EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

image
Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Make the game play the same for both teams

Prev13
rabid55wolverine
214 posts Member
edited February 12
Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

Replies

  • EA_Aljo
    1468 posts EA Community Manager
    Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

    The game already plays the same for both sides. The skill of the humans holding the controllers, the overalls of the players on the ice and the strategies you use are what determines the outcome of games.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

    The game already plays the same for both sides. The skill of the humans holding the controllers, the overalls of the players on the ice and the strategies you use are what determines the outcome of games.

    Not necessarily.

    I strictly play offline, and I can say that without a doubt that sometimes the CPU does things that defy the laws of physics that govern the game.

    From “jiggle” skating, stopping on a dime on a rush, rocket no look passing, amazingly accurate pokes and stick lifts, bouncing off of checks, having absolutely no hesitation time and suction cup board play, to pivoting at twice your speed on certain occasions, and knocking down anything within 10 feet of them, they tend to have the upper hand sometimes.
  • rabid55wolverine
    214 posts Member
    edited February 13
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

    The game already plays the same for both sides. The skill of the humans holding the controllers, the overalls of the players on the ice and the strategies you use are what determines the outcome of games.

    If that's the company line you have to spew out, I feel sorry for you. The game does NOT play the same for both teams. So try this that I did...

    I used the goalie, player locked. My ai players skated around like they had no idea what they were doing. The guy vs me, he had no idea what he was doing and was a complete tool with the controller yet EVERY time the puck was in a battle with my AIs, they walked away from it. Another game, playing vs a friend, player locked in a friendly HUT match, we had the EXACT same line up, EXACT same goalies, EXACT same strategies and both player locked as goalie. In this game, my AI were outstanding, winning almost every battle while his skated around like it didn't have a clue. This is so typical in every game.

    This game isn't fun, this game is a mess. Even when I win in the game, I have to fight my players to try to get the puck in the zone because my guys feel the need to get over the blue line before I do. If I do get a good chance in front, my idiotic forwards who are battling for position (lol, no they aren't, they just stand there taking up space) block at least 30% of the shots from the point. The AI in this game is awful and for people to come on here linked with this company saying that it's always the same and blame the user is laughable and no wonder this game hasn't and will never improve.
  • EA_Aljo
    1468 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

    The game already plays the same for both sides. The skill of the humans holding the controllers, the overalls of the players on the ice and the strategies you use are what determines the outcome of games.

    If that's the company line you have to spew out, I feel sorry for you. The game does NOT play the same for both teams. So try this that I did...

    I used the goalie, player locked. My ai players skated around like they had no idea what they were doing. The guy vs me, he had no idea what he was doing and was a complete tool with the controller yet EVERY time the puck was in a battle with my AIs, they walked away from it. Another game, playing vs a friend, player locked in a friendly HUT match, we had the EXACT same line up, EXACT same goalies, EXACT same strategies and both player locked as goalie. In this game, my AI were outstanding, winning almost every battle while his skated around like it didn't have a clue. This is so typical in every game.

    This game isn't fun, this game is a mess. Even when I win in the game, I have to fight my players to try to get the puck in the zone because my guys feel the need to get over the blue line before I do. If I do get a good chance in front, my idiotic forwards who are battling for position (lol, no they aren't, they just stand there taking up space) block at least 30% of the shots from the point. The AI in this game is awful and for people to come on here linked with this company saying that it's always the same and blame the user is laughable and no wonder this game hasn't and will never improve.

    There are a lot of variables that go into how they play. Strategies play a very big role as well as how the human is controlling their team. Even position locked, it's going to make a difference. Position locking as the goalie takes that human interaction way down of course so that's a better test, but nothing is in place to make one team perform better than the other by some kind of artificial means of momentum, ice tilt, DDA, etc. Nothing whatsoever.

    Hockey is an incredibly dynamic game. No 2 games are going to be the same. In back to back games in the real world, you could see vastly different outcomes. If you're position locking as the goalie and expecting every game to play out the same, that would be highly unrealistic. When you're not position locking, so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing.

    I get that the game is behaving for you how you say. Why is it that there are so many others that can get their shots through from the points? Why are they able to break into their offensive zone without forwards going offside? It's because of how they play. Yes, I'm aware AI players will go offside at times or get stuck offside. I see that too, but in my play, the amount of times it happens is far less than you're making it out to be. That's going to be due to how I play. I'm also very conscious of my AI player's positioning as well as opposing players. I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry. Which is something that probably saves me a lot of those offside occurrences. I do that since many teams use the 1-4 and play the trap. It separates defenders and leaves a hole to skate through.

    You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I definitely respect that, but there's no towing of the company line here. I play this game a ton. I also look at it from both sides. As a fan and as someone that has insight into how it works. We don't expect everyone to like this game. We have, however, listened to constructive feedback from the community and made changes based on it. That will continue to happen as well.
  • EA_Aljo
    1468 posts EA Community Manager
    Efbomb wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

    The game already plays the same for both sides. The skill of the humans holding the controllers, the overalls of the players on the ice and the strategies you use are what determines the outcome of games.

    Not necessarily.

    I strictly play offline, and I can say that without a doubt that sometimes the CPU does things that defy the laws of physics that govern the game.

    From “jiggle” skating, stopping on a dime on a rush, rocket no look passing, amazingly accurate pokes and stick lifts, bouncing off of checks, having absolutely no hesitation time and suction cup board play, to pivoting at twice your speed on certain occasions, and knocking down anything within 10 feet of them, they tend to have the upper hand sometimes.

    I was talking about online play where you're controlling the whole team. CPU players obviously play differently than human players. They aren't so dependent on the personal reaction time and decisions that a human makes. They're computers and tend to be more precise with their movements as well as their reaction times.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

    The game already plays the same for both sides. The skill of the humans holding the controllers, the overalls of the players on the ice and the strategies you use are what determines the outcome of games.

    If that's the company line you have to spew out, I feel sorry for you. The game does NOT play the same for both teams. So try this that I did...

    I used the goalie, player locked. My ai players skated around like they had no idea what they were doing. The guy vs me, he had no idea what he was doing and was a complete tool with the controller yet EVERY time the puck was in a battle with my AIs, they walked away from it. Another game, playing vs a friend, player locked in a friendly HUT match, we had the EXACT same line up, EXACT same goalies, EXACT same strategies and both player locked as goalie. In this game, my AI were outstanding, winning almost every battle while his skated around like it didn't have a clue. This is so typical in every game.

    This game isn't fun, this game is a mess. Even when I win in the game, I have to fight my players to try to get the puck in the zone because my guys feel the need to get over the blue line before I do. If I do get a good chance in front, my idiotic forwards who are battling for position (lol, no they aren't, they just stand there taking up space) block at least 30% of the shots from the point. The AI in this game is awful and for people to come on here linked with this company saying that it's always the same and blame the user is laughable and no wonder this game hasn't and will never improve.

    There are a lot of variables that go into how they play. Strategies play a very big role as well as how the human is controlling their team. Even position locked, it's going to make a difference. Position locking as the goalie takes that human interaction way down of course so that's a better test, but nothing is in place to make one team perform better than the other by some kind of artificial means of momentum, ice tilt, DDA, etc. Nothing whatsoever.

    Hockey is an incredibly dynamic game. No 2 games are going to be the same. In back to back games in the real world, you could see vastly different outcomes. If you're position locking as the goalie and expecting every game to play out the same, that would be highly unrealistic. When you're not position locking, so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing.

    I get that the game is behaving for you how you say. Why is it that there are so many others that can get their shots through from the points? Why are they able to break into their offensive zone without forwards going offside? It's because of how they play. Yes, I'm aware AI players will go offside at times or get stuck offside. I see that too, but in my play, the amount of times it happens is far less than you're making it out to be. That's going to be due to how I play. I'm also very conscious of my AI player's positioning as well as opposing players. I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry. Which is something that probably saves me a lot of those offside occurrences. I do that since many teams use the 1-4 and play the trap. It separates defenders and leaves a hole to skate through.

    You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I definitely respect that, but there's no towing of the company line here. I play this game a ton. I also look at it from both sides. As a fan and as someone that has insight into how it works. We don't expect everyone to like this game. We have, however, listened to constructive feedback from the community and made changes based on it. That will continue to happen as well.

    What he is basically trying to say is, it never ever happens that the AI on both teams plays equally. It simply just never happens. Every single game one team has great AI while the other simply does not. Literally, every single game. One team will have dominant AI while the other team's AI seems to always be behind the play and has trouble following the puck.

    To make one thing clear, I will state right here and now, again, that I do not believe in ice-tilt or any momentum engine. But there is absolutely something that is making the AI better on one of the 2 teams. I suspect connection or some type of lag makes the AI play less than desirable for one of the players. Maybe it is server related, I don't know. But to blatantly say the AI plays the same for both teams all the time is simply false. While the intent is programmed that way, the result simply is not. It is incredibly obvious who has the better AI in any given game. Strangely enough when your AI struggles, so do you. Your controlled player may struggle a bit on puck pickups. His aim is not the best when you decide to shoot. Unless you lay an absolutely perfect body check, you will not lay a player out. Your pokecheck aim is not as good as usual and often times get a couple of tripping penalties where normally you wouldn't. Your goalie will play like an AHL rookie struggling with personal issues.

    There are games where your AI can simply do no wrong. They are strong and aggressive on the puck. They seem to be open just when the time is right for a one-timer. Their passes are crisp and precise. The goalie is standing on his head making 7 saves-of-the-year in a single game while the other goalie flubs a wrister from 45 feet out. I see it all the time in EASHL. You can consistently snipe goals right off the posts. Some games I get the stellar AI, other games I get the drool cup holding AI. It seems totally random and it just shouldn't happen, ever. There is simply too much variation between both teams for every game.

    I am sorry to say this, but after having played somewhere in the upwards of 15 000 online games from NHL 14 to 20 I have seen it way more times than I could ever count and will argue till my last breath that the AI is absolutely not equal for both teams. Ever. Some games the gap is better between the AI, but most games it is obvious who has the better AI.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

    The game already plays the same for both sides. The skill of the humans holding the controllers, the overalls of the players on the ice and the strategies you use are what determines the outcome of games.

    If that's the company line you have to spew out, I feel sorry for you. The game does NOT play the same for both teams. So try this that I did...

    I used the goalie, player locked. My ai players skated around like they had no idea what they were doing. The guy vs me, he had no idea what he was doing and was a complete tool with the controller yet EVERY time the puck was in a battle with my AIs, they walked away from it. Another game, playing vs a friend, player locked in a friendly HUT match, we had the EXACT same line up, EXACT same goalies, EXACT same strategies and both player locked as goalie. In this game, my AI were outstanding, winning almost every battle while his skated around like it didn't have a clue. This is so typical in every game.

    This game isn't fun, this game is a mess. Even when I win in the game, I have to fight my players to try to get the puck in the zone because my guys feel the need to get over the blue line before I do. If I do get a good chance in front, my idiotic forwards who are battling for position (lol, no they aren't, they just stand there taking up space) block at least 30% of the shots from the point. The AI in this game is awful and for people to come on here linked with this company saying that it's always the same and blame the user is laughable and no wonder this game hasn't and will never improve.

    There are a lot of variables that go into how they play. Strategies play a very big role as well as how the human is controlling their team. Even position locked, it's going to make a difference. Position locking as the goalie takes that human interaction way down of course so that's a better test, but nothing is in place to make one team perform better than the other by some kind of artificial means of momentum, ice tilt, DDA, etc. Nothing whatsoever.

    Hockey is an incredibly dynamic game. No 2 games are going to be the same. In back to back games in the real world, you could see vastly different outcomes. If you're position locking as the goalie and expecting every game to play out the same, that would be highly unrealistic. When you're not position locking, so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing.

    I get that the game is behaving for you how you say. Why is it that there are so many others that can get their shots through from the points? Why are they able to break into their offensive zone without forwards going offside? It's because of how they play. Yes, I'm aware AI players will go offside at times or get stuck offside. I see that too, but in my play, the amount of times it happens is far less than you're making it out to be. That's going to be due to how I play. I'm also very conscious of my AI player's positioning as well as opposing players. I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry. Which is something that probably saves me a lot of those offside occurrences. I do that since many teams use the 1-4 and play the trap. It separates defenders and leaves a hole to skate through.

    You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I definitely respect that, but there's no towing of the company line here. I play this game a ton. I also look at it from both sides. As a fan and as someone that has insight into how it works. We don't expect everyone to like this game. We have, however, listened to constructive feedback from the community and made changes based on it. That will continue to happen as well.

    Let's address each bold statement individualy, 1st I thought Intimidation/Momentum was already confirmed being in the game.

    Number 2, The AI trying to compensate for what they believe is the user being out of position is generally what causes atrocious AI positioning. Like if you intercept a pass and get a breakaway from it but you are rushing with a defenseman the wingers will not stay in the rush and set up for a one timer. Instead they drop back to compensate for what they think is the user taking a player way out of position. When in reality what we see is a dumb computer player ruining a perfectly good 2on1. I also see this happen alot when both D are together skating back into your own zone and the user steps up with one. The other AI Dman registers this as the user being out of position, especially when you follow the puck carrier to the opposite side, and instead of covering their man and blocking cross crease passes the AI reacts like it's alone and instead of covering the man, just tries to step up, most times into nothing. But what we see in reality is a single puck carrier rushing alone on a 1on2, so both D are back and only 1 opposing player rushing, so as the user you step up with one to prevent a clean shot and just man up on them because you should have an advantage, that is until the AI abandons their position, ignores the players trailing the play and steps up into the high slot for no reason and leaves the cross crease open for the trailing winger to set up, after a few spins and backskates it usually results in a goal against from what started as a 1on2. So my point is that as it is now as you said "so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing." That reactive style that governs computer behavior causes alot of dumb computer plays .

    Moving to #3, so pretty much puck ragging. It's not often an NHL team will be so picky about zone entry that they will get through the neutral zone and just as they approach the blue line decide they don't like the look of this and pass backwards, it's stupid and not realistic at all to keep passing backwards trying to enter the zone by skating in. You say " I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry." But i guess that is how EA hockey has to be played, because if you tried to do what almost every real hockey team would do if they were rushing and didn't like the look, they would dump the puck and chase it down in the corners, but in EA world 90% of the time the dump would just go over the glass and be the same as an offsides anyway. So puck ragging and doubling back until a lane opens is the meta.

    And finally #4, it's not really an opinion, its a fact that the great majority of people who play this game at some point feel as if its an uphill battle with some sort handicap against them. All of them report times where no matter how good they are playing, say 40+ shots and 10+ TOA, they hit several posts, have difficulty picking up loose pucks in open space, players unnecessarily bobble passes, and are noticeably slower than previous games. Meanwhile the other team has 4 goals on just 5 shots and all of them generally have a story behind them and werent clean goals. So that part of the equation is not opinion, that is actually happening weither or not it's a programmed thing into thing the game is left to opinion sure, but its a cold hard fact the great majority of your customers are experiencing the same symptoms.

  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    ...

    There are a lot of variables that go into how they play. Strategies play a very big role as well as how the human is controlling their team. Even position locked, it's going to make a difference. Position locking as the goalie takes that human interaction way down of course so that's a better test, but nothing is in place to make one team perform better than the other by some kind of artificial means of momentum, ice tilt, DDA, etc. Nothing whatsoever.

    Hockey is an incredibly dynamic game. No 2 games are going to be the same. In back to back games in the real world, you could see vastly different outcomes. If you're position locking as the goalie and expecting every game to play out the same, that would be highly unrealistic. When you're not position locking, so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing.

    I get that the game is behaving for you how you say. Why is it that there are so many others that can get their shots through from the points? Why are they able to break into their offensive zone without forwards going offside? It's because of how they play. Yes, I'm aware AI players will go offside at times or get stuck offside. I see that too, but in my play, the amount of times it happens is far less than you're making it out to be. That's going to be due to how I play. I'm also very conscious of my AI player's positioning as well as opposing players. I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry. Which is something that probably saves me a lot of those offside occurrences. I do that since many teams use the 1-4 and play the trap. It separates defenders and leaves a hole to skate through.

    You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I definitely respect that, but there's no towing of the company line here. I play this game a ton. I also look at it from both sides. As a fan and as someone that has insight into how it works. We don't expect everyone to like this game. We have, however, listened to constructive feedback from the community and made changes based on it. That will continue to happen as well.

    Since I am also a huge position lock player, let me chime in here. I do not believe the game plays the same for both sides especially when position locked. As I've stated countless times in other posts, one example is the penalties. Playing position lock, my team seems to commit far more penalties than the "CPU" opponent. In summary, 5 games played was approximately 23+ PP for the CPU opponent and maybe 6-9 for my "CPU" team. There is an issue.

    "Hockey is an incredibly dynamic game. No 2 games are going to be the same. In back to back games in the real world, you could see vastly different outcomes."
    Not in this game. I see scripted play each game. I can call out when something will happen in the game. I did this twice in the last game I played. Hockey is dynamic, but this game is far from that. Each game I will see the incredible pin-point passing by the CPU, the amazing comeback goal in the last few minutes, the improbable angle shots and goals by the CPU team to tie it up. Reading other posts and their scores and my experience I'm seeing 3-2, 2-1, 4-3, 5-4....see a pattern? Every game is close. Where are the 3-0, 5-0, 5-2, 4-1 games like I see in the NHL? Yes, they do happen in the NHL, but not here. The game feels "forced".

    Offsides...my players have this uncanny "want' to skate past the blue line and keep skating even though they are offsides. I rarely see offsides called on the CPU team. And what happened to the offsides "logic" you implemented last year or a few years ago?? This was one of your marketing plows where you showed your AI teammate touching up or holding the line waiting for the puck to cross first. Did you forget to put that back in the game??

    AI Positioning is a joke. I'll play position locked as RD and the LD likes to come over and talk to me or whatever he is doing, but he is out of position. The Center likes to hang close to the blue line.

    "So much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing." Is definitely not accurate just based on the information I gave you above. Read the other posts about the AI "logic" and "positioning".

    You mentioned you know the ins and outs. Okay, again, what are your sliders set at to create a realistic "balanced" game based on player ratings? Settings that stop you from seeing what 90% of this community gripes about in their game? Or is that not possible?

    I lost count how many times I've asked this question over the years and it always goes unanswered. Since you know the ins / outs, it would be good for us to know more about the sliders and what they affect....so we can make the game play correctly (if it is slider based). Right? Too much mystery in this game.

    We were told the "poise" slider has no affect in-game. Great. So what other attributes don't affect in-game? Would be nice to have better descriptions of how the player ratings / sliders affect the game. Then, maybe we would be able to drop the "ice tilt" theory. After all, there is a setting in Madden 20 and FIFA 20 to even the playing field, so logic would say why wouldn't it be in this game. Mystery continues.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

    The game already plays the same for both sides. The skill of the humans holding the controllers, the overalls of the players on the ice and the strategies you use are what determines the outcome of games.

    If that's the company line you have to spew out, I feel sorry for you. The game does NOT play the same for both teams. So try this that I did...

    I used the goalie, player locked. My ai players skated around like they had no idea what they were doing. The guy vs me, he had no idea what he was doing and was a complete tool with the controller yet EVERY time the puck was in a battle with my AIs, they walked away from it. Another game, playing vs a friend, player locked in a friendly HUT match, we had the EXACT same line up, EXACT same goalies, EXACT same strategies and both player locked as goalie. In this game, my AI were outstanding, winning almost every battle while his skated around like it didn't have a clue. This is so typical in every game.

    This game isn't fun, this game is a mess. Even when I win in the game, I have to fight my players to try to get the puck in the zone because my guys feel the need to get over the blue line before I do. If I do get a good chance in front, my idiotic forwards who are battling for position (lol, no they aren't, they just stand there taking up space) block at least 30% of the shots from the point. The AI in this game is awful and for people to come on here linked with this company saying that it's always the same and blame the user is laughable and no wonder this game hasn't and will never improve.

    There are a lot of variables that go into how they play. Strategies play a very big role as well as how the human is controlling their team. Even position locked, it's going to make a difference. Position locking as the goalie takes that human interaction way down of course so that's a better test, but nothing is in place to make one team perform better than the other by some kind of artificial means of momentum, ice tilt, DDA, etc. Nothing whatsoever.

    Hockey is an incredibly dynamic game. No 2 games are going to be the same. In back to back games in the real world, you could see vastly different outcomes. If you're position locking as the goalie and expecting every game to play out the same, that would be highly unrealistic. When you're not position locking, so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing.

    I get that the game is behaving for you how you say. Why is it that there are so many others that can get their shots through from the points? Why are they able to break into their offensive zone without forwards going offside? It's because of how they play. Yes, I'm aware AI players will go offside at times or get stuck offside. I see that too, but in my play, the amount of times it happens is far less than you're making it out to be. That's going to be due to how I play. I'm also very conscious of my AI player's positioning as well as opposing players. I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry. Which is something that probably saves me a lot of those offside occurrences. I do that since many teams use the 1-4 and play the trap. It separates defenders and leaves a hole to skate through.

    You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I definitely respect that, but there's no towing of the company line here. I play this game a ton. I also look at it from both sides. As a fan and as someone that has insight into how it works. We don't expect everyone to like this game. We have, however, listened to constructive feedback from the community and made changes based on it. That will continue to happen as well.

    Let's address each bold statement individualy, 1st I thought Intimidation/Momentum was already confirmed being in the game.

    Number 2, The AI trying to compensate for what they believe is the user being out of position is generally what causes atrocious AI positioning. Like if you intercept a pass and get a breakaway from it but you are rushing with a defenseman the wingers will not stay in the rush and set up for a one timer. Instead they drop back to compensate for what they think is the user taking a player way out of position. When in reality what we see is a dumb computer player ruining a perfectly good 2on1. I also see this happen alot when both D are together skating back into your own zone and the user steps up with one. The other AI Dman registers this as the user being out of position, especially when you follow the puck carrier to the opposite side, and instead of covering their man and blocking cross crease passes the AI reacts like it's alone and instead of covering the man, just tries to step up, most times into nothing. But what we see in reality is a single puck carrier rushing alone on a 1on2, so both D are back and only 1 opposing player rushing, so as the user you step up with one to prevent a clean shot and just man up on them because you should have an advantage, that is until the AI abandons their position, ignores the players trailing the play and steps up into the high slot for no reason and leaves the cross crease open for the trailing winger to set up, after a few spins and backskates it usually results in a goal against from what started as a 1on2. So my point is that as it is now as you said "so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing." That reactive style that governs computer behavior causes alot of dumb computer plays .

    Moving to #3, so pretty much puck ragging. It's not often an NHL team will be so picky about zone entry that they will get through the neutral zone and just as they approach the blue line decide they don't like the look of this and pass backwards, it's stupid and not realistic at all to keep passing backwards trying to enter the zone by skating in. You say " I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry." But i guess that is how EA hockey has to be played, because if you tried to do what almost every real hockey team would do if they were rushing and didn't like the look, they would dump the puck and chase it down in the corners, but in EA world 90% of the time the dump would just go over the glass and be the same as an offsides anyway. So puck ragging and doubling back until a lane opens is the meta.

    And finally #4, it's not really an opinion, its a fact that the great majority of people who play this game at some point feel as if its an uphill battle with some sort handicap against them. All of them report times where no matter how good they are playing, say 40+ shots and 10+ TOA, they hit several posts, have difficulty picking up loose pucks in open space, players unnecessarily bobble passes, and are noticeably slower than previous games. Meanwhile the other team has 4 goals on just 5 shots and all of them generally have a story behind them and werent clean goals. So that part of the equation is not opinion, that is actually happening weither or not it's a programmed thing into thing the game is left to opinion sure, but its a cold hard fact the great majority of your customers are experiencing the same symptoms.

    I agree with everything except point #3. You are very wrong on that point.

    If you pass back to reset your breakout, it is not even close to "puck ragging" and secondly, many teams will turn back near the blue line if they don't like what they see and reset their attack. I see it all the time.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

    The game already plays the same for both sides. The skill of the humans holding the controllers, the overalls of the players on the ice and the strategies you use are what determines the outcome of games.

    If that's the company line you have to spew out, I feel sorry for you. The game does NOT play the same for both teams. So try this that I did...

    I used the goalie, player locked. My ai players skated around like they had no idea what they were doing. The guy vs me, he had no idea what he was doing and was a complete tool with the controller yet EVERY time the puck was in a battle with my AIs, they walked away from it. Another game, playing vs a friend, player locked in a friendly HUT match, we had the EXACT same line up, EXACT same goalies, EXACT same strategies and both player locked as goalie. In this game, my AI were outstanding, winning almost every battle while his skated around like it didn't have a clue. This is so typical in every game.

    This game isn't fun, this game is a mess. Even when I win in the game, I have to fight my players to try to get the puck in the zone because my guys feel the need to get over the blue line before I do. If I do get a good chance in front, my idiotic forwards who are battling for position (lol, no they aren't, they just stand there taking up space) block at least 30% of the shots from the point. The AI in this game is awful and for people to come on here linked with this company saying that it's always the same and blame the user is laughable and no wonder this game hasn't and will never improve.

    There are a lot of variables that go into how they play. Strategies play a very big role as well as how the human is controlling their team. Even position locked, it's going to make a difference. Position locking as the goalie takes that human interaction way down of course so that's a better test, but nothing is in place to make one team perform better than the other by some kind of artificial means of momentum, ice tilt, DDA, etc. Nothing whatsoever.

    Hockey is an incredibly dynamic game. No 2 games are going to be the same. In back to back games in the real world, you could see vastly different outcomes. If you're position locking as the goalie and expecting every game to play out the same, that would be highly unrealistic. When you're not position locking, so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing.

    I get that the game is behaving for you how you say. Why is it that there are so many others that can get their shots through from the points? Why are they able to break into their offensive zone without forwards going offside? It's because of how they play. Yes, I'm aware AI players will go offside at times or get stuck offside. I see that too, but in my play, the amount of times it happens is far less than you're making it out to be. That's going to be due to how I play. I'm also very conscious of my AI player's positioning as well as opposing players. I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry. Which is something that probably saves me a lot of those offside occurrences. I do that since many teams use the 1-4 and play the trap. It separates defenders and leaves a hole to skate through.

    You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I definitely respect that, but there's no towing of the company line here. I play this game a ton. I also look at it from both sides. As a fan and as someone that has insight into how it works. We don't expect everyone to like this game. We have, however, listened to constructive feedback from the community and made changes based on it. That will continue to happen as well.

    Let's address each bold statement individualy, 1st I thought Intimidation/Momentum was already confirmed being in the game.

    Number 2, The AI trying to compensate for what they believe is the user being out of position is generally what causes atrocious AI positioning. Like if you intercept a pass and get a breakaway from it but you are rushing with a defenseman the wingers will not stay in the rush and set up for a one timer. Instead they drop back to compensate for what they think is the user taking a player way out of position. When in reality what we see is a dumb computer player ruining a perfectly good 2on1. I also see this happen alot when both D are together skating back into your own zone and the user steps up with one. The other AI Dman registers this as the user being out of position, especially when you follow the puck carrier to the opposite side, and instead of covering their man and blocking cross crease passes the AI reacts like it's alone and instead of covering the man, just tries to step up, most times into nothing. But what we see in reality is a single puck carrier rushing alone on a 1on2, so both D are back and only 1 opposing player rushing, so as the user you step up with one to prevent a clean shot and just man up on them because you should have an advantage, that is until the AI abandons their position, ignores the players trailing the play and steps up into the high slot for no reason and leaves the cross crease open for the trailing winger to set up, after a few spins and backskates it usually results in a goal against from what started as a 1on2. So my point is that as it is now as you said "so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing." That reactive style that governs computer behavior causes alot of dumb computer plays .

    Moving to #3, so pretty much puck ragging. It's not often an NHL team will be so picky about zone entry that they will get through the neutral zone and just as they approach the blue line decide they don't like the look of this and pass backwards, it's stupid and not realistic at all to keep passing backwards trying to enter the zone by skating in. You say " I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry." But i guess that is how EA hockey has to be played, because if you tried to do what almost every real hockey team would do if they were rushing and didn't like the look, they would dump the puck and chase it down in the corners, but in EA world 90% of the time the dump would just go over the glass and be the same as an offsides anyway. So puck ragging and doubling back until a lane opens is the meta.

    And finally #4, it's not really an opinion, its a fact that the great majority of people who play this game at some point feel as if its an uphill battle with some sort handicap against them. All of them report times where no matter how good they are playing, say 40+ shots and 10+ TOA, they hit several posts, have difficulty picking up loose pucks in open space, players unnecessarily bobble passes, and are noticeably slower than previous games. Meanwhile the other team has 4 goals on just 5 shots and all of them generally have a story behind them and werent clean goals. So that part of the equation is not opinion, that is actually happening weither or not it's a programmed thing into thing the game is left to opinion sure, but its a cold hard fact the great majority of your customers are experiencing the same symptoms.

    I agree with everything except point #3. You are very wrong on that point.

    If you pass back to reset your breakout, it is not even close to "puck ragging" and secondly, many teams will turn back near the blue line if they don't like what they see and reset their attack. I see it all the time.

    In my head what im seeing is those players that will constantly go from side to side inbetween the bluelines. If you follow them and mirror their movements with your defensive player they double back and try to skate in on the other side, if that's not open they repeat. I've seen players do this 10+ times on one rush, just waiting for a defensive player to overcommit or the inevitable AI to get jammed up and leave a lane open. And that is absolutely puck ragging.
    I've seen NHL teams drop it back to a defender because they have a preset zone entry plan that starts with the Dman gaining zone entry and essentially running a pass carry option. But this is very different. One is a preset designed play for zone entry and the other is a series of back skating and double back loops to exploit AI, draw penalties, or kill time. Every NHL team will get the puck in deep after the play breaks up. Even on power plays where they are clearly trying to set up set plays they only reset once, then if the play breaks they get it deep and chase it down.
  • EA_Aljo
    1468 posts EA Community Manager

    Let's address each bold statement individualy, 1st I thought Intimidation/Momentum was already confirmed being in the game.

    Number 2, The AI trying to compensate for what they believe is the user being out of position is generally what causes atrocious AI positioning. Like if you intercept a pass and get a breakaway from it but you are rushing with a defenseman the wingers will not stay in the rush and set up for a one timer. Instead they drop back to compensate for what they think is the user taking a player way out of position. When in reality what we see is a dumb computer player ruining a perfectly good 2on1. I also see this happen alot when both D are together skating back into your own zone and the user steps up with one. The other AI Dman registers this as the user being out of position, especially when you follow the puck carrier to the opposite side, and instead of covering their man and blocking cross crease passes the AI reacts like it's alone and instead of covering the man, just tries to step up, most times into nothing. But what we see in reality is a single puck carrier rushing alone on a 1on2, so both D are back and only 1 opposing player rushing, so as the user you step up with one to prevent a clean shot and just man up on them because you should have an advantage, that is until the AI abandons their position, ignores the players trailing the play and steps up into the high slot for no reason and leaves the cross crease open for the trailing winger to set up, after a few spins and backskates it usually results in a goal against from what started as a 1on2. So my point is that as it is now as you said "so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing." That reactive style that governs computer behavior causes alot of dumb computer plays .

    Moving to #3, so pretty much puck ragging. It's not often an NHL team will be so picky about zone entry that they will get through the neutral zone and just as they approach the blue line decide they don't like the look of this and pass backwards, it's stupid and not realistic at all to keep passing backwards trying to enter the zone by skating in. You say " I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry." But i guess that is how EA hockey has to be played, because if you tried to do what almost every real hockey team would do if they were rushing and didn't like the look, they would dump the puck and chase it down in the corners, but in EA world 90% of the time the dump would just go over the glass and be the same as an offsides anyway. So puck ragging and doubling back until a lane opens is the meta.

    And finally #4, it's not really an opinion, its a fact that the great majority of people who play this game at some point feel as if its an uphill battle with some sort handicap against them. All of them report times where no matter how good they are playing, say 40+ shots and 10+ TOA, they hit several posts, have difficulty picking up loose pucks in open space, players unnecessarily bobble passes, and are noticeably slower than previous games. Meanwhile the other team has 4 goals on just 5 shots and all of them generally have a story behind them and werent clean goals. So that part of the equation is not opinion, that is actually happening weither or not it's a programmed thing into thing the game is left to opinion sure, but its a cold hard fact the great majority of your customers are experiencing the same symptoms.

    Where did we confirm intimidation/momentum is in the game? This was in the previous generation but has not been in since the game released on Xbox One/PS4.

    For number 2, that's a fair statement. I probably see this less because I don't do a lot of hitting. It tends to take a defender out of the play and the computer is quite good at getting the pass off before you can hit them. So, I may not be seeing what you're experiencing quite so often. I tend to play a very conservative style of defense where I cut off their options for shots and passes more than go for big hits. I find I can keep my players in position better this way. That doesn't negate what you're saying though. AI players should recognize the 2 on 1 and play the pass instead of stepping up. Does that happen still when you change your defensive pressure to Protect Net?

    #3. When I say I pass it back I mean I'm hitting a trailing winger or defender in the neutral zone. I'm not passing it back to my zone and ragging it. There are times I'll also use a drop pass as I'm crossing over in front of a teammate so their defenders will be covering who was just carrying the puck while the new carrier now has a gap to skate through. Again, this is all happening in the neutral zone. This isn't exactly unheard of in real hockey either.

    #4. There is no handicap. This has been beaten to death. It simply does not exist.
  • It's great to have an open dialogue with someone in the "know" however you are telling people that you don't experience what we are? The AI doesn't have morons on one side and all stars on the other? If that is the case, could you please send us all the versions that you are using because we are obviously playing aa different build. I have watched so many games that others play and it's always the same. I'm not saying there is a Chosen side and I'm also not saying that it doesn't happen where both teams get good AI but that is incredibly rare.

    Basically what you are saying is if I am controlling a player on the ice, I have to do exactly what the AI wants me to do or they will play poorly? That doesn't even make sense at all. I have played vs some of the absolute worst players in this game and they have stellar AI. I have also beaten very good players that have had some of the worst AI in this game. It's very very random.

    There is games that no matter what I do, the AI is in perfect position, doing all the things that it is supposed to do and I win and even during the game I feel like my AI is dominating his AI and they are skating around in circles doing nothing. For someone to come on here and say "I play this game a lot" but tries to defend that this doesn't happen is either lying, towing the company line or playing something that none of us are playing because it happens to everyone.

    I know for me, I have given up on this game. The constant playing vs puck ragging losers that EA closes their eyes to and basically refuses to do anything about, the constant game of exploits this has become and NHL is one of the worst games for exploits that go unchecked all year long and absolutely awful AIs on one side and playing vs all stars on the other has caused me to walk away from the franchise. I have bought every single game since the very first one made and I am playing less and less every year. The game has become so bad that when I go on my ps4, there is hardly anyone on my friends list even playing this game anymore. Used to be there was 30+ every night playing there, now there is maybe 3 or 4.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Nevermind what I wrote just do what the title says

    The game already plays the same for both sides. The skill of the humans holding the controllers, the overalls of the players on the ice and the strategies you use are what determines the outcome of games.

    If that's the company line you have to spew out, I feel sorry for you. The game does NOT play the same for both teams. So try this that I did...

    I used the goalie, player locked. My ai players skated around like they had no idea what they were doing. The guy vs me, he had no idea what he was doing and was a complete tool with the controller yet EVERY time the puck was in a battle with my AIs, they walked away from it. Another game, playing vs a friend, player locked in a friendly HUT match, we had the EXACT same line up, EXACT same goalies, EXACT same strategies and both player locked as goalie. In this game, my AI were outstanding, winning almost every battle while his skated around like it didn't have a clue. This is so typical in every game.

    This game isn't fun, this game is a mess. Even when I win in the game, I have to fight my players to try to get the puck in the zone because my guys feel the need to get over the blue line before I do. If I do get a good chance in front, my idiotic forwards who are battling for position (lol, no they aren't, they just stand there taking up space) block at least 30% of the shots from the point. The AI in this game is awful and for people to come on here linked with this company saying that it's always the same and blame the user is laughable and no wonder this game hasn't and will never improve.

    There are a lot of variables that go into how they play. Strategies play a very big role as well as how the human is controlling their team. Even position locked, it's going to make a difference. Position locking as the goalie takes that human interaction way down of course so that's a better test, but nothing is in place to make one team perform better than the other by some kind of artificial means of momentum, ice tilt, DDA, etc. Nothing whatsoever.

    Hockey is an incredibly dynamic game. No 2 games are going to be the same. In back to back games in the real world, you could see vastly different outcomes. If you're position locking as the goalie and expecting every game to play out the same, that would be highly unrealistic. When you're not position locking, so much of how the AI plays depends on what the human controlling the team is doing.

    I get that the game is behaving for you how you say. Why is it that there are so many others that can get their shots through from the points? Why are they able to break into their offensive zone without forwards going offside? It's because of how they play. Yes, I'm aware AI players will go offside at times or get stuck offside. I see that too, but in my play, the amount of times it happens is far less than you're making it out to be. That's going to be due to how I play. I'm also very conscious of my AI player's positioning as well as opposing players. I often pass back in the neutral zone to create space for better O zone entry. Which is something that probably saves me a lot of those offside occurrences. I do that since many teams use the 1-4 and play the trap. It separates defenders and leaves a hole to skate through.

    You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I definitely respect that, but there's no towing of the company line here. I play this game a ton. I also look at it from both sides. As a fan and as someone that has insight into how it works. We don't expect everyone to like this game. We have, however, listened to constructive feedback from the community and made changes based on it. That will continue to happen as well.

    What he is basically trying to say is, it never ever happens that the AI on both teams plays equally. It simply just never happens. Every single game one team has great AI while the other simply does not. Literally, every single game. One team will have dominant AI while the other team's AI seems to always be behind the play and has trouble following the puck.

    To make one thing clear, I will state right here and now, again, that I do not believe in ice-tilt or any momentum engine. But there is absolutely something that is making the AI better on one of the 2 teams. I suspect connection or some type of lag makes the AI play less than desirable for one of the players. Maybe it is server related, I don't know. But to blatantly say the AI plays the same for both teams all the time is simply false. While the intent is programmed that way, the result simply is not. It is incredibly obvious who has the better AI in any given game. Strangely enough when your AI struggles, so do you. Your controlled player may struggle a bit on puck pickups. His aim is not the best when you decide to shoot. Unless you lay an absolutely perfect body check, you will not lay a player out. Your pokecheck aim is not as good as usual and often times get a couple of tripping penalties where normally you wouldn't. Your goalie will play like an AHL rookie struggling with personal issues.

    There are games where your AI can simply do no wrong. They are strong and aggressive on the puck. They seem to be open just when the time is right for a one-timer. Their passes are crisp and precise. The goalie is standing on his head making 7 saves-of-the-year in a single game while the other goalie flubs a wrister from 45 feet out. I see it all the time in EASHL. You can consistently snipe goals right off the posts. Some games I get the stellar AI, other games I get the drool cup holding AI. It seems totally random and it just shouldn't happen, ever. There is simply too much variation between both teams for every game.

    I am sorry to say this, but after having played somewhere in the upwards of 15 000 online games from NHL 14 to 20 I have seen it way more times than I could ever count and will argue till my last breath that the AI is absolutely not equal for both teams. Ever. Some games the gap is better between the AI, but most games it is obvious who has the better AI.

    Couldn't have said it better myself. I believe their INTENT is for both a.i. to be equal but somehow in executing it, something went horribly wrong and its been this way for years. This terrible a.i. is one of the main problems people have with the game, and its not progressing...its regressing. Hopefully next gen tech will give EA the tools needed to make MUCH stronger a.i.

    Id love the a.i. to adapt dynamically. Guy keeps trying tje same play over and over? Your a.i. catches on. That would force variety on offense.

    I realize you can set it so the game switches strategies based on game situations but that's basically a.i. on rails. I want a.i. that learns your actual skating, shooting and passing (or in most cases non passing) patterns. I want people i play against to be forced to try new things, and some may say well they take what you give them which is true but the a.i. could help eliminate this type of play altogether if they knew what the other player was gonna try for the 100th time. I can only control 1 guy on the ice at a time. That means i rely on the a.i. of 5 other skaters and as is now, that a.i. is very passive, predictable, and easily exploited. Time to try something completely new.
  • NYR188
    1 posts New member
    The game needs a lot of work to say the least .
  • We need a balanced game play. This seems to be a mystery for EA. I've asked quite a few times what sliders the devs are using, because they know the "ins" and "outs" of the game, right? No answer. I tried playing this game again today using PRO. All sliders are equal...I dominated.

    Playing on PRO: The advantage goes to the HUM. There will hardly be any penalties, even if the setting is 75 for both. The sad part, is on PRO the game play feels good.

    Playing on ALL STAR: Equal sliders. Game favors the CPU, without question. Your team will get a majority of the penalties (again, sliders at 75 for both on penalties)....the CPU can pass and shoot like Gretzky. They are faster and have those amazing comebacks. They don't lose the puck much even if they are knocked down.

    If All Star favors the CPU, then by how many "slider points"? In other words, if I put shot accuracy at 35 for HUM/CPU. And CPU gets a "10" point advantage, then the sliders should then be 35 HUM and 25 CPU. This would give us a balanced game.

    And in all honesty, I really wish we had the ability to turn off certain sliders. Why do we have a Shot Accuracy slider if the players have a shot accuracy rating? Wouldn't that slider nullify or reduce the players ratings?? If you put Ovechkin at a 95 for shot accuracy, but lower that shot accuracy slider to 50, isn't that going to reduce Ovie's 95 to something even lower, thereby, eliminating the effectiveness of the player ratings??

    There is slider that says "the lower (or higher?) the slider the more the player's rating affects that area. Isn't that what we want anyway?? We talk about player separation, but sliders are eliminating that.

    So, the mystery continues. How can we have a game that is based purely on the player ratings. What should the sliders and difficulty be set to. Simple.
  • Steven5470 wrote: »
    We need a balanced game play. This seems to be a mystery for EA. I've asked quite a few times what sliders the devs are using, because they know the "ins" and "outs" of the game, right? No answer. I tried playing this game again today using PRO. All sliders are equal...I dominated.

    Playing on PRO: The advantage goes to the HUM. There will hardly be any penalties, even if the setting is 75 for both. The sad part, is on PRO the game play feels good.

    Playing on ALL STAR: Equal sliders. Game favors the CPU, without question. Your team will get a majority of the penalties (again, sliders at 75 for both on penalties)....the CPU can pass and shoot like Gretzky. They are faster and have those amazing comebacks. They don't lose the puck much even if they are knocked down.

    If All Star favors the CPU, then by how many "slider points"? In other words, if I put shot accuracy at 35 for HUM/CPU. And CPU gets a "10" point advantage, then the sliders should then be 35 HUM and 25 CPU. This would give us a balanced game.

    And in all honesty, I really wish we had the ability to turn off certain sliders. Why do we have a Shot Accuracy slider if the players have a shot accuracy rating? Wouldn't that slider nullify or reduce the players ratings?? If you put Ovechkin at a 95 for shot accuracy, but lower that shot accuracy slider to 50, isn't that going to reduce Ovie's 95 to something even lower, thereby, eliminating the effectiveness of the player ratings??

    There is slider that says "the lower (or higher?) the slider the more the player's rating affects that area. Isn't that what we want anyway?? We talk about player separation, but sliders are eliminating that.

    So, the mystery continues. How can we have a game that is based purely on the player ratings. What should the sliders and difficulty be set to. Simple.

    The way some of the sliders are described is confusing as well. Its not clear whether to put it up or down for desired effect. Theres like 2 of them, but i cant remember which off the top of my head.
  • EA_Aljo
    1468 posts EA Community Manager
    Steven5470 wrote: »
    We need a balanced game play. This seems to be a mystery for EA. I've asked quite a few times what sliders the devs are using, because they know the "ins" and "outs" of the game, right? No answer. I tried playing this game again today using PRO. All sliders are equal...I dominated.

    Playing on PRO: The advantage goes to the HUM. There will hardly be any penalties, even if the setting is 75 for both. The sad part, is on PRO the game play feels good.

    Playing on ALL STAR: Equal sliders. Game favors the CPU, without question. Your team will get a majority of the penalties (again, sliders at 75 for both on penalties)....the CPU can pass and shoot like Gretzky. They are faster and have those amazing comebacks. They don't lose the puck much even if they are knocked down.

    If All Star favors the CPU, then by how many "slider points"? In other words, if I put shot accuracy at 35 for HUM/CPU. And CPU gets a "10" point advantage, then the sliders should then be 35 HUM and 25 CPU. This would give us a balanced game.

    And in all honesty, I really wish we had the ability to turn off certain sliders. Why do we have a Shot Accuracy slider if the players have a shot accuracy rating? Wouldn't that slider nullify or reduce the players ratings?? If you put Ovechkin at a 95 for shot accuracy, but lower that shot accuracy slider to 50, isn't that going to reduce Ovie's 95 to something even lower, thereby, eliminating the effectiveness of the player ratings??

    There is slider that says "the lower (or higher?) the slider the more the player's rating affects that area. Isn't that what we want anyway?? We talk about player separation, but sliders are eliminating that.

    So, the mystery continues. How can we have a game that is based purely on the player ratings. What should the sliders and difficulty be set to. Simple.

    Neither side is preferred based on the difficulty. The AI players are more challenging as you raise the difficulty. That doesn't mean they are preferred once you get to All-Star. You can't really play the same as you did on Pro. You have to be a lot more conscious of how they play. You can't hit as well because they move the puck faster than if they're on Pro. So, you need to be more cautious about when to go for a hit. The biggest thing is cutting off their lanes for shots and passes. They are always looking for open lanes and will take advantage if you leave them open. Play a more conservative defense like Contain Puck. Cut off their shots/passes and they will turn it over eventually. It takes patience as chasing for hits will give them the time and space they need to generate great scoring chances.
  • Steven5470
    349 posts Member
    edited February 18
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

    Neither side is preferred based on the difficulty. The AI players are more challenging as you raise the difficulty. That doesn't mean they are preferred once you get to All-Star. You can't really play the same as you did on Pro. You have to be a lot more conscious of how they play. You can't hit as well because they move the puck faster than if they're on Pro. So, you need to be more cautious about when to go for a hit. The biggest thing is cutting off their lanes for shots and passes. They are always looking for open lanes and will take advantage if you leave them open. Play a more conservative defense like Contain Puck. Cut off their shots/passes and they will turn it over eventually. It takes patience as chasing for hits will give them the time and space they need to generate great scoring chances.

    You say neither side is preferred?? Again, we're being told different things. One day we're told PRO favors the HUM, but you say neither is preferred? That makes no sense especially when you say the CPU moves the puck faster as the difficulty increases? If the CPU gets an advantage on higher difficulties, I would consider them preferred.

    If that is the case, then PRO is HUM favored, All Star is CPU favored, so that raises the same question I asked and have been asking. How is the CPU favored? What sliders would we need to adjust to make the game even? Is the CPU given a 10 point advantage on sliders for All Star? Then we would be hum pass accuracy at 40 and CPU at 30 to "even" things.

    From what you're saying, it seems there is no real "balance" between HUM and CPU in this game, which is a major disappointment.

    And looking for open lanes is a lot different than the CPU making pinpoint passes and incredible shot angles and skating much faster.

    So again, what sliders would we need to adjust to make the game even?

    Post edited by Steven5470 on
  • EA_Aljo
    1468 posts EA Community Manager
    Steven5470 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

    Neither side is preferred based on the difficulty. The AI players are more challenging as you raise the difficulty. That doesn't mean they are preferred once you get to All-Star. You can't really play the same as you did on Pro. You have to be a lot more conscious of how they play. You can't hit as well because they move the puck faster than if they're on Pro. So, you need to be more cautious about when to go for a hit. The biggest thing is cutting off their lanes for shots and passes. They are always looking for open lanes and will take advantage if you leave them open. Play a more conservative defense like Contain Puck. Cut off their shots/passes and they will turn it over eventually. It takes patience as chasing for hits will give them the time and space they need to generate great scoring chances.

    You say neither side is preferred?? Again, we're being told different things. One day we're told PRO favors the HUM, but you say neither is preferred? That makes no sense especially when you say the CPU moves the puck faster as the difficulty increases?

    If that is the case, then PRO is HUM favored, All Star is CPU favored, so that raises the same question I asked and have been asking. How is the CPU favored? What sliders would we need to adjust to make the game even?

    From what you're saying, there is no real "balance" between HUM and CPU in this game, which is a major disappointment. You can't say neither side is preferred, because it does depends on difficulty. Otherwise, we'd all be playing on Rookie.

    And looking for open lanes is a lot different than the CPU making pinpoint passes and incredible shot angles and skating much faster.

    So again, what sliders would we need to adjust to make the game even?

    I believe I misunderstood the statement. As you play on higher difficulties, the AI players are more challenging. They pass faster, take better shots, move the puck better, etc. So, I don't believe the more challenging AI is favored, but they are more difficult to play against as their abilities are essentially boosted to make them a harder opponent. If you want the best rewards, you need to beat teams at higher levels. The human controlling their team is going to need to raise their own skill to beat higher level AI teams.

    As far as sliders go, we don't have details on specific slider settings. You can experiement with them for offline play and find the ones that work best for you. Computer teams are a lot easier to beat on Pro, but there are of course some guys that would find Pro challenging. There are others that find Superstar easy as well. So, it comes down to your personal skill level.
  • So basically, there is no "even" playing field for difficulty. Which is a huge flaw in this game. I want to play a game where Ovie plays like Ovie. Where Andrew Shaw doesn't pass like Wayne Gretzky. Where a team with a 75 rated goalie doesn't play like a 95 rated goalie.

    From what you've said, it appears this game cannot meet those expectations. I understand that everyone has their preference in sliders, but, you being a developer and saying you have the ins/outs of the game, then saying you don't have details on specific slider settings? Confused. Does anyone?

    Sorry, getting frustrated because every time I ask that question it gets ignored, and this includes last few years. Plus it's like there is some unsolved or unexplained mystery to the sliders (let alone some sliders feel opposite or not explained well.) Like I said, I want to enjoy the game, but my fun factor with this series has dwindled massively over the past few years. The path EA is taking with this series is a dark one.

    If the devs can't give us specific answers other than generalities on what would make the game even (based on player ratings), then there is definitely something wrong with this game.

Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!