c at center we won't even attempt a rebound goal. We are really just limited to throwing pucks on net the second we get into the zone and hoping one trickles in because if you don't get it off that CPU is likely to end up with it before long. I wouldn't be so mad if I didn't consider myself a decent player but when I face most humans I routinely get wins in nearly any mode. Yet in nearly any mode in WOC CPU is more of a concern than most humans.

Meh, I would assume it is the "It wouldn't be fair to those that don't quit, so we can't dumb down the AI to much to punish players that do stick around" speech.

I played a dropin game about 5 or 6 days ago where it was just amazing. Every single one of us played as we should. D was in position and in fact, I could even rely on my D partner because he was smart and played with me instead of just running around everywhere like a noob. If one of us D men pinched, a forward covered for us. On the other team we noticed in the intro that a player had something like 1200 points. Funny thing is, beginning of the third we were up 2-1. That 1200 point guy quit the game because I would assume he wasn't racking the points to his liking and padding those stats. All he was doing mostly was twirling in the corner to pull either myself or my D partner into the corner. It just wasn't happening.

People quit for all kinds of reasons but sadly, the AI is most times a better replacement and they seem to abide by different rules. They should not be bailing out teams in any way whatsoever.
    Post edited by WainGretSki on
  • EA_Blueberry
    4769 posts EA Community Manager
    edited January 2020
    I get where you're all coming from where a team short of human players seem to have an advantage in winning because of how great the AI is and how if AI was dumbed down it would do the following:
    • Encourage players to stay in games because the AI won't be able to guarantee a win
    • Reward the other team for staying in a game with human players

This is the question on my mind. Do you really want to sacrifice potential stale gameplay over time to earn a win? At some point, you might get bored because it's not much of a challenge anymore or there will be criticism from another crowd how the AI isn't smart enough so why bother playing the mode when people quit?

I get a sense there is a belief that by lowering the AI's intelligence it will lead to human players not leaving games as much which is not guaranteed. It could be the opposite where players decide not to play the mode anymore because it's not challenging enough.
  • I get where you're all coming from where a team short of human players seem to have an advantage in winning because of how great the AI is and how if AI was dumbed down it would do the following:
    • Encourage players to stay in games because the AI won't be able to guarantee a win

This is the question on my mind. Do you really want to sacrifice potential stale gameplay over time to earn a win? At some point, you might get bored because it's not much of a challenge anymore or there will be criticism from another crowd how the AI isn't smart enough so why bother playing the mode when people quit?

I get a sense there is a belief that by lowering the AI's intelligence it will lead to human players not leaving games as much which is not guaranteed. It could be the opposite where players decide not to play the mode anymore because it's not challenging enough.

Good points, but I think maybe finding a middle ground would be a good solution. In HUT, the AI is pretty dumbed down in the defensive zone.

In all honesty, it isn't that fun to be in a mode where there is no AI in a 6s game and next thing you know you are playing against 3 AI players and woops, all of a sudden your game is going south and the AI starts to carry the other team. It should not be rewarding to have the other players bail out. They should be in the game, but not influence it to the point where they take over. It is 100x worse when an AI goalie comes in and there is a human goalie on the other side. He simply cannot compete with the AI goalie and it can become incredibly lop-sided in a very short time.
  • EA_Blueberry
    @WainGretSki

Completely agree with you on how it doesn't seem fair that a team with 3 AI players should get an advantage. It's a tricky situation because you don't want the game to feel too easy for some people or have it result in where one team loses 2 players and will feel like it's all over so everyone on that team just disconnects. Then it might be boring to play out the rest of the game and if that is a consistent behavior it could reduce the overall enjoyment of spending time in that mode.

AI is where a lot of forum users seem to be defaulting to which is not a bad stance, but there are all sorts of other levers the team can use to encourage users to stay in those games. For example, if players quit their games in Apex Legends they get a cool-down timer. That is just one example of other ways to encourage users to stay in the game rather than making changes to AI. Ranking points/CR could be adjusted. Perhaps implement longterm rewards for those that don't leave games?

This is always a great topic because I know it's a pain point for a lot of you out there in the community. This is where we can get creative and talk about potential solutions.
  • @WainGretSki

Completely agree with you on how it doesn't seem fair that a team with 3 AI players should get an advantage. It's a tricky situation because you don't want the game to feel too easy for some people or have it result in where one team loses 2 players and will feel like it's all over so everyone on that team just disconnects. Then it might be boring to play out the rest of the game and if that is a consistent behavior it could reduce the overall enjoyment of spending time in that mode.

AI is where a lot of forum users seem to be defaulting to which is not a bad stance, but there are all sorts of other levers the team can use to encourage users to stay in those games. For example, if players quit their games in Apex Legends they get a cool-down timer. That is just one example of other ways to encourage users to stay in the game rather than making changes to AI. Ranking points/CR could be adjusted. Perhaps implement longterm rewards for those that don't leave games?

This is always a great topic because I know it's a pain point for a lot of you out there in the community. This is where we can get creative and talk about potential solutions.

Yea I realize it is a very hard balance to acquire. As you say, too weak, that team will quit. Too strong? The other team will quit.

I would be completely down with having a cool down period. Sadly though, I do not think it would be wise at this point in time. What if my goalie decides to run out of his crease every chance he gets? What if a player on my team refuses to play his position? What if a player is always laying on the ice forcing constant offsides? These are just some examples of why I would quit a game.

So either I suffer a cool down period, or I waste my time in a completely wasted and horrendous game because of a troll(s). But if a report system would exist, or ways for EA to monitor games to remove the troll behaviour, I would be completely down with a cool down effect. In any case, this is mostly a dropin scenario. I have yet to see clubs quitting consistently. I have seen a few that quit, like when they are down by 5 or 6 goals and barely halfway through the game. But it is rare. There does seem to be a form of respect, or etiquette in club games.
  • EA_Blueberry

What if my goalie decides to run out of his crease every chance he gets? What if a player on my team refuses to play his position? What if a player is always laying on the ice forcing constant offsides? These are just some examples of why I would quit a game.

So either I suffer a cool down period, or I waste my time in a completely wasted and horrendous game because of a troll(s). But if a report system would exist, or ways for EA to monitor games to remove the troll behaviour, I would be completely down with a cool down effect. In any case, this is mostly a dropin scenario. I have yet to see clubs quitting consistently. I have seen a few that quit, like when they are down by 5 or 6 goals and barely halfway through the game. But it is rare. There does seem to be a form of respect, or etiquette in club games.

I'm not sure if you can grant better incentives for keeping a reputation rating above a certain level because you would be relying on others for your rewards which can be abused by trolls. Maybe if certain players were reported for abuse and kicked>put on a cool-down, those that played in a match receive some type of reward/rank adjustment for making the game mode more enjoyable?

• What if my goalie decides to run out of his crease every chance he gets? What if a player on my team refuses to play his position? What if a player is always laying on the ice forcing constant offsides? These are just some examples of why I would quit a game.

I'm not sure if you can grant better incentives for keeping a reputation rating above a certain level because you would be relying on others for your rewards which can be abused by trolls. Maybe if certain players were reported for abuse and kicked>put on a cool-down, those that played in a match receive some type of reward/rank adjustment for making the game mode more enjoyable?

Honestly, and this is just for me, I care not about rank or CR. All I really care about is the gameplay and the overall experience while I play.

If there were some way to report players and it could be verified/certified by EA, and then say ban a player for 30 minutes on a first offense and have it scale-able, I would think that player would suddenly realize "party time" is over and EA is on their case. It would most likely scare a few trolls after just one offense. Of course some out there probably could care less, but they would just get harsher and harsher punishments which would lead to eventually a better overall experience for those that play as they should.

There are a few players that I see every single year since NHL 14. Every single time I see them, they are grieving. It's as if they buy the game with the sole purpose of destroying other people's fun. Like, really? Life that boring for you to do that year in and year out?
  • rsandersr47
    186 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Some really good ideas here!

I think you both bring up some good points. I think it would be great to add a cool down period. But just as Wain says we need to consider trolls. I think we need a report button, if 2-3 people all suggest a player in trolling, that player is kicked from the game and in a cool down period.

I would rather the game feel "boring" when their team quits rather than frustrated by super AI. A few incentives for staying in? Less CR hit (maybe no hit if your team all quits so people will want to stick it out)

I think a GREAT addition to this game would be a player profile. From any lobby I could view a player profile it would consist of his/her quit%, troll%, teammate grade, stats, CR, club/free agent, they could include their preferred strategy, maybe their play availability time (if they want) and any other useful information, personally I would like to add BAP to WoC and have those stats and team added to the profile as well but that's another topic. I think having all of these things would 1. Lead to less people playing with trolls 2. Make people learn the game and positioning because people won't want to play with a defenseman that is playing forward for 90% of the game, but MOSTLY make club play the way to go. I only play drops because I can never find a team to play in club (unless it's 2 guys) imagine if those 2 guys had tools and/or incentives to find another team or a couple teams with 2 guys to form a club! 3. This would in turn create less need for CPU balancing.

Joe NHL. 525 CR (LH shot)
    Club (free agent) (searching!)
    Played positions RD 80% RW %20
    W-l-t
    Win % 63%
    Quit % 57%
    Troll % 8%
    Coach grade C+ (off A, def D, team D)
    Teammate grade C

- gives odd man rush
    - not in position
    - multiple goals!
    - taking multiple penalties

Drafted by Detroit Red Wings 1st ovr
    W-l-t
    Goals
    Assists
    Coach grade C+ (off B, def D, team C)
    Awards:

Look how much I could get from this! (Also add a button to ask to join club!) Looking at this I can tell he is someone who cheats up a lot in the offensive zone, I can tell that he's not TRYING to troll or be bad but he doesn't know how to position well despite having decent scoring abilities. I can also tell that when he goes down in points he will definitely quit. He is someone I would not want to play with but if it's only 1 like him on my team I can get through it. The teammate grade is the grade given by your teamates after the game (a players grade can only be taken into account once, but their grade can change if they grade them again, this would keep from friends boosting their grades) as you can see he has a "C" that likely means that he helped win a few games and his teamates likely graded him with A+ he also quit a lot and played out of position so many players likely have him C-F.

Now, having a free agent portal where we can search for players by different criteria would be the next step. Perhaps I make a club with 2 friends and we need a w, d, g. I can now search for players that primarily play one of those positions with 5-600 cr, who has under 5% quit and search for players looking for a club. To make this even BETTER add a team practice facility where we can play with up to 12 players anyone can choose any side we could also just run with 6 players vs goalie. This would allow teams to work on stuff and also find good fits for their club.

Post edited by rsandersr47 on
  • I get where you're all coming from where a team short of human players seem to have an advantage in winning because of how great the AI is and how if AI was dumbed down it would do the following:

i think the point is that WHEN people leave gamesb its not fair for ai to take over that VASTLY outplays the human it replaced and even takes over games. You guys say people dont know how to defend the ai well enough but thats the point...if a player quits his team shouldnt get an ai that can take over the game. Lets face it people will always quit, but its frustrating when the ai that replaces the. Can single handedly win their team the game.
  • @WainGretSki

What about gimping the ai offensive ratings so they dont take over the scoring, but leave their defensive ratings alone so theyre still competent defensively? They can still be useful offensively but its then up to the players to learn to use them right.
  • Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    @WainGretSki

What about gimping the ai offensive ratings so they dont take over the scoring, but leave their defensive ratings alone so theyre still competent defensively? They can still be useful offensively but its then up to the players to learn to use them right.

Not a bad idea right here.
  • Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    @WainGretSki

What about gimping the ai offensive ratings so they dont take over the scoring, but leave their defensive ratings alone so theyre still competent defensively? They can still be useful offeright. but its then up to the players to learn to use them right.

Thanks Wain. I have no problems with the ai playing defense but their offensive abilities usually far outweigh those of the user who left. Make the human player do the work to win.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    @WainGretSki

What about gimping the ai offensive ratings so they dont take over the scoring, but leave their defensive ratings alone so theyre still competent defensively? They can still be useful offeright. but its then up to the players to learn to use them right.

Thanks Wain. I have no problems with the ai playing defense but their offensive abilities usually far outweigh those of the user who left. Make the human player do the work to win.

Agreed. Gimping the AI forwards a little bit could very well work and is very acceptable for me. Bear in mind though, I have played alot of games as goalie over the years and the AI is actually very easy to stop 98% of the time on break-aways. They hardly ever deke and usually elect for the shot. Come out a bit and take away the angle and they are not that effective. Where they shine is usually shoveling the garbage near the crease and rarely missing their shot in that scenario.

The only thing that bothers me about your suggestion is that I didn't think of it LOL.